Else Earth Pantheons of the ...Verse

Enforcer84

Re: Else Earth Pantheons of the ...Verse

I got the idea for the next set of pics after reading steamteck's post about Ares and Co., and

what they've done in his campaign world.

First up is Eris, the sister of Ares and demigoddess of Strife and Discord:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43170[/ATTACH]

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

And the last pic in this set, the Legion of Ares:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43172[/ATTACH]

It was mentioned by steamteck in his post that Ares (in his campaign world) has a

group of Halo-type Spartans, so I set out to design these bad boys with that basic

style, but with a Grecian theme incorporated into their look, and this is the result.

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Guest steamteck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43221[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43222[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]43223[/ATTACH]

Montage of Ares images from my game :D:D

For my biggest fan...

a little Work in Progress:

Zeus - Jupitor

VAL...CHA...Cost...Total...Roll......Notes

90....STR.....80...90......27-.......HTH Damage 18d6 END [9]

27....DEX.....51...27......14-.......OCV 9 DCV 9

50....CON.....80...50......19-

50....BODY....80...50......19-

25....INT.....15...25......14-.......PER Roll 15-

30....EGO.....40...30......15-.......ECV: 10

60....PRE.....50...60......21-.......PRE Attack: 12d6

22....COM.....6...22......13-

30....PD......12...30/38.............30/38 PD (16/24 rPD)

30....ED......20...30/38.............30/38 ED (16/24 rED)

6....SPD.....23...6.................Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

30....REC.....4...30

200....END.....50...200

200....STUN....80...200

6....RUN......0...6"................END [1]

2....SWIM.....0...2"................END [1]

18....LEAP.....0...18"................18" forward, 9" upward

CHA Cost: 591

Cost...POWERS

375.....Divine Magics: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 150 base + 75 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (375 Active Points) - END=

330.....God of the Skies: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 150 base + 75 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (375 Active Points); all slots Limited Special Effect Sky-God Powers (Weather/Air) (-1/4) - END=

101.....Wind Walker: Multipower, 101-point reserve - END=

5u.....1) Group Windriding: Flight 20", Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (80 Active Points); Recipients Must Remain Within 4" Of Character (-1/2) - END=8

10u.....2) Wind Walker: Flight 20", Position Shift, No Turn Mode (+1/4), No Gravity Penalty (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (101 Active Points) - END=0

7u.....3) Windstriding: Flight 20", MegaScale (1" = 100 km; +3/4) (70 Active Points) - END=7

.....Acrutraments of Zeus - END=

52.....1) Thunderbolts of Zeus: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) (157 Active Points); OAF (-1), 8 Charges (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances: More Created By Cyclopian Smiths; -1) - END=[8]

19.....2) Warrior's Garb: Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=0

.....Olympian Physiology - END=

4.....1) Decidedly heavier than normal: Knockback Resistance -2" - END=0

30.....2) Detific Resiliance: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 30 Real Cost) Hardened (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4) (15 Active Points) applied to PD (Real Cost: 15) plus Hardened (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4) (15 Active Points) applied to ED (Real Cost: 15) - END=0

18.....3) Do you really want to get into MY mind? : Mental Defense (24 points total) - END=0

22.....4) Follower of Tail: Detect Attractive Females 15-/14- (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Range, Sense - END=0

20.....5) Godlike Resiliance: Damage Resistance (16 PD/16 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (20 Active Points) - END=0

3.....6) Godly Senses: +1 PER with all Sense Groups - END=0

5.....7) How fortunate!: Luck 1d6 - END=0

33.....8) I Rule the Ruler of Death: Healing: Regeneration 2 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2) - END=0

29.....9) Immortality: Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Extended Breathing: 1 END per Minute; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) - END=0

30.....10) Lifeforce Shielding: Power Defense (30 points) - END=0

22.....11) Living Meteorologist: Detect Weather 15-/14- (no Sense Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Range, Sense - END=0

60.....12) Master Dimension Walker: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Any Dimension, Any Location), x8 Increased Weight - END=6

44.....13) Shapechanging: Shape Shift (Sight, Touch, Hearing and Smell/Taste Groups, any shape), Instant Change - END=4

35.....14) Speak with Follower: Mind Link , Human class of minds, Any Willing Target, Any dimension, No LOS Needed - END=0

60.....15) Tougher than Thou: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% - END=0

60.....16) Tougher than Thou: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% - END=0

20.....17) Your God wishes to speak to you: Mind Link , Anyone who has been touched by the God's Powers class of minds, Specific Group of Minds, Any dimension - END=0

POWERS Cost: 1394

Cost...SKILLS

16......+2 with All Combat

6......+2 with Favored Weapon type or Martial Arts Style

30......+3 Overall

3......Analyze: Combat 14-

2......PS: Soldier/Warrior 11-

23......Power: Divine Magic Control 25-

3......Scholar

2......1) KS: Native Pantheon (3 Active Points) 14-

3......Traveler

2......1) AK: Native Divine Realm (3 Active Points) 14-

7......WF: Additional Weapon Familiarities

13......WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Early Firearms, Siege Engines, Small Arms, Off Hand

SKILLS Cost: 110

Cost...TALENTS

3......Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with All Actions

TALENTS Cost: 3

Value..DISADVANTAGES

5.....Distinctive Features: Godly Mein (Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

5.....Hunted: Native Pantheon 8- (As Pow; NCI; Watching)

10.....Hunted: Rival Pantheons 11- (As Pow; NCI; Watching)

DISADVANTAGES Points: 20

Base Pts: 200

Exp Required: 1878

Total Exp Available: 0

Exp Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 2098

Background/History

In the multi-verse in which Else Earth exists, there has been, off and on through the eons, a war waged between the Progenitors, an enlightened race of humanoids who seek to uplift their intergalactic and inter-dimensional brethren to their level of being. The Progenitors have mastered magic, technology, psionics, and the power cosmic. Of the many more malevolent forces that stand in their way, their greatest enemies are the so called Demon Lords of Crux. The Cruxian dimensions are all ruled by powerful beings of fel magic energy. ^^^^ As Earth is a nexus world, a planet that serves as a way point for several dimensions, it is an important front for their battles. As such Earth and the nearby planets in its solar system were littered with abandoned or automated stations and caches.^^^^ Zeus and Hephaestus found some. This was at the height of the Olympians' powers and prestige. Greece was the cultural epicenter of Europe, they reigned supreme. Zeus and his misshapen son traveled as Zeus was curious about the world and knew that he only oversaw a small portion of it. He took Hephaestus with him as the god of the Forge loved to see new technologies, or artistic endeavors. He also created special devices that let them travel unknown even to other gods. ^^^^ It was on one of these trips that they encountered a Prime Outpost. Hephaestus was fascinated. The technology was light-years ahead of anything he could create and even his divine abilities to understand and incorporate technology were being "overloaded" he could grasp the purpose of items but even he was at a loss to use them. Hephaestus wanted to stay and study the technology, but Zeus would have none of it. Hephaestus was very important. The weapons and armor he created was too valuable for him to shut himself in a far away outpost. Also, he didn't like the idea of his son having such untapped potential at his fingertips. Zeus summoned a great deal of his own mythical power and separated a fraction of his essence. Dubbing the newly created avatar Jupiter (as the young Roman states referred to him) he charged him with studying this technology, learning it, and bringing the knowledge back. Zeus planned on re-absorbing Jupiter and keeping the knowledge to himself. Zeus and Hephaestus then departed.^^^^ For a few years, Jupiter did what he was told. He could contact Zeus and give him updates on his progress. Zeus had given him great stamina and intellect, but no other powers. Jupiter slowly divined the purpose of the technology, and then figured out how to operate enough so that the computers would teach him more. Unfortunately for Zeus, the outpost had been a major factor in the Prime's battles with the LoC. The systems were geared towards the creation, training, and arming of powerful bio-weapons. Jupiter, who had long ago realized that he existed at the whim of Zeus; decided to attempt a grasp at power on his own. If he could become a cosmically powerful Bio-Weapon, he might be able to win his freedom. Using all his will to hide his activities from the mental link with his creator, Jupiter began the long, painful process of self transformation. ^^^^ Jupiter was unable to keep his traitorous thoughts from Zeus and the King of Olympus withdrew his treacherous avatar's powers and left it a lifeless husk. At least, that's what he believed. In reality, the removal of his divine life spark only eased Jupiter's transformation from entity of magic to cosmic powered entity. Upon reaching the pinnacle of his power, Jupiter transported himself to Olympus; and in various disguises took genetic samples of the major and some of the minor gods and demigods of the Olympic pantheon. ^^ ^^ Once his own "Olympian Pantheon" was created, trained, and armed, they attacked Mount Olympus. The battle was fierce and the original Olympians were, man for man, more powerful. They were not cosmically created clones; they were entities of magical power! Unfortunately, they were also disorganized, petty, and caught off guard. The bad blood that had festered between the true Olympians boiled over as each tried to defend their interests above those of Olympus as a whole.^^ ^^ Zeus, in an arrogant rage, made flashy and tactically unsound attacks. He would knock three of the invaders to their knees with one mighty blow; but instead of finishing them, he gloated. Hades and Poseidon were slow to join the battle, sure that their realms would be safe before lending aid to their brother. Ares would not work with Apollo, Herakles, or Athena. Hephaestus fought alone, refusing aid from his brethren. Hera, never a combatant; stood on the sidelines with Aphrodite.^^^^ In the end, Jupiter's followers were simply better led, better coordinated, and had the element of surprise. As the True Olympians began to fall to the coordinated attacks of their foes; Zeus became more and more enraged. He drew more and more power to himself. Often adding whatever minor stores of power his "useless" children or siblings had to take his might to unheard of levels. Deciding that taking out the "head" would stop the invaders, he prepared a massive attack for the upstart Jupiter. ^^ ^^ And that was when he heard the screams. Not just heard them, he felt the anguish and the pain. His wife, siblings, children, even his people - all of them; he had stolen so much of their life forces to fuel his power they were dying at his hand - all so that he could destroy Jupiter who was only a part of himself. ^^^^Zeus suddenly understood that the blast would surely kill everyone present, his wife, his brothers, his children and he faltered. Perhaps it was the access to Athena’s wisdom or perhaps Hestia’s loyalty to the family, or even a glimpse into the future…a future where he stood alone on the decimated ruins of his once mighty empire. Quickly changing tactics, he altered the magic energy burst from a destructive force to a transport. He transported everyone of his pantheon away, scattered them across the multi-verse so that they could escape; then with a grin, Zeus collapsed.^^^^The False Olympians descended on him like vultures – but Jupiter kept him alive, for he knew that the Olympian Realm needed the Gods to remain – his pantheon was not the stuff of magic and things would slowly deteriorate without their divine presence. Zeus also needed to suffer for his arrogance and defiance. Jupiter wasted no time in sending his “Father” to Tartaus and allowed his forefather’s the Titans to act as his jailors. ^^^^ For centuries, Zeus was tormented and abused, his successors reigned over his kingdom and as history marched on and the Olympian Gods slipped into the Lands of Legend, he accepted his fate – secure in the knowledge that his last act as the King of the Gods had been his most worthy. ^^^^ Zeus had sacrificed much of his divine power in saving his family. Beyond his immortality and physical prowess he had little else and the Titans and Jupiter’s pantheon gleefully tormented him over his losses – but they severely underestimated the King of the Gods. Slowly, Zeus’s power returned. He healed from their abuses quicker. He resisted their attacks better – he grew defiant rather than submissive. ^^^^ The King of Olympus formed a plan. He had a vague understanding of Jupiter’s powers and knew the reason he’d been kept alive. His plan originally called for him to incite Chronos and the other titans into murdering him and bringing an end to the Pretenders, as he called them. Jupiter’s brood would be unable to hold the magical realm and the Titans had been at least as good to Olympia as he had – but the Titans had also been unable to stand before the might of his family. Zeus hoped the Titans would act as stewards of Olympus until his family returned to claim it and drive them to the depths of Tartarus once more. ^^^^ Plans changed, of course once Zeus was visited by his son Hermes and told that the True Olympians were returning to claim their kingdom. Once Freed, Zeus led his pantheon against the Pretenders and their Titan allies driving Jupiter’s Brood from his kingdom and once again restoring Zeus to his throne. A throne he took back reluctantly.

Personality/Motivation

Zeus, like the rest of his clan has not come through the last several eons unchanged. Though he has retained a large degree of his pride and confidence, he's lost a considerable amount of arrogance and bluster. He only recently got his swagger back. ^^^^The God of the Skies is now a master of perseverance and patience. He won't hesitate to act, but he thinks things through a lot more now. For years after their return, Zeus literally flitted about like a dog who's family has been gone for the summer. He is proud of his family and fiercely protective of them - whereas before he protected his "turf."^^ ^^Finally, Zeus had a reconciliation with his wife Hera. Zeus once took his "Father of Olympus" title to extremes...and though he has not lost his appreciation for the female form, he has a far greater appreciation of his place in the universe.

Powers/Tactics

As the King of the Gods and the God of the Sky and Thunder, Zeus has a number of options when it comes to combat. He's a dominating physical presence, second only to Herakles, can channel magic with ease, even moreso if it's Weather Based, and has a number of weapons in his arsenal. He still weilds the Thunderbolts and he has added armor and other acrutuments from Hephaestus and others.

Campaign Use

Appearance

I don't know who could possibly be missing, considering I did pics for all of the Olympians

that you posted character sheets for originally; the only characters who didn't get pics of

them done were Cerberus and Baeorwahl (they would have been next to impossible to do

anyway, seeing as how the only canine template in Fabrica is a Doberman, and the im-

pression that I had of Cerberus was that he was a mastiff-type of dog; one with three

heads, yeah, but a mastiff all the same).

BTW, did you get the raw pics that I sent to your regular email addy?

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

Guest steamteck

Sorry about that; I forgot that I hadn't posted his pic yet when I got it back

from The Arc. Anyway, here he is -- Ares:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43328[/ATTACH]

Very nice, pity I can't rep you again...yet.

Guest steamteck

Zeus is awesome so far. he seems to have come through his ordeal more intact than I would have thought though.

I did but they're on another computer. Let me check real quick which ones I have on this baby...Hermes is missing.

On the plus side you have an Apollo Pic and I don't have an HDC file for him :)

Here's our missing (redone) Olympian -- Hermes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43335[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks man, I sent you some responses.

I'm almost finished with Zeus...then I have to redo Apollo, I totally lost what I had.

after that...

I'm so behind.

so today i'm going to tell a little story of Ragnarok.

In the Else Earth realm Ragnarok went off much differently.

In 1985 a twisted genius known as the Traveler came from the far future and attempted to conquer the present. To do so he forcefully drafted warriors and monsters from history. Including the Norse deity Thor. Because of this Ragnarok had a very different ending...the Asgardians and the giants were wiped out entirely. Thor's power was curiously dispersed and a few beings wielding copies of Mjolnir popped up now and again in history - a woman in WWI was the most notable. In the 1970's her granddaughter inherited the mantle and gear and fought as a heroine in Europe for almost 2 decades. In America, a history professor encountered a shade of an Asgardian and took the mantle of Storm-Hammer.

The "return" of Thor in the late 80's caused some unexplained mystical phenomena. He turned on the Traveler almost immediately upon realizing that Ragnarok had not gone as it has supposed to. Then the enraged thunder god (a bit more of a thinker than given credit) began "Reclaiming" his power which lead to some fights with established heroes. Finally, Thor asked for help and was returned so that Ragnarok would transpire as predicted.

That was known as "The Night of Fire" when Asgard's fate was resealed over 2 million citizens of Earth simply disappeared, some claimed it was the rapture, but many in the mystical community say it was the children of Asgard, their spirits spit over the lands of midgard called home. The Realms of Asgard were reborn and a new generation of Gods and monsters tried to find their way in the new age - nirvana had not occured but it wasn't all bad.

In the modern day several Gods walk Midgard on a regular basis and some infrequently:

• Freya is on my JLA/Avengers team the Lords of Justice. She's taken the warrior aspect on in honor of her fallen friends (Sif, Thor, Baldur, Odin, Frey - they didnt' survive) So she's kind of like Wonder Woman in my supers campaign, Fiery redhead with sexy armor, her cloak of feathers so she can turn into a falcon, she has a magic pool and wields a sword, she has her magic "girdle" but it's more of a delicate chain link belt (in the myths it was a necklace).

• Khur-Loki is the main villain, Khur was a young Asgardian Aesir who took the role of Luck God, he is a happy go-lucky adventurer and dabbler in magic. However, he dabbled where he shouldn't and has been possessed by Loki's spirit. He wears red and black, a good looking fellow with a magic sword and access to Loki's sorcerous might. Khur himself (His soul) is trapped in a mystic orb and using his luck powers consciously to ruin Loki's plots...Loki has 5d6 unluck at the moment but doesn't know the source.
  • Thrud, daughter of Thor has taken the mantle of sun-goddess. She is personality-wise more like Marvel's Hercules or She-Hulk, loves adventure and romance thinks Midgard is the bomb. But she has responsibilities in Asgard, she uses any excuse to get to Midgard though, she has an on again/off again romance with a young Frost Giant prince who has been exiled to Midgard.
  • Magni - He eschewed leadership and his father's weapons preferring to rely on his own might (said to be as strong as Hercules) and is something of a brawler. He inherited his mother's (Sif) black hair and dresses like a rather modern day bad ass, disdains tattoos though. He likes Marvel Thor colors, blues, golds, red. he wears special golden gauntlets that allow him some neat tricks, Grab water, hold big objects together...etc. He wanders the world as a Knight-Errant. He never stays in one place too long, but has joined a few teams.

• Modi - took the responsibility of All-Father; He takes after his father, red hair and beard, gave an Eye to Yggridsil and he has Mjolnir, the Gauntlets and the belt. He has a few streaks of white in his hair, and has Odin's Ravens now.
  • Idunn, goddess of Youth and Vitality has made forays to midgard to adventure among the mortals. She finds the Youth-Obsessed cultures in America and Europe kind of unsettling, if compelling.
  • Vidar, the Son of Odin and slayer of Fenris has wandered Earth on occasion but he prefers his homeland. He watches over his nephew's rule.
  • Frigga is Modi's chief adviser - she wasn't too keen on him getting the wisdom of Yggridsil as she blamed some of Odin's behavior on it, she watches Modi like a concerned grandmother would be expected to.

There are others, and I use comic book style Frost, Fire, Mountain, Sea, and Cloud Giants as well as High and Dark Elves, Dwarves, and Trolls.

More young gods as I create them.

Thanks man, I sent you some responses.

I'm almost finished with Zeus...then I have to redo Apollo, I totally lost what I had.

after that...

I'm so behind.

so today i'm going to tell a little story of Ragnarok.

In the Else Earth realm Ragnarok went off much differently.

In 1985 a twisted genius known as the Traveler came from the far future and attempted to conquer the present. To do so he forcefully drafted warriors and monsters from history. Including the Norse deity Thor. Because of this Ragnarok had a very different ending...the Asgardians and the giants were wiped out entirely. Thor's power was curiously dispersed and a few beings wielding copies of Mjolnir popped up now and again in history - a woman in WWI was the most notable. In the 1970's her granddaughter inherited the mantle and gear and fought as a heroine in Europe for almost 2 decades. In America, a history professor encountered a shade of an Asgardian and took the mantle of Storm-Hammer.

The "return" of Thor in the late 80's caused some unexplained mystical phenomena. He turned on the Traveler almost immediately upon realizing that Ragnarok had not gone as it has supposed to. Then the enraged thunder god (a bit more of a thinker than given credit) began "Reclaiming" his power which lead to some fights with established heroes. Finally, Thor asked for help and was returned so that Ragnarok would transpire as predicted.

That was known as "The Night of Fire" when Asgard's fate was resealed over 2 million citizens of Earth simply disappeared, some claimed it was the rapture, but many in the mystical community say it was the children of Asgard, their spirits spit over the lands of midgard called home. The Realms of Asgard were reborn and a new generation of Gods and monsters tried to find their way in the new age - nirvana had not occured but it wasn't all bad.

In the modern day several Gods walk Midgard on a regular basis and some infrequently:

• Freya is on my JLA/Avengers team the Lords of Justice. She's taken the warrior aspect on in honor of her fallen friends (Sif, Thor, Baldur, Odin, Frey - they didnt' survive) So she's kind of like Wonder Woman in my supers campaign, Fiery redhead with sexy armor, her cloak of feathers so she can turn into a falcon, she has a magic pool and wields a sword, she has her magic "girdle" but it's more of a delicate chain link belt (in the myths it was a necklace).
  • Khur-Loki is the main villain, Khur was a young Asgardian Aesir who took the role of Luck God, he is a happy go-lucky adventurer and dabbler in magic. However, he dabbled where he shouldn't and has been possessed by Loki's spirit. He wears red and black, a good looking fellow with a magic sword and access to Loki's sorcerous might. Khur himself (His soul) is trapped in a mystic orb and using his luck powers consciously to ruin Loki's plots...Loki has 5d6 unluck at the moment but doesn't know the source.
  • Thrud, daughter of Thor has taken the mantle of sun-goddess. She is personality-wise more like Marvel's Hercules or She-Hulk, loves adventure and romance thinks Midgard is the bomb. But she has responsibilities in Asgard, she uses any excuse to get to Midgard though, she has an on again/off again romance with a young Frost Giant prince who has been exiled to Midgard.
  • Magni - He eschewed leadership and his father's weapons preferring to rely on his own might (said to be as strong as Hercules) and is something of a brawler. He inherited his mother's (Sif) black hair and dresses like a rather modern day bad ass, disdains tattoos though. He likes Marvel Thor colors, blues, golds, red. he wears special golden gauntlets that allow him some neat tricks, Grab water, hold big objects together...etc. He wanders the world as a Knight-Errant. He never stays in one place too long, but has joined a few teams.
  • Modi - took the responsibility of All-Father; He takes after his father, red hair and beard, gave an Eye to Yggridsil and he has Mjolnir, the Gauntlets and the belt. He has a few streaks of white in his hair, and has Odin's Ravens now.
  • Idunn, goddess of Youth and Vitality has made forays to midgard to adventure among the mortals. She finds the Youth-Obsessed cultures in America and Europe kind of unsettling, if compelling.
  • Vidar, the Son of Odin and slayer of Fenris has wandered Earth on occasion but he prefers his homeland. He watches over his nephew's rule.
  • Frigga is Modi's chief adviser - she wasn't too keen on him getting the wisdom of Yggridsil as she blamed some of Odin's behavior on it, she watches Modi like a concerned grandmother would be expected to.

There are others, and I use comic book style Frost, Fire, Mountain, Sea, and Cloud Giants as well as High and Dark Elves, Dwarves, and Trolls.

More young gods as I create them.

Oooo...I see that there're some pics that I need to redo to match the descriptions here. Oh, well...

Back to the Fabrica salt mine.

Major Tom 2009 :whip:

• 3 weeks later...