So what concepts are you tempted to play on the MMORPG anyway?

Hermit

Names will be hard if Champions online is a success at all, because there will, no doubt, be a lot of competition for the good ones.

That aside, I'm curious. With the assumption being that you'll be able to and will give this a try, what concepts are you hoping to make? What will be the backstory to your hero? That sort of thing. "You" in this case is the various posters on these boards :)

Re: So what concepts are you tempted to play on the MMORPG anyway?

Well we don't really know yet what concepts are 'unworkable' in game play do we? :confused:

That said, what I fear won't be too effective but would like to play would be the thugbuster, the street level guy with martial arts and some gadgets/weapons. Hell on wheels vs. thugs and agents, but can struggle one-on-one vs. a single solid super. "Gee, my 6d6 explosion doesn't seem to affect Ogre much..." :D

I think pretty much everyone (here) will first of all try to recreate their various Champions characters in one form or another. I know I will, especially if a flaming pumpkin-head is one of the costume options. :) May also try to convert some old COH characters too.

Other than that, the game itself may lead me to make some characters. May try to make someone like an Empyrean to fit in with the CU stuff, maybe will come up with a good idea for a nemesis villain and base the hero around that, and maybe the costume creator will spark ideas.

I would be tempted to try Soulbarb but I don't think she'd fit the tone of the game well. She's more of a Dark Champions kinda gal, and the tone of the MMO is supposed to be considerably lighter than that. I might reserve the name, though, in case they make an expansion in that vein.

OTOH it might be interesting to see if Sylph would make a good fit for COMMO's premise, though she's normally quite the lightweight compared to the likes of Menton, Telios, Destroyer, et al.

Haven't had much opportunity to log into Hero Central in a long time, but that's not to say I'm not still interested in the characters I had at one point going there.

Well we don't really know yet what concepts are 'unworkable' in game play do we? :confused:

Well, to some degree I meant the back story that exists, if no where else in the game, in your head FOR your concepts, but fair concern about the rest of it. I doubt they'll be pulling off some of the weirder powers at launch. So folks hoping for Medusa of the Inhuman hair powers, for example, are probably out of luck.

I think pretty much everyone (here) will first of all try to recreate their various Champions characters in one form or another. I know I will, especially if a flaming pumpkin-head is one of the costume options. :) May also try to convert some old COH characters too.

True. I'm going for 'new stuff' myself, or very old stuff I haven't played in a while.

Other than that, the game itself may lead me to make some characters. May try to make someone like an Empyrean to fit in with the CU stuff, maybe will come up with a good idea for a nemesis villain and base the hero around that, and maybe the costume creator will spark ideas.

Empyreans seem to be very popular as an origin for some. I know I love em, and in fact that's one of my ideas for a concept.

I'm considering a Flagsuit/Patriot who happens to be a young Empyrean. A firm believer in the better ideals of the United States and Western Democracy, when his powers develop and his parent takes him to Arcadia, he agrees to keep their secrets, but finds many aspects of the culture too hard to accept. This would lead to a weird conundrum. Being an immortal with super strength, flight, etc among far more fragile beings, how does he feel defending the line "All men are created equal"?

;)

I would be tempted to try Soulbarb but I don't think she'd fit the tone of the game well. She's more of a Dark Champions kinda gal, and the tone of the MMO is supposed to be considerably lighter than that. I might reserve the name, though, in case they make an expansion in that vein.

OTOH it might be interesting to see if Sylph would make a good fit for COMMO's premise, though she's normally quite the lightweight compared to the likes of Menton, Telios, Destroyer, et al.

Haven't had much opportunity to log into Hero Central in a long time, but that's not to say I'm not still interested in the characters I had at one point going there.

*Waves back* :)

I understand they also bought the Dark Champions IP, so maybe if Champions online is a hit, they'll have a "Dark Champions" addition sometime anyway? It's a thought

And Sylph shouldn't worry, I don't think any starting character is up to facing Dr. Destroyer. I get the feeling he's the ultimate "Boss Battle" for the MMORPG, or at least meant for whole teams.

I have a concept that I've had various ideas on how to do called The Uncatchable Man. Speed, agility, cleverness, and an uncanny ability to slip out of Entangles. (Handcuffs? Don't even think about it.) Such a character would be relatively little use to a conventional super-team. He'd shine in the sort of solo play where he defines his own objectives -- acting directly against criminals on thjeir own terms rather than reacting to crises.

It would all depend on how much initiative the MMO genre really permits. The two fantasy MMORPGs I've tried have the sort of railroading that would make most live GMs cower in shame.

The two fantasy MMORPGs I've tried have the sort of railroading that would make most live GMs cower in shame.

That's the nature of computer gaming...you're either blatantly railroaded or you're allowed so much freedom to go out and do stuff that it's actually hard to finish the story because you forget what you're supposed to be doing. Live GMs can give nudges here and there that a prebuilt computer program will never be able to do (at least for the foreseeable future).

That's the nature of computer gaming...you're either blatantly railroaded or you're allowed so much freedom to go out and do stuff that it's actually hard to finish the story because you forget what you're supposed to be doing. Live GMs can give nudges here and there that a prebuilt computer program will never be able to do (at least for the foreseeable future).

And why, while I enjoy MMORPGs of quality, I will also cling to my old pencil and paper games for as long as I have the strength ;)

That's going to depend a lot on the character creation and powers portion of the game. When City of Heroes was being developed, they planned on giving people a lot more flexibility toward building a character, but abandoned it when the final release was done. So far this game hasn't shown much about how you actually make a character and it might change a lot by the release in any case.

• 1 month later...

Well i have been doing some reading and searching for info and found what you cannot do in CO. Non-human character designs are possible. But all designs must be bipedal and, ignoring wings and tails, only two arms. this fino is at: http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/AskCryptic

So in that in my concepts will be a an Undead ranged wield 2 guns firing necromantic energy blasts (if possible), an android alien techie and maybe an oddball type character.

Well i have been doing some reading and searching for info and found what you cannot do in CO. Non-human character designs are possible. But all designs must be bipedal and, ignoring wings and tails, only two arms. this fino is at: http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/AskCryptic

So in that in my concepts will be a an Undead ranged wield 2 guns firing necromantic energy blasts (if possible), an android alien techie and maybe an oddball type character.

"There will be no shapeshifting characters are launch, but it is planned to add them later. [16]"

While it seems Shape Shift will not be in place for launch, I am hoping that Growth will be. CoH has been teasing us with a Growth power set for a few years now and I would love to see how it would play in game (hopefully better than in the PnP!)

Although I usually prefer the "street-level" type of hero, If I do indeed give Champions Online a whirl, it's probably gonna be a super-speedster, if that's possible.

The scientist whose experiment went wrong, that has always intrigued me.

If I can't do that, then the mystic. Many of my favorite characters are ones like Doctor Strange, Doctor Fate, Brother Voodoo, The Specter, etc. The tragic character types are what I lean toward.

The hero that overcomes adversity, he can save the world, but can't get his own life on track... that's for me.

• 2 months later...

On the Champions Online forum they have let slip that they will be using non-unique names. So if you want to name your character Supreme Serpent, then you may. but be aware that there may be several other toons with the same name running around.

"There will be no shapeshifting characters are launch' date=' but it is planned to add them later. [16']"

While it seems Shape Shift will not be in place for launch, I am hoping that Growth will be. CoH has been teasing us with a Growth power set for a few years now and I would love to see how it would play in game (hopefully better than in the PnP!)

Yeah I'd really like to do a Growth char...if not then a Mentalist....

On the Champions Online forum they have let slip that they will be using non-unique names. So if you want to name your character Supreme Serpent' date=' then you may. but be aware that there may be several other toons with the same name running around.[/quote']

It's one way of getting around copyright infringement.

Only genre I know of where there are rights on characters in a story.

I'm up for the Mystic Blaster. I prefer the aim & shoot from a distance characters and the 'magickal' origin has always intrigued me. Perhaps a bit of healing, thrown in.

I made an amazing CoH guy who could mesmerize groups, pick out a single guy to KO, heal himself or others, put the group back to sleep, confuse and KO one guy, repeat as needed.... liked him a lot.... slow but solo-able.... Mind Master!!

Korren

I keep thinking I'll remake many of my old Champions characters such as the Grasshopper (Clinging Acrobat Martial Artist), Gloryfox (Tank with Flash powers when he hits), Spirit of Freedom (Shape changer). I understand Shape change will be something they are adding ATM.

These are the toons I play to create in CO, at minimum:

Whammer - A Silver Age throwback character. He's a big, strong, tough, lovable, overgrown and superpowered Boy Scout in a mask. A balance of melee defense & melee attacks, few if any ranged attacks or controls.

Quazar - Another throwback, not just to the Silver Age of comic books but all the way back to Champions 2nd Edition. Quazar is a flying Power Projector, and the second Champions character I ever made. In CO he'd lean toward ranged attacks with some defense and some controls.

Mystica - A Bronze Age toon, Mystica is a Power Projector and has a vast aray of utility powers. She will make an excelent addition to any team quest. Mystica has willingly sacrificed the quiet life she might have had, and uses her vast mystical powers to protect the mundane world from mystical threats. She understands that others may also be called upon to sacrifice in her quest, perhaps scarifice greatly, perhaps even unwillingly. This is painful for Mystica, but issomething she knows must be done. She will have a mix of ranges attacks, controls, buffs & debuffs with a minimum of melee & defense.

Shadowhunter - Careful not to slide to far down the slippery slope into the Iron Age, Shadowhunter is a Bronze Age Martial Artist. He is a stealthy stalker of the night. He seeks out the corruption that hides in the darkest places, and he drags the filth that dwells there kicking, screaming, beaten and bleeding into the bright and cleansing light of day. There are those who live above the law, but none are above the Famous Fists of the Shadowhunter. He will focus on melee attacks with some defense and a minimum of ranged attacks and controls.

And why' date=' while I enjoy MMORPGs of quality, I will also cling to my old pencil and paper games for as long as I have the strength ;)[/quote']

Yepper,

an' them pesky pencls get heavier evr day....:ugly: