Jungle Character - Summon Animals, Transfixing Gaze

thereisnoart

I'm new to HERO and had a couple of questions about some powers I want to build:

Firstly, I want the character to be able to call out and Summon animals that live in the nearby area. Building the actual Summon is easy (thanks to limitations and advantages), but this is my problem - I want the character to sometimes call on one powerful animal (elephant, cheetah, wolf, etc.) and other times call on several, less-powerful animals (group of monkeys, squirrels, cats, etc.). Should I build two different Summons into a multipower to reflect the different scenarios? Or can one Summon handle all of these situations?

Secondly, I want the character to be able to freeze people in their tracks as long as they maintain eye contact (transfixing gaze - like a snake). I thought of building this as an Entangle with "Requires Eye Contact", but I didn't think you could apply that limitation to physical powers. Then I thought it could be a Mind Control, but I wasn't sure how I could properly limit that power to reflect the one-effect, one condition nature of it.

Any help, feedback, or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Jungle Character - Summon Animals, Transfixing Gaze

I'm new to HERO and had a couple of questions about some powers I want to build:

Firstly, I want the character to be able to call out and Summon animals that live in the nearby area. Building the actual Summon is easy (thanks to limitations and advantages), but this is my problem - I want the character to sometimes call on one powerful animal (elephant, cheetah, wolf, etc.) and other times call on several, less-powerful animals (group of monkeys, squirrels, cats, etc.). Should I build two different Summons into a multipower to reflect the different scenarios? Or can one Summon handle all of these situations?

That's how I'd do it, with a Multipower.

Secondly, I want the character to be able to freeze people in their tracks as long as they maintain eye contact (transfixing gaze - like a snake). I thought of building this as an Entangle with "Requires Eye Contact", but I didn't think you could apply that limitation to physical powers. Then I thought it could be a Mind Control, but I wasn't sure how I could properly limit that power to reflect the one-effect, one condition nature of it.

You could do it with Mind Control, Set Effect="Stand still" (-1/2). Or you could do it with a form of Mental Paralysis (Entangle Based on ECV). Both have their up- and down-sides. You could take Only While Maintaining Eye Contact for a (-1/2). Sounds fair to me.

Consider building Summon for the largest creature. Make it Variable of course, for different creatures.

Then build the next "step" down with Duplication. So if the "premier" creature is 400 pts, the next level is about 333 + 67 pts of Duplication, and you get two. Each step below that is 5 pts less for twice as many.

Each Summon is actually "ONE" creature - but the lesser creatures make up the points in Duplication. Given that you'll probably use "Must arrive under own power" and "must inhabit locale" and the creatures will arrive some measurable time after being summoned, that should work for hordes of smaller creatures gathering over a space of time.

For the other power, I'd consider extra PRE with limitations like "Eye Contact" and "Only to cause to freeze in place." That works on animals as well as people and means a lion will be much harder to effect for long than a rabbit.

Lucius Alexander

A palindromedary with i contact

Here's a quote from the Expanded Class Advantage of Summon from page 225 of 5ER:

If the Summoner can Summon more than one

being at a time, every being Summoned doesn’t

have to be of the same type if the Summoner can

Summon from an Expanded Class. For example,

a spell to conjure 128 lesser demons doesn’t have

to Summon only imps at any one time — it could

conjure a mixed horde of imps, firelings, scratchets,

and similar fiends. Similarly, the character could

vary the Summoned creatures slightly, to provide

individuality, but the variations must balance in

terms of Character Points. For example, one demon

could be slightly stronger, but also slightly stupider

(+3 STR, -3 INT); another could be quicker but

weaker (+2 DEX, -2 STR, -2 CON). The GM must

approve all such variations

So I think this would cover what you're looking for.

45 Lord of the Animals: Summon 16 200-point Animals, Expanded Class of Beings Limited Group (Animals; +1/2) (90 Active Points); Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2)

For the Transfixing Gaze, the only problem I see with a PRE attack is that it's not necessarily long lasting. You could maybe get someone to hesitate, but certainly not remain in place while you hold their gaze. Or to do this, you'd just need bags of PRE dice--probably must cheaper and more reliable to go with Mind Control with the Set Effect.

20 Transfixing Gaze: Mind Control 10d6 (Human class of minds) (50 Active Points); Eye Contact Required (Constant Power requires eye contact throughout use; -1), Set Effect (Stand Still and Look at Me; -1/2)

Thanks for the input!

Gridlock - I see what you're saying about the Summon power. What I was thinking, though, was sometimes you may want to summon a 200 pt. Wolf (for example), other times you might want a 300 pt. pack of dogs, maybe a single 50 pt. bird, and so on. I was wondering if you can do all of that with one single summon power or if it would be better to build a multipower with a few different kinds of Summons (single-being, groups, varying point totals, etc.). I'll probably end up using that Transfixing Gaze you built (or something very close), so thanks :)

Lucius - I think I need to read up on Duplication. That's a power I haven't really read...

Buy enough animals to summon at your max. You can always summon less, or summon a less powerul creature. Note that I also put Limitations on the Summon. If you're creating them from thin air, then remove those Lims because they require that the animals are native to your environment and the GM might make them take a little to show up (arrive under own power).

Duplication is not an applicable power here since it would be YOU who would be Duplicating. There's also the related power of Multiform, and that would be where, say, you turned into an animal.

45 Lord of the Animals: Summon 16 200-point Animals, Expanded Class of Beings Limited Group (Animals; +1/2) (90 Active Points); Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2)

Which is way out of the AP limit of the typical campaign for not much bite, especially given that the summoned animals are not bought Friendly.