Vehicle - Stilt Suit

Zac

I am trying to create a powered exoskeleton type "suit" in my Champions: Thebes game. They are various models built around a common exoskeleton with just a few modification. The construction suit would have a some reach (to get to those tough spots), and a host of tools (Rivit Gun, Arc Welder, Cutting Torch, Jackhammer, etc). The fire/rescue suit would would have some reach (for those second story jobs) and a host of other tools (Jaws of Life, sealed systems, Fire Supression - attached to hydrant, etc). Warehouse grade would have a larger payload area and greater reach. I thought this would best be done as a vehicle (not an acutal suit) and this is my first vehicle.

I was thinking of making most the multipower slots charges (except the welder). Any thoughts about make-up, disads, and stats would be helpful.

He is the baseline construction unit.

Player: Dynamic Industries Stilt Suit, Construction sub-type

Val Char Cost

35 STR 25

11 DEX 3

20 BODY 10

3 SPD 9

6" RUN 0

0" SWIM -2

0" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 51

Cost Power

13 Electric Power Plant: Endurance Reserve (100 END, 10 REC) Reserve: (20 Active Points); REC: (10 Active Points); Limited Recovery (Only when attached to recharging system; -1 1/2), Slow Recovery 1 Minute (-1/2)

14 Reinforced Systems: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); Limited Coverage Nearly 360 Degrees (Hull/Frame Only; -1/4)

13 Grounded: Armor (0 PD/20 ED) (30 Active Points); Limited Power (Only vs. Electricity; -1), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4)

12 Partial Canopy: Armor (8 PD/4 ED) (18 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2)

10 Telescoping Arms and Legs: Stretching 2"

33 Construction Equipment: Multipower, 50-point reserve, (50 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll, PS: Stilt Suit Operator (-1/2)

4u 1) Rivit Gun: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, 12 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; +0), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points) [Notes: Charges for the rivit gun are a total of 12 rivits for the entire system. Rivit Gun can only be recharged at the construction site by a support tech.]

5u 2) Rivit Gun (in melee): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2d6 w/STR), 12 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; +0), Penetrating (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (50 Active Points) [Notes: Charges for the rivit gun are a total of 12 rivits for the entire system. Rivit can can only be recharged at the construction site by a support tech. Charge is continous as long as contact in maintained, once contact is broken another charge must be expended. This is to represent the rivit gun "laying in" on the rivit.]

2u 3) Cutting Torch: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)

2u 4) Arc Welder: Minor Transform 2d6 (Non-fused metal into fused metal), Continuous (+1) (40 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), No Range (-1/2)

3u 5) Fire Extinguisher: Suppress 6d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (45 Active Points); 4 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; -3/4) [Notes: Can only be recharged at construction site by support tech.]

Powers Cost: 111

Total Character Cost: 162

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Physical Limitation: Large and Heavy (Frequently, Slightly Impairing) [Notes: The suit stands about 8' tall and weighs in at just under a ton.]

Disadvantage Points: 10

Base Points: 155

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: Vehicle - Stilt Suit

Penetrating on a Rivet Gun¿?? I'm ditching the laser rifle...

Seriously, that's overkill. Penetrating doesn't reduce the defense of armor versus the attack - it has a minimum that completely bypasses armor. This isn't Excalibur or a tight-beam photon cannon...it's common construction equipment.

Since it looks like Stretching and the Arc Welder are the only abilities that draw on the END Reserve (everything else already has Charges) I would get rid of it (you're essentially paying points for what is really a Limitation) and replace it with a Continuing Fuel Charge Limitation on those powers.

This could also be done separately for the cutting torch slot (and even the fire extinguisher one) as well.

An earlier version of the Stilt-Girl armor was very much like this.

Something to watch out for, from the FAQ:

If a character has X” of Stretching does that mean he can stretch his arms X”, and his legs X” at the same time, effectively doubling the amount of Stretching he can use?

No. The number of inches of Stretching a character purchases represents the total amount of stretching his body can use at any one time. If he uses all that to stretch one body part, he can’t stretch the others; if he uses half of it on one body part, half of it remains for another body part; and so on.

Meaning effectively that at full height you won't be able to extend your arms. You may want to purchase them separately with limitations: only legs/arms.

Also, even with only 2" extra height I would buy some extra running linked to stretching, just a couple inches.

I am trying to create a powered exoskeleton type "suit" in my Champions: Thebes game. They are various models built around a common exoskeleton with just a few modification. The construction suit would have a some reach (to get to those tough spots), and a host of tools (Rivit Gun, Arc Welder, Cutting Torch, Jackhammer, etc). The fire/rescue suit would would have some reach (for those second story jobs) and a host of other tools (Jaws of Life, sealed systems, Fire Supression - attached to hydrant, etc). Warehouse grade would have a larger payload area and greater reach. I thought this would best be done as a vehicle (not an acutal suit) and this is my first vehicle.

I was thinking of making most the multipower slots charges (except the welder). Any thoughts about make-up, disads, and stats would be helpful.

He is the baseline construction unit.

Player: Dynamic Industries Stilt Suit, Construction sub-type

Val Char Cost

35 STR 25

11 DEX 3

20 BODY 10

3 SPD 9

6" RUN 0

0" SWIM -2

0" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 51

Cost Power

13 Electric Power Plant: Endurance Reserve (100 END, 10 REC) Reserve: (20 Active Points); REC: (10 Active Points); Limited Recovery (Only when attached to recharging system; -1 1/2), Slow Recovery 1 Minute (-1/2)

14 Reinforced Systems: Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Points); Limited Coverage Nearly 360 Degrees (Hull/Frame Only; -1/4)

13 Grounded: Armor (0 PD/20 ED) (30 Active Points); Limited Power (Only vs. Electricity; -1), Only When In Contact With The Ground (-1/4)

12 Partial Canopy: Armor (8 PD/4 ED) (18 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2)

10 Telescoping Arms and Legs: Stretching 2"

33 Construction Equipment: Multipower, 50-point reserve, (50 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll, PS: Stilt Suit Operator (-1/2)

4u 1) Rivit Gun: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, 12 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; +0), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points) [Notes: Charges for the rivit gun are a total of 12 rivits for the entire system. Rivit Gun can only be recharged at the construction site by a support tech.]

5u 2) Rivit Gun (in melee): Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2d6 w/STR), 12 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; +0), Penetrating (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (50 Active Points) [Notes: Charges for the rivit gun are a total of 12 rivits for the entire system. Rivit can can only be recharged at the construction site by a support tech. Charge is continous as long as contact in maintained, once contact is broken another charge must be expended. This is to represent the rivit gun "laying in" on the rivit.]

2u 3) Cutting Torch: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)

2u 4) Arc Welder: Minor Transform 2d6 (Non-fused metal into fused metal), Continuous (+1) (40 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), No Range (-1/2)

3u 5) Fire Extinguisher: Suppress 6d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (45 Active Points); 4 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; -3/4) [Notes: Can only be recharged at construction site by support tech.]

Powers Cost: 111

Total Character Cost: 162

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Physical Limitation: Large and Heavy (Frequently, Slightly Impairing) [Notes: The suit stands about 8' tall and weighs in at just under a ton.]

Mass is already reflected in a vehicles Size characteristic. Generally, powered armor is easier to model in an OIF universal foci.

But - and I'm guessing now, because there was no size or DEF score listed - but the strength is listed at 35 and 25 points were paid, so going to operate off the assumption that it's a Size 0. This would make it significantly shorter (if we translate 'length' into height) than the expected 8'.

If the suit itself changes - and that change takes any time - I would recommend you go with a multiform here.

Some things though:

PS is a background skill, and RSR for background skills is only -1/2. (Not a biggie, since you're the GM)

Do you really want to buy Suppress like that for the fire extinguisher?

It would need a +1/4 advantage so that it could effect "Any Fire power one at a time" rather than the base of just effecting a given Power. If the suppress doesn't actually extinguish the fire, then after the continuing charge expires, the fire regains it's strength.

I think a 12d6 Dispel Fire AoE, Any one Fire at a Time would be far better.

And I do not understand the Rivet Gun. What are the charges supposed to represent? Generally so long as it's compressor is working, a rivet gun can pound any rivet. And why would we add the suit's strength to it's usage? Is that like, clubbing with it?

I would say that a rivet is a transform with an IIF expendable (Rivet) into a Riveted Surface. When used in melee, if you were going to try and intentionally 'rivet' someone, you'd need to get close enough for the pneumatics to do real damage.

It would probably be a hearing flash combined with a very minor killing attack?

Penetrating on a Rivet Gun¿?? I'm ditching the laser rifle...

Seriously, that's overkill. Penetrating doesn't reduce the defense of armor versus the attack - it has a minimum that completely bypasses armor. This isn't Excalibur or a tight-beam photon cannon...it's common construction equipment.

I did a little more research and steel worker type rivit guns dont actually punch a hole. The rivot is put in a hole and then hammered in. They are a fastener, not the cartoon-ish fastener I was lead to believe :rolleyes: So the rivit gun that was fired at Darkman (in the movie with same name), that was a comic use.

So, I am going to ditch the melee version of the rivit gun and keep the ranged version (since I have some prior use in comics :P). Maybe replace it with a jackhammer.

I realize that Penetrating is a minimum that completely bypasses armor. However, don't knock out penetrating just because it is common constuction equipment. Laying in with some of the higher end blow torches can cut through some hard stuff (given the time). BUT, it may be that the torch just has multiple applicatications of Armor Piercing. I could see it either way.

I think Armor Piercing is the norm advantage but I don't think we have to look to mythical artifacts or future tech to find penetrating. I think some of the higher end tech we use today qualifies (industrial lasers, some military munitions) and some of our oldest tech qualifies to (like a forge). However, I dont think any stilt suits will be weilding industial lasers, military munitions or forges in the near future. Though a military styled stilt suit could be useful :sneaky:

An earlier version of the Stilt-Girl armor was very much like this.

Something to watch out for, from the FAQ:

Meaning effectively that at full height you won't be able to extend your arms. You may want to purchase them separately with limitations: only legs/arms.

Also, even with only 2" extra height I would buy some extra running linked to stretching, just a couple inches.

I did think about this and I was hoping someone would bring it up. I did not have a problem with 2" just for going up. The issue become when you take your arms 2" out and have to worry about getting pulled over because of 2 tons of weight at the end of your arms. So, if you were on the ground, you would have a lower center of gravity and not have to worry as much about toppling. OR I may be putting to much thought into it. :D

I think I am going to put 2" arms and 2" legs.

I did a little more research and steel worker type rivit guns dont actually punch a hole. The rivot is put in a hole and then hammered in. They are a fastener, not the cartoon-ish fastener I was lead to believe :rolleyes: So the rivit gun that was fired at Darkman (in the movie with same name), that was a comic use.

So, I am going to ditch the melee version of the rivit gun and keep the ranged version (since I have some prior use in comics :P). Maybe replace it with a jackhammer.

I realize that Penetrating is a minimum that completely bypasses armor. However, don't knock out penetrating just because it is common constuction equipment. Laying in with some of the higher end blow torches can cut through some hard stuff (given the time). BUT, it may be that the torch just has multiple applicatications of Armor Piercing. I could see it either way.

I think Armor Piercing is the norm advantage but I don't think we have to look to mythical artifacts or future tech to find penetrating. I think some of the higher end tech we use today qualifies (industrial lasers, some military munitions) and some of our oldest tech qualifies to (like a forge). However, I dont think any stilt suits will be weilding industial lasers, military munitions or forges in the near future. Though a military styled stilt suit could be useful :sneaky:

I see. Spoke too soon. :)

[ATTACH]30929[/ATTACH]

A lot of good comments out there.

I completely brain dumped on the Fire Extingusher. It should have been a Dispel.

I changed the stretching and purchased another 2" of running.

Changed all the other slots to charges too. I think the "Fuel Dependent" option is all wrong. I have "personally" not used fuel charges. Any pointers would be nice.

I did not change the size or mass of the vehicle as a characteristic. I was thinking, like the standard rules, they dont want you to purchases Increased Density/Growth (0 End Persistant) when just buying up the stats and putting a physical limitation would do. Now, if this was a car then I woudl buy it larger.. but it is just 8' tall, the weight is the big deal. Would a size value of 1 or 2 be better suited? I did purchase a 4 DEF to start, it just did not port over. I will hand correct it this time.

The suit does not "change". Think of the cargo lifter on Aliens. Just a powered exoskeleton.

Should I ditch the disads? Or, what kind of disads do you recommend for something like this? I was going with the Large and Heavy. Not only to show it was really big and not something you would bring into a china shop. Also, to simulate around a -3 on stealth type rolls.

Dan: "Hey, is that stilt suit following us John?"

John: "What! Where?"

Player: Stilt Suit, version 2

Val Char Cost

35 STR 20

11 DEX 3

21 BODY 10

4 DEF 6

3 SPD 9

8" RUN 4

0" SWIM -2

0" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 55

Cost Power

12 Telescoping Arms: Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Limited Body Parts - Arms only (-1/4)

12 Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Limited Body Parts - Legs Only (-1/4)

33 Construction Equipment: Multipower, 50-point reserve, (50 Active Points); Requires A Skill Roll, PS: Stilt Suit Operator (-1/2) [Notes: All charges be recovered at construction site by a support technician.]

4u 1) Rivit Gun: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, 12 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; +0), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points)

1u 2) Cutting Torch: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points); 1 Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; -2), Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 20 Minutes; -1 1/4), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)

1u 3) Arc Welder: Minor Transform 2d6 (Non-fused metal into fused metal), Continuous (+1) (40 Active Points); 1 Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; -1 3/4), Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 20 Minutes; -1 1/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), No Range (-1/2)

3u 4) Fire Extinguisher: Dispel Fire 11d6, Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (49 Active Points); 4 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances; -3/4)

Powers Cost: 105

Total Character Cost: 160

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Physical Limitation: Large and Heavy (Frequently, Slightly Impairing) [Notes: The suit stands about 8' tall and weighs in just under a ton.]

I see. Spoke too soon. :)

[ATTACH]30929[/ATTACH]

Stochastic is hereby banned from the Thebes game:eek: He will now, and hereafter, be my convert idea to .hdc file hound.:eg:

BTW, some of the slots were really neat. Rifled Nail Gun, Ready Mix entangle. And the Clinging power is nice too. I was wondering how I was gonna get this ontop of a 35 story framed steel building. Now I know:D

You have my permission to make the warehouse and fire/rescue models :nonp:

Stochastic is hereby banned from the Thebes game:eek: He will now, and hereafter, be my convert idea to .hdc file hound.:eg:

BTW, some of the slots were really neat. Rifled Nail Gun, Ready Mix entangle. And the Clinging power is nice too. I was wondering how I was gonna get this ontop of a 35 story framed steel building. Now I know:D

You have my permission to make the warehouse and fire/rescue models :nonp:

Aw. Hehe. Thanks, I think? :o

As to Disadvantages I would do that as a Distinctive Feature - Not Concealable, Recognizeable and Always Causes a Reaction. It would make sneakin' difficult. If they are commonly known as being associated with a particular bad group, we can add reputations. Susceptibilities and vulnerabilities are also good.

Size 2 is listed as "Chariot" (real helpful, huh?) size 3 is sportscar and 800kg.

Here's our moverbot/warehouse model.

I added the distinctive feature.

[ATTACH]30930[/ATTACH]

Stochastic is hereby banned from the Thebes game:eek: He will now' date=' and hereafter, be my convert idea to .hdc file hound.:eg:[/quote']

I'm okay with Stochastic doing his thing, but if he figures out a way to include Mental Defense, I'm going to have to register a protest... ;)

I'm okay with Stochastic doing his thing' date=' but if he figures out a way to include Mental Defense, I'm going to have to register a protest... ;)[/quote']

Tinfoil hats are standard issue underneath construction hats these days.

That's just a given.

Aw. Hehe. Thanks, I think? :o

As to Disadvantages I would do that as a Distinctive Feature - Not Concealable, Recognizeable and Always Causes a Reaction. It would make sneakin' difficult. If they are commonly known as being associated with a particular bad group, we can add reputations. Susceptibilities and vulnerabilities are also good.

Size 2 is listed as "Chariot" (real helpful, huh?) size 3 is sportscar and 800kg.

Here's our moverbot/warehouse model.

I added the distinctive feature.

[ATTACH]30930[/ATTACH]

Re: Bad guys group - no. These are just really expensive tools. They were by Dynamic Industries after 9/11. They were originally invented as rescue type tools, and branched out into other areas: warehouse and construction are the most prevelant. The military scoff's at these jokers but law enforcement agencies with deep pockets have been known to tinker with them. Getting Fire/Rescue models with large shields and amping up the water cannon for crowd control have appeared on TV (though Dynamic frowns on its suit being used for such activities). The military does not touch them... they have much nicer toys.

Right now, Engram and Inertia are defending a tram from about a dozen thugs with bad attitudes. One of these thugs is using a stilt suit outside of the tram, to yank the doors off like pull tabs on old soda cans. The stilt suit is to big to get inside the tram, but it can still reach in.

I've been following with great interest. This suit construct' date=' it still seems more like an OIF than a vehicle. But however you build it, it is an excellent and well-realized idea. Good job working through the kinks.[/quote']

I think it could be bought either way. However, I wanted something big and clunky that anyone could get in. I also want to give players a lot of options when tackling these and a partially open canopy does that. Players getting onto the front of the construct and grabbing the hippy taking a joyride is just the start. I could see some of the physically weaker characters throwing a bad guy "out of the car" and then using the vehicle. Teleporting the driver out. The list just goes on.

Heroes seem to have a knack for being at construction sites, warehouses, at building fires, etc and I really wanted some tools about that the heros/villians could comendere. Seeing a few of these at a construction site, a large fire or having one in Lowes/Home Depot is common. The players may not be able to use the extra equipment (rivit guns, blow torches, etc) but they could still drive around this mini tank (as in strong not tough) to solve some problems.

I have also tinkered around with the idea of having a few first generation offshoot constructions models about. They would be MUCH bigger and have an enclosed canopy, more like a construction crane realized in a large humanoid form. However, they were to complicated for general use (and general construction equipment does the job just as well). So, the business model collapsed. Having to fight one of these in a junk yard would be a great fun (for the GM anyway :D).

BTW, I appreciate everyone throwing in their 2 bits (or more). I am sure the characters in the game will truely appreciate it when one of these jokers has someone pinned underfoot, the [insert tool here] comes down with a laugh in the background and someone shouts [insert terrible construction pun here].