One HELL of a poker game...

Marcus Impudite

Somehow, your character and company have found yourselves in the Netherworld (a.k.a., Hell) this time. While there, for whatever reason, you come across a small group of the archfiends from a number of different theologies, mythologies, etc. gathered around a table playing a game of cards; poker to be precise. The group seems to consist of Lord Mephistopheles, Lord Set, Lord Akuma, and of course, Lord Asmodeus. There's even a couple more at the table that you don't quite recognize, but considering the company they're in, they must be big shots. During each hand, they seem to be conversing on the topics one would expect from this particular group of diabolical entities. So far, they haven't taken notice of your presence (or if they have, they don't seem to care). WWYCD?

Re: One HELL of a poker game...

Junkyard Dog would probably just walk on, having some mission to complete (otherwise she wouldn't even be down here- it's established that she has the ability to channel holy power... People like that typically don't end up Down South unless they have a good reason to be there.).

Envy would probably be the Dealer, collecting all the souls and then bowing out before the demons realized he's stacked the deck in his favor. The cathartic release of thousands of tormented repentant souls would do much to ease Envy's worried mind. As to the problem of every demon lord in Hell being after him? "I've seen worse."

U.S. Steel is not stupid, despite himself, and would probably get on with what he needed to do.

Ladon would be the only one to try and break up the poker game... With predictable results.

Apollyon: An ex-cultist who sold his soul after being betrayed by his coven to escape death. Infused by the entity Abbadon, he tracks and monitors the arcane

Having found himself prematurely in the place he has long hoped to avoid Apollyon would be more than intrigued by the game. Knowing full well he would only be a flickering nuance Apolyon would keep his distance while trying to learn all he could from the conversations. Who has influence where, what the entities conspire together on and more importantly points of disagreement. Assuming he could escape with this knowledge there would be a lot a research to do and leads to exploit.

Deuce would not turn down a chance to kibitz, having introduced more than his share of individuals to the Nether Reaches. Discreetly, of course. He knows not to interrupt the proceedings of a poker game. Of course, he will be intensely curious as to what is discussed. And just what are the stakes? Souls?

If the stakes were high enough (for example, the characters had to win some contest to leave, a la The Seventh Seal) he would even play. He'd let the accompanying characters (and any allies) watch for cheating. Yes, he'd suspect such august company to cheat. His main job is watch for tells, while keeping his tells to a minimum.

"The game is Texas Hold-'Em. No limit, No wild cards. Well, perhaps our souls. 150 million souls maximum stakes? I'm penny-ante for that level... Baron Samedi, you're leaving? Thank you for your 5-million-soul buy in..."

All my characters would walk on by, except...

Olorin. If in the right mood (and the right spells prepared) he might watch a bit and then say "Hello guys." if they noticed. Some he has dealt with before. Some would just say "Hey Olorin, causing trouble down here again?" Others would want to get him, but I'd bet the rest would say "Save it for later. Get back to the game!"

As you can tell, Olorin has been around a bit, and little bothers him.

Gideon: He's a 200+ year old con-man, cardsharp, maverick, with tall-tale/ legend/folk-tale based luck powers including the ability to object read (he always has a chance to know if someone has stacked the deck). I think he'd see what the stakes are, and if he could afford it (or maybe even if he really couldn't) ask to buy in on the next hand.

A poker game with arch-fiends is just to perfect a situation for him to pass up.

ok, your playing poker in hell, what happens when you end up with a "Dead Mans Hand" do you get ressurected?

are we assuming a standard 52 card deck? or are we using a full tarot deck?

Poker with a full tarot deck? Why not, it would definately suit this bunch. ;)

hmmm...that just might be fun to try in real life...but that's a topic for another thread...

Not sure I have a character appropriate to such an adventure. Maybe Arcanna.

Arcanna would listen and try to identify the others. It's important to know all the players involved. Next would be to note what plans they were up to. After that it would be a matter of finding her way home to warn people of these pending plans.

Should any of them see her she's likely to be looked upon favorably. As in, "Hey, aren't you the girl who destroyed the anti-magic pact on Earth? Come over, let me buy you a drink."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I can't remember all the names, but by character -

My first wizard: Back out quickly, go somewhere else. He's a good guy, but waaaaay out of his league here and he knows it.

Darrel? A LG paladin, law, order and duty. Stride foward and do as much damage possible before dying. High-level, but not *That* high-level.

A short-lived Kensai Archer: Start shooting. Low Wisdom, high duty.

A longer-lived halfling swashbuckler (Bloodthirsty, too): Are you kidding? There's an epic battle right there, waiting to happen! Every second he survives is another legend in Valhalla!

Psionic, Awakened housecat: Leave. Immediately. 'I am *Not* a mouse!'. (Yes, this mouse has a cat in his brain)

My ninja: Listen, vanish, report. In that order.

Val'Kes (First character who's name I can remember! Yaaay! (From a story-thread that was deliberately high-level): Down the strongest drink he can, draw sword and attack as silently and swiftly as possible. Depending, he might actually kill one - Fighting is what he *Does*.

Chaos and Froggy: Switch one card from each player's hand. He's a god; he can probably manage it.

Naren (OSRIC Magic-User, 5th-level): *Eyes bug out, mouth gaps open, then turns around and moves swiftly out of there*

And that's all the characters I can really remember, which I think is most of them.