The Monster As Hero thread

death tribble

Well the brutish hulk has been done, as has vampire, werewolf, man almost all of them...

Still I want a humanoid.

Perhaps... a goblin? ..no to World of Warcraft-y

We could have a Xanthian harpy? Lovely girl with wings and talons for feet?

I'm a brick fan, so back to hulking... How about a heroic Cyclops? Dressed to the nines with a monocle? :lol: maybe not

Okay, how about a heroic humanoid Foo Lion?

I've got a mental image of the Creature from the Black Lagoon as a Space Opera hero wearing one of those 1930s style glass bubble helmets' date=' only filled with water instead of air.[/quote']

I envision an attractive young woman in a skimpy, skin tight uniform (to insure it doesn't impede any movement of course), wielding a weapon like a Kyogetsu Shoge (I’ve also seen it spelled Kyoketsu-Shogi). She’s in a typical martial arts pose, her head is facing a bit downward with her eyes looking straight forward so the whites of her eyes are visible below the irises. There is definitely something evil about her with a black ominous aura and an unnaturally wide grin exposing serrated, shark-like teeth. Let’s keep away from the Asian ninja stereotype and make her a Scandinavian blonde.

Her back story would be she was a high ranking member of a criminal organization that has a super soldier program involving merging their agents with ethereal entities from another dimension any sane person would instantly recognize as demons. When it was her turn something didn’t go as planned and she escaped. Now with her soul corrupted, she has seen the error of her ways and seeks redemption.

I am still drawing a blank on Monster as Hero art ideas.

I like the idea of Gargoyle from the Defenders and Gargoyle in the Champions as featured on the cover of Enemies and in the Rulebooks.

Now the Vampire idea has been rejected as that was commissioned two years ago by me from Storn wielding two machine guns.

Werewolf ? Commissioned last year as a favour to a guy on the Atomic Think Tank who did me a favour.

Demon fighting for a country ? Liberty Helle.

Zombie or Revenant ? United States Marine Corpse commissioned in mid 2007

The above ideas in quotes I salvaged from the original thread.

What I want to know is what do other people think of when they say Monster as Hero ?

Yes Nightcrawler but doing a rip off of him is not what I want. Nor Nocturne for the same reason.

I have hit a brick wall and am looking for inspiration for this piece of art to be commissioned so give me some backstory some ideas to get me pass this artistic vision block. And it will be seen here.

It will also serve as a jump off point for anyone thinking how and why do I play such a character ?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Monster As Hero thread

If your really hitting a brick wall, use it literally. A monster made of bricks that becomes a hero. Say isn't that a famous hero already *cough The Thing cough*.

Really, when you think monster, you usually think minions of a super villain. The demons that an evil sorcerer, ice giants summoned by some evil goddess etc. Just think of the lines of a minion and make it gain sentience.

An example would be how a friend of mine played a character that was once a rock monster under control by an evil druid, who gained sentience.

Just think of the creatures you play against in a game, and make one of those a good guy.

I think of the Pooka or Púka from Irish myth a dark shape shifter that perfers the form of a horse or goblin. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pookah :

According to legend, the púca is an adroit shape changer, capable of assuming a variety of terrifying forms. It may appear as a horse, rabbit, goat, goblin, or dog. No matter what form the púca takes, its fur is almost always dark. It most commonly takes the form of a sleek black horse with a flowing mane and glowing yellow eyes.

If a human is enticed onto a púca's back, it has been known to give them a wild ride. But unlike a kelpie, which will take its rider and dive into the nearest river or lake to drown and devour him, the púca will do the unfortunate rider no real harm. The púca has the power of human speech, and has been known to give advice and lead people away from danger. Though the púca enjoys confusing and often terrifying humans, it is considered to be benevolent.

Werewolves have usually been depicted as fierce and savage, but what about one who's cool, stylish, and fun?

I just had a flashback to Michael J. Fox's movie Teen Wolf. How about updating that to modern day? Maybe a "Wolf in the 'Hood" -- teen humanoid werewolf in baggy jeans, sneakers, t-shirt and baseball cap, riding a skateboard. :D

Werewolves have usually been depicted as fierce and savage, but what about one who's cool, stylish, and fun?

I just had a flashback to Michael J. Fox's movie Teen Wolf. How about updating that to modern day? Maybe a "Wolf in the 'Hood" -- teen humanoid werewolf in baggy jeans, sneakers, t-shirt and baseball cap, riding a skateboard. :D

The Werewolf one from last year was a cop.

And as we have a werewolf from last year who is a hero that means no werewolf for this idea.

IMHO these are the original monsters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_monsters):

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Quasimodo)

The Phantom of the Opera (Erik)

Dracula

Frankenstein's Monster

The Mummy (Imhotep/Kharis)

The Invisible Man (Dr. Jack Griffin)

Bride of Frankenstein

Werewolf of London (Dr. Wilfred Glendon)

Ygor / Igor

The Wolf Man (Lawrence Talbot)

Gill-man

The Metaluna Mutant

The Mole Man

Mr. Hyde (Dr. Jekyll)

There a few characters up there that are not common comic fodder. How about a powerfully muscled Hunchback Brick or perhaps a Mummy who can use his wrappings like tendrils? What powers would a super-Phantom have?

IMHO these are the original monsters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_monsters):

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Quasimodo)

Ygor / Igor

Those two are often combined concepts, like in the recent animated movie. And that movie gives me an idea: the deformed assistant of the evil mad scientist who really wants to be a hero, so he steals his boss's gadgets. Perhaps a hunchback powered armor hero? He could be drawn lifting up the visor of his armor to reveal his gruesome face.

How about a powerfully muscled Hunchback Brick or perhaps a Mummy who can use his wrappings like tendrils? What powers would a super-Phantom have?

Interestingly enough, all those concepts worked their way into my revival of Professor Muerte in Digital Hero in one way or another. It was a definite monster-fest. :eg:

I always figured the Abomination was Marvel's Creature from the Black Lagoon as it has been said by Stan Lee that the Hulk was a combination of Frankenstein and Mr. Hyde.

Possibly the Monster from the Black Lagoon was the inspiration for both characters.

How about a spider monster like the mutated Tarantula (Spiderman foe)?

Those two are often combined concepts' date=' like in the recent animated movie. And that movie gives me an idea: the deformed assistant of the evil mad scientist who really wants to be a hero, so he steals his boss's gadgets. Perhaps a hunchback powered armor hero? He could be drawn lifting up the visor of his armor to reveal his gruesome face.[/quote']

I did something akin to this awhile back for a villain (but I love the hero twist even more), but instead of gadgets I had him steal the alchemy related powers of a few of his "bosses" from the above list. He had could change into a brick form (Mr. Hyde), turn invisible (Jack Griffin), and was immortal (pick one).

For a WWII game, I'm looking at a star-spawn gunslinger. His species is actually a distant cousin of Cthulhu (as in before Cthulhu came to earth from its home planet) so the blood has been thinned enough to make a less monsterous form (only an automatic 6d6 fear-based presence attack on sight) and a mind that can interact with humans without sanity roles coming up (also, Lovecraft was a racist horror writer, so you can assume that he may have exagerated his subject matter a bit). The creature is tall and thin, with grey skin, red eyes, and a tenticled mouth (think cthulhu, star spawn, illithid (mindflayer), or (for those who don't know the previously mentioned) the mouth of Dr. Zoidburg). Its fingers are tenticle-like and has mouths on both palms. It's abilities include: cling, regeneration, infrared vision, and incredible speed.

The individual I plan to play is an immigrant to Ammerica named John Smith (he just showed up on Ellis Island one day; his origenal name was physically impossible to pronounce by human vocal sounds, thus it was changed) He works now for the military and wears a trench coat, a modified army uniform (black, without any symbols of rank), a black one-way face-shield (to hide his features), gloves, and a fedora. He uses a modified Colt M1911 handgun in a sholder holster (his skills with a handgun border on the supernatural). Though he keeps himself covered most of the time, he will sometimes be forced to take of his gloves to utilize certain abilities or his mask to use a fear attack.

Certain metamorphisises (sp?) later in life may radically change his form (as I pay character points for new abilities), such as the addition of wings.

[ATTACH]30568[/ATTACH]

What about a noble Dragon-Human character, Could be Knightly or a Mage type hero

or

A demon who is exiled from Hell, Now he collects(kills) the evilest souls he can find to stop the netherworld from getting stronger (kind of what if Johnny blaze was the punisher)

How about a twisted mutation ... like a humanoid slug-creature or something that has obvious skin deterioration and stretches (causing it's skin to stretch thin and possibly look wounded in the process). How about something like the Hecatoncares (sp?) or Chiron (from Clash of the Titans)? Something obvious spectral and dead, possibly showing a nasty wound?

Two of my favorite monsters with definite roleplaying possibilities are the winged ape in "Queen of the Black Coast" and Yag-Kosha in "The Tower of the Elephant", both by Robert E. Howard.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Queen_of_the_Black_Coast

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Tower_of_the_Elephant/Chapter_I

How about a heroic Banshee?

This grisly ghostly lady is traditionally the spectral patron of a particular family, wailing to warn of a pending death in the family. She appears as a woman in trailing gray robes/veils, spattered with blood, and is usually described as having either a bare skull instead of a head, or only bloody eye-sockets where her eyes should be.

But when James Montmorency -- a favourite member of Banshee Eleanor Montmorency's "family" -- decided to take up the mantle of crime-fighter (or superhero), this Banshee decided to accompany him and become involved in "the good fight" as well. No longer willing to just helplessly lament approaching deaths, Eleanor wanted to become actively involved in preventing deaths....

To that end, the Banshee inhabited an antique music box that kept reappearing amongst the possessions of her chosen "partner", James. Eleanor tried to get his attention with all sorts of ghostly phenomena -- knocking on walls, opening/closing doors, disembodied footsteps -- and finally visited him in his dreams on several nights....

It was a traumatic period for both Banshee and human, but they both finally managed to adjust to this strange partnership. And now James Montmorency carries around a little wind-up musicbox with his ancestress and partner riding inside it -- a naturally Desolid partner with low-level Telekinesis, one hell of a Presence Attack and a sonic RKA "Banshee Wail".

Even though the costume is wildly anachronistic for Eleanor (who died in childbirth back during the reign of King Charles II), she insists on appearing in the costume of a Victorian-era "Peeler"; an old-fashioned London police constable, with the addition (of course) of a skull-head or bloody eye-sockets.