Superhero Legacy 2: He took my old ID!

I've looked at the Superhero Legacy thread, and there are a few people who say 'This only works for a narrow range of people" so new Scenario...

You've retired. Maybe you felt yourself slowing down, maybe you don't get the thrill out of stoping crime like you used to, maybe the nemesis you set out to foil is finally dead, maybe you met you nemesis in 'the final battle' looked at each other in the eyes, realised how in love you were and got married, whatever.

So a few years pass then suddenly your watching T.v. (or whatever they have in 'the future') and a story comes on about "The Return of (enter Super ID here)", someone wearing a costume like your old one or who looks like they have powers similar to yours is show doing something heroic. You have no idea who this person is...

What do You Do? (as you character)

Re: Superhero Legacy 2: He took my old ID!

Well, my characters arent quite conducive to this one.

Badger- to him, if he has lost the ability to fight, he has lost the ability to live. (his sole purpose for not giving up on life) So, retirement is unlikely, even if he was too old to continue, he'd probably just sacrifice himself in one last battle in some situation to buy time for other heroes.

Frosty Bob- Doesnt age, pretty much immortal. Like Badger, fighting is one of his passions in life.

But, anyhow, in such a situation I would see....

Badger- probably keeping an eye on the newbie for a while. Makes sure he lives up to the name, possibly try to train him if he is worthy.

Frosty Bob- eliminate the imposter. There can only be one Frosty Bob. ;)

Junkyard Dog would surreptitiously make sure it isn't her kid doing this insane stuff before relaxing. Heaven knows she took the name from someone; at least this one won't have to end the old wolf now...

U.S. Steel would blink, sigh, shrug, and get on with life.

Envy is the only interesting one- he'd be balls-to-the-wall against this, and as a major telekinetic (now an old one), he'd probably have more than enough power, skill, and energy to say "No, you won't be taking that name thank you, I happen to like it just fine." There would be one exception- if his so-called successor is, like himself, The Earthbound Savior of his generation. Then the kid'll just get a warning, maybe a little fear of God in 'em.

Zero Core: Looking at the news, he would sigh, get his guns and swords and go track the punk down. When he found the boy he says, "Your aims off. Need to work on that." Then he will ask the kid's history, where he got what Zero Core thought was unique powers, and if he's satisfied he will give him his guns.

"Enjoy yourself kid. Try not to get killed." And leave to go back to his wife (I assume this is best case scenerio right? Because right now the most likely thing to happen is the entire universe gets destroyed).

Silver Knight: Quite pleased to have a squire in these modern times, he offers to teach the young one his lessons from life, and eventually let him take his name, while Silver Knight goes soul searching.

Flux: He yells "NOOOOOOO!" at the screen and goes looking for the punk. And tells the person being a super hero isn't all it's cracked up to be. If the Flux wannabe still does it, Flux leaves him to his disaster, until something happens that requires Flux to save him. He will say, "Told you." and then give him a few tips.

Dolphin: Not only does he apparently not age, but his "costume" makes Namor look way overdressed. Has been razzled by his time-traveling descendants before, will suspect another one. Will prepare for the other guy to track him down, and be ready to ask what's he done, or not done, this time.

Well, given the number of superhero names Prospero's left behind throughout his career, he might not be that phased that someone else took up one of them. However, if it's also coupled with similar powers, he might be suspicious enough to think it's possibly a trap/set-up by his best enemy The Eternal Nightmare.

Tammy would laugh. She goes by her real name now, since she never owned the rights to her old heroic id or costume anyway. The studios can try to find this new hero and sue, if they like.

Bolt would track the new hero down and have a nice chat about why she retired from the business in the first place. If the newbie still wants to go ahead, she tell them to go right ahead and invite them to call for advice if they get in over their head.

Volt - Since did not give permission in advance he would hold a press conference and go on the same media. "I have no idea who this is. I have not given permission to use my name or costume. If he lives up to my standards, I wish him well but wish he had asked. If he does not live up to my standards, I will take legal action first. Then any other as necessary."

Olorin would be mostly amused. Since he does not age, being unable to hero is not likely. Going inactive might be possible. Eventually he'd go public and say "It's not me. And I can prove it." Study him for a while and challenge him. Villains he'd kill. Heros would have to beat him, or they would be publically humilated. "There can be only one Olorin!"

Black Tiger would hunt him down since he had no permission. The guy would have to talk fast and very convincingly or there would be a fight, even if Black Tiger is old and retired. He'd arrange for the fight to be recorded. If Black Tiger won, good. If he lost, the other guy probably be seen to be in the wrong. Not good start for a hero. A public apology and assumption of another name might be enough.

Futurian "I'm retired. I don't care, but it ain't me." If retired, that would be it. If he went back to the future, he wouldn't even know.

Leadman - If retired, he almost certainly would have already handed it over to a new Leadman, and would let that one handle it. If not trully retired or had no one to take over, he'd go Volt's route.

Uncle Slam will pass on his mantle before he retires, so this isn't too applicable to him, and I'm not sure my other heroes would be famous enough to merit such attention. But anyone pretending to be infamous hacker Audra Blue has pretty much screwed themselves. She'll follow the trails of information created by all of the media accounts, extrapolate who it is, and then force them to adopt their own identity by whatever means necessary. Whereas if Anthem (who is very young) were retired, she'd be pleased to see somebody doing good things, even if it was with her ID.

Stick: see which one of his students took up his name without his permission. Beats said student over head and shoulders with a bamboo rod. "I taught you everything you know. But I didn't teach you everything *I* know!" Make arrangement for student to get the advanced courses. And pick his own, original, name. "I am Stick. You can be Twig."

Shadow Hawk: Use invisibility and stealth to stalk the new hero, and make sure he's on the up and up. If yes, leave him alone. If no, make contact with the old Organization to take the punk down.

Thunder Child: I can't imagine TC living to retirement yet. Maybe after he develops some defensive powers.

Super Model would probably say "Good riddance!" to the code name at least if someone else actually claimed it. She doesn't have a signature costume though, and she's both internationally famous and inhumanly beautiful, so I don't think actual mistaken identity would be possible except by the most ill-informed of newscasters.

Kurzhaan the Conqueror uses his own proper name, so it's doubtful someone else would choose to emulate it, and he doesn't conceal his face in public. He did get to the 21st century by a time travel snafu though, so if a doppelganger turned up he'd at least consider the possibility that his timeline was being crossed in subsequent trips and it actually is him. Definitely worth investigating to see what's going on.

Earth Girl would be pretty hard to convincingly imitate, what with being made of animated soil and plants. She's not really into fame or glory so I don't think another super hero co-opting her name would be that much of a concern for her. If it looked like there was a new earth elemental in town, she might try to meet just to find out if Gaia has generated a new one due to some failing on her part.

Pyrie started the superhero business at age sixteen, so she'd probably have burnt out (no pun intended) on it before she hit 40. She'd definitely be curious about any girl with both her powers and the attitude to try and use her name in crimefighting. The phrase "fighting fire with fire" comes to mind...... If there's a good reason for this person to be using Pyrie's name, she'll offer to teach them about controlling their powers-after she's taken them down a notch or three.

MACH 5: "Dude, if you want to run around in a tin can that carries enough firepower to match a military interceptor? Go nuts, but you shouldn't use a name that's about 20 years old."

"Tank" Matherson, not likely, as it's a nickname, not a code name.

And Tai would just shrug and change his to something else.

You've retired.

So a few years pass then suddenly your watching T.v. (or whatever they have in 'the future') and a story comes on about "The Return of (enter Super ID here)", someone wearing a costume like your old one or who looks like they have powers similar to yours is show doing something heroic. You have no idea who this person is... (as you character)

Vitus would watch for a while - as long as the would-be-Vitus doesn't screw up badly and make the original look like an idiot, I wouldn't mind.

i.e. Reducing a carjacker to a smear on the wall because that's less annoying than trying to take him alive, no problem

Reducing a carjacker to a smear on the wall because he screwed up, in front of the cameras, with no easy way to say "I meant to do that" , completely unacceptable.

Mask of Justice: In my private canon, retired because the abundance of plastics in the post-war period made his powers less and less reliable. He'd check to see if he still had them, and then investigate to find out who this "Silver Age Mask of Justice" actually is. (Probably someone from an alternate Earth where superheroing is just getting started, and has a "science" origin rather than a "magic" one.)

Calculus: If it's someone taking on his long-discarded "Brain Boy" identity, he wouldn't much mind, it's not something he's eager to take back. If it's "Calculus" , that merits further investigation. He's worked hard to make it appear that Calculus was only ever an urban legend, not caught on film or seen in public. If the costume is accurate, it's going to set off all sorts of alarm bells.

Rock Bottom: If it's another poor gay kid turned into a living statue, Rock's going to be there for him. If the new RB is against everything the old one stood for, there's going to be a big fight. (In court, if RB retired because he got cured of the made of stone thing.)

Kira Midori: This apparently means she never makes it back to her home timeline. Also, since she adventures under her real name, and her "costume" is an NYPD uniform, new girl is going to have a lot of explaining to do. The most likely scenario is that the "new" Kira is from another alternate timeline shot back under similar circumstances. Soo confusing.

Talion: Laughs himself sick at the new cursed guy. Sobers up when he wonders why he isn't dead yet.

Dr. Wonder; Would confront the offender & proceed to "quiz" the person in his areas of expertise & decide if said person was qualified to carry the name.

Gunnodoyak; would find the character & verify what the character's motives were for carrying on the name. Maybe also bring the character back to his tribal shaman for confirmation on personal motives.

Rush; would probably confront new person & challenge!