Hero System Good Idea/Bad Idea...

Wormhole

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hero System Good Idea/Bad Idea...

If I am not mistaken, the whole "a vampire cannot abide the light of day" meme started in the 20th century.

Maybe vampires in later centuries will be like vampires in earlier centuries - stronger at night, but not helpless in daylight.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks vampires are a pain in the neck

Worse idea: Space Vampire Rabbit

... if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

Good Idea: Running a Star Trek campaign based on the movie. Since this is an alternate timeline, maybe the USS Lexington won't be destroyed this time.

Bad Idea: Reimagining Star Trek like Battlestar Galactica was. Vulcans, Klingons, etc. are genetically altered humans; guns fire bullets, but Starfleet uses tasers a lot...

NB: I actually liked the reimagined BSG, but the changes made just won't work with Star Trek.

Good Idea: Running a Star Trek campaign based on the movie. Since this is an alternate timeline, maybe the USS Lexington won't be destroyed this time.

Bad Idea: Reimagining Star Trek like Battlestar Galactica was. Vulcans, Klingons, etc. are genetically altered humans; guns fire bullets, but Starfleet uses tasers a lot...

NB: I actually liked the reimagined BSG, but the changes made just won't work with Star Trek.

Several of USS Enterprise's sister ships bought the farm during TOS (Valiant, Defiant, Intrepid, Constellation - plus both Exeter and Excalibur took total crew kills but may have been salvageable). I'm pretty sure USS Lexington survived (chewed up some in 'The Ultimate Computer', but that was all), unless you are referring to a later version / period.

Interesting to speculate on the timeline divergance that could exist by Next Gen.

Several of USS Enterprise's sister ships bought the farm during TOS (Valiant, Defiant, Intrepid, Constellation - plus both Exeter and Excalibur took total crew kills but may have been salvageable). I'm pretty sure USS Lexington survived (chewed up some in 'The Ultimate Computer', but that was all), unless you are referring to a later version / period.

Interesting to speculate on the timeline divergance that could exist by Next Gen.

According to the FASA game, the Enterprise was the only Constitution-class starship to complete its 5-year mission. I don't know if that was actually canon. But I remember the Excalibur being destroyed. I think I mistook the Intrepid for the Lexington. Didn't the Intrepid have the all-Vulcan crew and got killed by the giant space amoeba? That may change. And since my campaign was set aboard the Excalibur, the characters may yet live.

According to the FASA game' date=' the Enterprise was the only Constitution-class starship to complete its 5-year mission. I don't know if that was actually canon. But I remember the Excalibur being destroyed. I think I mistook the Intrepid for the Lexington. Didn't the Intrepid have the all-Vulcan crew and got killed by the giant space amoeba? That may change. And since my campaign was set aboard the Excalibur, the characters may yet live.[/quote']

Much as I like FASA Trek, it is definitely not canon. Close, but many instances where the background went in one direction, only to have the actual series / movies zoom off someplace else.

Intrepid had the all-Vulcan crew, lost in 'The Immunity Syndrome' (yes, to the giant space amoeba).

Excalibur was a victim of the malfunctioning M-5 computer in 'The Ultimate Computer'. Her entire crew was killed, but the ship itself could have been salvaged and returned to service.