Urban Fantasy Hero

Steve Long

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Urban Fantasy Hero

Wow.

Not only does this make interesting a genre that I previously found uninteresting, there are some bits mentioned in the review that have applicability in other Hero gaming.

*scrounging*

for example mystic detective ambrose stone [the cu version of harry dresden] coild have for a client bethany duqense, witchcraft herself

• 1 month later...

I bought it! Now, maybe someone can answer some questions that I have.

Is it considered a 'Dark Champions' sub-genre?

Being interested in the Hudson City scenarios, will I need to buy DC: Hudson City to get the full effect?

Are there Hudson City maps inside?

Thanks!

Some Urban Fantasy is a cross between Dark Champions and Fantasy Hero. Some Urban Fantasy has few, to no, Dark Champions elements beyond sharing the mordern day time frame.

The Hudson City settings can get more benefit from the Hudson City book - but they do provide a basic map of the city for you to use if you choose those settings to play in. At the very least, the Hudson City Map PDF is a good addition if you want to use that city itself.

The scenarios, however, are easily transported to the City Of Choice (real or otherwise) with no problems at all.

Some Urban Fantasy is a cross between Dark Champions and Fantasy Hero. Some Urban Fantasy has few, to no, Dark Champions elements beyond sharing the mordern day time frame.

The Hudson City settings can get more benefit from the Hudson City book - but they do provide a basic map of the city for you to use if you choose those settings to play in. At the very least, the Hudson City Map PDF is a good addition if you want to use that city itself.

The scenarios, however, are easily transported to the City Of Choice (real or otherwise) with no problems at all.

Many thanks, my friend.

Is it considered a 'Dark Champions' sub-genre?

I would consider it a Fantasy sub-genre, not a Dark Champions sub-genre. In most examples of the genre, most of the hallmarks of modern-day action-adventure -- guns, cars, espionage, etc. -- are nearly or totally absent. Some sub-sub-genres, such as Monster Hunters, come closer to Dark Champions, but still I'd call that Fantasy with DC flavoring for the most part.

Being interested in the Hudson City scenarios, will I need to buy DC: Hudson City to get the full effect?

Are there Hudson City maps inside?

The one-page full map of Hudson City is printed twice in the book: once on page 76 as a general reference, and once on page 181 with the ley lines marked on it.

Generally speaking, I think the settings/scenarios that take place in Hudson City are easily ported to any other city setting of your choice. The one possible exception might be Lines Of Contention, which would require some work on the part of the GM to figure out the ley lines for another setting, and the consequences of that (if any) for the progress of the adventure.

I would consider it a Fantasy sub-genre, not a Dark Champions sub-genre. In most examples of the genre, most of the hallmarks of modern-day action-adventure -- guns, cars, espionage, etc. -- are nearly or totally absent. Some sub-sub-genres, such as Monster Hunters, come closer to Dark Champions, but still I'd call that Fantasy with DC flavoring for the most part.

The one-page full map of Hudson City is printed twice in the book: once on page 76 as a general reference, and once on page 181 with the ley lines marked on it.

Generally speaking, I think the settings/scenarios that take place in Hudson City are easily ported to any other city setting of your choice. The one possible exception might be Lines Of Contention, which would require some work on the part of the GM to figure out the ley lines for another setting, and the consequences of that (if any) for the progress of the adventure.

Thanks Steve.

Me being the lazy fool that I am, I'm still going to buy HC and the Map so I don't have to stat out my own city. I was also considered getting Predators in order to use with UFH... unless you would rather me keep my money... ;)

Now if you could just re-release Dark Champions.

Thanks Steve.

Me being the lazy fool that I am, I'm still going to buy HC and the Map so I don't have to stat out my own city. I was also considered getting Predators in order to use with UFH... unless you would rather me keep my money... ;)

Now if you could just re-release Dark Champions.

After buying HC and the HC map, I have used it as the main city setting for all the games I've run regardless of genre, even if that use is just the map. All I have to do is raise or lower the amount of detail and make some on the fly changes. After all a NPC lawyer or policeman is essentially the same regardless of what year they operated in, the biggest diff being equipment and skills/knowledge.

I would most likely use the Vibora and Millennium cities more if they had a really super cool separate PDF map like HC does (hint hint :angel:).

• 3 months later...

Just asking' date=' would Urban Fantasy HERO be a good fit for some of the characters listed in Ultimate Mystic? I'm specifically thinking of the Indian cop-turned-mystic-PI and her main enemy, the Satanic crime boss and his vampire stooge.[/quote']

sounds like they'll work whats the skinny on them?

sounds like they'll work whats the skinny on them?

The crime boss is Julian Silvers -- it's not stated outright, but it's suggested that he is a member of the infamous Silvestris from Arcane Adversaries, as it's said that his family is a clan of Satanists who bring evil to the world with sorcery, crime, and corruption. He's not so much of a sorceror himself, but he has enough to become the youngest crime boss in his city.

His chief hood, Randy Dandy, is basically a former gangbanger who tried to kill Silvers on a whim. It ended with Silvers sacrificing RD to Satan before his (Silvers') patron demon turned Dandy into a vampire. RD isn't a really powerful vampire, but he does have superhuman strength and speed, as well as his old street hood skills, and he loyally serves Silvers.

I forget the lady detective's name right now. Basically, she's an American Indian, she was a police detective, she got put through a nasty initiation experience by the ghost of her grandfather which ended with her bounced from the force, and now she uses a handful of minor rituals, shamanic items (like a coup stick that lets her clout spirits as well as more material offenders), and her spiritual connections to solve crimes and fight various nasty supernatural sorts like Silvers and Dandy.

I forget the lady detective's name right now. Basically' date=' she's an American Indian, she was a police detective, she got put through a nasty initiation experience by the ghost of her grandfather which ended with her bounced from the force, and now she uses a handful of minor rituals, shamanic items (like a coup stick that lets her clout spirits as well as more material offenders), and her spiritual connections to solve crimes and fight various nasty supernatural sorts like Silvers and Dandy.[/quote']

Sarah Redhawk

side bar page 14

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...