Hero System Good Idea/Bad Idea...

Wormhole

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hero System Good Idea/Bad Idea...

Explain to the British Catholic how IRA Hero is a good idea instead of being in extremely poor taste.

... Or the Irish Protestants' date=' for that matter.[/quote']

I would say that there's a difference between "Terrible things about which I have strong feelings because of my involvement/proximity" and "Things which are in extremely poor taste".

Also Good Ideas and Poor Taste are not remotely mutually exclusive.

Edit: Also any discussion about the IRA or the like should probably take place in NGD

I would say that there's a difference between "Terrible things about which I have strong feelings because of my involvement/proximity" and "Things which are in extremely poor taste".

Also Good Ideas and Poor Taste are not remotely mutually exclusive.

Edit: Also any discussion about the IRA or the like should probably take place in NGD

Hardly my intention to get into THAT whole line of discussion, merely trying to point out that the attempt at humour was not in good taste.

Because "Built like a brick house" is a polite way of saying "Really really fat."

Actually it isn’t. “Built like a brick house” (sometimes also brick S***house) commonly refers to a woman who is “stacked”, which is to say, large busted. It can also be used to denote being muscular in men, particularly for short, stocky, “solid” builds. (Often the S-house version of the saying is used with men, where just saying house is more common for women, but this varies by location). “Brick house” denotes being “solid” or “sturdy” and has nothing to do with being overweight or obese.

Good Idea: Reading an Astronomy book to help you prepare a setting for your new Hero System campaign.

Bad Idea: Reading Hero System Fifth Edition (Revised) to help you prepare for your Astronomy final.

Good Idea: Reading an Astronomy book to help you prepare a setting for your new Hero System campaign.

Bad Idea: Reading Hero System Fifth Edition (Revised) to help you prepare for your Astronomy final.

Quite right. You should be reading Star HERO instead.

Quite right. You should be reading Star HERO instead.

Surprisingly enough, Star Hero taught me more useful astronomy than the textbook I used in my Astronomy class in college.

Or maybe that's not surprising....

Good Idea: Guitar HERO :rockon:

Bad Idea: Boy Band Hero :no:

I blame drugs: Real Roadie Hero :whip:

("I like the Quiet One." 'Why?' "Because he doesn't speak.")

Good Idea: Mutant City Blues HERO :thumbup:

Bad Idea: NYPD Blues HERO :thumbdown

Fnord: Blues Brothers HERO :joint:

("Attention all Units, BOLO for two white males dressed in black suits in a stolen police cruiser floating six feet off the ground on I-90. Suspects are not armed but considered dangerous)

Good Idea: The Miranda Rights :)

Bad Idea: Waiving the Miranda Rights :idjit:

Naughty Idea: Officer Miranda Right :eg:

("So I arrest this guy for suspicion of armed robbery and the moron kept going on about his crime-spree...")

Good Idea: PS238, Teen HERO

Bad Idea: Alma Mater HERO

Alma Mater 1st ed by Steve Davis, Andrew Warden (1982) Oracle Games A grossly humorous RPG about high-school students of anarchic bent at a generic high-school setting, "Central High". The cover by Erol Otus shows juvenile delinquents gathered at the front door of their high school, with drug-dealing and fornication in evidence. The inside cover is a map of Central High School. The system is skill-based. Character creation is class-based with random-roll attributes. You roll 7d10 and assign one die to each of seven attributes: Strength, Coordination, Appearance, Intelligence, Learning Drive, Courage, Willpower, and Constitution. You pick one of seven classes: Average Kid, Brain, Cheerleader, Criminal, Jock, Tough, and Loser. You then generate your social level based upon your class and a d10 roll, which in turn generates your starting money and allowance. Your age (from 13 to 17) and birthday are then generated. You get attribute increases when you turn 16, 17 and 18. You then randomly generate problems, ranging from "Moderate Acne" to phobias and so forth, with increased problems for lower Appearance. You have initial skills based on class, including high-school specific skills such as Cheating, Drinking, Studying, and Crudeness. The core book includes rules for activities ranging from drug use, animal reactions, and dealing with the contents of the chem lab to pregnancy. Players score points for Social Success (for dating, partying, etc.), Academic Success (for grades), and General Success (including miscellaneous such as successful crimes for the Criminal and Tough classes). The game includes an explicit victory condition that whoever has the most Success Points after four years of game time wins the campaign.

Good idea: Fantasy HERO

Bad (?) idea: Sexual Fantasy HERO

See my write ups on Fembots and Hyborean Dancing Girls (in their own threads.)

I think Hierax has made contributions along these lines, if I recall correctly.

Someone started a thread "Is this Android Anatomically Correct?" a long time ago.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Hero