Hero System Good Idea/Bad Idea...

Wormhole

Re: Hero System Good Idea/Bad Idea...

good idea luch libre hero

bad idea mud wrestler HEROine

I don't know, any story with a group of Luchadores could pretty much substitute in mud wrestlers.

One of 5 sisters leaves the family after having been falsely accused of a crime; sinks into the depths of Bosch's Professional Woman's Mud Wrestling, three years later found murdered. Her 4 sisters are now following in her footsteps hoping to avenge her death and clear her name of the crime she didn't commit. Who is the mysterious Paul Hiram Bosch also known as the Man from Houston and what are his plans for these lovelies? Will these brave girls succeed in clearing their sister's name and visiting dirty wet justice upon her killer? Play Mondo Freudo a mini campaign for Herophiles everywhere who aren't afraid to get dirty

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's time for another Hero System Good Idea/Bad Idea...

Good Idea: Pirate Hero

Bad Idea: Samoli Pirate Hero

I don't get to play a heroic Navy SEAL who takes out a pirate with a single daring night time shot on a restless sea?

Bad Idea: Gothic Hero

But that could be so fascinating!

Did you know that no one sacked Rome more often than the Goths did?

Alaric the Goth sacked Rome for the first time in over 800 years, after it had stood unconquered throughout most of the Replican and Imperial phases of its history.

Vitiges the Goth didn't get through the walls but most certainly ravaged everything outside those walls.

Baudila the Goth sacked Rome TWICE and threatened to make Rome a “pasture for cattle.”

And that's just from the Age of Sacks – there's the Age of Migration, the tense and adventurous time when the Goths first crossed into Empire, their struggles against the Huns, the rise and fall of the Gothic kingdoms....I think Gothic Hero would be a great idea.

Good Idea: Dresden Files Hero

Bad Idea: Dresden Dolls Hero

(I may have these reversed the jury is still out.)

Good Mixed Genre Nightmare Idea – Dresden Dolls Files

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Hero

I think Steve Jackson games did their versions of all the White Wolf settings including Werewolf: The whatever you put at the end. You may be able to pick that up and do a conversion if that's something you want to run with rules that don't make your head explode.

Even Worse Idea: Goth Hero

Hmmmm...Perfect for a horror game - Goths self isolate - makes that part of the campaign setup just a little easier:

"Sure you saw a monster grab Mrs. Beanie; I'm guessing it was made up just like you. Now go away."

or even better

"We know you freaks had something to do with it! If one more of you says vampire I'm gonna toss the lot of you in for psych evals."

"But you psychologist is the vampire!"

I think Steve Jackson games did their versions of all the White Wolf settings including Werewolf: The whatever you put at the end. You may be able to pick that up and do a conversion if that's something you want to run with rules that don't make your head explode.

This of course assumes GURPS doesn't make your head explode.

Actually, they only got through the Mage core before White Wolf pulled the plug on the GURPS conversions. (Why is something between the two companies; probably only those directly involved truly know).

One of the settings that GURPS never got to was Wraith: the Oblivion, one of the great disasters of RPG history. You played a restless ghost who spends most of his time feeling awful, with limited interaction with the real world. It's sort of like an RPG about being in Hell or Limbo. It proved very unpopular and went almost completely unplayed.

Hmmmm...Perfect for a horror game - Goths self isolate - makes that part of the campaign setup just a little easier:

"We know you freaks had something to do with it! If one more of you says vampire I'm gonna toss the lot of you in for psych evals."

"But you psychologist is the vampire!"

I HAD to Rep this.... So I did.

One of the settings that GURPS never got to was Wraith: the Oblivion' date=' one of the great disasters of RPG history. You played a restless ghost who spends most of his time feeling awful, with limited interaction with the real world. It's sort of like an RPG about being in Hell or Limbo. It proved very unpopular and went almost completely unplayed.[/quote']

THAT sounds like Emo Hero.

Good idea pulp hero

bad idea pulped hero

The heroes are a group of Orange growers in Florida during hurricane season...no

Security detail for a paper company in the Pacific Northwest in the late 60's...maybe?

Yeah, that one might just be a bad idea :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Celt

This of course assumes GURPS doesn't make your head explode.

Actually, they only got through the Mage core before White Wolf pulled the plug on the GURPS conversions. (Why is something between the two companies; probably only those directly involved truly know).

One of the settings that GURPS never got to was Wraith: the Oblivion, one of the great disasters of RPG history. You played a restless ghost who spends most of his time feeling awful, with limited interaction with the real world. It's sort of like an RPG about being in Hell or Limbo. It proved very unpopular and went almost completely unplayed.

GURPS had the Vampire, Werewolf and Mage lines converted. They made somewhat more sense done that way. OTOH White Wolf's Storyteller system was prety much a broadstrokes system where the gameplay was supposed to revolve around the dramatic creation and roleplaying of the players and GM rather than nitty gritty rules. The problem is someone's roleplay is always getting on someone else's drama and vice versa. It never seemed to work out as well as Reese's did

The part of FAILTM you missed about Wraith (or Nose Roids as the original obscure logo read to us) is where another player is your character's shadow. From wikipedia "This Shadow is essentially a secondary personality that, if the wraith's primary personality (or Psyche) becomes vulnerable, asserts control of the wraith's body and senses for a time. These episodes, called Catharsis, only end when the primary personality manages to reassert itself." Yeah, let's just ensure the players are at each others' throats, why don't we?

The part of FAILTM you missed about Wraith (or Nose Roids as the original obscure logo read to us) is where another player is your character's shadow. From wikipedia "This Shadow is essentially a secondary personality that' date=' if the wraith's primary personality (or Psyche) becomes vulnerable, asserts control of the wraith's body and senses for a time. These episodes, called Catharsis, only end when the primary personality manages to reassert itself."[/i'] Yeah, let's just ensure the players are at each others' throats, why don't we?

Just for clarity: That was an optional rule if the GM felt playing the player's shadows would be too much for him: The other option I can remember off the top of my head is that one group member co-gm'd playing all of the shadows.

Guest Celt

Just for clarity: That was an optional rule if the GM felt playing the player's shadows would be too much for him: The other option I can remember off the top of my head is that one group member co-gm'd playing all of the shadows.

Fair enough. It's been so long since I looked at Wraith I don't recall all the details. I didn't own it and the opposition system was what was explained to me by the GM. That game never took off as most of the players felt it was a bad idea.

Fair enough. It's been so long since I looked at Wraith I don't recall all the details. I didn't own it and the opposition system was what was explained to me by the GM. That game never took off as most of the players felt it was a bad idea.

As bad as Wraith was, Changeling was even worse. (Scroll down to "White Wolf's Changeling: The Lost." and prepare to lose SAN.)