Another "extinct" critter

Basil

Re: Another "extinct" critter

Looks like a cross between a horseshoe crab and a lamprey due to the circular mouth to me. Would make a very unusual creature to face in either a fantasy setting or more likely a science fiction one. Especially if you took the image and said it wasn't to scale, the actual creature could be the size of a rhino. :eg:

Soft tissue eyeballs do not fossilize, period. The only reason compound eyes do is because they are shelled in with exoskeleton (like an ant). This thing doesn't look like it has fossilized eyeballs, it looks like a freakin' muppet. I pity the artist that has to try to reproduce a squashed distorted, mangled image like that, but the picture is just ridiculous.

Working from the comment in the article about the original group of 'great appendage' critters becoming extinct in the Middle Cambrian, I imagine they are referring to the Anomalocarids (like Anomalocaris and Laggania), which are a very odd bunch, and whose ancestry is a matter of some dispute (http://www.paleos.com has a good discussion of this).

This looks like a cross between an anomalocarid and a crustacean, so I am not surprised that palaeontologists are excited about it (I know I am... :thumbup:).

[bTW, GURPS Dinosaurs once described the 'trilobite-munching' Anomalocaris as having 'a mouth like a camera shutter and no known descendants' :) - but that book did come out in 1997 or thereabouts)