Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Hint: 'The Ward' is not a known Major Arcana in any real-world tarot deck.

(slapps head) Its been a long time since I picked up a deck.

She doesn't have a fine sense of touch, a side effect of having her Basic Wards up all the time, which was why I put it originally as a Side Effect of the Basic Wards. You wanted it as a Disad, and I made it a disad.

Ah! Put that in disad on your next revision: No Fine sense of touch

Yeah, it was pretty much springboarding off the "Fear of Commitment". Remember, she's been an adventurer since freshman year.

Take off the rep and make Social Limitation: Fear of Commitment (Frequently, Minor) or (Occasion, Major).

Part of that is CvK- it extends to all sentient beings. And I think Code of Optimus Prime doesn't quite fit.

Code vs Killing and Protect the "whatever" are seperate. Batman has a code vs killing, but Upholds Justice is how he persues his carrer. You wont kill great, but it is not the same as protect the weak, protect the innocent, defend the public trust, etc. You could have protect the weak and no code vs killing (ahem Punisher).

Ryan ws not going kill anyone at the school, he was just being a nuiscance and still you stepped in.

No, this is Ryan, the Star Mage's other student. Mostly it's a rivalry in the "I'm the only one who gets to stomp you dammit" sense, at least as I see it.

ok, so Ryan is a costumed "villian" and your rival?

As for NCM, I tend not to use that, and it's a little silly for a character who is a mystic, and therefore can probably justify all kinds of characteristic increases through acessing other permanent spells. She'd just get around it, in other words, and that's not in the spirit of the disad.

Thats fine.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double Post!

Alright, here's Kuan Ti.

He's in line with Fed's version, except that he has Wood- instead of Water-based powers. They are:

3d6 Entangle

RKA 2d6, +1 Stun Multiplier and Armor Piercing

Telekinesis, Wood-Only

(Kuan Ti is the most commonly known Chinese god of war, who was once a mortal soldier that proved himself worthy. I think it's a good fit.)

~Gabriel

P.S. I'll have to redo the pic in order to change the color of his armor. :straight:

I dont have my books at work. What does Defense Maneuver I do again?

I wont revist the disads, as the are mostly the same. The rest of it looks fine.

(

Code vs Killing and Protect the "whatever" are seperate. Batman has a code vs killing, but Upholds Justice is how he persues his carrer. You wont kill great, but it is not the same as protect the weak, protect the innocent, defend the public trust, etc. You could have protect the weak and no code vs killing (ahem Punisher).

Ryan ws not going kill anyone at the school, he was just being a nuiscance and still you stepped in.

I mostly put in CvK because it's required by the campaign... I'd have put in something like "Code of Optimus Prime: Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. To protect that freedom and the well being of those weaker than I is my charge. Now let's go kick some ass."

ok, so Ryan is a costumed "villian" and your rival?

That's correct.

I mostly put in CvK because it's required by the campaign... I'd have put in something like "Code of Optimus Prime: Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. To protect that freedom and the well being of those weaker than I is my charge. Now let's go kick some ass."

CvK is not required, but there needs be a real reason why you did not take it.

Just to clarify: Does Ryan know you are the Ward? Do you know who Ryan's alter ego is?

CvK is not required' date=' but there needs be a real reason why you did not take it.[/quote']

Well, that's the problem, I can easily see her not wanting to kill anyone, and it extending to actively preventing all loss of life. I'm just not sure which Psych Lim to get rid of; a big part of the character is that reluctance to open up which is represented by the wards, and the beginnings of detachment from humanity because she feels she can't relate (hence why she's throwing herself back into hero work after being in semi-retirement for the past five years).

Just to clarify: Does Ryan know you are the Ward? Do you know who Ryan's alter ego is?

Yes to both, which is why neither of us is too eager to reveal/unmask the other, and have retreated to more... Petty forms of attack (mostly showing up the other, etc.).

I am not concerned about your general RP opportunities. I am concerned about RP opportunities when it comes to investigation. Generally, super games at 1/3 comabt, 1/3 personal, 1/3 investigation. I don't expect everyone to be Batman and not everyone is going to be able to investigate everything. Hell, you may not have the skill at all but you would like to poke your nose into, that is fine. Dont have KS: Rookery Gangs or AK: Rookery, but you want to hit the streets looking to Tommy Two Toes anyway, dandy. Now if you don't have the streetwise skill to boot, you may have a hard time of it.

(Not being sarcastic with this statement at all -->) Does that make sense?

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thank you. And no, I didn't read any sarcasm and I hope you didn't read me as argumentative. Just trying to get an idea of what the experience will be like. Having some mad hacker skillz is fine with me. Maybe Security Systems too? Or he could move in that direction if/when he gets XP.

You have 35 points of watched/hunteds. To make this mesh' date=' do you mind if I filled with the 35 points and tell you how it comes out? I think a single 25 point is pretty harsh:eek: I would like for the characters to have a few common hunteds (but not all) to give common enemies. Nothing bring people together more than a common foe.[/quote']

Fiddle as much as you like, please. Please! All this accounting is not my strong suit. :)

I have a DNPC idea. I will add that and do some tweaking and get him back to you tomorrow.

Thanks!

Powers - The Transform...maybe I'm misreading this...but without a limitation' date=' you can transform anything into any metal, instead of one metal into another. [/quote']

I just re-read the description of Transformation a couple times, and I'm still not sure I get it. The effect I want is more topological than transmutation. Turn swords into ploughshares, weld bulkheads, make guns inoperable, maybe make simple repairs to machinery, that kind of thing.

Does Minor Transform, Limited Target (any metal), Improved Target Group (any new shape) make sense?

Also...do you really need the Damage Resistance versus PD? 24 rPD is better than tank armor.

Beyond a vague idea that a brick should be able to soak up a lot of damage, I don't know what is appropriate. Whatever Zac says is fine with me.

you bought up AK: India beyond the base INT roll?

Can that sort of thing be handwaved?

Disadvantages - You have glory hound' date=' melodramatic, and vain...these all seem to cover similar territory. Maybe they should be combined into a single, more encompassing Psych Lim? [/quote']

Great idea.

As far as the "poor" disadvantage...I find it hard to believe a guy who can lift a tractor-trailer can't find a job that pays rent...especially when you also have acting skills.

Does poor mean unemployed? Hero Designer suggests "barely enough to survive on" but I can't find a reference in my rulebook. This guy is a recent immigrant with no degree and not a lot of marketable skills (Mississippi doesn't have a big film or fashion industry) so it seemed reasonable. I'm going to have him be going to school part time too.

Background - Seems okay' date=' but your ties to India seem to be stronger than your ties to Thebes, which could be a problem.[/quote']

I figure he's new in town, so part of his story is going to be how he makes ties. Of course he'll go back home some day, but "some day" can remain in the future for as long as desired.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

At first you were a Chinese dissident. The you left that profession and became the head of a local crime syndicate. You are now an escaped prisoner, but are you political or criminal, or both? When you had your position, did anyone from the CIA ask you to do favors for them? What about someone with the Japanese Intelligence?

What impact do you seeing being an escaped political prisoner (wanted felon) being in the US? Are you wanted by Interpol? Does the US government just give you a hand wave (yes he is a fugitive BUT he did resist Communists)?

I ask all this because it really paves the way for the rest of it (I am trying to understand disads against the backdrop of your background). You are hunted by the local authorities, but they don't classify as less powerful in this town, they are as powerful. Being a hero while the locals want to put cuffs on you is going to be difficult (but not impossible and it can be a great chance for RP). Then you have a price on your head. You don't have any ID (so no bad karma either way) and a 1 point perk to help stem the tide of hunteds.

Hmm. I didn't even consider Interpol or the CIA/Japanese covert ops. This makes for excellent back-story.

Let's assume that the CIA did its usual 'support the anti-Communist movement in Asia' thing, and then didn't back him up when he needed it. Aside from the whole supervillain angle, it rings VERY true. That does two things: it gives the US government a reason to ignore his presence ("We don't want this guy spilling dangerous secrets!"), which in turn explains why he came to the USA to hide in the first place. Perhaps the CIA are the ones who arranged his False Identity?

As for Interpol, I say they're after him. I usually see Interpol as being the most honest of the law enforcement agencies, and although some of them might personally think Taiwan was a better place with Kuan Ti in charge, they'd still try to recapture him for the Chinese.

Hunted: Bounty: Deathtrap 8- (As Pow' date=' NCI, Harshly Punish) - 15 points. Lets say that one organization takes up the Bounty, one that no one else wants to touch....[/quote']

I like this! :thumbup:

The Disads have been reworked. I dropped the susceptibility to jade (didn't make much sense with the new element), and added Enraged (14-, 11-, Fall of a Comrade), which fits perfectly with his backstory. 5 XP got thrown into 1d6 of Luck, since he is using magical power after a fashion (and I didn't want to tamper with anything else).

~Gabriel

Well' date=' that's the problem, I can easily see her not wanting to kill anyone, and it extending to actively preventing all loss of life. I'm just not sure which Psych Lim to get rid of; a big part of the character is that reluctance to [i']open up[/i] which is represented by the wards, and the beginnings of detachment from humanity because she feels she can't relate (hence why she's throwing herself back into hero work after being in semi-retirement for the past five years).

Check out the master list of disadvantages and see what tickles your fancy. You could create like a Cop Code or Heroic Code or something else. Some of them go from 15 to 25 points and may encompass more of the feel you want. You could then juggle a 15 pointer down to a 10 somewhere else.

Yes to both, which is why neither of us is too eager to reveal/unmask the other, and have retreated to more... Petty forms of attack (mostly showing up the other, etc.).

If that is the case, does he really quality as a hunted? Maybe a larger Rival is really the way to go.

Check out the master list of disadvantages and see what tickles your fancy. You could create like a Cop Code or Heroic Code or something else. Some of them go from 15 to 25 points and may encompass more of the feel you want. You could then juggle a 15 pointer down to a 10 somewhere else.

... Am I allowed to take more than 50 points in Psychological Limitations in this case?

If that is the case, does he really quality as a hunted? Maybe a larger Rival is really the way to go.

Rivalries are not defined by Frequency, unfortunately, so the only way to make that Rivalry stronger is to make it either have more enmity or make Ryan stronger, which really isn't the case.

Ok' date=' I looked over seven characters. Did I miss anyone?[/quote']

Was Chalice one of those seven characters, or did she draw an "instant out" for not being ready yet? (In other words, should I keep working on her for the 'next Wednesday' submission, or should I just consider that the application train has already left the station?)

I don't think the GM and I for Thebes are going to be a good match. I'm going to withdraw my application and intention to join this campaign.

Fedifensor - thank you for stepping in and helping Zac with the character submissions.

If the character image I provided was downloaded I humbly request you delete it, the copyright is mine and I wish to retain it for some future time. Thank you.

Was Chalice one of those seven characters' date=' or did she draw an "instant out" for not being ready yet? (In other words, should I keep working on her for the 'next Wednesday' submission, or should I just consider that the application train has already left the station?)[/quote']

I think you should keep working on her for the 'next Wednesday' submission. It's a good concept, but I think Zac wants to see a character sheet as soon as you have one ready.

I don't think the GM and I for Thebes are going to be a good match. I'm going to withdraw my application and intention to join this campaign.

Fedifensor - thank you for stepping in and helping Zac with the character submissions.

If the character image I provided was downloaded I humbly request you delete it, the copyright is mine and I wish to retain it for some future time. Thank you.

Done.

Was Chalice one of those seven characters' date=' or did she draw an "instant out" for not being ready yet? (In other words, should I keep working on her for the 'next Wednesday' submission, or should I just consider that the application train has already left the station?)[/quote']

Chalice was not one of the seven. Did you submit your character as an .hdc file? Or, are you unable to send as an hdc? If you are unable, please resubmit Chalice and I will convert him/her to an hdc. If you can send is an hdc, please do so.

There isn't a next submission date, just a drop dead date of March 13th.

... Am I allowed to take more than 50 points in Psychological Limitations in this case?

Nope. Still a 50 point max... that is why I recommended juggling.

Rivalries are not defined by Frequency, unfortunately, so the only way to make that Rivalry stronger is to make it either have more enmity or make Ryan stronger, which really isn't the case.

You have the first rival I have seen in over a fifteen years. Most people just dont take them Superhero side. To make a point, you are the first to my knowledge in catalyst to have a rival. Which is not a bad thing, just not a very much used thing :)

Now, if your intent with the hunted is to sup-up a rival, I can understand and work with that intent.

Are you dropping the water version for this wooden version? Or' date=' do I need to get you open for both?[/quote']

Dropping the water version. The wood magic conflicts less with other characters.

~Gabriel

Chalice was not one of the seven. Did you submit your character as an .hdc file? Or, are you unable to send as an hdc? If you are unable, please resubmit Chalice and I will convert him/her to an hdc. If you can send is an hdc, please do so.

There isn't a next submission date, just a drop dead date of March 13th.

I don't have .hdc capability, but I will resubmit Chalice for conversion to .hdc as soon as I can.

At present, she's still a rag-tag mass of incomplete powers, dating back to an earlier game with extensive GM involvement in PC construction. But her central concept is Energy Projector (Water); she's a mistress of the Elemental Water, with a highly-flexible power set for attack, defense and environmental/generalised water manipulations.

Oh, and I'm going to need to insert another 50 points of Disads.

"Drop dead date" -- I like that. It's an elegant way of expressing the terminal cut-off point....

I have one concern about Kuan Ti...the RKA.

Aside from the fact that it steps on one of Inertia's specialties (AP RKA), combining Increased Stun Multiple with Armor Piercing is extremely nasty. With average rolls (7 on the 2d6, 3 or 4 on the 1d6 multiplier) you do 21 or 28 STUN versus 1/2 defenses. That's better than my 2d6+1 AP RKA for the same point value (average 16 or 24 STUN versus 1/2 defenses), and nearly the equivalent of an 8d6 AP EB (which is 60 AP). Plus, you have a better chance of scoring big on the STUN lotto (a theoretical max of 72 STUN versus 1/2 defenses). For a 6 SPD character, this seems to be a bit much.

However, I have a suggestion. The beings of Chinese mythology have already been established in the Catalyst universe as having magics that can partially bypass any defense. How about this:

Shard of Wood: Energy Blast 7d6 (vs. PD), Penetrating (+1/2) (52 Active Points)

This would be a magical wooden shard that would hit the target. The impact damage isn't that high (average 24 STUN)...but it will do a minimum amount of damage (average 7 STUN) to anyone without hardened defenses, no matter how tough they are. Basically, the shard penetrates enough to cause pain. Considering you have an Enraged, it's probably better to have this than a power that will rack up a bodycount.

Alternatively, you could just do a straight 3d6+1 RKA for 50 points.

One other question - I assume your Elemental Control is some form of Chi magic, which means it would be affected by magic-based drains. Is that correct?

Yes to both' date=' which is why neither of us is too eager to reveal/unmask the other, and have retreated to more... Petty forms of attack (mostly showing up the other, etc.).[/quote']

Hunted: Ryan (the Star Mage), As Powerful, Mildly Punish (5 points)

Anyway, next revision, juggling about my disads. I'll note that I still feel uncomfortable not having the phys lim not slaved to the wards they spring from; it's less a matter of "You're getting back points" than "That's what the power does, so if the power goes away, what happens to my Phys Lim?"

How about this:

Shard of Wood: Energy Blast 7d6 (vs. PD), Penetrating (+1/2) (52 Active Points)

This would be a magical wooden shard that would hit the target. The impact damage isn't that high (average 24 STUN)...but it will do a minimum amount of damage (average 7 STUN) to anyone without hardened defenses, no matter how tough they are. Basically, the shard penetrates enough to cause pain. Considering you have an Enraged, it's probably better to have this than a power that will rack up a bodycount.

Alternatively, you could just do a straight 3d6+1 RKA for 50 points.

One other question - I assume your Elemental Control is some form of Chi magic, which means it would be affected by magic-based drains. Is that correct?

I don't think Penetrating EB fits the attack very well. It'll virtually never do BODY damage, which is the exact opposite of how a magical wooden spike should work. I think I'll drop the Enraged for another Disad, enabling him to keep the RKA attack without fear of accidental murder. He is a supervillain, after all; deliberately neutering an attack whose sfx require RKA just seems wrong. ;)

Since the spikes are magic, how about RKA 1d6+1 AVLD (Power Defense, +1½)(50 Active Points)?

~Gabriel