Steampunk Star Wars (Needs Better Name)

jtelson

A long time ago, in seas far, far away...

It is a period of civil war.

Pirate ships, striking from a hidden base,

have won their first

victory against the evil British Empire.

During the battle, crewmen managed to steal

secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon,

the Defiant, an armored steamship with enough

firepower to destroy an entire city.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents,

Our heroes race home aboard their ship,

custodians of the stolen plans that

can save their people and restore

freedom to the world....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Steampunk Star Wars (Needs Better Name)

I think the Deathstar-equivalent should be more like the Steam Fortress in Steamboy though, rather than a ship. It needs to fly.

I can see some great steam powered AT-ATs in my mind's eye now - all wood, and brass scaffolding.

I think the Deathstar-equivalent should be more like the Steam Fortress in Steamboy though, rather than a ship. It needs to fly.

I can see some great steam powered AT-ATs in my mind's eye now - all wood, and brass scaffolding.

Not familiar with Steamboy but I assumed that if I ever ran this that it would be a ship in name only (That's not an Island!) and ability to fly would be a reveal. Probably one that set the heroes off on a series of adventures to get the technology for themselves as well.

That works

That´s understatement enough that it could go into the Quote of the Week thread.

Here´s what I thought of when I read that:

Two PCs are standing by the water´s edge, looking over the city.

PC1- But it´s impossible for the Imperialists to find the pirate cove, let alone bring their forces to battle! It´s too well hidden, and any search efforts get torn to pieces by hit and run tactics. They would need some sort of massive force multiplier that could outrange the pirate fortress guns....

*Massive rumbling, entire city rises into the air from the water, bristling with weapons*

PC2- That works.

It occurs to me that you could make this parallel the Nationalist Chinese overthrow of the Imperial government. Actually, that works doubly well because of all the martial arts elements in the original source, so it could be a sort of steampunk/wuxia hybrid.

Going that way, I imagine Mr. Surbrook could come up with an excellent title. :D

Wuxia is like wasabi - a little is good on a lot of things, but not everything and a lot tends to burn you out. That being said the line between Wuxia and Swashbuckling is certainly one that can be easily blurred.

Wuxia is like wasabi - a little is good on a lot of things' date=' but not everything and a lot tends to burn you out. That being said the line between Wuxia and Swashbuckling is certainly one that can be easily blurred.[/quote']

I agree. I once ran a campaign that had both elements of Wuxia and Swashbuckling.

A long time ago, in seas far, far away...

It is a period of civil war.

Pirate ships, striking from a hidden base,

have won their first

victory against the evil British Empire.

During the battle, crewmen managed to steal

secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon,

the Defiant, an armored steamship with enough

firepower to destroy an entire city.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents,

Our heroes race home aboard their ship,

custodians of the stolen plans that

can save their people and restore

freedom to the world....

damned uppity colonials :mad:

Liking Rosicrucians for my Jedi analog - although probably more like a Jedi/Spark (from Girl Genius) crossbreed - So the Rosicrucian Enlightenment becomes a period of greater technological and mystical growth (Behold the power of Steam!) and continues right up to the War of Spanish Succession when England makes it's move - seizing control of two or three continents and all but wiping out the Brotherood of the Rose Cross; They keep a few more militant types around for themselves maybe calling themselves Crimson Knights or the like (Vaders have to come from somewhere) and that gives me a very very old Francis Bacon gets to be cast as my Yoda - (Reducing Akira Kurosawa's Bacon number considerably for those playing Six Degrees of Sir Francis Bacon)

Liking Rosicrucians for my Jedi analog - although probably more like a Jedi/Spark (from Girl Genius) crossbreed - So the Rosicrucian Enlightenment becomes a period of greater technological and mystical growth (Behold the power of Steam!) and continues right up to the War of Spanish Succession when England makes it's move - seizing control of two or three continents and all but wiping out the Brotherood of the Rose Cross; They keep a few more militant types around for themselves maybe calling themselves Crimson Knights or the like (Vaders have to come from somewhere) and that gives me a very very old Francis Bacon gets to be cast as my Yoda - (Reducing Akira Kurosawa's Bacon number considerably for those playing Six Degrees of Sir Francis Bacon)

You might consider using the Jesuits as a Jedi analog. They were founded by a former knight and one of their alternate titles are the Soldiers of Christ.

You might consider using the Jesuits as a Jedi analog. They were founded by a former knight and one of their alternate titles are the Soldiers of Christ.

I thought the Jedi were Presbyterians? :confused:

Is there any reason not to have more than one Jedi analogue?

Lucius Alexander

And a digital Jedi Palindromedary

Asks the two headed beast? :D

I think that the idea of the Jedi should be limited to one - and I think I'd give the vast array of Christian sects a miss - otherwise we'd be having a range of Jedi fighting each other for the truth...

I think I would avoid using the Jesuits - Rosicrucians sound better but I might go back to the depths of Christian history to get a sect that seemed to disappear but instead has been at the heart of all religions seeking to unite into one acceptance of the true Force. Was there a steampunk James Lovelock?

Doc

Asks the two headed beast? :D

I think that the idea of the Jedi should be limited to one - and I think I'd give the vast array of Christian sects a miss - otherwise we'd be having a range of Jedi fighting each other for the truth...

I think I would avoid using the Jesuits - Rosicrucians sound better but I might go back to the depths of Christian history to get a sect that seemed to disappear but instead has been at the heart of all religions seeking to unite into one acceptance of the true Force. Was there a steampunk James Lovelock?

Doc

Maybe Mancheans or their philisophical descendants the Bogomils - As sects go they seemed pretty buffet style in their beliefs easy enough to grab and mold into whatever you need. I'm likely to stick with the Rosicrucians though - a secret society that revealed itself to help humanity advance is hard to trump.

Lucius Alexander

And a digital Jedi Palindromedary

Not particularly, other than you start to run the risk of a World of Darkness-esque environment.

So who would be the Sith? My vote would be the Spanish Inquisition, which was operated as a weapon of royal authority in Spain and independent of Rome, although it had papal approval.

In my notes from game worlds past, I once came up with the name Cardinal Synn as my Vader-esque bad guy in a Spacemaster campaign.