Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Oh, yea. And revised character.

[ATTACH]30918[/ATTACH]

Reduced Inversion's maximum END intake from any given source to 6 Character Points per damage type per segment. (12 End Per Damage Type Per Segment, 24 End per Segment).

Added a level of HTH combat familiarity. Bought REC back up and sold off some PD and STR to make it match the 30/30. 12 DC.

Increased the Regenerative Healing aspect to 2 body / turn.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Mathematics and arithmetics are kind of a "thing" for me, and upon analysis, you are indeed correct. Absorption linked to END appears that it can quickly become unbalanced. And 30 may actually still be too high for defenses. I've never actually looked at defense from a statistical standpoint. Kind of interesting.

So, his hypothetical maximum of Endurance recovery is 194/turn.

(22 Character Points * 2 End Per Character Points * 4 Phases To Deplete Endurance + 18)

Pushing Strength, Force Field and Density Increase in every phase he would have a total Endurance expenditure of 152/turn, so given that he takes his full absorption in the segments between his acting phases, he could well do it indefinitely. Which defeats the nature of pushing.

Per defense.

At Def 30, a 10DC attack that hits (and which actually rolls, doesn't use the standard effect - because the standard effect is actually below the statistical mean), has a ~79% chance of doing any damage. That's ANY damage. 1-30 (one damage exactly being slightly greater than a 1/20 chance and 30 being highly improbable (1:6^10)). Chance of an opponent doing 10 or more Stun is only ~15%. Is that okay? Scale that up to a 14DC straight energy blast, chance to do more than 10 stun improve dramatically (~74% better). The chance to do more than Inversion can recover with a single Recovery, however, is only slightly greater than 1:2.

At Def 35, the picture skew becomes even more pronounced - a 10DC attack against that defense, is reduced to having a ~45% chance of doing any damage. They would have roughly a 1/40 chance of doing 10 damage or more. Scale to a 14DC attack and it's ~70% to deal any damage at all.

The model becomes even more fun when you add in stun multipliers from killing attacks. I made a little C# program that gives a suite of statistical data for given inputs, hehe.

I'm just that lame.

I think I might retire Absorption from the build. I have to get back to real work soon, though. Does the 30 def model still jive with how you want things to work? When I think Tank I don't actually want to play superman (superman was never very interesting to me. Guy was invincible, yea, we get it already...).

Check back later.

The standard attack in the game is 11d6 (with an avg stun of 35). 30 defense for a 4 speed tank = avg 5 stun. Avg defesne for a 5 speed, averge joe hero is 25 = avg 10 stun. So around a 30 defense is fine. The 13d6 attack holds true too.

Look it over and get back to me :)

Kind of.

In superheroic, it doesn't require an Ego roll, but if we examine the general rules for pushing.

(Fifth Edition Revised, p427, second paragraph of the right hand column)

It's somewhat fuzzy. "Should nots" and concrete examples that can apply to most combat situations (heroes generally aren't fighting when it's not an emergency).

But in general, you are correct - it is a GMs prerogative to deny someone the ability to Push, carte blanche, based on the situation.

Consequently, it's prominence in the algorithms that we use to study a character's effectiveness depend on how strictly the GM chooses to treat Pushing. If Pushing can be done "all day long" then one would still want to balance for it. If Pushing is just that rare, extra umph that helps you defeat a particularly vile arch villain, than accounting for it is unnecessary - even counter productive.

As a general rule, heroes can push a lot. We can drag the what if whack a mole out and beat this horse senseless all day long. Considering you are playing superheroes doing superheroic things... pushing can be an accepted standard. Would I allow it just to deck and agent, no. What about to buff a force wall to protect some civilains, sure. Now would I allow it for the other hero, jumping over the force wall, to deck the agent with the minigun... errr :P

I saw a build for a "batman'ish" type (at a con in Dallas, TX) had a stat based multipower, fueld by an endurance reserve and called it pushing. So, he could "push himself", in DEX, to grab the rope and save the girl or PD to take the hit. Worked out well but then actually pushing comes into play too. Felt like a really Heroic build (100+100 street level game) and I was glad I did not have to GM it.

Hehe. Caveat: I'm not a GM at all. Just another potential player.

But I like the character concept, very batman-y. Except part speedster. I guess Batman actually might be a speedster, now that I think of it? He's always acting just before the villains.

But would Raider's maximum attack be a 10d6? And his armor is 14 when it says Martial Artists should be 22.

Approximately 1:3 10DC attacks that land will stun Raider - granted he has more opportunity's to recover, but two such attacks would knock him out. The Batman can do better than that! hehe.

I know Raider has a high DCV, at least relative to the other characters. But it seems like maybe he could use a touch more defense? An OCV 7 bad guy still has a 37.5% chance of hitting Raider. So assuming Raider faces a single CV 7, Def 22/22, 18 Con, Speed 4, 10DC bad guy with 45 stun - (Raider has roughly a 1:10 chance of missing said foe without external modifiers) Mr Bad Guy has a slightly higher chance (4.0457% higher according to my little calculator program I made for this) of achieving an average necessary to knock Raider out in a single turn, than Raider has of knocking said bad guy out. Now, while I'm calculating the difference in overall speed, the more qualitative value of acting first is not in the algorithms being used here.

But now, imagine if Raider get hits by a 14DC normal attack - the probability of Stunning him goes up to almost 3:5. The probability of outright KO'ing him enters the picture at roughly 1:20.

I wonder if I'm analyzing this too much. I blame Zac, he got me started.

I have not had a chance to look at Raider/Sentry yet. But on the last build you had 14/14 and combat luck 6/6. So, your total was 20/20. 20-22 is the range for a 6 SPD. Now, your upper end melee attack does need to be 11DC and 9DC standard. I was going to recommend keeping the thrown attack at a total of 10 DC.

Now, it all plays out with higher speed, higher CV, marial arts, etc. If you wade into a bricks melee game you will probably get clobbered. Batman did not do that often, when he did... he got owned (Clayface is a prime example). He would then come back, think and revist the fight. He would dodge alot, reserve the bigger attacks when it would matter most AND win in the end. Also, Bat's is a very, very experienced hero. I always disuade players from trying to equate themselves to a pulp icon hero. It never works out.

Bats is not a speedester (Flash = speedester). However, Bats has a high DEX and probably Lightening Reflexes (well one way to build him anyway).

[ATTACH]30918[/ATTACH]

Reduced Inversion's maximum END intake from any given source to 6 Character Points per damage type per segment. (12 End Per Damage Type Per Segment, 24 End per Segment).

Added a level of HTH combat familiarity. Bought REC back up and sold off some PD and STR to make it match the 30/30. 12 DC.

I will get back to you later today.

Oooh, rainBOWS. I like those. Those are cool.

I see, so with 20 defense the probability of being stunned by a 11DC attack diminishes to ~19%.

And thats true now that I think about it with regards to 'the bat'. He could mix it up pretty well, but he always preferred to fight smart.

Also, on the note about playing characters from comic books - I've decided that I'm just going to play Galactus. That's cool, right?

He uses nested multiforms to approach infinite Character Points. Other than that, he's pretty balanced.

A 19% chance to go down to the first shot sounds pretty high to me...

~Gabriel

Thats 19% if you take a hit, you have to take DCV into account too. If they miss, then you have a 0% chance of going down :P Raider also one overall level (so he can apply them against his DCV some of the time) and Martial Arts (Block = +2 DCV, Martial Dodge +5 DCV). His standard 10DC attack gives +1 DCV and his 8D6 punch gives +2 DCV. Now if he does some sort of Sacrific Strike against a tough opponent, he gets what he opens himself up for.

Raider A.K.A. Sentry (maybe?) version 3

OK. Everything looks really good.

You can add +1 DC to your character (+5 Strength or +1 HTH Damage Class with Martial arts). Your martial arts should allow a 11d6 attack and a 9d6 attack. Also, you can take your defense to 22. However, I want the batarang to stay at 10d6 attack. If you up your Strength by 5, PD by 1 and ED by 2 you will get that extra boost and it only costs 8 points. The damage class would cost you 4 and then 2 for PD and 2 for ED. So its a wash how you spend it (but the strength gives you better figured stats). You have 5 points of xp to spend, so just cut 3 points somewhere.

Fix that small issue and you can color this character complete. Also, fill in the background section on the character in Hero Designer.

[ATTACH]30918[/ATTACH]

You can still push quite a bit, but it is not so far of base. The powers, skills, disads look fine.

Taking at look at your stats, you CON seems to be a tad lower than expected. Talwar has a 5 spd, 55 str brick type has a 25/25 Def and a 24 Con. Inversion will get CON stunned before Talwar does (but only by a point). Kuan Ti has 22/22 Defenses and a 28 Con, so you and Talwar will be stunned before him (again, by a point or two). With a 4 Spd and your defenses, you might want to look at 23+ CON.

If you say your character is complete, I will accept him as is. Your call.

Current state of character selection: Cut off date March 13, 2009 (T-10 days)

1. Inertia (5 Spd Energy Projector) - Accepted

2. Engram (5 Spd Mentalist) - Accepted

3. Kuan-Ti (6 Spd Martial Artist) - Character complete

4. Raider/Sentry (6 Spd Martial Artist) - Final Revision, need background in HDC

5. Inversion (4 Spd Brick) - Final Revision, need background & picture in HDC

6. Talwar (5 Spd Brick/Magnetic EP) - Final Revision, need picture in HDC

7. Chalice (Water Based Energy Projector) - awaiting resubmission

1. The Ward - dropped

2. Tasha - dropped

I will be accepting another character by Friday, with the final three chosen next Friday. I really like all the submissions that are complete or are in final revisions. I think Kuan-Ti and Raider are significantly different that they would not step on each others toes. Inversion is in his own "field" considering his strenght and power effects. While Talwar is just a generic 5 speed brick type. We have a lot of hand to hand potential (which is not a bad thing) with 1/2 of the current group not even from the US.

You can still push quite a bit, but it is not so far of base. The powers, skills, disads look fine.

Taking at look at your stats, you CON seems to be a tad lower than expected. Talwar has a 5 spd, 55 str brick type has a 25/25 Def and a 24 Con. Inversion will get CON stunned before Talwar does (but only by a point). Kuan Ti has 22/22 Defenses and a 28 Con, so you and Talwar will be stunned before him (again, by a point or two). With a 4 Spd and your defenses, you might want to look at 23+ CON.

If you say your character is complete, I will accept him as is. Your call.

Hey again! So I reworked him. I put his background and picture into the HDC file.

Revision changes are pretty big though.

Here is:

*Bought up Con by 12 points to 30. My program is saying an OCV 6 Attacker has a ~0.00017% (truncated and rounded) of being stunned by a straight DC11 attack. Closest approach to a 50/50 Stun break point is 17d6.

*Because of CON increase, sold off armor, bought up Damage Resistance so as not to exceed previous campaign levels of armor.

*Sold off Accurate on Leaping, LS: Immunity to Chemical Warfare, et cetera, to make the character more cohesive.

*Sold PRE back down to 18.

*The CON increase brought End and REC to 88 and 20 respectively. Sold off 2 Rec to bring it down to previous level of 18, brought END down to 72 (Rec*4)

*Bought Organizational Contact of 8- to represent his working closely with the justice system. He might get leads about crimes from people while in the course of his job (interpreting for a witness in a deposition or something).

*Increased Interpreter skill by 1 point to 16-.

Raider A.K.A. Sentry (maybe?) version 3

Just an opinion as a fellow player, but I like the Sentry name better. Also makes things more interesting when the media finds out about you...

("Excuse me, Mayor. Is Sentry working for the city? Is there some sort of cover up going on?")

Short vignette about his escape from prison.

Not so long ago...

The Gulag, 0700 hours

It was raining, and rivulets of water coursed down the concrete walls and into the courtyard. A guard sighted down the dripping barrel of his firearm at the starved, weakened prisoner who had just dodged all but the last round in his clip. Blood streamed from the shoulder where that bullet had punched into flesh.

The two stared at each other for a long moment, the guard in his grey fatigues and the prisoner nearly naked. Heat from the prisoner's exertions turned some of the water that pooled in his collarbone and ran down his body into steam. He had been fighting his way clear of the underground cell block for nearly ten minutes straight. Finally, the prisoner raised his voice in perfect Cantonese, the local dialect.

Numbly, the guard dropped his aim to the floor and took a step back. There was nothing menacing in the manner of the prisoner, who now moved to the center of the athletics yard and stared south towards the center of the complex, but the guard had watched him beat a dozen sentries and fellow prisoners senseless in his single-minded drive for open air. Continuing to back away, the guard heard the crash of a sonic boom and knew that the Warden was coming. With a last glance at the gaunt form of the prisoner, he turned and ran back into a tunnel leading down into the primary cell block. But he stopped there, his heart beating against his ribs, and leaned against the inside of the door jamb, straining to listen over the rush of his own blood and the patter of the raindrops outside. The deep, arrogant voice of the Warden was easy to pick out.

What followed was the horrible sound of a fist striking bone, followed by a series of blasts and the screech of tearing metal. Finally the prisoner's inarticulate scream of defiance and a crash, and then silence. With terrible misgivings, the guard waited a long moment and then crouched down and looked around the door jamb. There, in the center of the athletics yard, the emaciated prisoner stood over the body of the Warden, whose hands still smoked from the release of raw energy. Long black furrows had been burnt into the cement yard and the wall beyond, and the prisoner's skin was seared all along one flank.

Again the prisoner and the guard stared at each other.

It was a simple statment of fact, but it shocked the guard mute, as though hearing those words from the lips of a hardened criminal who'd been locked underground for fifteen years had robbed him of speech. No doubt aware of how it sounded, the prisoner threw the guard a proud smirk and drew himself up to his full height despite his obvious fatigue. Although he seemed little more than bruised skin stretched tight over bone and leaking blood in places, there was an inhuman vitality in his eyes and limbs that defied his condition, put him somehow beyond such things as burns and bullet wounds.

With that last pronouncement, the prisoner ran ten feet and made an impossible leap over the electrified fence, coming down far beyond before throwing himself into the low clouds, receding quickly towards the horizon. And the guard could do nothing but stare after him, silently thanking the gods over and over for sparing his life. Already he could hear the jets passing overhead, the helicopters approaching in the distance. Soon, the hunt would begin.

Fin

I'm deliberately vague about how much actual opposition he met while breaking out, since that's Zac's business. The story assumes that most of the fighting took place underground, culminating in his breaking out above ground and then facing the Warden.

~Gabriel

Short vignette about his escape from prison.

Not so long ago...

I'm deliberately vague about how much actual opposition he met while breaking out, since that's Zac's business. The story assumes that most of the fighting took place underground, culminating in his breaking out above ground and then facing the Warden.

~Gabriel

This all looked fine. Very nice. Considering it is a vignette, numbers are not really necessary.

OK in your disads you have Secret ID: Public ID (Frequently' date=' Major),[/i'] so I assume it is suppor to be Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major). Correct assumption?

You are shy 5 points of disads. Suggestion. Take a 10 point hunted (as powerful, 8-) and drop either the unluck or poor (I would drop unluck).

Change you Metal Transformation to:

Metal Shaper: Major Transform 2d6, Improved Target Group (any metal; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Power (Metal Composition Remains Unchanged; -1), All Or Nothing (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

This gives you back a point (3u to 2u), you can make any change in the metal but you cant change it from metal to something else or an lead miniture to a gold miniture. If you just want to say ".22 pistol to broken .22 pistol" that should be easy. If you want to change a 2 lbs lead ingot into a little statue... that is something else, though still do-able in the range of the power. If I recall correctly, that is what you were shooting for originally, was it not?

If you pick up 5 points in disads you will have 6 points left.

Hey Zac, all of that sounds great. I have a technical problem though; I just got a new computer and I can't get Hero Designer to work on it, and I really shouldn't spend any more time troubleshooting the darn thing 'til the weekend. Do you just want to enter the changes in your copy of the file? If that's cool, we can hold off on the few unspent points for now, or maybe put it into his Dex? I'll have a write-up on the DNPC for you tomorrow.

Hey Zac' date=' all of that sounds great. I have a technical problem though; I just got a new computer and I can't get Hero Designer to work on it, and I really shouldn't spend any more time troubleshooting the darn thing 'til the weekend. Do you just want to enter the changes in your copy of the file? If that's cool, we can hold off on the few unspent points for now, or maybe put it into his Dex? I'll have a write-up on the DNPC for you tomorrow.[/quote']

OK. I will make the changes and repost as a spoiler. I will be picking the next applicant sometime in the next 24 hours. Since you are in the complete file, you are in the running.

Thanks for all the feedback on Raider/Sentry (I think I like Sentry better too). To answer some of the concerns:

As has been pointed out he actually has 20 DEF with his Combat Luck. One of the things I consider when GM'ing is the Combat vs. Non-Combat Usefulness. I never want a character to be top dog in both. If he has a ton of non-combat skills, I don't want them to be a combat monster too, and vice versa. Since my character has so many non-combat skills, I left his combat a bit lacking.

Zac for the extra damage class, what if I added a baton to the Utility Belt (1d6 HA)? I don't want to go with STR as I think that makes him too far above a trained normal.

(Posted from my G1 phone)

The cheapest solution to give Sentry +1d6 is using a MP slot for a Baton (+1d6 HA, 0 END, OAF) for 1 pt, or you could buy it outside the MP for 3 pts. Another option is just pay 4 pts for +1 DC with Martial Arts. It really depends on the flavor of the character.

The other option is to leave it as is, and just make the character efficient enough in END use to push when necessary.

Thanks for all the feedback on Raider/Sentry (I think I like Sentry better too). To answer some of the concerns:

As has been pointed out he actually has 20 DEF with his Combat Luck. One of the things I consider when GM'ing is the Combat vs. Non-Combat Usefulness. I never want a character to be top dog in both. If he has a ton of non-combat skills, I don't want them to be a combat monster too, and vice versa. Since my character has so many non-combat skills, I left his combat a bit lacking.

Zac for the extra damage class, what if I added a baton to the Utility Belt (1d6 HA)? I don't want to go with STR as I think that makes him too far above a trained normal.

(Posted from my G1 phone)

The cheapest solution to give Sentry +1d6 is using a MP slot for a Baton (+1d6 HA, 0 END, OAF) for 1 pt, or you could buy it outside the MP for 3 pts. Another option is just pay 4 pts for +1 DC with Martial Arts. It really depends on the flavor of the character.

The other option is to leave it as is, and just make the character efficient enough in END use to push when necessary.

I think the best route to go would be just +1 DC in martial arts. It I was going to go for extra damage classes as an item +1 HA, OIF (Lead Padded Gloves or Hard Points) and add it to your suit.

Made some fan fiction type stuff too. Also made a villain character to go along with it. Naturally you don't have to use said villain. Just made it to figure out her powers for the brief encounter.

Villainous Villainess Vermin

“Are you sure this is wise, Lai?” Leader's voice was hard as iron even though his body had become as frail as paper. From a wheelchair at the end of the long table, inky black irises seemed to glower out at his lieutenants, daring one to interrupt.“The Assailant is our best enforcer. She is the only bargaining chip we have against the Primes to leave our operations alone. If we lose her, we might as well sell out and join the Truth-In-Light Triad.”

All down the long table, a murmur rippled through the twenty nine criminals attending the meeting. Many nodded in agreement, a few of those in Lai Jong's hold hesitated, glancing through the smoke filled room to gage his reactions.

“Honored Leader, we all understand the Assailant's importance to us,” A middle-aged man, muscular despite his small frame, drawled a response after a just-barely respectable silence. “But Inversion poses a great threat to our survival as well. Over the last six months he has shut down two of our opium dens, and seized more than half our heroin. When faced with these two options for extinction, I would choose the bold option, rather than simply wait for Inversion to find us and put us all in jail.”

Very good, Lai, the old man mused wryly to himself, you are finally learning to use more than your muscles and knives. You will do well when I retire, if you survive that long. Leader smiled beatifically, “Lai, these heroes come and go – look at how poorly this Inversion is treated by the news. I understand that your son was incarcerated because Inversion stopped him while drunk driving. Well, as I heard it, your son actually hit Inversion while the masked freak was chasing some purse snatcher. It was just bad luck that he had a trunk full of heroin and guns at the time.”

Lai managed to remain remarkably composed, but after the Leader had finished, Lai snapped back. “Are you saying that I am taking this personally?”

A silence gripped the room, all eyes on the Leader, his terrifying gaze locked firmly upon Lai. “I am saying, Lai, that you would do well to be cautious. In all things.”

At this, the middle aged man inclined his head in respect. “Of course, Most Honored Leader. A thousand apologies for my rudeness. Of course the decision is yours to make, and you will guide us well.”

The Leader smiled briefly. “All is forgiven.”

“So, will you not summon the Assailant to kill Inversion?” One of Lai's cronies asked after a long pause.

“No, I think that we shall. Perhaps Lai is correct, and Inversion is a more permanent problem. But we must advise Bai Li to use caution.”

Down, everyone down on the ground,” Sprays of automatic fire sent bits of the ceiling drift down, as screams erupted through the bank lobby. Four men in black ski masks and jump suits fanned out across the bank, pushing people down as they moved.

“You, where's the manager?” One of the men, the biggest of them, brandished his automatic rifle at a young teller, her face wracked with fear. “Where's the manager?”

“I'm right here,” a light, calm female voice pronounced from behind a desk nearby. “Don't hurt anyone. I'll do whatever you ask.”

“Get out from behind the desk,” the largest robber growled, markedly less agitation in his voice as he circled the tellers counter, angling towards the managers desk. Two of the other three men were lining were watching their hostages, while the third drew the banks window blinds closed.

“Alright,” a thin, well manicured woman stood up slowly, her middle-aged features composed. “Shall I show you in to the bank vault?”

“Glad you're being reasonable about this,” the big man motioned in the direction of the counter.

Just as the pair reached the large steel door, one of the other three men yelled in a lilting, nasally voice. “COPS!”

With a rough shove, the largest man sent the bank manager tumbling to the ground. “What'd you do? Push a silent alarm? You stupid -”

“No, no I swear, I didn't push anythi-” the manager started to protest, the veneer of calm shattering in the face of violence.

“Shut up, just shut up!” menacing her with his rifle, the big robber shouted to the rest of his crew. “Come on, we can still make a break for it.”

“No way, too many of 'em. How'd they all get here so fast?” Peeking out from behind the blinds, the nasally toned bank robber fidgeted nervously with his gun. “We're screwed. We're so screwed.”

“Damn. How did they get here so fast?” The larger man crossed the lobby to part the blinds, counting about a dozen police cruisers lined up in the parking lot. They already had the getaway driver out of their SUV.

Just as the robber was about to step away from the window, a curious thing happened. All the police officers seemed to look off away from the building, some cringed, a few even ducked behind their cruisers.

Seconds later an explosion rocked the bank, people were screaming, dust and debris filled the air as the startled gunmen looked to see a young man in a business suit and a domino mask had plowed a hole jogging casually out of the cloud, dusting off his jacket and pants self consciously.

“Hey guys. You here to make a withdrawal or a deposit?”

For a few seconds machine gun fire flared, deafening in it's cacophonous roar, as Inversion advanced – bright red electricity rippling out where his flesh contacted the bullets, until eventually the metallic clicking of the guns hammer on an empty chamber made the debris littered bank lobby seem like a clock store.

“Please,” Inversion chuckled, putting a finger through one of the many bullet holes torn in his suit. “Last week, one guy fired a bazooka at me. An honest to goodness bazooka, and I'm not talking about gum here. AK-47s and say, what is that? I'm no gun nut, but that looks different than what most people shoot at me.”

Dropping the assault rifle, the big robber grabbed a still screaming woman off the floor and pulled out a small sidearm from a waistband, silencing her with a few brutal jabs of the gun, he shouted “Stay back freak, or I'll cap her, right here.”

Sobering quickly, Inversion placed his hands up and stopped moving forward. “Look, friend, I'm just here to tell you this can't end well. I caught it over the police CB, some anonymous informant tipped the police off to a bank heist, like ten minutes ago.”

Frantically, the masked gunman looked about for an escape to this situation. “Just stay back.”

“Okay, I'm staying back, no need to-” Erik Krieg's best attempt at soothing was ended abruptly by the clear report of a gun, filled by the sound of liquid splattering against the banks floors.

As the robber slumped over dead, three more gunshots rang out, the other gunmen dropping as well. The woman, no longer screaming but just wide-eyed with shock, glanced briefly at the corpse of her assailant, then the halo of blood and brains and bone, and promptly passed out. From the direction of the bank vault, a computerized voice called, “That will do nicely, now everyone else out.”

In a stampede people stood up and rushed headlong for the exits, obscuring Inversion's view of the mysterious savior. After the herd had passed, he stepped cautiously toward the bank vault. “Hello? You didn't need to kill them.”

“Hello Inversion,” the voice came from seemingly nowhere. “You seem like an otherwise honorable person, but you have crossed my employers one too many times, which is why I regret to inform you that you must die.”

A burst of gunfire sprayed out from a point on the wall - but this was different from the panicked firing of the robbers – this was focused, controlled, the bursts all landing near a single point.

“Your defenses are impressive, Inversion,” the voice seemed to come from right behind Erik, causing him to spin on his heels, only to see nothing but shattered glass and the glare of police lights reflecting through tattered blinds. “By the way, the guns they were using – QBZ95s.”

“Uh, never heard of them. So what, you're an invisible assassin? That's real original...”

“Not really invisible,” the voice responded. Erik swatted irritably as a fly buzzed by his ear.

As if a parting thought the computerized female voice echoed from the direction of the wall Erik had caved in during his entrance. “Well, I'm sure I'll be seeing you around. Perhaps I'll try some C4 next.”

[ATTACH]30939[/ATTACH]

The tabs in my story appear to have disappeared though.