June 2nd

mojo_bones

Re: June 2nd

6E is slated for GenCon, as it always has been since we announced it. Even if we wanted to peg it to the release of the MMO (which we don't, given that the MMO doesn't use the HERO rules), we have to establish a firm release date because we have to arrange for printing and so on. Once we have a book, we can't just sit on it, waiting weeks or months for a video game to be finished. (MMO release dates are, after all, usually moving targets, Cryptic's having kept this one rigidly on schedule being a tremendous exception to the usual rule. ;) ) We need something big and shiny to sell to fans at the biggest gaming convention in the country -- so that's always our target date for the biggest book of the year. ;)

6E is slated for GenCon' date=' as it always has been since we announced it. Even if we wanted to peg it to the release of the MMO (which we don't, given that the MMO doesn't use the HERO rules), we have to establish a firm release date because we have to arrange for printing and so on. Once we have a book, we can't just sit on it, waiting weeks or months for a video game to be finished. (MMO release dates are, after all, usually moving targets, Cryptic's having kept this one rigidly on schedule being a tremendous exception to the usual rule. ;) ) We need something big and shiny to sell to fans at the biggest gaming convention in the country -- so that's always our target date for the biggest book of the year. ;)[/quote']

It's hard to imagine a bigger one. On the MMO: is it still going to be an Xbox/Windows simultaneous release, or will it be Windows only?

Nothing specific for Xbox has been announced. Unfortunatley following an interview with Jack Emmert on IGN, Atari took down the June 2nd release date and replaced with Spring 2009. Ign, where the interview took place, has the rlease date listed as Q3. With no official comment from Cryptic, It looks like the game may have been pushed back from Q2 to Q3. :(

Nothing specific for Xbox has been announced. Unfortunatley following an interview with Jack Emmert on IGN' date=' Atari took down the June 2nd release date and replaced with Spring 2009. Ign, where the interview took place, has the rlease date listed as Q3. With no official comment from Cryptic, It looks like the game may have been pushed back from Q2 to Q3. :([/quote']

It's looking like Cryptic might be going the same route they did with City of Heroes.

1. Push back the date.
  2. Push it back again.
  3. Start entire project from scratch (hopefully not!!!).
  4. Lose a portion of your excitement level for the game.
  5. Push it back again (after the projected date from #3).
  6. Lose a portion of your excitement level for the game.
  7. Release game 2+ years after initial projection date.

This line of development was the very thing that killed my interest City of Heroes for me, and headed me toward World of Warcraft.

I am very interested in Champions Online, but too many pushbacks will keep me in World of Warcraft. Blizzard Entertainment has been my primary PC gaming choice, and with Diablo III and StarCraft II on the horizon, I have some stuff to look forward to. :thumbup:

With Blizzard Entertainment, I have always gotten a great, quality product... and an on-time one as well. You can have both!!!

It's looking like Cryptic might be going the same route they did with City of Heroes.

1. Push back the date.
  2. Push it back again.

This line of development was the very thing that killed my interest City of Heroes for me, and headed me toward World of Warcraft.

I am very interested in Champions Online, but too many pushbacks will keep me in World of Warcraft. Blizzard Entertainment has been my primary PC gaming choice, and with Diablo III and StarCraft II on the horizon, I have some stuff to look forward to. :thumbup:

With Blizzard Entertainment, I have always gotten a great, quality product... and an on-time one as well. You can have both!!!

I think you may have mixed up Blizzard and Cryptic. ;) Except for WoW updates Blizzard is notoriously late in releasing software.

Its been a long time since I played CoH, but I was in the Beta for CoH, and I seem to recall the game release being pretty much on time from when the announced it. That said, I am realistic about software, if they say Q3, then they mean the end of Q3.

So I stopped by the local Game Stop and asked about a release date for CO. They guy told me right now it is scheduled to be released on June 2. I am sure this still might change' date=' but it is the first time I have heard an actual date.[/quote']

Hmmm... my birthday. A fortuitous coincidence? :cool:

1. Push back the date.
  2. Push it back again.

Wow are you deluded. Blizzard has NEVER and I mean NEVER made a relase date in the entire life of the company. Did I say never? What I meant was NEVER. Have you completely forgotten the Diablo II fiasco? What about Warcraft III? You mention Starcraft II, you mean the game that was originally scheduled for last year? That Starcraft II?

I won't dispute the fact that Blizzard puts out quality games (although I don't care for WoW), to say that Blizzard puts out an "On-Time product" is pretty funny.

We need something big and shiny to sell to fans at the biggest gaming convention in the country -- so that's always our target date for the biggest book of the year. ;)

I get the whole big release thing, but it always seemed strange to me that companies would want gamers first seeing their product at a convention where they could/should be playing the product. As is, 6th edition will be there for purchase and people will be playing 5th edition at the tables. If game conventions were just big retail release extravaganzas, then that would be a different story, but the gaming is kind of the focus.

I get the whole big release thing' date=' but it always seemed strange to me that companies would want gamers first seeing their product at a convention where they could/should be playing the product. As is, 6th edition will be there for purchase and people will be playing 5th edition at the tables. If game conventions were just big retail release extravaganzas, then that would be a different story, but the gaming is kind of the focus.[/quote']

I believe that DoJ is supporting some of the Hero games with shiny new rules. So a lot of people doing intro.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay' date=' now I really need to get serious about saving my pennies. Not only would I have to buy the game, but I would need a new PC, since I can't even get the beta to run on my system. :([/quote']

I am in exactly the same boat. "Fortunately." I have to save my pannies anyway because I need a new computer for school.

Okay' date=' now I really need to get serious about saving my pennies. Not only would I have to buy the game, but I would need a new PC, since I can't even get the beta to run on my system. :([/quote']

Man that is really a shame.....

So you aren't using your beta, eh?:eg:

If he is, or was, he is violating the NDA. :( (And this would be an especially bad place to do it - Steve Long being a lawyer and all that.)

How is he violating the NDA?

Initially, part of the NDA was not being allowed to even let people know you were in the Alpha/Beta.

But that part has been relaxed many months ago. So he would have been violating the NDA back then if he let someone know he was in, but not now.

Hmm. Disappointed to hear that it appears the XBox 360 version won't be shipping at the same time as the PC version...

My computer almost certainly lacks the horsepower to play the PC version. I have no need/want for a new PC for any other purpose, and it seems overkill to buy a whole new, fairly robust, PC just to play one game.

I had been planning to get an XBox 360 on which to play Champions Online, because there would also be other games I'd want to play on that. But just wanting to play the other games isn't incentive enough by itself. The main driver would be Champions Online, and that's greatly diminished if it's uncertain when CO will be available for it. And of course, it would be a drag to be sitting around waiting for an XBox version to be released when others were already playing, building up experiences, etc. from the PC version.

Bummer. Champions Online was going to be my first foray into MMORPGs. But now I'm kinda wondering if I should just forget it... :straight: