Going to be running a Teen Champions game...

Harry Canyon

Hi all,

I'm going to be starting up a Teen Champions game in the not-too-distant future. We need some gaming, but light-hearted is the goal. ;)

So, what types of stories/adventures and background things (especially related to the whole teen angst issue) have you done in a Teen Champions game? What settings have you used? What things didn't work?

Thanks!

Take care,

Derek

Re: Going to be running a Teen Champions game...

Actually, I am running a Teen champions game right now with a group of very keen players.

I have posted my own thread of questions here you should find useful:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1779319

The game began with the group being in a school for super heroes, which is hidden underneath a normal school (No one but the super teens and a few teachers know about it). Our first 'adventure' was a hologram of Dr Destroyer to see what their reactions would be. Not bad, as there was no wrong answer in this case, so al got XP.

The next adventure, a PC (Who had quit earlier) had her power suit which controls her powers and stops her from having seizures, stolen by VIPER. It led to one teen being traumatised, and a surprise visit by Captain Chronos!

New PCs have arrived, and so all were taken out by some NPCs to the movies. Before they could even get into the cinema, the mall is attacked by a kinetic powered super villain. Then when they have the villain cornered, the top floor explodes! They are dealing with that right now.

If you think you can make heads or tails of it, this is the link to what's happened so far, I'll fill you in on what happens after it's over:

http://rpol.net/display.cgi?gi=30922&ti=28&date=1237483360&msgpage=&show=all

Also this might be helpful if you need enemy ideas:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70525

Was this any help?

Cool. Thanks!

The link to your questions and the responses gave me some good ideas.

I recently made some notes on a couple of teachers at their school. A sex ed. teacher and a coach. (Not at all based on any teachers I remember from high school. ;) Way back then.)

Take care,

Derek

Actually, I am running a Teen champions game right now with a group of very keen players.

I have posted my own thread of questions here you should find useful:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1779319

The game began with the group being in a school for super heroes, which is hidden underneath a normal school (No one but the super teens and a few teachers know about it). Our first 'adventure' was a hologram of Dr Destroyer to see what their reactions would be. Not bad, as there was no wrong answer in this case, so al got XP.

The next adventure, a PC (Who had quit earlier) had her power suit which controls her powers and stops her from having seizures, stolen by VIPER. It led to one teen being traumatised, and a surprise visit by Captain Chronos!

New PCs have arrived, and so all were taken out by some NPCs to the movies. Before they could even get into the cinema, the mall is attacked by a kinetic powered super villain. Then when they have the villain cornered, the top floor explodes! They are dealing with that right now.

If you think you can make heads or tails of it, this is the link to what's happened so far, I'll fill you in on what happens after it's over:

http://rpol.net/display.cgi?gi=30922&ti=28&date=1237483360&msgpage=&show=all

Also this might be helpful if you need enemy ideas:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70525

Was this any help?

did the heroes get the powersuit back or destroy it so viper couldnt use it?

They got it back in then end, but VIPER had already managed to reverse engineer an improved version of their Dragon Armour from it. The prototype was destroyed, and the one wearing it is assumed arrested. But it is unknown if the designs have been released to the rest of VIPER.

But then bad news became worse. While the armour, when back on the NPC, did stop the seizures, her body was so damaged she could never use her powers again, and would need medical treatment for the rest of her life. But if it hadn't been for the PCs she would have died. So a kind of tragic victory.

I run a much more serious Teen Champions Game set in a public high school. It's kind of like Teen Champions meets Veronica Mars, but it's got some serious fun quotient.

If you want to ask me questions, I'll have to ask you to take it to private messages, because my players frequent these boards.

Our group just had a teen Champions adventure where a teen scientist at Ravenswood was trying to impress a girl and created a love amplifier/animator and put the girls teddy bear(Mr. Snuggles) in it. You see the young scientist (AJ) figured he could animate the teddy bear and the teddy bear could repay all the love he had received when the girl(Angel) was young. Of course the twist in this plot is Angel was abused when she was young and took out her childhood rage and confusion on poor Mr. Snuggles who once animate wants revenge.

our group just had a teen champions adventure where a teen scientist at ravenswood was trying to impress a girl and created a love amplifier/animator and put the girls teddy bear(mr. Snuggles) in it. You see the young scientist (aj) figured he could animate the teddy bear and the teddy bear could repay all the love he had received when the girl(angel) was young. Of course the twist in this plot is angel was abused when she was young and took out her childhood rage and confusion on poor mr. Snuggles who once animate wants revenge.

opps good idea bad result

I just recently started a Teen Champions game myself. It re-uses the Ravenswood name from the Teen Champions book, but I modified it to be a University setting, with the PC's being Freshmen at the tender age of 18-19.

I have a wiki page up with lots of basic information, since this is openly accessible to the players there's no behind the scenes info. I hope for one or more of the players to start providing recaps or something like that, but as we've only had one game so far that hasn't happened yet.

http://torii.wikidot.com/champions

But I do have a whole lot of behind the scenes ideas in my head, as well as other background information and plot ideas.

I just recently started a Teen Champions game myself. It re-uses the Ravenswood name from the Teen Champions book' date=' but I modified it to be a University setting, with the PC's being Freshmen at the tender age of 18-19.[/quote']

FWIW, first year university students in Australia are (mostly) 17-18, which makes the Teen Champions themes even stronger.

The main one, of course, is that legal drinking age here is 18, so underage drinking is extremely common.

Voting age is 18, driving age is... umm... 17 more or less, age of consent is 16.

Basically you end up with lots of former school kids who have suddenly become "adults".

And, of course, lots of eccentric professors/mad scientists and kooks of every variety. What could possibly go wrong?

Most of the time our characters are generating (or they should be) their own adventures just by being teens!:eg:

Problem is I went from being a very off the cuff GM to being a 'planner'.:doi: I'm trying to get back to the off the cuff stuff. Quite frankly it was much more organic as it reacts to the players actions, rather than requiring some predetermined set of goals to be achieved.

So what kind of adventures have they been generating?

Take care,

Derek

Hi all,

I'm going to be starting up a Teen Champions game in the not-too-distant future. We need some gaming, but light-hearted is the goal. ;)

So, what types of stories/adventures and background things (especially related to the whole teen angst issue) have you done in a Teen Champions game? What settings have you used? What things didn't work?

Thanks!

Take care,

Derek

I'm doing a very basic Ravenswoood game. My kids have just enjoyed a few very basic adventures. Most of the game has centered around the school--training room fights, tension between cliques, and a few encounters with a rival team of villainous teens.

I think a key is to not to be afraid to let time pass. No endless freshman year. Even at a school that caters to kids with superpowers, it should be easy to bring the 'secret makes my social life crazy' angle up.

FWIW, first year university students in Australia are (mostly) 17-18, which makes the Teen Champions themes even stronger.

The main one, of course, is that legal drinking age here is 18, so underage drinking is extremely common.

Voting age is 18, driving age is... umm... 17 more or less, age of consent is 16.

Basically you end up with lots of former school kids who have suddenly become "adults".

And, of course, lots of eccentric professors/mad scientists and kooks of every variety. What could possibly go wrong?

nothing its a perfect scenario for super-hero adventures with the "scientists and kooks" it'd be perfect for adult super- heroes on vacation as well

Well, I've recently been running a tricky speedster who didn't like the way some of the teachers were keeping valuable info from the kids. Like his older brother who'd died 15 years previuosly reappearing with no explanation as to where he's been (he also hasn't aged any since the day he disappeared). So my character decided to leave the school impulsively (like a teen).

Then he tried to get his parents to ask questions & they won't. He even went so far as to ask his parents about possibly suing the school for misrepresenting what had happened to their son. So now he's back at the school investigating his brother (who he isn't too sure of).:sneaky:

I also try to be an off the cuff GM. I find that if I try to plan too much, the players tend to hope tracks on me. Then I have to scramble to keep up. If I play it loose & keep the guide lines simple everyone has an enjoyable time. One of my favorite things to do is have the players do most of your reference work for you. Especially in their character back grounds...

I hope this helps.