Acid

mayapuppies

So a character in one of my groups wishes to pick up some acid. I have it on my equipment lists as coming in three varieties: weak, standard and strong. Each purchase nets 1/2 a pint.

I never considered a character buying it, because it was so expensive...serves me right.

So now I find myself trying to figure out how many "non-recoverable charges" are in 1/2 a pint. Anyone want to through me a bone?

Re: Acid

So, acid is usually a Gradual Effect attack, right?

The different strength categories would determine how many dice per turn, and maybe how many turns the damage continues.

I'd define less than the full bottle as just a fraction of the total turns. Say if the weak acid works for 4 turns, each quarter of the bottle would only burn for one.

Lucius Alexander

This is my palindromedary on acid

Well, Im no chemist, but acid comes in many varieties, and can have differing effects.

I assume this acid is intended to be "weaponized" and proceed from there.

I would typically build acid as a drain vs BODY and COM with the fade rate cranked to effectively never. Continuous & Uncontrolled (or Continuing Charges). Sticky. The repeating effect can be stopped by nullifying / canceling the acid chemically via application of a base, or via healing magics. For a thrown flask, Range Based On Strength and Can Be Missile Deflected.

This is an effect that will have a permanent weakening affect on whatever it is used on, and also disfigurement.

This was how I originally had them built:

Acid, Weak: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6, Range Based On STR (+1/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective (One Hex; +1/4), Sticky (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (35 Active Points); 1 Charge which Never Recovers (-4), OAF Fragile (-1 1/4)

I assumed that the possibility of using them as a grenade was going to happen, the question I have is how long would Continuous be in this circumstance, or more appropriately, how long does acid stay acidic?

Well, Im no chemist, but acid comes in many varieties, and can have differing effects.

I assume this acid is intended to be "weaponized" and proceed from there.

I would typically build acid as a drain vs BODY and COM with the fade rate cranked to effectively never. Continuous & Uncontrolled (or Continuing Charges). Sticky. The repeating effect can be stopped by nullifying / canceling the acid chemically via application of a base, or via healing magics. For a thrown flask, Range Based On Strength and Can Be Missile Deflected.

This is an effect that will have a permanent weakening affect on whatever it is used on, and also disfigurement.

Now that's an interesting build, why would you go for Drain over a KA? To better represent disfigurement?

My thoughts -

The more acid you use, the longer it lasts. It doesn't do more immediate damage (unless you splash a wider area maybe) - but it will burn longer.

Also from the point of view of highschool chemistry-

Hot acid does more damage than cold acid - and doesn't last as long.

It needs to be properly stored - glass vials are not an adventurers friend in the outdoors.

This was how I originally had them built:

I assumed that the possibility of using them as a grenade was going to happen, the question I have is how long would Continuous be in this circumstance, or more appropriately, how long does acid stay acidic?

Mechanically speaking, what you have there is "Continuous" for only one phase - you need a Continuing Charge for what you're trying to do.

For something like Acid, I think Gradual Effect was created specifically for this kind of effect. And while I wouldn't have thought of it, Killer Shrike has a good idea about making a Drain that lasts so long it's effectively permanent.

The other way to do that that occurs to me, if you're using the Disabling rules, is to have extra dice of damage "only to check for Disabling."

Lucius Alexander

This is my palindromedary on acid. It doesn't have hallucinations. It becomes hallucinations.

BOD / COM drain makes sense, but the way I build acids are:

Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point, Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1), Does BODY (+1) (22 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), No STR Bonus (-1/2), Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4). 22 active, 9 real

This is a small flask or phial (call it 50 mls) of strong acid. Splash a small flask on someone/thing and it'll burn for 1 BOD every other phase unless washed off (method of canceling the uncontrolled aspect) or until it has done 6 BOD. It won't burn unreactive substances (glass, force walls, etc: that's the NND aspect).

Weaker acids are built exactly the same, except that their "extra time" is larger - generally a turn for medium acids and a minute for weak acids. For larger volumes, simply add more charges.

I'm not too fussed about the healing aspect. Inanimate objects don't heal anyway, and acid burns on tissue usually do heal unless they are massive: I speak from experience here. You could drop a COM Drain with a long fade rate if you liked (it'd add some nice flavour), but I wouldn't bother - heat/fire burns are as bad as acid burns, and I don't bother with COM drains for fire EBs/HKAs either.

cheers, Mark

Yeah' date=' that's what I wanted but for some reason my HD isn't allowing that as a choice. :confused:[/quote']

HD doesn't allow Continuing Charges unless the power is already Continuous (either by default or by using the Continuous Advantage). Or, put in another way, Continuing Charges does not change a power from being non-continuous into being Continuous.