Changing Into The Powersuit

Fedifensor

Re: Changing Into The Powersuit

It probably wouldn't work for this particular character concept, but what about the powersuit actually being in electronic plan form stored on a fairly compact computer device that builds the armor around the character, with nannites sucking in metal from the surrounding environment via a Transform? Say that you have to grab cover and wait until the Transform builds up enough points of effect to equal double the suit's BODY.

Well, I think I should chime in as the GM. This will be brief, as I'm posting via my G1 phone, but I'll post in more detail tonight.

Suit as vehicle - Makes sense, but I really don't want to deal with the vehicle rules in this game.

AI to control suit without pilot - Very interesting idea. However, what do you use for STUN and BODY when the pilot isn't in the suit?

I really like Grimble's take on the van. Anyway, I'll have more to add later.

The vehicle rules can be a little headachey, I can understand not wanting to deal with them.

With the AI control, the suit would have no STUN, just the same BODY as it would have as a focus based on active points. But it shouldn't really involve itself in the fight, it should be a pure 'get to the pilot', and 'get unconscious pilot a safe distance away' procedure. Perhaps add on a smoke cloud to mask the character getting into the suit. But I wouldn't recommend having the AI have access to the weapon systems.

So, one of my players has submitted multiple character concepts. The one I like the most is a powersuit character - a small woman in a large (roughly 8" tall) powersuit. This isn't the Iron Man suit that folds up into a briefcase - it's heavy armor, weapon launchers...definitely not portable.

This presents two problems. First, how does she cart the suit around so she has it nearby when trouble occurs? Second, how does she quickly change into the suit without endangering her Secret ID?

So far, what I've come up with is a custom van that has the suit stored in the back. She'll also take some sort of disadvantage that reflects the extra time and effort needed to change into her heroic identity. Finally, I suggested having one of the slots in the suit's weapon multipower be Invisibility, so she could get out of the van in the armor without people noticing where she came from. Thoughts?

I would buy the armor as a vehicle; if it's THAT much bigger than the occupant, I'd call it a vehicle.

Guest steamteck

Well, why not store it in an attache case, despite that not making any sense.

It didn't make sense for Tony either.

Man, I really really hated that.

With the AI control' date=' the suit would have no STUN, just the same BODY as it would have as a focus based on active points. But it shouldn't really involve itself in the fight, it should be a pure 'get to the pilot', and 'get unconscious pilot a safe distance away' procedure. Perhaps add on a smoke cloud to mask the character getting into the suit. But I wouldn't recommend having the AI have access to the weapon systems.[/quote']

Agreed... You could add a limitation to the AI that restricts it from such things (or just play it that way). It would make sense considering the suit has a mind of it's own but little wisdom.

Just imagine if it was the jealous AI mentioned above. Allowing that AI/Suit access to the weapons systems could lead to a terrible first date for the pilot. Bloodshed on a date is usually a deal-breaker. :)

Okay, time to reply in more detail.

To go along with the power armor not being briefcase portable like Iron Man's you could build it as a vehicle instead.

As mentioned earlier, I'm not a big fan of the vehicle rules. Making the armor a vehicle causes point-balance problems with the other characters, allows teleporting villains to teleport the character out of the armor...it's just not a good fit.

Why not give the suit an AI (or perhaps a highly intelligent onboard computer)? That way the suit can move and act autonomously and meet her at trouble spots.

If getting in and out is a problem you could always adapt a similar adaptation to Alpha Flight's Roger Bochs and his BOX construct where the user of the armor "phases" or teleports into the armor.
I looked at both of these options (along with the related suggestion of using Instant Change), then realized the problem is a matter of special effects. According to the rules, it takes at least a Full Phase to change into a hero ID (based on the Only in Heroic Identity limitation). Older editions stated anywhere between a phase to a turn to change. So, I suggested a slight physical limitation to reflect the difficulty changing, and I'll handwave the suit arriving within a turn or so without requiring a point expenditure. Of course, the character will still have to find a way to get into the armor without blowing her Secret ID...

Yeh' date=' Perhaps she has limited Teleport technology?[/quote']

Not in the first version of the suit. I picture an evolution of the suit over time, getting more streamlined and utilizing new technologies.

It probably wouldn't work for this particular character concept' date=' but what about the powersuit actually being in electronic plan form stored on a fairly compact computer device that builds the armor around the character, with nannites sucking in metal from the surrounding environment via a Transform?[/quote']

Again, not for the first version of the suit.

With the AI control' date=' the suit would have no STUN, just the same BODY as it would have as a focus based on active points.[/quote']

Hmm. That's going to be pretty tough, as most of the character's defenses are bought through the suit. I think the current draft is 17 PD/15 ED Armor, with +3 BODY bought through the suit as well. Then again, as long as it's not able to use the weapon systems, that will work. If it could use the weapon systems, I'd be tempted to use the Automaton rules (which means the DEF would be divided by 3).

The AI may not be in the first version, with the suit's arrival already handwaved. But it's definitely something to add for future versions.

That said' date=' Jess did not build the suit... she is just piloting the thing. Now, she is learning how to maintain the suit but the brains behind the outfit is someone else (DNPC with mad science skills).[/quote']

Simple solution: The armor has a remote control unit. It's no good for fine control or combat (in fact, the relevant circuits get locked down in combat to prevent an enemy from seizing control), but it's good enough for the for the DNPC to fly it to the character's location.

How about, build the character with Multiform?

Form 1: Character in power armour suit.

Form 2: Normal human form with a computer built into either an automaton or a vehicle; representing that suit IS capable of self locomotion, but without dealing with all of the hassles of making the suit ALWAYS be a vehicle.

How about, build the character with Multiform?

Form 1: Character in power armour suit.

Form 2: Normal human form with a computer built into either an automaton or a vehicle; representing that suit IS capable of self locomotion, but without dealing with all of the hassles of making the suit ALWAYS be a vehicle.

Killer Shrike's War-Man model could probably be modified with the addition of an AI to accomplish this.

I've designed a heroine with a suit of powered armor that's more like Iron Man's (from the movie). However, the same solution would work for this.

She modified her car so there's a concealed compartment. The armor is stored inside this when she's on the go. When she needs to get in the armor, she parks (if she isn't already), hits a switch to open the compartment, then slides into the armor. Then it's a matter of sitting up and getting out. Although with a suit as big as the one you're talking about, it'd probably make more sense for it to exit through the trunk.

Conversely, you could go the route they used in the anime, Maddox. The armor looks like a crate. Hit a switch and it does an origami trick to unfold. Then it's a matter of stepping into it.

The reason the comic book Iron Man got away with the whole briefcase gig was because the armor was really a type of chainmail (on the nanotech scale). When he generated power into it, the links polarized into a solid suit of armor. Cut the power and the suit became flexible again. (Although there was STILL a lot of gm hand-waving going on there. :) )

The armor being hidden in a car is a good idea...though I think you'd need at least an SUV to hold this suit.

Based on conversations with the player, here's the latest version of American Steel:

American Steel

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

15....STR.....5....15/40...12-/17-...HTH Damage 3d6/8d6 END [1/3]

20....DEX....30.....20......13-......OCV 7 DCV 7

19....CON....18.....19......13-

13....BODY....6....13/17....12-

13....INT.....3.....13......12-......PER Roll 12-

14....EGO.....8.....14......12-......ECV: 5

15....PRE.....5.....15......12-......PRE Attack: 3d6

16....COM.....3.....16......12-

13....PD......3....13/30.............13/30 PD (7/24 rPD)

13....ED......2....13/28.............13/28 ED (7/22 rED)

4....SPD....10......4...............Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

8....REC.....2......8

32....END.....-3....32

32....STUN....1....32/37

7....RUN.....2.....7"...............END [1]

2....SWIM....0.....2"...............END [1]

3....LEAP....0....3"/18"............3"/18" forward, 1 1/2"/9" upward

CHA Cost: 95

Cost...POWERS

American Steel armor, all slots OIF (-1/2)

12.....1) Servomotors: +25 STR (25 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) - END=2

3.....2) Protective Shell: +5 STUN (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

4.....3) Suit Reinforcement: +4 BODY (8 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

32.....4) Composite Plating: Armor (17 PD/15 ED) (48 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5.....5) Stabilizers: Knockback Resistance -4" (8 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

17.....6) Fusion Plant: Endurance Reserve (60 END, 20 REC) (26 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5.....7) Combat Computer: +1 with All Combat (8 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

6.....8) Rangefinder: (Total: 9 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Absolute Range Sense (3 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks (6 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4)

7.....9) Radar: Radar (Radio Group) (15 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) - END=1

3....10) Polarized Visor: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

7....11) Jump Jets: Leaping +10" (3"/18" forward, 1 1/2"/9" upward) (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: 3 END from reserve and 1 personal END with full leap (includes END for STR)] - END=1

45.....Weapons Platform: Multipower, 67-point reserve, (67 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2)

9m.....1) Blaster Cannon: Energy Blast 13d6 (vs. ED) (65 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) - END=6

4u.....2) Gatling Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2) (67 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) [Notes: 6 END for 3-shot burst] - END=2

3u.....3) Concussion Rockets: Energy Blast 9d6 (vs. PD), Explosion (+1/2) (67 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

3u.....4) Flashbang Mortar: Sight Group Flash 6d6, Indirect (Parabolic Arc; +1/4), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1) (67 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

1u.....5) Cloaking Field: Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) - END=2

6m.....6) Flight Mode: Flight 21", x4 Noncombat (47 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (uses END Reserve) - END=5

17.....Combat Bodysuit: Armor (7 PD/7 ED) (21 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) [Notes: Worn under clothing]

7.....Earbud Communicator: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); Affected as both Radio and Hearing sense groups (-1/4), IIF (-1/4)

5.....Lucky: Luck 1d6

POWERS Cost: 201

Cost...MARTIAL ARTS

Kung Fu

5......1) Flying Kick: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, 7d6 / 12d6 Strike

3......2) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 / 8d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4......3) Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4......4) Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 30 STR / 55 STR vs. Grabs

MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 16

Cost...SKILLS

3......Breakfall 13-

3......Combat Piloting 13-

3......Computer Programming 12-

1......Demolitions 8-

3......Electronics 12-

1......Inventor 8-

3......Mechanics 12-

3......Systems Operation 12-

3......KS: Aviation (INT-based) 12-

1......KS: Kung-Fu 8-

3......PS: Military Pilot (DEX-based) 13-

2......SS: Computer-Aided Design (CAD) 11-

3......TF: Combat Aircraft, Helicopters, Large Planes, Small Planes

4......WF: Small Arms, Vehicle Weapons (group)

SKILLS Cost: 36

Cost...PERKS

2......Fringe Benefit: Pilot License, U.S. Military Veteran

PERKS Cost: 2

Value..DISADVANTAGES

20.....Normal Characteristic Maxima

15.....Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major

10.....Dependent NPC: Grandfather 8- (Incompetent; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

5.....Distinctive Features: Large, bulky battlesuit (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10.....Physical Limitation: Extra effort to change into Hero ID (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

5.....Physical Limitation: Big and heavy in Hero ID (8" tall, 500 lbs) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

15.....Hunted: Rising Sun 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

10.....Hunted: DDI 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10.....Hunted: Mystery Supervillain 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Patriotic (Common, Strong)

15.....Psychological Limitation: Protects Innocents (Common, Strong)

10.....Psychological Limitation: Losing faith in "the system" (Common, Moderate)

10.....Psychological Limitation: Must prove herself the equal of "superpowered" beings (Uncommon, Strong)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 150

Base Pts: 200

Exp Required: 0

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 350

While the question seems solved, if you did want to build the suit as a vehicle, a solution to the speed issue would be to make all/most of the suits powers Usable Simultaneously - armor, weapons, movement, etc. Then your effective speed is the sum of your speeds, rather than the lower.

The last Power Armor guy I played (Teleporting/streching brick, using the power of a controlled point singularity - rubber science at it's finest! :D) had a 'speedial' set up on his cellphone. When he hit it, the phone called the armor, which would then teleport 'onto' him. Really just a special effect for Instant Change... and OIHID rather than OIF. :smoke:

The last Power Armor guy I played (Teleporting/streching brick' date=' using the power of a controlled point singularity - rubber science at it's finest! :D) had a 'speedial' set up on his cellphone. When he hit it, the phone called the armor, which would then teleport 'onto' him. Really just a special effect for Instant Change... and OIHID rather than OIF. :smoke:[/quote']

ilike the idea of that

ilike the idea of that

Michel Roche, 6 generations descended from the famous French phyiscist Édouard Roche, had a slight mishap while using a large particle accellerator for research, and accidentally collasped several tons of the machinery and the surrounding rock into a point singularity - which was held in place by the other surviving magnets of the accllerator...

You get the picture form there... :D

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to give a nod of thanks to everyone who gave their two cents for my suit character. Here is the completed character for your reading pleasure:

American Steel

Player: Zac

Val Char Cost

15/40 STR 5

20 DEX 30

19 CON 18

13/17 BODY 6

13 INT 3

14 EGO 8

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

12/29 PD 2

13/28 ED 2

4 SPD 10

8 REC 2

32 END -3

31/36 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3"/19" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 91

Cost Power

Resolve Mk III Combat Chasse, all slots OIF (-1/2)

12 1) Servomotors: +25 STR (25 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

3 2) Protective Shell: +5 STUN (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

4 3) Suit Reinforcement: +4 BODY (8 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

32 4) Composite Plating: Armor (17 PD/15 ED) (48 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5 5) Stabilizers: Knockback Resistance -4" (8 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

17 6) Fusion Plant: Endurance Reserve (65 END, 20 REC) (26 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5 7) Targeting Computer: +1 with All Combat (8 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

6 8) Rangefinder: (Total: 9 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Absolute Range Sense (3 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks (6 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) (Real Cost: 4)

7 9) Radar: Radar (Radio Group) (15 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

3 10) Polarized Visor: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

6 11) Sealed Systems: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (13 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

7 12) Jump Jets: Leaping +11" (3"/19" forward, 1 1/2"/9 1/2" upward) (11 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) [Notes: 3 END from reserve and 1 personal END with full leap (includes END for STR)]

45 Weapons Platform: Multipower, 67-point reserve, (67 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2)

9m 1) Blaster Cannon: Energy Blast 13d6 (65 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

4u 2) Gatling Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/2) (67 Active Points); OIF (-1/2) [Notes: 6 END for 3-shot burst]

3u 3) Concussion Rockets: Energy Blast 9d6, Explosion (+1/2) (67 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

3u 4) Vertigo Mortar: Energy Blast 4d6, Indirect (Parabolic Arc; +1/4), No Normal Defense (Hearing Flash Defense, Life Support-Safe in High Pressure; +1), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1) (65 Active Points); 8 Charges (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

2u 5) Phalanx CIWS: (Total: 51 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost) Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel), Full Range (+1) (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 15) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks (6 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 3) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +5 vs. Penalities vs Multilple Deflections with All Attacks (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7)

1u 6) Cloaking Field: Invisibility to Sight Group (20 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

6m 7) Combat Manuverability: Flight 21", x4 Noncombat (47 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

Combat Body Suit, all slots IIF (-1/4)

17 1) Composite Weave Armor: Armor (7 PD/7 ED) (21 Active Points); IIF (-1/4) [Notes: Worn under clothing]

7 2) Earbud Communicator: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); Affected as both Radio and Hearing sense groups (-1/4), IIF (-1/4)

5 Lucky: Luck 1d6

Powers Cost: 209

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Kung Fu

5 1) Flying Kick: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, 7d6 / 12d6 Strike

3 2) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 / 8d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4 3) Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 4) Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 30 STR / 55 STR vs. Grabs

Martial Arts Cost: 16

Cost Skill

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Combat Piloting 13-

3 Computer Programming 12-

1 Demolitions 8-

3 Electronics 12-

1 Inventor 8-

3 Mechanics 12-

3 Systems Operation 12-

3 KS: Aviation 12-

1 KS: Kung-Fu 8-

3 PS: Military Pilot 13-

3 SS: Computer-Aided Design (CAD) 12-

3 TF: Combat Aircraft, Helicopters, Large Planes, Small Planes

4 WF: Small Arms, Vehicle Weapons (group)

Skills Cost: 37

Cost Perk

2 Fringe Benefit: Pilot License, U.S. Military Veteran

Perks Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 355

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major

10 Dependent NPC: Grandfather 8- (Incompetent; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

5 Distinctive Features: Large, bulky battlesuit (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Physical Limitation: Extra effort to change into Hero ID (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

5 Physical Limitation: Big and heavy in Hero ID (8" tall, 500 lbs) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

15 Hunted: Rising Sun 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: DDI 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Blitzkreig 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

15 Psychological Limitation: Patriotic (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Protects Innocents (Common, Strong)

10 Psychological Limitation: Losing faith in "the system" (Common, Moderate)

10 Psychological Limitation: Must prove herself the equal of "superpowered" beings (Uncommon, Strong)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 5

Total Experience Available: 5

Experience Unspent: 0