Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

1. His Scientific Curiosity extends to more than just high technology or gadgets. If he saw an unusual bug, for example he would try to examine it. Pretty much he will explore a scientific explanation for anything that is out of the ordinary. Upping the Disad to strong means that he has an irrational attraction to such things. I don't think that really fits his personality. If curiosities are not very common in the game then I think Common/ Moderate or Uncommon/ Moderate fits the character better.

2. I have a witeup for my lab. The invention mentioned in his Disads does exist in the lab and can be taken, used, ect.

Scientific Curosity - Common would make sense if it was not tech specific.

Lab - I have glanced at the character, but have not dug deep. So, if you have a lab, then it makes it easy.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's sort of tough. I REALLY like the Guardian concept and have the personality down pat (and created his Nerd Squad). On the other hand I've been spending a lot of time with Animax (I REALLY have to come up with a better name), and was really itching to play a Martial Artist.

Now if Zac says I have a chance to play in both... :D

If I really had to choose between them and only play one, I think I'd rather play Guardian, but it would be a really close call.

Zac, thanks for all the attention. I think the character is shaping up nicely due to all the input you guys have given me. Quick question, how would you feel about Uncontrolled on the Missile Deflection (as described under Missile Deflection)? Though I didn't originally plan to have more than one form, your comment about other forms made me think a short duration more "armored up" looking form would be cool and I think Uncontrolled MD would be a cool way to represent it.

I think there is still misunderstanding in regards to my intentions with his "Four Arms" build. I am not looking to do anything in combat with four arms that cannot be performed with the Sweep Maneuver, which is available to everyone (unless you are not using it in your campaign of course). The power and skills listed under Four-Armed Fighting are just modifiers of the Sweep Maneuver. "Four arms" is just the special effect for the powers and skills I bought that are related to the maneuver.

For example:

Two-Weapon Fighting gives access to the maneuver in campaigns that do not use the sweep option and negates the penalty for one Sweep attack. Extra Limbs allows me to Grab more than one opponent. ("A character may only Sweep Grab as many targets as he has hands/limbs to hold them." Rules for Sweeping Grab are in the sidebar on page 387.) Rapid Attack allows Sweeps to be done as a half phase action. Weapon Familiarity Off Hand gives a small DCV bonus when using both hands in combat, ect.

Its all legal and I have never used it in a prior Super level game. Kinda looked at two weapon fighting and off hand type abilities as more heroic level. I will let Fed be the "end all and be all" for this one.

That's sort of tough. I REALLY like the Guardian concept and have the personality down pat (and created his Nerd Squad). On the other hand I've been spending a lot of time with Animax (I REALLY have to come up with a better name), and was really itching to play a Martial Artist.

Now if Zac says I have a chance to play in both... :D

If I really had to choose between them and only play one, I think I'd rather play Guardian, but it would be a really close call.

Guardian fits Thebes really well. He would have to be worked over a bit, but not a whole lot. Animax looks good too and looks to fit Silverstone well. Promethus is Fed's villian group and I think Animax would be better hunted by him/them :P

Now, I will give 1st dips to non-Silverstone players. So, don't assume if you get in one you will get in the other. BUT, anything is possible.

Zac' date=' thanks for all the attention. I think the character is shaping up nicely due to all the input you guys have given me. Quick question, how would you feel about Uncontrolled on the Missile Deflection (as described under Missile Deflection)? Though I didn't originally plan to have more than one form, your comment about other forms made me think a short duration more "armored up" looking form would be cool and I think Uncontrolled MD would be a cool way to represent it.[/quote']

OK, I like Missle Deflection as the hero knowing the attack is coming and can take what they have to dish out. It is very comic based and feels right. It could be the character dodges it, knocks it out of the air with a stick, bears his sheild, whatever. Fed likes increased pd/ed as you can then take it from melee or ranged (where Missle D is just ranged). The REAL strength of missle deflection is knock incoming junk out of the air, over there! It is your call.

I don't like the uncontrolled on it. Uncontrolled, always on defenses = armor.

The disad is for Acid. The acid rain was just an extrapolation. ;)

Ah! I did not check the sheet, I just took what I was on the message board as gospel. I think an acid disad is fine. Seeking cover because of a bad shower in a 3rd world country would be kinda funny.

Guardian fits Thebes really well. He would have to be worked over a bit' date=' but not a whole lot.[/quote']

Well if you have the time, maybe you could work with me on Guardian. The changes might help me decide which character I'd rather play.

This is the current character after Fed's last input:

Guardian

Player: Checkmate

Val Char Cost

15/40 STR 5

17/23 DEX 21

18/23 CON 16

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

16 COM 3

8/20 PD 5

8/20 ED 4

4/5 SPD 13

7 REC 0

36 END 0

30/40 STUN 3

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3"/8" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 80

Cost Power

Endo-Skeleton, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

21 1) Servoes: +25 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

10 2) Synaptic Relays: +6 DEX (18 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

6 3) Pain Dampers: +5 CON (10 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

29 4) Hardened Shell: Armor (12 PD/12 ED) (36 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

8 5) Wired Reflexes: +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

14 6) Power Batteries: Endurance Reserve (80 END, 10 REC) (18 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

8 7) Impact Dispersal: +10 STUN (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

16 Boot Jets: Flight 10" (20 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

12 Sealed Systems: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing) (15 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

44 Weapons Systems: Multipower, 55-point reserve, (55 Active Points); all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

1u 1) Strength Booster: +20 STR (20 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4u 2) Power Blast: Energy Blast 11d6 (55 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4u 3) Multi-Blast: Energy Blast 8 1/2d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) (54 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

3u 4) Bubble Projector: Entangle 5d6, 6 DEF (55 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2u 5) Point Defense System: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Adjacent Hex (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

Heads-Up Display, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

16 1) Sensor Suite: Radar (Radio Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees) (20 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4 2) Night Vision Filters: Nightvision (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4 3) Flare Compensators: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

10 4) Communications Suite: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2 5) Range Finder: Absolute Range Sense (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2 6) Chronometer: Absolute Time Sense (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2 7) Math Co-Processor: Lightning Calculator (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 222

Cost Skill

3 Combat Driving 12- (14-) [Notes: Motorcycle]

2 CK: Campaign City 11-

3 CuK: College Life 12-

2 Electronics 12- (3 Active Points); Cars Only (-1/2)

3 Mechanics 12-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 Seduction 12-

3 Stealth 12- (14-)

3 Streetwise 12-

1 Systems Operation 8-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Automobiles (3 Active Points) 12-

1 2) KS: Known Supers (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) KS: Sports (3 Active Points) 12-

Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) AK: Native Country 8-

0 3) Climbing 8-

0 4) Concealment 8-

0 5) Conversation 8-

0 6) Deduction 8-

0 7) Language: English (Idiomatic, native accent) (4 Active Points)

0 8) Paramedics 8-

0 9) Persuasion 8-

0 10) PS: Player's Choice 8-

0 11) Shadowing 8-

0 12) Stealth 8-

1 13) TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles, Snowboarding, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles

Skills Cost: 35

Cost Perk

3 Reputation: Respected Hero (A large group) 14-, +1/+1d6

10 Follower [Notes: 4 0/25 Point Followers]

Perks Cost: 13

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

15 Psychological Limitation: Trying to Live up to Famous Hero (Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Strong)

5 Reputation: Scientific Genius, 8- [Notes: This is a Disad because he's really not one.]

20 Hunted: Mystery 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Guardian's Former Teammates 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Mystery 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

5 Social Limitation: Dark Secret: Stole the Guardian Armor (Occasionally, Minor)

10 Dependent NPC: Nerd Squad 8- (Normal)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

The big change I made was I took off OIF, and made it OIHID, then obviously reduced some things to compensate.

Pts. Disadvantage

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

15 Psychological Limitation: Trying to Live up to Famous Hero (Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Common, Strong)

5 Reputation: Scientific Genius, 8- [Notes: This is a Disad because he's really not one.]

20 Hunted: Mystery 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

10 Hunted: Guardian's Former Teammates 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Mystery 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

5 Social Limitation: Dark Secret: Stole the Guardian Armor (Occasionally, Minor)

10 Dependent NPC: Nerd Squad 8- (Normal)

Disadvantage Points: 150

The big change I made was I took off OIF, and made it OIHID, then obviously reduced some things to compensate.

Ok going to tackle this from the bottom of the sheet up.

Do you want to get your suit from:

1. A hero who "dies" at your feet

2. A gift from ?

3. You found it in (location unknown).

I ask because this is critical (really). You suit will come from National Defense, a protege of National Guard. National Guard is dead (he died defending Center City), the entire Ministry of Justice is dead for that matter. National Defense was a protege for about two years and left to do his own thing (he became a solo hero). Now, a new group has appeared in Center City, The Guardsmen. They are an "agent" level organization who claims to be benefactors of National Guards tech (they are led by the mysterious High Guard).

If you want your suit to come from National Defense, that is cool. When you appear in Thebes, the Guardsmen will KNOW that the Guardian (which is a nice clicking name for them) is National Defense OR a protege of National Defense. Chances are they are gonna track you down. So, you will get a watched by the Guardsmen.

If you want your suit to be a gift, it comes FROM High Guard. He is vetting young people to join his ranks and he will see something in you. So, you will get an older suit (one like National Defense has). This will also get you a watched by the Guardsmen and you could take them as a contact.

You find the suit, then you stumble onto a suit cache from National Guard/National Defense. Once you go public either National Defense and/or the Guardsmen are gonna come looking.

Let me know how you want to get into the suit, and we will line up the 45 points of hunted/watched and the social limitation.

Reputation, Scientific Genius. If this is you in the Guardian suit, lose it. The characters will have NEVER done anything public before the game starts. If it is your secret id, then getting a rep is going to HAVE to have some merit. If you are "assuming" National Defense rep, well he did not have it. His rep was based on being VERY patrotic and being tough, tough, tough.

Trying to live up to the Famous hero is good. Be prepared to take a hit on it. National Guard and National Defense were pretty much suit based bricks. They could really take the punishment. National Guard was basically a sheilded suit who mixed it up in hand to hand (4 speed, tough as nails), National Defense was a bit faster and had some ranged capabilities but reinforcing the suit key (5 speed, standard defense BUT had some reinforcement in his suit for protecting others). You better want the lime light... because the press is gonna flock to you BIG TIME (which you may like). The press will assume you are a protege of National Defense and he has been out of pocket for some months. Do you know where he is?

So, if you take the suit from him and want to assume his identity... take the name National Defense. You don't want to take the name, but take the suit from him, be Guardian. Either way, people are gonna want to know.

Lets iron this out first, then we will go into stats and powers.

Hmm, I'm not sure any of that is going to work. The reason I really want to play him is he's a dumb jock that is trying to convince the world he's this scientifically gifted superhero. The guy he took the suit from died at his feet, and now he's trying to replace him. He doesn't want anyone to know because they'll take the suit from him, and he'd look bad, taking the suit from a dead guy. If you take away the scientific part, he has no reason for the Nerd Squad, and loses much of his appeal.

Would it be possible that he got the suit from some other Power Armored Hero?

Hmm, I'm not sure any of that is going to work. The reason I really want to play him is he's a dumb jock that is trying to convince the world he's this scientifically gifted superhero. The guy he took the suit from died at his feet, and now he's trying to replace him. He doesn't want anyone to know because they'll take the suit from him, and he'd look bad, taking the suit from a dead guy. If you take away the scientific part, he has no reason for the Nerd Squad, and loses much of his appeal.

Would it be possible that he got the suit from some other Power Armored Hero?

OK, lets say to take the suit from the Guardsman, you can replace him... but I need ALL your hunted disads, and probably a few others.

Here is what I mean...

1. If the bad guy (Lord Havoc) was able to kill a existing known super with a rep, what chance to do have as a green super. "Lord Havoc" is going to be a more powerful who wants to kill you. I mean, if he killed the last guy, why would he NOT want to kill you. If he figures out that you are NOT Guardsman, then it would probably be even worse. You did pay for Dark Secret, what if that more powerful found out. I mean, ouch.

2. The old Guardman did have a prior connections. He was all that, per your own words. So, when one of them comes looking they are probably going to figure you out. You may have the "mental" stats, but you dont have the history. Example "Rememeber that time you saved Rebecca Summers from Lord Havoc clutches?" You throw in a quick "Yeah, he is one tough nut." Then you find out her name was Claire Summers and it was Dr. D... bingo.

Identity Theft is hard enough to maintain in the world, but with a big rep and being all that... I mean wow.

I will make it easy: Make up the Old Guardsman as a 400 point super. Drop in say 65 points of contacts and skills (I am asking for 40 points for new characters). Submit him to me and we will see where we can take it. One of the hunteds is going to be "Lord Havoc" and as an as powerful, wants to kill. If you were a Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne of tech, what kinds of skills, perks, etc would you have. Chances are someone out there knew who his Secret ID was (very few heroes with Secret ID keep it completely secret, there are alwasys a few). Give him some DNPCS (butler, love interest, mom, whatever).

From that point, honestly take a look at filling his shoes. If you don't make the old guardmans up... then I would have to as a GM. Putting in appropriate limitations, etc. Based on your current build almost 1/2 of your disad points (70 actually) come from stealing this others guys ID. 1/2!!! I can say with certainity it will come up in one fashion or another every adventure. I know Fed will drop the disad hammer on you just as much as I will. They are disads after all.

Zac

OK' date=' lets say to take the suit from the Guardsman, you can replace him... but I need ALL your hunted disads, and probably a few others.[/quote']

Okay

Here is what I mean...

1. If the bad guy (Lord Havoc) was able to kill a existing known super with a rep, what chance to do have as a green super. "Lord Havoc" is going to be a more powerful who wants to kill you. I mean, if he killed the last guy, why would he NOT want to kill you. If he figures out that you are NOT Guardsman, then it would probably be even worse. You did pay for Dark Secret, what if that more powerful found out. I mean, ouch.

Lord Havoc killed the last guy when the last guy's team was trying to stop his latest plot. I used Lord Havoc in place of a Dr. Destroyer. He's not out to kill indivigual heroes, he'll just wipe out anyone that gets in his way. If my character doesn't get in his way, it's gravy.

2. The old Guardman did have a prior connections. He was all that, per your own words. So, when one of them comes looking they are probably going to figure you out. You may have the "mental" stats, but you dont have the history. Example "Rememeber that time you saved Rebecca Summers from Lord Havoc clutches?" You throw in a quick "Yeah, he is one tough nut." Then you find out her name was Claire Summers and it was Dr. D... bingo.

Identity Theft is hard enough to maintain in the world, but with a big rep and being all that... I mean wow.

First why would they have a reason do doubt? They'd have to actively be trying to trick him for that senario to play out, but even so there's an explination: After the battle with Lord Havoc, no one could find Guardsman. He returns and says that he was badly injured and has selective amnesia and his recent past is fuzzy. Due to his lmitations, he's leaving the team he was on, to strike out on his own and get back what he's lost.

As far as the Identity Theft, well I guess that depends on how realistic you want the world to be. I mean are we using comic book staples where a pair of glasses or a domino mask can keep the greatest minds from figuring out who they are or are things more realistic than that?

I will make it easy: Make up the Old Guardsman as a 400 point super. Drop in say 65 points of contacts and skills (I am asking for 40 points for new characters). Submit him to me and we will see where we can take it. One of the hunteds is going to be "Lord Havoc" and as an as powerful, wants to kill. If you were a Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne of tech, what kinds of skills, perks, etc would you have. Chances are someone out there knew who his Secret ID was (very few heroes with Secret ID keep it completely secret, there are alwasys a few). Give him some DNPCS (butler, love interest, mom, whatever).

From that point, honestly take a look at filling his shoes.

I think I've explained the Lord Havoc hunted. Yes there are some obvious holes in the concept, and of course it wouldn't work in the real world. I thought some of that would be neat plot hooks.

If you don't make the old guardmans up... then I would have to as a GM. Putting in appropriate limitations, etc. Based on your current build almost 1/2 of your disad points (70 actually) come from stealing this others guys ID. 1/2!!! I can say with certainity it will come up in one fashion or another every adventure. I know Fed will drop the disad hammer on you just as much as I will. They are disads after all.

Zac

The disads is the whole reason I want to play him. Its not the power armor that excites me, he's pretty generic in that department. It's the whole Nerd Squad helping him pull off the Identity Theft.

I'm not sure how you're getting 70 points. I've given him 1 10 point hunted, a 5 point Rep, and a 5 Point Dark Secret. The one psych is really just him wanting to be as heroic as the other guy, and the other hunteds could all be from his re-release. He did move away from his former team.

That said, you don't seem as keen on the concept. Maybe I should just go with Animax :D

With all of this talk about it, I'm beginning to grow curious about Thebes. In what ways will it differ from the other campaign?

And what sorts of heroes do you already have lined up for it? ;)

~Gabriel

Lord Havoc killed the last guy when the last guy's team was trying to stop his latest plot. I used Lord Havoc in place of a Dr. Destroyer. He's not out to kill indivigual heroes, he'll just wipe out anyone that gets in his way. If my character doesn't get in his way, it's gravy.

First why would they have a reason do doubt? They'd have to actively be trying to trick him for that senario to play out, but even so there's an explination: After the battle with Lord Havoc, no one could find Guardsman. He returns and says that he was badly injured and has selective amnesia and his recent past is fuzzy. Due to his lmitations, he's leaving the team he was on, to strike out on his own and get back what he's lost.

Right now the Catalyst universe is hero/villian light. The only real areas of activity are the players cities with existing groups (just in the US... not going to even think about anywhere else). So, Guardian is going to have to be a solo player. From prior posts all I knew was Guardian got owned by Lord Havoc, no background, nada. Just hey, your dead.

As far as getting tricked by others, it would not be like that. Just the regular people in his life (and anyone else who knows him) are going to come looking eventually. Trying to hide who you are from people who know you is almost impossible. Unless you know the history in detail, it just does not work. All someone has to do is get the old "Sense Motive" feeling and see what happens. Might not happen right away (Issue 1, but it would come up).

As far as the Identity Theft, well I guess that depends on how realistic you want the world to be. I mean are we using comic book staples where a pair of glasses or a domino mask can keep the greatest minds from figuring out who they are or are things more realistic than that?

I was using ID theft as an example, not really going toward criminal intent.

I think I've explained the Lord Havoc hunted. Yes there are some obvious holes in the concept, and of course it wouldn't work in the real world. I thought some of that would be neat plot hooks.

I don't mind the bad guy, all heroes need a nemesis (or a lot of them). A bigger picture is evidently needed.

The disads is the whole reason I want to play him. Its not the power armor that excites me, he's pretty generic in that department. It's the whole Nerd Squad helping him pull off the Identity Theft.

I'm not sure how you're getting 70 points. I've given him 1 10 point hunted, a 5 point Rep, and a 5 Point Dark Secret. The one psych is really just him wanting to be as heroic as the other guy, and the other hunteds could all be from his re-release. He did move away from his former team.

Three of the top of my head:

Trying to live up to prior hero

Mystery hunteds (they are hunting the original hero, but since you have his suit)

Dark Secret

The disads do define the hero, and they could be a lot of fun. Just rememeber that about 1/2 your disads seem to come from that. So, it will come up all the time.

That said, you don't seem as keen on the concept. Maybe I should just go with Animax :D

I don't have a problem with him at all, it is just trying to fit the character into the game world. Fed and I had this discussion a few weeks ago. Lots of weight behind who you are trying to become, so it tends to tip the scales.

With all of this talk about it, I'm beginning to grow curious about Thebes. In what ways will it differ from the other campaign?

And what sorts of heroes do you already have lined up for it? ;)

~Gabriel

I posted some dirt about Thebes earlier in the thread. Where Silverstone is a "new" hero city, Thebes is rife with past history. A large section of the city was actually destroyed (Battle of Center City) by Mechanix and the last super group that defended it (The Ministry of Justice) is dead.

Take a gander back there in the thread. I am not giving it all away, but this city is going to have a lot of black and white contrasts between the haves and have nots, etc. Lots of history and existing villians for the characters to sink their teeth into.

Right now the Catalyst universe is hero/villian light. The only real areas of activity are the players cities with existing groups (just in the US... not going to even think about anywhere else). So' date=' Guardian is going to have to be a solo player. From prior posts all I knew was Guardian got owned by Lord Havoc, no background, nada. Just hey, your dead.[/quote']

I wasn't real specific in the background to make it easier to fit in the Catalyst World. I just started coming up with stuff to get around your proposed problems :D

As far as getting tricked by others, it would not be like that. Just the regular people in his life (and anyone else who knows him) are going to come looking eventually. Trying to hide who you are from people who know you is almost impossible. Unless you know the history in detail, it just does not work. All someone has to do is get the old "Sense Motive" feeling and see what happens. Might not happen right away (Issue 1, but it would come up).

Right and I would definitely expect it too. Hopefully by that time, I would have enough XP to buy off disads, or enough have happened to change them.

I don't mind the bad guy, all heroes need a nemesis (or a lot of them). A bigger picture is evidently needed.

Right and as I said I was leaving it generic to fit your world. Even the Lord Havoc can change if you have a better fit.

I don't have a problem with him at all, it is just trying to fit the character into the game world. Fed and I had this discussion a few weeks ago. Lots of weight behind who you are trying to become, so it tends to tip the scales.

How about this scenario, this assumes that the city was destroyed in a super's fight: Guardian was just one of the heroes involved in the fight who was killed during the battle.

If that doesn't work, we can work backwards. There are certain aspects of this character that I want to play. His powerset is absolutely not one of them. What I want, is a hero, that is trying to take the place of another hero without anyone finding out, and he needs the help of his genius friends to pull it off. That's what I REALLY want to play. Everything else is negotiable. The power armor just worked best because it hid his identity, required really smart people to fix it, and allowed hidden communication.

Maybe a Magic Power ring that could change the users appearance (Green Lantern homage) or a pair of wrist bands that changed the user into a flying brick when slammed together while saying Shazam! Like I said the powerset doesn't matter as much as the concept.

Wow, that's really embarrassing. Somehow I hadn't associated Thebes with that older post. :rolleyes:

What sort of hero is Fed playing in Thebes?

~Gabriel

I will let him post his character. He is playing a Energy Projector (of sorts).

How about this scenario, this assumes that the city was destroyed in a super's fight: Guardian was just one of the heroes involved in the fight who was killed during the battle.

If that doesn't work, we can work backwards. There are certain aspects of this character that I want to play. His powerset is absolutely not one of them. What I want, is a hero, that is trying to take the place of another hero without anyone finding out, and he needs the help of his genius friends to pull it off. That's what I REALLY want to play. Everything else is negotiable. The power armor just worked best because it hid his identity, required really smart people to fix it, and allowed hidden communication.

Maybe a Magic Power ring that could change the users appearance (Green Lantern homage) or a pair of wrist bands that changed the user into a flying brick when slammed together while saying Shazam! Like I said the powerset doesn't matter as much as the concept.

The entire Ministry of Justice is dead. They died about 10 years ago and there are now statues of them as a memorial. So, playing one of them is pretty much out.

There is a hero/villian known as "The Raven". She was a mystically based oracle of sorts. She did have flight and sonic'ish powers, and she is dead. However, she has been around for a LONG darn time, she has Serial Immortality. She was training an apprentice but no one else knew it. It was assumed she died in the Battle for Center City (and she did). However, you could take her place. She always seems to show back up and people take her for what she was. Kinda like mixing Dr. Fate with a Time Lord :P I was originally basing her like the Phantom, the next generation just fills her shoes... there has always been a Raven in these parts (even before there were Primes).

I would let you make her up from scratch EXCEPT you need to take some oracle'ish powers. She wore a cape with a hood and no-one EVER saw her face. If she shows back up (as you playing her) everyone will assume automatically that she just came back, again. You would be watched by the local Native American Tribe and Watched by Warpath.

You could either be an apprentice or she dies at your feet and passes a the mantle onto you. I have a hook for either, you choose.

While it really is no where near my Guardian concept, I do like the idea. I wouldn't mind being the apprentice, could have the whole hidden angst that she wasn't really ready to take over the mantel so she's scared inside, but has project confidence.

As far as powers, were her oracle powers a ritual, a dream, or just flashes of insight? I assume she's a Native American type mystic? Warpath is another Native American?

I will him post his character. He is playing a Energy Projector (of sorts).

Cool. 'Of sorts' probably means 'complicated', and that's always interesting.

I have an idea for a character, and I'm wondering if he'd fit in Thebes. In essence, he's a reformed supervillain. Had a brief but high profile career in the Middle East before deciding to turn himself in. He was tried and found not guilty due to lack of evidence, and now is looking to start over again somewhere. Since Thebes just lost a superteam, it seems like the perfect place for him to begin again.

Does that much sound as though it would work?

~Gabriel

While it really is no where near my Guardian concept, I do like the idea. I wouldn't mind being the apprentice, could have the whole hidden angst that she wasn't really ready to take over the mantel so she's scared inside, but has project confidence.

As far as powers, were her oracle powers a ritual, a dream, or just flashes of insight? I assume she's a Native American type mystic? Warpath is another Native American?

Some of the knowledge is passed down by oral tradition and some comes with the mantle itself. So, if you are the apprentice then you have had sufficient training beforehand to know what is knowing on. You will have to take scholar and about 4 skills. If you just take the mantle you get power without insight (Greatest American Hero anyone). However, the Mantle holds something of past Ravens, so you do get some insight.

Warpath is a Native American villian organization. Raven worked with them AND the Ministry of Justice. See my post about Thebes, you get to know a bit about them. I will let you know more off the boards.

The oracle ability is a ritual. You will not be using it on the spur of the moment, but it is pretty darn power divination (beyond campaign limits to be certain). However, there is a cost.

The Mantle of Tears (the black feathered cloak and hood) is a mystical artifact. Wearing the mantle means becoming an instrument of the spirit world (much like Dr. Fate is an instrument).

Psych Limitation: Cryptic (Common, Strong) - you can NEVER just give anyone a straight answer to a real problem. You must use double talk, innuendo, etc. Think of all those good lines "Like is a difference between knowing a path, and walking a path". It is common instead of very common because it is not with mundane matters, when needing to know something really counts... you cant give a straight answer. If you make the roll, you can give more of an answer... but you still can't give it all.

Psych Limitation: Guide not Guardian (Common, Total) - you can't act on your knowledge, you can only inform. If true seers were able to act on everything they knew, they would be supreme in their power. That does not mean you can't be a guide for others and it does not mean you cannot assist them. It means you cannot directly act on mystical knowledge or mundane knowledge gathered mystically, you must find an instrument to act on it. However, as you are Cryptic you have a hell of a time telling people what to do :P

Physical Limitation: Magical Being. Things that normally effect things from other planes, effect you. You live your life split between the spirit world and the real world. So magical triangle, someone knowing your true name, all of that... works for you and against you.

Those are the biggies. You want to take more along those line, be my guest. You will be watched by the Local Native American Tribe (As pow, Non combat influ) and by Warpath (More Powerful).

NOW, if you want to just be someone who the Mantle was passed onto during the Battle for Center City, then the real apprentice is going to come gunning for you (Hunted, As powerful), in hope to gain the Mantle. Unfortunately, like Dorthy's Ruby Slippers, the Mantle is not just something that can be taken off.

The Raven's known powers are magic based, but you dont have to intone any gestures or whatnot, they are inate abilities. Flight and Sonic Attack powers to start. How you pick you defenses is open for interpretation. I recommend some sort of Elemental Control for Flight and Armor. Put all you other abilities in a multipower. The BIG divination is going to have a bunch of disad (Only usable a limited number of times an adventure, takes hours to complete, needs set environemnt, etc). If you are an apprentice you have access to a magic base, if you just find the mantle you dont have access to a magic base.

You still in?

Heck yeah. It might be really fun to have the mantle just passed during the fight. Then you add the whole "What the heck am I doing?" to the mix. If you don't have a preference one way or the other, I think I'd rather go that route. Heck she may even WANT to give up the mantle to the apprentice but the magic won't let her.

Am I going to need to post mine as a full text block? I'm not running on much feedback beyond "I don't know if I want to run another dragon". Valid, as far as it goes (and I have a couple other concepts), but actual looks into my character sheet and saying "No, no, this isn't good" would also help; For instance, I'd honestly like to know how much cutting and pasting of Psych Lims is good for each form, etc...

I have an idea for a character, and I'm wondering if he'd fit in Thebes. In essence, he's a reformed supervillain. Had a brief but high profile career in the Middle East before deciding to turn himself in. He was tried and found not guilty due to lack of evidence, and now is looking to start over again somewhere. Since Thebes just lost a superteam, it seems like the perfect place for him to begin again.

Does that much sound as though it would work?

Why go the easy route with being turned in and found not guilty? Say he was found guily and did time. If would actually using your powers over here, do something big you usual get away with overseas and get away with it once or twice. Then get cocky and get caught by the Ministry of Justice. Maybe your plans went so awry you were almost killed, but were saved by one of them (Plasma Core very likely). You did your time in PIT and are honestly reformed. Lets say you did 12 years making big rocks, much smaller rocks :P You get out and decide to go back to Thebes and set things right.

You character would be probably be between 30 and 40 year old. You would have a unique prespective of the criminal underworld and how Primes are involved in it. I would let you buy some skills most players could not at the start of the game. I would also allow you to get some good contacts. You could go two routes: Keeping your OLD ID or forging a new one.

OLD ID

1. Watched by Authorities

2. Watched by Guardsmen

3. Something for being on Parole.

4. Some sort of limitation to show you are a covicted Felon.

5. Reputation 8- (whatever)

6. It would have to be a no ID or a Public ID.

7. Psych Limitation - Reformed Criminal (Common, Strong), you try to prove to yourself and the world that you can make it on the outside without reverting to your criminal past

NEW ID

You can either skip out on parole and get a hunted by authorities looking for your OLD ID or you check in with them but play as a new hero, or something.

1. Local Authorities

2. Old ID is on Parole

3. Old ID is still a convicted Felon

4. Same Psych Lim as above

5. Reputation 8- (normal id. Arnt you Killjoy? Yeah, but I would still like fries with that!!!)

If you are a Prime with inate powers, changing who you are would be really hard. I mean throwing plasma blasts is still throwing plasma blasts. However, if you were a suit... you could build another. Have different powers. It also means you old suit it locked away somewhere for someone to steal and parade around as you :sneaky:

Just some ideas. Really the GO TO JAIL route has a lot more RP potential.