Shadow Angelus

Edsel

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Shadow Angelus

Again, you guys officially ROCK. A lot of these in-depth questions ended up being handwaved during my run, but I always wished I had time to really dig in and get some of these details nailed down like you guys are doing. Awesome looking maps too. Keep up the great work.

On a side note, I always intended the Hydrolizers to be few in number and therefore relatively important, meaning that they could end up as a terrorist target, and the threat of one failing could have larger and dynamic consequences. I never had an absolute number in mind, though. :king:

Omega sector would be walled off at either end of the canal, with a lot of patrols along the canal to make sure things don't slip into the water. It's possible a wall has been put up to keep things in Omega.

I'd say they put up walls around the whole of Omega Sector. Perhaps the docs to the east were saved. You wouldn't want anything slipping into the ocean or a canal because who knows where it would surface at. Of course that probably still happens occationally.

So where do you think the 13th Precinct should be located? A, B or C, or perhaps somewhere else.

Remember that the city is capable of slow movement and does move seasonally to place the city in favorable weather patterns. I see the city existing in the area around San Fransico during the Summer and heading down to around LA or San Diego during the winter months. The ability to move also allows the city to monitor developing weather patterns and move from areas that are predicted to be subject to especailly high waves.

I don't think the city could escape a storm. It could move to areas with generally better weather patterns but storms at sea can take up hundreds of miles. Based on what is in the book we are talking about 2-3 weeks to move out of the way of a storm.

Storm 1

Storm 2

Storm 3 This is the best one.

I wanted to research this a little further. My first instinct said that there were some monster storms along the Pacific Coast but really those were little more than childhood memories (I grew up in California). So, after a hair of research.

These illustrate that even if Angelus could move there isn't much it can do to get out of a high danger zone. Still, it could probably avoid the worst portions of any severe storm. Overall, it had better be equipped to handle a bad one every 20 years or so...

If I recall the city does not more more than a few nautical miles per hour (I want to say 1 nautical mile). You'd need a more than a week or two to avoid storms like those and it would depend on original position and any oddities with the storm path. One saving grace is that meteorology might have greatly improved? I'm not smart enough to BS and pseudo-science my way out of that one.

In my head, the reason that the city doesn't get slammed by super storms is twofold: The city has plenty of espers and mages who can either predict the storm ahead of time (not to mention meteorological technology advances) or can abate the worst of the storm's effects.

I suppose moving out of the way of a storm is usually impossible, but given enough warning...

In my head, the reason that the city doesn't get slammed by super storms is twofold: The city has plenty of espers and mages who can either predict the storm ahead of time (not to mention meteorological technology advances) or can abate the worst of the storm's effects.

I suppose moving out of the way of a storm is usually impossible, but given enough warning...

I forgot the esper and mage angle. I'll bet it does not get hit by that many storms. I still imagine that it is engineered to withstand them on the off chance that it ever did but that system might be in poor repair.

I had some thoughts on the hydrolyzers and I'll see about posting them tomorrow. Thanks to Susano for reminding me that Anti-Grav (Spinners --- duh) is canon. That makes it simpler. I also agree that a smaller number makes for dramatic license - less than 10 but more than 5. Failure of a single station might cause a fairly large loss of life but not a total city-wide disaster. Loss of 2 or 3 and suddenly things aren't looking so sure. How does that sound?

I assume Edsel has his own opinions as well but the lower number sounds better than several hundreds, at least to me. I'd figure they all have to be packing a nuclear reactor (fission or fusion).

I keep wondering about world economies and the US structural integrity after the loss of California. The other red herring is that people spent billions looking for lost artifacts from California - I can't help but feel that it isn't right. It may be a cover story but it needs more elaboration.

I doubt I'll have time to work on the map much until Monday. Dang. I may still try to squeeze it in. Then it'll be time to start locating everything and seeing what we can do about major roadways.

So, here is rough draft number 3. I brought this one a little further along just so we could experiment.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31258&stc=1&d=1239289864

I've incorporated some of Edsel's wants - the channels are a little more extensive but much closer to scale (I don't think they can actually be scale).

The district and locations are my suggestions based on what limited text that I have access. I flipped Sigma and Alpha because of the placement of other sectors. Sigma now touches all but a few sectors and those sectors are residential areas and the Omega sector. It maintains its "hub" status. I also figured Omicron would be butted up to the Alpha district. Rho was planned as tres chic so while its location is odd - right up against some posh neighborhoods - it makes perfect sense.

I've placed Icons and some labels to start roughing in where things would be located. I can go with lots of variety in the icons and text or keep them all fairly uniform. I'd personally go with XSWAT/Police/Government buildings with a red square and everything else with a black/gray circle. Parks in green.

The peach color is just to see if Edsel wants me to shade the districts? I can do different colors. I just happened to have red as my fill when I did this one.

I can also add more channels fairly easily but the map seems to have found some balance to my eye.

[EDIT: I added a scale bar to the Illustrator file which means I've noticed how small the lake and reservoir are... I'll need to increase them some and the reservoir just looks ugly.]

An idea for the Hydrolyzers....

Electrogravitics was a field of science relegated to crackpots and amateurs during the early 21st century. Much like it's predecessor - flight - true scientists scoffed at the notion and ridiculed those children playing with cobbled together maglev devises. Scientists did not get involved until the debates were already over. Espers were the key to developing true gravatetic devices. Advances in high speed data transfer along with increased public monitoring of electro-magnetic fields (for meteorology and terrorism among others) demonstrated a connection between photonic and gravatetic states for those net savvy and overly curious. It was all public data and once Espers were in the news it took little more than a few key strokes to view the event on cameras and access the public safety grid.

Soon, advanced mag-levs were patented in the United States designed by people who played in the garage. Many fringe websites advanced the theory that the Mag-Levs were actually preventing true anti-grav devises. Evan Danzig took these theories further than anyone - patenting his works and founding a multinational corporation that still maintains a virtual monopoly on gravatetics devices.

Dyna-Grav worked closely with interests in Angelus as the city began to outgrow traditional means to remain afloat. Together, scientists from Angelus and Dyna-Grav built the Hydrolyzers. Security concerns have prevented public disclosure of how the Hydrolyzers work but the general public is aware of the following:

1. Hydrolyzers are powered by advanced nuclear reactors (Cored EM Reactor)
  2. They create huge volumes of steam.
  3. Hydrolyzers minimize but do not negate weak gravity fields.
  4. The Hydrolyzers are secure against any and all threats.
  5. Building a new Hydrolyzer takes many months and is done on an isolated platform.

So, how does that work? Edsel - you might want to pick the # and locate the Hydrolyzers on a special GM Eyes only map. I assume they are mostly underwater? When we are done, I'll send you a blank map.

An idea for the Hydrolyzers....

Electrogravitics was a field of science relegated to crackpots and amateurs during the early 21st century. Much like it's predecessor - flight - true scientists scoffed at the notion and ridiculed those children playing with cobbled together maglev devises. Scientists did not get involved until the debates were already over. Espers were the key to developing true gravatetic devices. Advances in high speed data transfer along with increased public monitoring of electro-magnetic fields (for meteorology and terrorism among others) demonstrated a connection between photonic and gravatetic states for those net savvy and overly curious. It was all public data and once Espers were in the news it took little more than a few key strokes to view the event on cameras and access the public safety grid.

Soon, advanced mag-levs were patented in the United States designed by people who played in the garage. Many fringe websites advanced the theory that the Mag-Levs were actually preventing true anti-grav devises. Evan Danzig took these theories further than anyone - patenting his works and founding a multinational corporation that still maintains a virtual monopoly on gravatetics devices.

Dyna-Grav worked closely with interests in Angelus as the city began to outgrow traditional means to remain afloat. Together, scientists from Angelus and Dyna-Grav built the Hydrolyzers. Security concerns have prevented public disclosure of how the Hydrolyzers work but the general public is aware of the following:

1. Hydrolyzers are powered by advanced nuclear reactors (Cored EM Reactor)
  2. They create huge volumes of steam.
  3. Hydrolyzers minimize but do not negate weak gravity fields.
  4. The Hydrolyzers are secure against any and all threats.
  5. Building a new Hydrolyzer takes many months and is done on an isolated platform.

So, how does that work? Edsel - you might want to pick the # and locate the Hydrolyzers on a special GM Eyes only map. I assume they are mostly underwater? When we are done, I'll send you a blank map.

I am still not sure how Espers have anything to do with the developement of electrogravitics. Espers are merely people with mental powers (psionics) how did this help usher in the maglev technology?

I like the map. I think the number of canals and there placement is just about perfect. Having a larger scale map of this could be quite useful. Remember I can print up to 36" wide on the color plotters at work. I'd love to be able to take this map, import it into MicroStation and then I could add layers in the drawing for things like hydrolizer locations, transit tubes, major steam tunnel connections, points of interest and the like. Of course at a larger scale we can fit more data on to the default map. It might be nice to mark the locations of all the Precinct houses, draw in the perimeter walls surrounding Omega Sector, etc. Lots of possibilities, we just have to decide what to add and how.

Rough draft 4... just cause I got the scale and I went ahead and shaded all the districts so that Edsel could figure out where he wants what...

attachment.php?attachmentid=31260&stc=1&d=1239299135

I am sure that this one is the best one yet, but it is much smaller scale when I try to download it. Small enough that some of the text is unreadable. The map posted just previous to this one was about twice the size.

I am still not sure how Espers have anything to do with the developement of electrogravitics.

See the email I sent. For the rest, I basically wrote this from a GM POV rather than a player POV so it isn't all handed to you in a neat wrapper.

Having a larger scale map of this could be quite useful. Remember I can print up to 36" wide on the color plotters at work. I'd love to be able to take this map, import it into MicroStation

I designed it in a vector based program - Adobe Illustrator so it should scale as much as we want.

I am sure that this one is the best one yet' date=' but it is much smaller scale when I try to download it. [/quote']

I am trying to preserve attachment space. So, I down sized it since you could see the text in the previous one. I have to downsize all of them to post them on the board. When we scale up I will have to look it over cause I have a few cheaty spots that might not look so good when you put a flash light on them.

I want to come game with you guys...

Any openings for a Macintosh IT guy where you are? :D

We'd love to have you but Oklahoma is pretty much the smelly armpit of America when it comes to tech and jobs. It would be real fun to get You and Killer Shrike out in good ole Oklahoma. Maybe, just maybe we could try a Gencon get together (not this year - I'm broke). We met but never gamed together in '06 at Gencon. Damn shame we missed the opportunity.