Hero System Good Idea/Bad Idea...

Wormhole

Re: Hero System Good Idea/Bad Idea...

Good Idea: Occasionally taking the Activation Limitation on a power to decrease the total cost.

Bad Idea: Taking the Activation Limitation on an entire character to decrease the total cost. *

GM: "Segment 4, Dex 16, Activation Man, you're up."

Activation Man: [Rolling many dice of many colors] "Okay, my first roll...uhh...a 17...dang, I don't activate this Phase, sorry guys."

* I came up with this idea in the long and long ago, but it has not yet been inflicted upon anyone. :whistle:

I did that for a character who was "stumbling" or "staggering" forward in time. Phases she didn't activate were phases she missed because she moved direcly from a previous instant in time to a later one, without crossing the intervening moments.

Lucius Alexander

Activating a palindromedary

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Idea: Getting your powers from a radioactive spider bite

Bad Idea: Getting your powers from a radioactive dung beetle bite

Worse Idea: Getting your powers from radioactive dung

Silly Idea: Getting your powers from a radioactive toddler bite.

Way Worse Idea: Getting your powers by biting a radioactive toddler.

I did that for a character who was "stumbling" or "staggering" forward in time. Phases she didn't activate were phases she missed because she moved direcly from a previous instant in time to a later one, without crossing the intervening moments.

Lucius Alexander

Activating a palindromedary

Neat! I like that. Now if that idea had occured to me when the basic concept did back about 1983.... :sneaky:

Good Idea: Creating a character using several of the Champions Minus items just for fun...

Bad Idea: ...and showing it to your GM...

Worse Idea: ...your GM approves the character and you start playing it next week in an "all fives" campaign. *

* Campaign Ground Rules Sheet: Morality, Realism, Outlook, Continuity.

Good Idea: Buying some powers on a Focus

Bad Idea: Buying the whole character on a Focus

Typical Lucius Alexander Idea: Buying the whole character on a Focus because he's the Djinn of the (Lamp/Ring/Rug/Whatever) and whoever possesses the item controls not just some powers but the whole character

Lucius Alexander

palindromedary in a bottle

Typical Lucius Alexander Idea: Buying the whole character on a Focus because he's the Djinn of the (Lamp/Ring/Rug/Whatever) and whoever possesses the item controls not just some powers but the whole character

I wonder if any GMs would be non-averse to buying a Follower with an Accessible Focus. Lose the focus, suich as the lamp, and the Follower now belongs to the thief and is likely to work against you. See the original Disney Aladdin movie for this in action (especially at the movie's cliamctic battle -- which proved that nigh-infinite power can be no match for quick wits and cunning).

See the original Disney Aladdin movie for this in action (especially at the movie's cliamctic battle -- which proved that nigh-infinite power can be no match for quick wits and cunning).
... And that' date=' when it comes to the crunch, even the smartest Villain will be dumber than a bag of hair.[/quote']My version of the same scene (remembering that, in the original tale, there was no limit to the number of wishes or commands) goes something like this:

ALADDIN: The truth is, you simply haven't lived until you've tasted one of his roast beef sandwiches!

VILLAIN: Is that so?

ALADDIN: Yes, absolutely! You really should ask him to make you a roast beef sandwich!

VILLAIN: Very well, then! Genie of the Lamp, make me a roast beef sandwich!

LAMP GENIE (gleefully): Your wish is my command!

This one may take you a while... (less the older you are)...

Good Idea: Berserker Hero

Bad Idea: Berzerker Hero

Folded

I don't know, masked men traveling the world and having adventures, Berzerker sounds like a good candidate for an ultraviolent Lucha variant. Masked men traveling the world and spreading chaos seem like good central villians for a campaign. Super heroes where masks ... there are a lot of ways I could go with Berzerker

I don't know' date=' masked men traveling the world and having adventures, Berzerker sounds like a good candidate for an ultraviolent Lucha variant. Masked men traveling the world and spreading chaos seem like good central villians for a campaign. Super heroes where masks ... there are a lot of ways I could go with Berzerker[/quote']

Actually, I was referring to Fred Saberhagen's Berzerkers. Of course, I was also mis-remembering the title of the series to which I was actually referring. What I should have said was Bad Idea: Bolo Hero. Failed my Trivia roll, there. The Bolos are giant sentient tanks, and the heroes of a series of stories by Keith Laumer. Saberhagen's Berserker universe would actually make an excellent Hero game.

I don't like eggs, would someone like to scrape these off my face and cook them up?

Folded

• 1 month later...

Good idea: A cool superhero vehicle

Bad idea: Putting all of your points into a cool superhero vehicle

Typical Lucius Alexander idea: Multiform to cool superhero vehicle

Lucius Alexander

Multiform to palindromedary

GOOD IDEA: Running a Fantasy Hero game based on the Arabian Nights.

BAD IDEA: Running a Fantasy Hero game based on the Arabian Nights and being unfamiliar with the source material, i.e., hadn't even seen Disney's Aladdin yet.

GOOD IDEA: Running a Fantasy Hero game based on the Arabian Nights.

BAD IDEA: Running a Fantasy Hero game based on the Arabian Nights and being unfamiliar with the source material, i.e., hadn't even seen Disney's Aladdin yet.

Not such a good idea: Using Disney's Aladdin as source materiel.

Better idea: Using Burton's translation

Lucius Alexander

Either way, we don't need palindromedaries