Alternate Way to do Martial Arts

thrythlind

Instead of using the printed martial maneuvers, I've started building my martial artists through a succession of multipowers.

Such as the one in the jpg attached here (excel giving me headaches right now, can't paste from it for some reason)

In this case I used four multipowers:

a basic one for general martial arts that including running, leaping, damage resistance, knockback resistance and striking power

a unarmed grappling centric multipower

a general pole fighting multipower

a naginata specific multipower

The character in question can use the grappling and basic mutlipowers at once and the basic, pole and naginata fighting ones all at once.

Re: Alternate Way to do Martial Arts

Instead of using the printed martial maneuvers, I've started building my martial artists through a succession of multipowers.

Such as the one in the jpg attached here (excel giving me headaches right now, can't paste from it for some reason)

In this case I used four multipowers:

a basic one for general martial arts that including running, leaping, damage resistance, knockback resistance and striking power

a unarmed grappling centric multipower

a general pole fighting multipower

a naginata specific multipower

The character in question can use the grappling and basic mutlipowers at once and the basic, pole and naginata fighting ones all at once.

great the reptonfa has swung have some rep

I've been using multipowers for martial arts for years. I do allow my players to use the standard system but these days, nobody bothers - multipowers are equally efficient and far more flexible/scalable.

As a player, I far prefer to do it this way. Martial artists are a favorite archetype for me - but I now find the standard rules a bit stultifying and rather clunky.

The rules I use and conversions of all the standard maneuvers are here.

Note however, that this was written for my own use, so STR is priced at 2 per point of STR and HA at a flat 5 points per d6. It's easy enough to change, if you want, though.

cheers, Mark

The only thing martial arts do that can't be simulated with other game elements is Throw. "Grab and Throw" is not quite the same thing because it involved Grabbing first.

Change Environment can be used to simulate a Throw, because it can make a character fall down, but it has a "saving throw" (pardon the expression) in that the victim must roll on DEX to avoid it.

But except for Throw, I have not noticed anything that Martial Arts brings to the game that is specific and unique. But I'm still surprised that a group of players finds multipowers "equally efficient."

Lucius Alexander

Throwing a palindromedary

The only thing martial arts do that can't be simulated with other game elements is Throw. "Grab and Throw" is not quite the same thing because it involved Grabbing first.

Yes, but that's semantic difference, not an actual game difference. You can grab and throw as a single attack, in the rules as written. It doesn't even require an actual grab, since that's a special effect. "Shove and trip" works just as well.

cheers, Mark

heh, I don't usually make martial artists, must be why it took me so long to get to this.

Yes, I find the multipowers for MA much more akin to real-world martial arts than the official method.

Incidentally, as far as adding in pluses to OCV and DCV, have a multipower slot that grants DCV and one that grants OCV.

Marcdoc' date=' i've seen your system and like it. But I'm curios about the throw element. Do you have your players buy double knockback and declare automatic throw? Or how does that work?[/quote']

All the "opponent falls" maneuvers are built as "grab and throw" - which is a standard combat maneuver. Since grabbing someone inflicts a penalties, the maneuvers contain CSL to offset the grab penalty.

cheers, Mark