275 Point Project Psi: Midnight

JmOz

One night, when the clock struck midnight on new years eve a baby was born to this world. This baby was not a normal child, it was one that had been predicted.

The Midnight Society knew the child would be born.

The society would raise the child, teaching it how to use it's ability and how to be their warrior on the streets of the city. At 20 years old the child is now grown and fights on the streets of the city at night to protect

(Some things to add in, the great grandfather of the child was also a Midnight, the name the society gives it's warrior, furthermore he is the founder of the society in the 1930's.)

Midnight

Player:

Val Char Cost

15/30 STR 5

20 DEX 21

18 CON 16

11 BODY 2

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

12 COM 1

5/10 PD 2

5/10 ED 1

4 SPD 3

7 REC 0

36 END 0

30 STUN 2

7"/12" RUN 2

2" SWIM 0

3"/6" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 70

Cost Power

--------- Clairsentience------------------------

13 1) Future Sight: +2 Overall (20 Active Points); Sense Affected As Mental sense group & Clairsentience (-1/2)

5 2) Mental Awareness

20 3) Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (81 Active Points); NCC (-2), Blackout (-1/2), Requires an atuned object (-1/4), Sense Affected As Mental sense group (-1/4)

8 4) Armor (5 PD/5 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Combat Luck Based (-3/4), Affected As Mental sense group & Clairsentience (-1/2)

4 5) +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Affected As Mental sense group & Clairsentience (-1/2)

7 6) +1 SPD (10 Active Points); Affected As Mental sense group & Clairsentience (-1/2)

--------- Mask, all slots OIF (-1/2)-----------------------------------------

3 1) Nightvision (5 Active Points)

3 2) Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points)

6 3) HRRP (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As Sight, Hearing, & Radio (-1/2)

20-------Utility Belt: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2)---------------------

1u 1) Collapsable Staff: (Total: 29 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) +15 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Limited Use of Strength (-1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); OAF (-1), Always Direct (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

1u 2) Swinglines: Swinging 20", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u 3) Flash Bangs: Sight and Hearing Groups Flash 3d6, Explosion (+1/2) (30 Active Points); 12 Charges (-1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4)

1u 4) KO Bombs: EB 1d6+1 (vs. ED), 6 Boostable Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+1/4), Explosion (+1/2), Sticky (+1/2), NND ([standard]; +1), Continuous (+1) (30 Active Points); Range Based On STR (-1/4), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4)

1u 5) Tear Gas Pellets: CE 1" radius, -3 to Normal Sight PER Rolls, -2 to Con Rolls, Multiple Combat Effects, 6 Boostable Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+0), Sticky (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Range Based On STR (-1/4), May be missile deflection (-1/4) [Notes: If Con roll is failed character is stunned, sticky does not include the AE of the power. The cloud disipates after one turn, but the effect to those in the area last 5 minutes]

1u 6) Smoke Bombs: CE 4" radius, -4 to Sight Group PER Rolls, 6 Boostable Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+0) (24 Active Points); Explosion (-1/4), Range Based On STR (-1/4), Can be missile Deflected (-1/4)

1u 7) Throwing Knife (Moon Shaped): HKA 1d6+1 (2d6 / 2 1/2d6 w/STR) (vs. PD), Range Based On STR (+1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (30 Active Points); 3 Recoverable Charges (-3/4), No Knockback (-1/4)

1u 8) Camera: Eidetic Memory, 4 clips of 32 Charges (+0) (5 Active Points); OAF (-1)

1u 9) Skill Kits: +3 with all non-combat Skills (24 Active Points); Only in appropriate Situations (-1/4)

1u 10) Midnight Cycle: Running +5" (8"/13" total), x8 Noncombat, rapid Noncombat movement (+1/4), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Hours (+1/4) (30 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)

Powers Cost: 99

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 25 STR / 40 STR to Disarm

4 Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 / 8d6 Strike

3 Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 / 6d6 +v/5, Target Falls

3 Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR / 40 STR for holding on

3 Weapon Element: Blades, Clubs, Staffs

Martial Arts Cost: 25

Cost Skill

3 AK: Home City (INT-based) 13-

3 Acrobatics 13-

1 Acting 8-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Common Knowledge (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

2 2) KS: Criminal Law & Procedures (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

2 3) KS: Super-Villains (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Climbing 13-

3 Combat Driving 13-

3 Concealment 13-

1 Conversation 8-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Interrogation 12-

4 Language: Native (idiomatic)

3 Lockpicking 13-

3 PS: Vigilante (INT-based) 13-

1 Paramedics 8-

1 Persuasion 8-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Shadowing 13-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 12-

1 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles

1 Teamwork 8-

Skills Cost: 64

Cost Perk

5 Contact: Detective Simon Queen. Police Liason (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources) 11-

8 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers, Membership: Crusaders, Membership: Midnight Society

4 Reputation (A medium-sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6

Perks Cost: 17

Total Character Cost: 275

Pts. Disadvantage

5 DF: Strong Mental Aura (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

10 Hunted: Local Police Department 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

20 Hunted: Midnight Society 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

20 Hunted: Viper 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Psych. Lim.: Dedicated to the Midnight Society (Common, Total)

10 Psych. Lim.: Heroic (Common, Moderate)

15 Soc. Lim.: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 175

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: 275 Point Project Psi: Midnight

It's actualy a build almost strait out of various Hero Game builds (charges or clips may be different), plus I think I will turn it into a video camera (Continuing fuel charges)

I do have some concerns about the character. While I like the Batman Light with Psi powers aspect, I wonder if it complicates the character to much. if it makes it so that the character will be stepping on the feet of the gadgeteer and martial artist characters too much.

I suspect if I were to trim some of the UT belt Items (Maybe drop the explosives and one of the movements?) it would help me with the feel of to much gadgeteer...not sure...

As for the MA, not as concerned with it, but maybe trim it down to a few manuevers or just skill levels with a HA...not sure

One ability I am thinking of adding (If I had the points) was a AP on all attacks, or a Find Weakness ability representing "seeing the future to hit the right spot...Thoughts?

If you are looking to build a mentallist, then this is a good kernel of an idea. I like the skill levels. If you are instead looking to make someone in the Batman/Daredevil/Moon Knight/Nighthawk (Marvel)/etc. mold, then you have a tremendous candidate. Aside from the somewhat pedestrian DEX (and really it's not that low), you have a good martial artist. And the skills set and gadgets are likewise very robust, tight and elegant sets.

I can't remember who you made up for a martial artist or gadgeteer. But even blind to the other candidate you built, I would bet that this one is better.

Excellent job as usual, Jim

If you are looking to build a mentallist, then this is a good kernel of an idea. I like the skill levels. If you are instead looking to make someone in the Batman/Daredevil/Moon Knight/Nighthawk (Marvel)/etc. mold, then you have a tremendous candidate. Aside from the somewhat pedestrian DEX (and really it's not that low), you have a good martial artist. And the skills set and gadgets are likewise very robust, tight and elegant sets.

I can't remember who you made up for a martial artist or gadgeteer. But even blind to the other candidate you built, I would bet that this one is better.

Excellent job as usual, Jim

The Martial Artist has gone under so many names I can't even remember what I settled on (Seeker, Eagle's Claw, etc...), basicaly a play of Junomasters origin (Lived in a timeless monestary where he learned martial arts for 60 years) and the Gadgeteer was a green goblin like character

• 2 weeks later...

looking over this character I am wondering if the limitation on the powers (affected as sense groups mental & clairsentience) is overvalued at -1/2. I definatly think it is worth at least a -1/4 but not sure if it really is a -1/2

I think I see what you are trying to get at here:

20 3) Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (81 Active Points); NCC (-2), Blackout (-1/2), Requires an attuned object (-1/4), Sense Affected As Mental sense group (-1/4)

The precog part power is probably unnecessary. The retrocog ought to be limited by time and vague and unclear instead of NCC (-2). Maybe NCC (-1, can turn it on but no control over what info), Vague and Unclear (-1/2), Time Chart Limitations (-1/2). That way it's the same cost for the retrocog but you have a little more control over it:

Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), NCC (-1, can activate but no choice over what he sees), Blackout (-1/2), Requires an attuned object (-1/4), Sense Affected As Mental sense group (-1/4), Vague and Unclear (-1/2), Time Chart Limitations (-1/2) Active: 62. Real: 15. END: 6

Assume that the GM will be able to drop hints based upon the other Clairsentience powers and handwave the precog.

And does he actually pull a motorcycle out of his utility belt? That would be AWE-SOME

Did some revising, still working on it, will probably change at least some of the +Str to hand attack...

Midnight

Player:

Val Char Cost

25/35* STR 5

24 DEX 12

18 CON 16

11 BODY 2

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

15 PRE 5

12 COM 1

10 PD 2

10 ED 1

5 SPD 6

7 REC 0

36 END 0

30 STUN 2

7" RUN 2

2" SWIM 0

5"/7" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 64

Cost Power

5 Mental Awareness

Precognitive, all slots May not work around temperal anommalties (-1/4), Effected by Mental or temperal sense affecting powers (-1/4)

20 2) +10 DEX (30 Active Points)

13 4) +2 Overall (20 Active Points)

2 5) +1 PER with all Sense Groups (3 Active Points)

30 Multipower, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); all slots May not work around temperal anommalties (-1/4), Effected by Mental or temperal sense affecting powers (-1/4)

2u 1) Precognitive Fighting Skills: (Total: 44 Active Cost, 22 Real Cost) Armor (5 PD/5 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Combat Luck Based (-3/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus +1 SPD (Real Cost: 10) plus +10 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) [Notes: Str Lift limited to 400 lbs]

1u 2) Psychometry (Far Seeing): Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), MegaScale (1" = 100 km; +3/4) (44 Active Points); NCC (-2), Blackout (-1/2), Psychometry (-1/2), Sense Affected As Mental sense group (-1/4)

1u 3) Psychometry (Future Vision): Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing) (45 Active Points); NCC (-2), Blackout (-1/2), Psychometry (-1/2)

1u 4) Psychometry (Past Vision): Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing) (45 Active Points); NCC (-2), Blackout (-1/2), Psychometry (-1/2)

Mask, all slots OIF (-1/2)

3 1) Nightvision (5 Active Points)

3 2) Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) (5 Active Points)

6 3) HRRP (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As Sight, Hearing, & Radio (-1/2)

14 Midnight Staff: Multipower, 25-point reserve, (25 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1), Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness (+1/4)

1u 1) Collapsable Staff: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) +10 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Limited Use of Strength (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) plus Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points); OAF (-1), Always Direct (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2)

1u 2) Swinglines: Swinging 10", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points)

1u 3) Clubs: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) HA +3d6, Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) (19 Active Points); HA (-1/2) (Real Cost: 8) plus Range based on str on HA (15 base points) (3 Active Points); 2 Recoverable Charges (-1), Lockout (-1/2) (Real Cost: 1)

1u 4) Cables: Stretching 2", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); Always Direct (-1/4), Limited manipulation (-1/4)

1u 5) Smoke Cloud: CE 2" radius, -5 to Normal Sight PER Rolls, Personal Immunity (+1/4) (22 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/4)

Powers Cost: 106

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 35 STR / 45 STR to Disarm

4 Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 7d6 / 9d6 Strike

3 Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 5d6 / 7d6 +v/5, Target Falls

3 Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 35 STR / 45 STR for holding on

4 Weapon Element: Blades, Clubs, Precognitive Fighting, Staffs

Martial Arts Cost: 26

Cost Skill

3 AK: Home City (INT-based) 13-

3 Acrobatics 14-

1 Acting 8-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Common Knowledge (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

2 2) KS: Criminal Law & Procedures (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

2 3) KS: Super-Villains (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Combat Driving 14-

3 Concealment 13-

1 Conversation 8-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Interrogation 12-

4 Language: Native (idiomatic)

3 Lockpicking 14-

3 PS: Vigilante (INT-based) 13-

1 Paramedics 8-

1 Persuasion 8-

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Shadowing 13-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Streetwise 12-

1 TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles

1 Teamwork 8-

Skills Cost: 64

Cost Perk

5 Contact: Detective Simon Queen. Police Liason (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources) 11-

8 Fringe Benefit: Local Police Powers, Membership: Crusaders, Membership: Midnight Society

2 Reputation (A medium-sized group) 14-, +1/+1d6

Perks Cost: 15

Total Character Cost: 275

Pts. Disadvantage

5 DF: Strong Mental Aura (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

5 DF: Mutant (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

10 Hunted: Local Police Department 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Midnight Society 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

20 Hunted: Viper 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Psych. Lim.: Dedicated to the Midnight Society (Common, Total)

10 Psych. Lim.: Heroic (Common, Moderate)

15 Soc. Lim.: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 100

Base Points: 175

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

* Strength is actualy 15

• 3 weeks later...