Google Earth

korovan

HAs anyone else out there used Google Earth as a game aid? I was looking at it the other day, and it occured to me that having instant access to satellite photos of the area around the Eiffel Tower or the Japanese Imperial Palace might be a good thing for super-battles...

Re: Google Earth

Has anyone else out there used Google Earth as a game aid?

In a word: YES!

In a few more words, I use it to find nearly every thing that comes up in game, like when a character asks "where should be put our base at?" If your using the most up-to-date version, the street view option has been of great help planning fights. Things that don't show up on the overhead view can be seen in that view (like a low wall around a park).

Not a fan' date=' i wanted something more for looking at terrain. Not good in that aspect. (at least when I tried a couple years ago, he may have improved since)[/quote']

Google Maps has a toggle that you can switch between satellite, map and terrain. I have found myself using all three functions quite a bit, especially a I ramped up my recent Team Norfolk campaign.

-Carl-

I use Google Maps a very great deal in my PBEM campaign set in Japan. I live in Japan and can visit some of the actual places used in the game. My players do not live in Japan. Being able to send off maps of the area is very helpful.

Some areas -- around Tokyo Station for example -- have links to pictures embedded in the map. Again, very helpful.

We should all post coordinates to our favorite battle sites.

I'll start:

Using Google Maps do a search for "Waterside Drive and St Pauls Blvd, Norfolk VA". I'd recomend toggling into satellite mode (with labels) for best effect.

Starting on the left of the map/image is the Battleship Wisconsin, permanantly moored at the Nauticus Science Center. Nearby, along Waterside Drive, is a curved building that served (in my campaign) as the home to the Corona Research Group. The CRG was, basically, the "patron" of the characters in the campaign. Further along Waterside Drive, towards the right side of the map, is one of the various bridges in the area. This particular bridge, which is equipped with a central drawbridge section to allow ship traffic, was the site of the characters first major combat in the campaign.

I have a copy of the imagery in question on one of my USB drives somewhere. Once I find it I'll attach it to this post as an edit. :D

-Carl-