Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

That's gonna get pricey' date=' when you add in "Does Body" for an additional +1...[/quote']

Yeah, now that I think about it: not such a good idea. I'll try to come up with something else...:o

~Gabriel

I don't think Penetrating EB fits the attack very well. It'll virtually never do BODY damage' date=' which is the exact opposite of how a magical wooden spike should work.[/quote']

Correction: It will virtually never do BODY to supervillains. A normal human has a PD of 2, and will take 5 BODY on average. A person in 6/6 armor won't...but should a wooden spike penetrate modern body armor?

I think I'll drop the Enraged for another Disad, enabling him to keep the RKA attack without fear of accidental murder. He is a supervillain, after all; deliberately neutering an attack whose sfx require RKA just seems wrong. ;)

I thought the Enraged fit pretty well. Maybe just buy down the occurrence and buy up the recover chance?

Since the spikes are magic, how about RKA 1d6+1 AVLD (Power Defense, +1½)(50 Active Points)?

STUN only, as written.

Correction: It will virtually never do BODY to supervillains. A normal human has a PD of 2' date=' and will take 5 BODY on average. A person in 6/6 armor won't...but should a wooden spike penetrate modern body armor?[/quote']

An ordinary wooden spike, no. But this is magical wood that he's conjuring out of thin air and propelling at incredible speeds. If it were Range Based On Strength, I would agree with you.

I liked the Enraged, too. It fits his background well. Buying down the activation roll and upping the recovery roll will leave me some room for other disads I had in mind.

I think I'll go the RKA 1d6, AVLD (+1½), Does BODY (+1)(52 Active Points) route. It's not super effective, but I like how the mechanics fit the sfx: enchanted wooden spikes that punch through ordinary armor, but are stopped cold by spiritual defenses.

One other question - I assume your Elemental Control is some form of Chi magic' date=' which means it would be affected by magic-based drains. Is that correct?[/quote']

It's up to you. Qiqong is more about life energy than what westerners would call magic, so I would think that life-draining or withering attacks would affect it more than magical dispelling. His armor's powers are definitely magical, though.

~Gabriel

An ordinary wooden spike, no. But this is magical wood that he's conjuring out of thin air and propelling at incredible speeds. If it were Range Based On Strength, I would agree with you.

I liked the Enraged, too. It fits his background well. Buying down the activation roll and upping the recovery roll will leave me some room for other disads I had in mind.

I think I'll go the RKA 1d6, AVLD (+1½), Does BODY (+1)(52 Active Points) route. It's not super effective, but I like how the mechanics fit the sfx: enchanted wooden spikes that punch through ordinary armor, but are stopped cold by spiritual defenses.

Which reminds me, I need to make my Mental Wards resistant and build up some Stability Wards... But then, Ward hasn't had to deal with true spiritual combat all that much yet- something any true Taoist Immortal would have one up on her (and with good reason!)

Which reminds me' date=' I need to make my Mental Wards resistant and build up some Stability Wards... But then, Ward hasn't had to deal with true spiritual combat all that much yet- something any true Taoist Immortal would have one up on her (and with good reason!)[/quote']

That's an interesting take on things. I've been privately imagining that the superhero/villain scene is very different in Asia, with more of a trend towards mystical/mythic type heroes. That's probably not how things work in the Catalyst universe, of course, but I often develop weird preconceptions. :ugly:

~Gabriel

An ordinary wooden spike' date=' no. But this is magical wood that he's conjuring out of thin air and propelling at incredible speeds. If it were Range Based On Strength, I would agree with you.[/quote']

You could skip the BODY damage route by saying they're spiritual spikes, not a physical manifestation. So, when they strike the target, they're hitting the spirit rather than the flesh. Heck, you could make it a straight 4d6 AVLD EB. That stuns both normal humans and has the potential of stunning Primes from the agony of the strike (14 STUN on average, but a good roll can stun people with an 18 CON).

I think Zac's going to have a problem with a power that can destroy virtually any breakable focus in one hit. However, if you add a limitation like "Only versus living creatures", he may let it fly.

When most characters have a 10 to 15 BODY, doing 1d6 BODY through all their defenses is extremely nasty. Personally, if Inertia was hit with a Does BODY AVLD, he'd strongly consider using his Escape Velocity power...like most characters, he has absolutely no defense versus that attack, and 3 or 4 shots (even at 1d6 per hit) will drop him to negative BODY. Remember, Catalyst doesn't have a lot of death in superpowered battles, and a power like this goes a bit against the grain.

Remind me to have Zac tell the story of Mournblade, a character that got retroactively edited out of the Catalyst universe after I realized how nasty it was to have a Public ID police super with a BODY drain...using his power in the same situations where a cop would use a gun.

That's an interesting take on things. I've been privately imagining that the superhero/villain scene is very different in Asia' date=' with more of a trend towards mystical/mythic type heroes. That's probably not how things work in the Catalyst universe, of course, but I often develop weird preconceptions. :ugly:[/quote']

High-tech areas tend to have more tech-based Primes, while remote areas have more mystical/mythic Primes. The US has the highest concentration of Primes, partially because the higher standard of living draws foreign Primes to the USA. There's an old Dragon magazine article (called something like One In A Million) that I use as a basis for how supers are distributed around the globe.

I think Zac's going to have a problem with a power that can destroy virtually any breakable focus in one hit. However' date=' if you add a limitation like "Only versus living creatures", he [i']may[/i] let it fly.

When most characters have a 10 to 15 BODY, doing 1d6 BODY through all their defenses is extremely nasty. Personally, if Inertia was hit with a Does BODY AVLD, he'd strongly consider using his Escape Velocity power...like most characters, he has absolutely no defense versus that attack, and 3 or 4 shots (even at 1d6 per hit) will drop him to negative BODY. Remember, Catalyst doesn't have a lot of death in superpowered battles, and a power like this goes a bit against the grain.

I...hadn't considered that.

Of all the options I've seen, AP RKA fit the power best. I am, however, willing to accept that it's off limits, so I think I'm going to ditch the power entirely, and come up with something to replace it. When the most obvious mechanic is unavailable, it makes the power awkward to build.

Possible replacement:

- Wooden Fist: 1.5 Knockback (+1/2) for up to 35 Active Points of Strength, Uncontrolled (+1/2) (25 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (Mystic Armor; -1/2). End Cost: 2

~Gabriel

I...hadn't considered that.

Of all the options I've seen, AP RKA fit the power best. I am, however, willing to accept that it's off limits, so I think I'm going to ditch the power entirely, and come up with something to replace it. When the most obvious mechanic is unavailable, it makes the power awkward to build.

Possible replacement:

- Wooden Fist: 1.5 Knockback (+1/2) for up to 35 Active Points of Strength, Uncontrolled (+1/2) (25 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (Mystic Armor; -1/2). End Cost: 2

~Gabriel

Heh. Reminds me of the one I played around with, way over the campaign AP limit. The idea was to curse someone horribly for transgressions. She had to give three warnings, and you had to be stupid enough to bodily threaten her in her home those three times, but once you did, it was 5d6 of Major Transform- Human into Human with Unluck. Depending on just how bad your karma was, it would be anything from 1d6 to 3d6, healed by mending your ways or finding someone to remove the curse (fat chance with Unluck like that).

A completely useless nine, ten points that would nevertheless be awesome to see happen, just for the looks on their faces.

I have a couple other 'home defense' ideas, including a Teleport UAA (for guns and knives), Invisibility to Clairsentience (only while at home), etc.

I got a big shopping list.

Heh. Reminds me of the one I played around with, way over the campaign AP limit. The idea was to curse someone horribly for transgressions. She had to give three warnings, and you had to be stupid enough to bodily threaten her in her home those three times, but once you did, it was 5d6 of Major Transform- Human into Human with Unluck. Depending on just how bad your karma was, it would be anything from 1d6 to 3d6, healed by mending your ways or finding someone to remove the curse (fat chance with Unluck like that).

A completely useless nine, ten points that would nevertheless be awesome to see happen, just for the looks on their faces.

I have a couple other 'home defense' ideas, including a Teleport UAA (for guns and knives), Invisibility to Clairsentience (only while at home), etc.

I got a big shopping list.

Yeah, it's not the best idea ever, I admit. But I'm running low on Wood themed attacks that don't somehow violate the proscriptions of the campaign (or step on any of the other characters' proprietary mechanics).

~Gabriel

Yeah, it's not the best idea ever, I admit. But I'm running low on Wood themed attacks that don't somehow violate the proscriptions of the campaign (or step on any of the other characters' proprietary mechanics).

~Gabriel

I once played a Brickamorph based on the Chinese Elements (seemed a good fit as three of them are solids). I thought wood, being the element of life and growth, could be represented by a BODY Heal. It might also fill what could be hole as you have 10 resistant defense (meaning a campagn average killing attack will do BODY to you on an average roll). If Zac and Fed don't want to have a "Healer" character in the game, perhaps they would let you take it as Regeneration.

If you are set on an attack, how about autofire (I don't believe Inertia has an AF)? Instead of one big spike, you could fire a bunch of little ones.

Anyway' date=' next revision, juggling about my disads. I'll note that I still feel uncomfortable not having the phys lim not slaved to the wards they spring from; it's less a matter of "You're getting back points" than "That's what the [i']power[/i] does, so if the power goes away, what happens to my Phys Lim?"

Ok starting with the disads again:

Enraged: When Innocents Are Actually Hurt (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14-

This is a nice touch to your...

Psychological Limitation: Considers Herself To Have an Ethical Duty to Protect People (Common, Moderate)

I need to ask what "actually hurt" is by your definition. Scenario:

1. Mugger threatens civilian.

2. Mugger pulls out pistol and threatens civilian.

3. Mugger wrestles with civilian to get purse.

4. Mugger pushes civilian to the ground but does not get purse.

5. Mugger football kicks civilian.

6. Mugger pistol whips civilian.

7. Mugger shoots civilian.

Now, most of us would jump in at one BUT I need to know when YOU THINK would need to make a roll for enraged.

Legally it becomes...

1. Mugger threatens civilian. (verbal assault, low grade misdameanor)

2. Mugger pulls out pistol and threatens civilian. (threatening with intent to harm, high grade misdameanor)

3. Mugger wrestles with civilian to get purse. (attempt robbery, felony)

4. Mugger pushes civilian to the ground but does not get purse. (assault and attempted robbery, now the assault is a felony too)

5. Mugger football kicks civilian (assault, felony... could be attempted murder)

6. Mugger pistol whips civilian (assault with a deadly weapon, felony could be attempted murder)

7. Mugger shoots civilian (assault and attempted murder)

This is a lot of noise for a 5 point disad, but I want to get an idea where you sit. Where you put it on the scale determines the frequency. I see your enraged firing off between 5 and 6. The mugger would not have to really harm the person (they missed their attack, but the intent is evident)

Social Limitation: House Populated By Hyperintelligent Rats (who are her Tenants) (Frequently, Minor)

This feels like golden age sillyness, not Bronze age. However, I would allow a 10 point social limitation on your house Weirdness Magnet. Basically, all sorts of stuff can and will happen at your house, and at inopportune times (you have it as frequent). This could probably be explained away as a poltergeist or something similar.

It's up to you. Qiqong is more about life energy than what westerners would call magic, so I would think that life-draining or withering attacks would affect it more than magical dispelling. His armor's powers are definitely magical, though.

~Gabriel

Wooden Spikes: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Does BODY (+1), Attack Versus Limited Defense (Power Defense; +1 1/2) (52 Active Points); OIF Unbreakable (Mystic Armor; -1/2)

I don't know if this the really the current state of this attack slot. Fed did bring but that Eastern Mystics have penetrating attacks. That said, I could allow a penetrating attack. As it stands now you will be able to destroy foci, unless they have the Unbreakable advantage as you do. For special effect purposes, most commonly used foci would be fare game. However, mystical anything (no go), certain primes (no go) and certain technology (no go) would not be affected. Now, if you wanted this attack to be spiritual in nature (and put "only effects things with a spirit -1") I will allow it to do body still. Basically you would wound the soul, with no physical wounds visible. It would mean attacking foci would be off the table, unless it was a foci with a soul (Stormbringer anyone).

What do you envision doing with the RKA? I think that is really the point. Just because you have an RKA with the advantages that makes it more effective than Inertia does not bother me. I don't think people's RKA are going to be stepping on each others toes. I also don't think ya'll will be throwing RKAs around that often. Throwing around killing attacks means you might actually kill someone. You blast williy-nilly at a villian and miss, you best hope no-one is standing back there to get the missle.

Lets assume The Ward was in the group and Kuan Ti or Inertia threw a RKA at the Mechanix Robot (it is a robot and so takes no stun) and the missle impacts Joe the Plummer running for his life in the background. If The Ward rolled an 8-, you would be fighting you own party member. If Kuan Ti threw a killing attack at the Armored Thug with Hostage (aiming for the weapon, assume the attack is as is at this point), and the hostage took it in the chest... you would have Inertia AND The Ward to worry about (as Inertia has a enraged when someone is being killed... stake in chest qualifies). That is just enrages with two heroes. You also have Code vs Killings, Protect the Innocent and lot of other super codes floating about. So, I am not going to worry a whole lot about one RKA slot in a multipower. Let me know you intent and we go from there. You could just take it as a BIG RKA (what 3d6+1) and forget the added extras. Just let me know where ya stand.

Everything else looks peachy. Could you put your picture in the hdc file next time you send it? Thanks.

I don't have .hdc capability, but I will resubmit Chalice for conversion to .hdc as soon as I can.

At present, she's still a rag-tag mass of incomplete powers, dating back to an earlier game with extensive GM involvement in PC construction. But her central concept is Energy Projector (Water); she's a mistress of the Elemental Water, with a highly-flexible power set for attack, defense and environmental/generalised water manipulations.

Oh, and I'm going to need to insert another 50 points of Disads.

"Drop dead date" -- I like that. It's an elegant way of expressing the terminal cut-off point....

Since you do not have the ability to send it in an HDC format, dont worry about it. Just post your character when you are comfortable with them and we (Fed and I) will look at putting it together.

Remind me to have Zac tell the story of Mournblade' date=' a character that got retroactively edited out of the Catalyst universe after I realized how nasty it was to have a Public ID police super with a BODY drain...using his power in the same situations where a cop would use a gun.[/quote']

Basically, Mournblade was an Agent of Death. He was not a bad guy and he loved his job (cop). He was killed in the line of duty and Death gave him a pass. Death had a lot of free agents out there, there was so much to do and so little time to do it. Mournblade basically did his job, just like cops do, but when a perp pulled gun...a 60 active point body drain (no range) did the trick most of the time. It worked well on villians to. You powerful to harm the citizenry = dead. Tough punk in an powesuit = dead. Considering that is how cops usual respond to lethal force, it was all good. I think I toasted a few agents (like 1 shot = dead) and put a supervillain down for the count. After that, Fed had a change of heart and I got to make a new PC :P We just said that Death liked Mournblades' handy work and hired him on full time :eek:

(Posted from my G1 phone)

Point of fact - Inertia's Enraged is when someone is murdered, not just when someone dies. That's why I bought it as Uncommon. It has to be (or appear to be) an intentional act by the attacker.

I forgot, Inertia was a lawyer. Its all about intent with him :sneaky:

Just don't say "die" when you throw the spike :P

Ok starting with the disads again:

Enraged: When Innocents Are Actually Hurt (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14-

This is a nice touch to your...

Psychological Limitation: Considers Herself To Have an Ethical Duty to Protect People (Common, Moderate)

I need to ask what "actually hurt" is by your definition. Scenario:

1. Mugger threatens civilian.

2. Mugger pulls out pistol and threatens civilian.

3. Mugger wrestles with civilian to get purse.

4. Mugger pushes civilian to the ground but does not get purse.

5. Mugger football kicks civilian.

6. Mugger pistol whips civilian.

7. Mugger shoots civilian.

Now, most of us would jump in at one BUT I need to know when YOU THINK would need to make a roll for enraged.

Legally it becomes...

1. Mugger threatens civilian. (verbal assault, low grade misdameanor)

2. Mugger pulls out pistol and threatens civilian. (threatening with intent to harm, high grade misdameanor)

3. Mugger wrestles with civilian to get purse. (attempt robbery, felony)

4. Mugger pushes civilian to the ground but does not get purse. (assault and attempted robbery, now the assault is a felony too)

5. Mugger football kicks civilian (assault, felony... could be attempted murder)

6. Mugger pistol whips civilian (assault with a deadly weapon, felony could be attempted murder)

7. Mugger shoots civilian (assault and attempted murder)

This is a lot of noise for a 5 point disad, but I want to get an idea where you sit. Where you put it on the scale determines the frequency. I see your enraged firing off between 5 and 6. The mugger would not have to really harm the person (they missed their attack, but the intent is evident)

Yeah, 5's that limit.

Social Limitation: House Populated By Hyperintelligent Rats (who are her Tenants) (Frequently, Minor)

This feels like golden age sillyness, not Bronze age. However, I would allow a 10 point social limitation on your house Weirdness Magnet. Basically, all sorts of stuff can and will happen at your house, and at inopportune times (you have it as frequent). This could probably be explained away as a poltergeist or something similar.

... You allowed it in the background. I even wrote it in the background. It's right there, and is no worse (or better) than the Worms in MiB, which is definitely Bronze Age, if light-hearted.

Hi.

I tried to apply for the Thebes game in herocentral and got redirected here. So hope I'm in the right place.

This seems to be the format you all are exporting to, but the only option I have that exports like this doesn't give the backgrounds, so I'm just gonna cut and paste them.

Background and History:

Edmond Somsen had a quiet, unremarkable childhood - his father was a machinist and his mother was a hair stylist. Edmond was neither popular nor unpopular, bright nor dim. Adolescence arrived and with it, the first signs of aberrant behavior, of something more - or at least, something different.

At first, the Somsen's were concerned that Edmond was in to drugs - moving about the house at all hours of night, never seeming to sleep. When Mary and David confronted him, Edmond denied it, and they asked him to submit to a drug test. They were confounded by the result - that Edmond showed no signs of drug use.

Shortly after Edmond turned fifteen, a sleep specialist diagnosed him as having a severe sleep disorder - throughout an entire night of rest, his brain activity never changed. When pressed about how he had remained so still all night without actually sleeping, Edmond could only say. "I don't know. I feel like I am always sleeping, and always awake. I can no longer tell one from the other."

Over the months of tests, scans and measurements, Edmond began to develop more profound powers, and his status as a Prime was confirmed. With a mastery of sleep, Edmond Somsen took on the name of Hypnos, the god of sleep. After he took to wandering the streets at night, protecting people from nightmares both real and drempt, one smart reporter quipped, "You know, Hypnos was the brother of death," Edmond could only smile politely and reply "I've always wanted a brother."

Personality and Motivation

Edmond is a Prime, and even though he sometimes refers to himself as Hypnos, he's not overly serious about the connection or the imagery. With eight extra hours every day - not to mention, never seeming to exhaust himself - Edmond has gained a wealth of knowledge through reading, and has even taught himself a decent amount of hand-to-hand combat techniques.

Edmond is, as yet, new to the "crime-fighting" fold. At first, he wanted to live a normal, unremarkable life - but he has since reached the conclusion that such a thing is simply implausible for his 'kind'. Now he spends his nights drifting about the city stopping petty criminals and soothing away nightmares, pausing every now and again just to listen to the city sleep.

Sleep, and in your dreams forgot your sorrows.

Powers and Tactics

Sleep and somnial powers. Has become adept at speed reading in extra time. Self-taught martial artist.

Appearance

Nineteen years old, Edmond Somsen stands about six feet tall. Short cropped black hair and dark eyes, possessed of an otherworldly charisma and beauty, he could potentially be very manipulative.

In costume he wears a mask similar to the head dress Hypnos wore - wings extending from the head.

Edmond Somsen

Player: Ben

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

18 DEX 24

18 CON 16

15 BODY 10

13 INT 3

23 EGO 26

20 PRE 10

22 COM 6

10 PD 7

10 ED 6

4 SPD 12

10 REC 6

40 END 2

32 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 133

Cost Power

3 Ever Sleeping Ever Waking: Life Support (Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

10 Apex Physique: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED/1 Mental Def.)

15 Resilient Mind: Mental Defense (20 points total)

25 Sleep Control Powers: Elemental Control, 50-point powers

12 1) The Black Dream: Mind Control 11d6 (Human class of minds) (55 Active Points); Set Effect (Only to Induce Sleep; -1), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)

20 2) Dreamwalking: Mental Illusions 11d6 (Human class of minds) (55 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Sleeping Minds (-1/2)

20 3) Sound of the Slumbering Mind: Telepathy 11d6 (Human class of minds) (55 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Sleeping Mind (-1/2)

25 4) Daydreams: Ego Attack 5d6 (Human class of minds) (50 Active Points)

17 5) The Call Of Lethe: Mind Scan 10d6 (Human class of minds) (50 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Sleeping Minds (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 147

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Aikido

3 1) Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR for holding on

3 2) Grappling Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab

Martial Arts Cost: 6

Cost Skill

3 Climbing 13-

5 Defense Maneuver I-II

10 +2 with HTH Combat

15 +3 with Mental Combat

3 Conversation 13-

3 Stealth 13-

5 Cramming

5 Cramming

10 +1 Overall

Skills Cost: 59

Cost Perk

1 Reputation (A small to medium sized group) 8-, +1/+1d6

Perks Cost: 1

Cost Talent

4 Speed Reading (x10)

Talents Cost: 4

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

5 Money: Poor [Notes: Very limited resources, has a day job at a library. ]

5 Reputation: Do-Gooder, 11- (Known Only To A Small Group) [Notes: Hypnos has acquired a bad reputation in the criminal community as a do-gooder. Very few, if any, will help him - he is morally inflexible, unwilling to let the small fish go to catch the bigger ones.]

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently, Major) [Notes: Hypnos and Edmond Somsen are two discrete identities. Only two doctors know the full extent of Edmond's powers, and if they have made the correlation between Hypnos and Edmond Somsen, they haven't leaked it to the media - yet. If his secret identity is revealed, criminals who Hypnos has apprehended might come after Edmond's Family.]

15 Psychological Limitation: Oblivious (Very Common, Moderate) [Notes: Being part in his own dream world and part in the real world, Edmond can miss all but the most obvious of things going on around him. This may apply negative modifiers to (or in some cases prevent him entirely from making) some perception rolls.]

20 Hunted: Crime Syndicate 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish) [Notes: After apprehending and turning in the son of a local Mafia don for drunk driving, the son's car was revealed to have illegal weapons and narcotics, leading to his incarceration. The don is now out for revenge on the mask that stuck his nose where it didn't belong.]

20 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common, Total) [Notes: Well read, Hypnos has developed an exacting moral and ethical system, which he adheres to strongly. Both as Hypnos and as Edmond Somsen, his powers are used for what he knows to be good at the time, good is rewarded and evil punished.]

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing (Common, Total) [Notes: Edmond is unwilling to take a human life, and being a vegan, is inclined to not take any life whatsoever. [OOC Note: I'm not sure whether this is appropriate, because I don't know if the hero's in this game would all kind of have code versus killing as a baseline (because, you know, most regular humans generally won't kill in anything but the most extreme of circumstances.) ]]

15 Psychological Limitation: Aversion to Nightmares (Uncommon, Total) [Notes: Edmond has a preternatural aversion to nightmares in others - even criminals. Unless balanced against the weight of lives, or something similarly potent, Edmond will attempt to alleviate the psychic suffering caused by bad dreams when he happens upon them.]

5 Distinctive Features: Dangerous Beauty (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) [Notes: Possessed of incredible physique and fine features, Edmond Somsen tends to stick in peoples minds unless he takes pains to try and disguise himself.]

25 Dependent NPC: Melissa and Tom 11- (Normal; Group DNPC: x4 DNPCs) [Notes: Melissa lives with her son Tom in an apartment down the hall from Edmond. Working two jobs as a waitress, Melissa has come to rely on Edmond for emergency baby-sitting, though Tom insists at his old age of eleven, such monitoring is unnecessary. Edmond and Melissa have grown close over the last several months, and while Edmond holds romantic aspirations for Melissa, she seems either unaware or uninterested. Edmond knows Melissa still dreams of her ex-husband Daniel - a successful banker who she left due to his abusive behavior, and who is now trying to insinuate himself back in to her life.]

5 Rivalry: Romantic (Daniel; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry) [Notes: Daniel Morrisy is the ex-husband of Edmond's next door neighbor, Melissa and father of their son, Tom. Daniel has met Edmond on two occassions, once at Melissa's apartment while Edmond was baby-sitting and once at Edmond's place of work (the Thebe's Central Library), to warn Edmond to "Stay away from his wife."]

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Thanks for your time! :)

... You allowed it in the background. I even wrote it in the background. It's right there' date=' and is no worse (or better) than the Worms in MiB, which is definitely Bronze Age, if light-hearted.[/quote']

I don't recall seeing it, which is easy to do right now. The whole idea of hyper-intelligent animals is something I have not considered (at all, even on drugs).

[OK, I went back and looked at you bio. It does say Rats in the basement. I get that... old house. I did not put 2+2 together to get hyper-intelligent rats out of How was she supposed to know his familiar had gotten around with the rats in the basement... Probably should have, but didn't]

Do you mind them getting out an infecting other areas of the city? They are rats after all, they do breed like crazy. I see a mission with some guy and a set of pipes in my future :eek:

I don't recall seeing it, which is easy to do right now. The whole idea of hyper-intelligent animals is something I have not considered (at all, even on drugs).

[OK, I went back and looked at you bio. It does say Rats in the basement. I get that... old house. I did not put 2+2 together to get hyper-intelligent rats out of How was she supposed to know his familiar had gotten around with the rats in the basement... Probably should have, but didn't]

Do you mind them getting out an infecting other areas of the city? They are rats after all, they do breed like crazy. I see a mission with some guy and a set of pipes in my future :eek:

Mind Control, Area of Effect: Radius, Telepathic, Multiple Classes (At least Animal and Human), Only To Make the Target Follow the Character, OAF: Flute, RSR: Flute Playing

Edmond Somsen

Player: Ben

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

18 DEX 24

18 CON 16

15 BODY 10

13 INT 3

23 EGO 26

20 PRE 10

22 COM 6

10 PD 7

10 ED 6

4 SPD 12

10 REC 6

40 END 2

32 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 133

Cost Power

3 Ever Sleeping Ever Waking: Life Support (Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

10 Apex Physique: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED/1 Mental Def.)

15 Resilient Mind: Mental Defense (20 points total)

25 Sleep Control Powers: Elemental Control, 50-point powers

12 1) The Black Dream: Mind Control 11d6 (Human class of minds) (55 Active Points); Set Effect (Only to Induce Sleep; -1), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)

20 2) Dreamwalking: Mental Illusions 11d6 (Human class of minds) (55 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Sleeping Minds (-1/2)

20 3) Sound of the Slumbering Mind: Telepathy 11d6 (Human class of minds) (55 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Sleeping Mind (-1/2)

25 4) Daydreams: Ego Attack 5d6 (Human class of minds) (50 Active Points)

17 5) The Call Of Lethe: Mind Scan 10d6 (Human class of minds) (50 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Sleeping Minds (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 147

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

Aikido

3 1) Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR for holding on

3 2) Grappling Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab

Martial Arts Cost: 6

Cost Skill

3 Climbing 13-

5 Defense Maneuver I-II

10 +2 with HTH Combat

15 +3 with Mental Combat

3 Conversation 13-

3 Stealth 13-

5 Cramming

5 Cramming

10 +1 Overall

Skills Cost: 59

Cost Perk

1 Reputation (A small to medium sized group) 8-, +1/+1d6

Perks Cost: 1

Cost Talent

4 Speed Reading (x10)

Talents Cost: 4

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

5 Money: Poor [Notes: Very limited resources, has a day job at a library. ]

5 Reputation: Do-Gooder, 11- (Known Only To A Small Group) [Notes: Hypnos has acquired a bad reputation in the criminal community as a do-gooder. Very few, if any, will help him - he is morally inflexible, unwilling to let the small fish go to catch the bigger ones.]

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently, Major) [Notes: Hypnos and Edmond Somsen are two discrete identities. Only two doctors know the full extent of Edmond's powers, and if they have made the correlation between Hypnos and Edmond Somsen, they haven't leaked it to the media - yet. If his secret identity is revealed, criminals who Hypnos has apprehended might come after Edmond's Family.]

15 Psychological Limitation: Oblivious (Very Common, Moderate) [Notes: Being part in his own dream world and part in the real world, Edmond can miss all but the most obvious of things going on around him. This may apply negative modifiers to (or in some cases prevent him entirely from making) some perception rolls.]

20 Hunted: Crime Syndicate 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish) [Notes: After apprehending and turning in the son of a local Mafia don for drunk driving, the son's car was revealed to have illegal weapons and narcotics, leading to his incarceration. The don is now out for revenge on the mask that stuck his nose where it didn't belong.]

20 Psychological Limitation: Honorable (Common, Total) [Notes: Well read, Hypnos has developed an exacting moral and ethical system, which he adheres to strongly. Both as Hypnos and as Edmond Somsen, his powers are used for what he knows to be good at the time, good is rewarded and evil punished.]

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing (Common, Total) [Notes: Edmond is unwilling to take a human life, and being a vegan, is inclined to not take any life whatsoever. [OOC Note: I'm not sure whether this is appropriate, because I don't know if the hero's in this game would all kind of have code versus killing as a baseline (because, you know, most regular humans generally won't kill in anything but the most extreme of circumstances.) ]]

15 Psychological Limitation: Aversion to Nightmares (Uncommon, Total) [Notes: Edmond has a preternatural aversion to nightmares in others - even criminals. Unless balanced against the weight of lives, or something similarly potent, Edmond will attempt to alleviate the psychic suffering caused by bad dreams when he happens upon them.]

5 Distinctive Features: Dangerous Beauty (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses) [Notes: Possessed of incredible physique and fine features, Edmond Somsen tends to stick in peoples minds unless he takes pains to try and disguise himself.]

25 Dependent NPC: Melissa and Tom 11- (Normal; Group DNPC: x4 DNPCs) [Notes: Melissa lives with her son Tom in an apartment down the hall from Edmond. Working two jobs as a waitress, Melissa has come to rely on Edmond for emergency baby-sitting, though Tom insists at his old age of eleven, such monitoring is unnecessary. Edmond and Melissa have grown close over the last several months, and while Edmond holds romantic aspirations for Melissa, she seems either unaware or uninterested. Edmond knows Melissa still dreams of her ex-husband Daniel - a successful banker who she left due to his abusive behavior, and who is now trying to insinuate himself back in to her life.]

5 Rivalry: Romantic (Daniel; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry) [Notes: Daniel Morrisy is the ex-husband of Edmond's next door neighbor, Melissa and father of their son, Tom. Daniel has met Edmond on two occassions, once at Melissa's apartment while Edmond was baby-sitting and once at Edmond's place of work (the Thebe's Central Library), to warn Edmond to "Stay away from his wife."]

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Welcome aboard, for the vetting process anyway. You will need to get a picture of your character to get accepted into the game, but you have time for that.

What I have seen right off:

Only 50 points of Disads in a catagory, you have 70 in psychological. A 20 point CvK is very acceptable in this game. It is a disad.

Take off the limited Geographic area on the Crime Syndicate. We are playing in a campaign city, so it does not apply.

Skills, you have cramming down twice fo 5 points each. Drop one.

+2 HTH Combat Skill level - ok

+3 Mental Combat -to high with current EGO, 0 levels here.

+1 Overall - ok (as long as you keep the 4 speed).

Campaign Minimum is 30 points of skills, you have stealth, climbing and conversation. Please add more skills, skill levels don't count against the requirement (most of the time).

Did I read you defenses right? 10/10? Even with an 18 CON, campaign attacks average 38.8 stun. You will be CON Stunned with one shot. You can have around 20/20 defenses as a mentalist with a 5 speed. If you want to be a 4 speed you defense could go a bit higher.

You also do not have any form of advanced movement. That is not terrible, but you are going to be at a disadvantage.

Now, there is another Mentalist already in the running (Engram) and I am only going to allow one Mental type in the group. Two mentalists just makes standard encounters too easy and if I make the villians more resistant to mental attacks the mentalist loose their individual thunder.

I recommend you look over the changes and resubit this toon. I like the sleeper idea and it has a lot of RP opportunities (which I like). I would also recommded making an additional character and submitting. If your mentalist can't knock Engram off the hilltop, then you wont have a shot at playing. Making another character would give you a chance at one of the other standard slots.