Hawaii Hero

Doctor Agenda

I'm about to play in a Champions game set in Hawaii. Anyone have gaming ideas for that part of the country? I don't have a codename or a theme for my character yet, just a background (ex-Generation Viper member in hiding). In GV he was codenamed Hooligan, but of course wants to get away from that. It's a 250-point game, he's kinda strong and can fly a little and teleport short distances and breathe water. He has some Hawaiian and fronts for a garage band. He's not planning on being a hero, but I figure when trouble comes he'll improvise a disguise from his gym bag. If someone names him based on his 'costume' he'll probably wind up being 'the Moke'.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hawaii Hero

I played a pc that was Maui. I had left it ambiguous as to whether he was named after the demingod of lore (and namesake of the charming island) or was the demigod come back from a little time in his home dimension.

He was basically a demi-brick with wrestling MA and a easy going trickster personality.

Hawaiian mythos has a certain fondness for tricksters, so you might want to think about that angle.

Heavy Japanese influence there, so plenty of chances to bring in Japanese, Korean and Chinese superhero tropes, monsters, and mythology.

Plenty of Filipinos work in Hawaii, which gives you a chance to bring in the whole Darna story cycle if you feel like it, along with the extended range of Philippine superheroes and myths.

Hawaii has a small but devoted separatist movement with a more compelling list of grievences than most; plenty of chances for plot lines around that, from domestic terrorism to Robin Hood types to a world ending event that can only be stopped by restoring the monarchy.

I was living in Hawaii when Champions first came out....one of my games was set there ...I went with the whole "gateway to the pacific" thing, Yakuza, Chinese agents, Viper, villians "on the run"...it's all good! I also used a lot of UFO's and anchient astronaut stuff, but that's just me being me...

With multiple militairy bases you could do a militairy super hero team.

have them based at bellows airforce base near Waimanalo. It's not active as a airfield anymore but is used mostly for militairy recreation and is the only place that the Marines can play amphibious invasion without running over tourists with over 2 miles of pristine beaches :thumbup:

Thanks for all the replies and links, they are very helpful! I've got the underwater flight, I'm considering Mako or Sea Eagle as names, and I'm encouraging other players to build-in Gateway to the Pacific hooks.

I also plan to pester for a base on Bellows AFB and look up Menehune

OK, so he likes spam. It's a nice bit of flavor, at least in one sense.

If he had Growth powers, he could be the Big Kahuna, if he wasn't part Hawaiian he could be Captain Haole, Wiki for a speedster, Kahuna or Tabu for a mystic, and Akamai for a genius (Int 15 and limited skills, not quite there). Good ideas for the other players, and possibly Hanai, Mako, or Sea Eagle for me.

I don't think he's actually been there, just researched it. I figure as a good player I can bring some Hawaiian feel by doing my own research.

Most of my experience comes from watching Magnum PI, and that's a little rusty. Anyone know a good movie I could rent that captures the feel?

A buddy of mine created a super-hero duo known as Surf and Turf.

Also how about Pāhoehoe or ʻAʻā, after the two types of lava floes?

How about a super-villain named Captain Cook?

Quote: "By Hook or Cook I'll certainly defeat you.":smoke:

How about Lua?

Hey, I can pronounce Lua! I didn't have enough points to be a flying bricklet and have martial arts too, but I'm thinking of having him learn some Lua techniques...and maybe remember some of his training in Viper Brawling.

I'll suggest Lua as a possible name to the group, in case someone want to make a Martial Artist specializing in it.

For his first appearance' date=' I am now considering an 'Eddie would go' t-shirt. Also thinking about the name 'Hanai'.[/quote']

I lived on Oahu for a few years. The T-shirt would be entirely appropriate. If he's a real surfer, you might want to check into popular surf spots (especially the North Shore -- Banzai Pipeline, etc.)

The name "Hanai" would be pretty unusual. Consider Kalani, Kapono, Keanu, Kenoe, Kimo, Koa, or Makana. (You'll quickly find that K is an important letter in Hawaiian...)

Definitely look into pidgin and sprinkle your speech with words and phrases like:

da kine

brah

I like try

no can

bachi bachi

akamai

choke

grinds

hapa

howzit

junk

lolo

ono

slippah

talk stink

talk story

wahine

Hang loose, brah!

A few more random thoughts...

• Zippy's -- ubiquitous, cheap fast-food. Look for their vats of chili. Found all over Oahu.
  • ABC Stores -- everywhere (I mean everywhere!) in Waikiki. They keep the tourists supplied with snacks, sunscreen, T-shirts, macadamia nuts, etc.
  • B52 flying cockroaches -- you can't miss them. Big. They like to dive bomb people.
  • Termites -- the bane of every homeowner.
  • Geckos -- everybody likes to see them. Often appear mysteriously scampering across the walls in your house.
  • Mongoose -- you'll see them dashing across the roads from time to time.
  • Breadfruit -- hanging from trees all over the place.
  • Banyan trees -- aerial roots children love to swing on.
  • Climate -- you get near constant rain in one part of the island, a desert on another. Every morning I looked out my window to see if it was raining up the volcano. Often it was raining up there and not at my apartment.
  • Tradewinds -- almost always blowing. They make summer bearable.
  • Tourists -- largely fooled into staying in Waikiki. The locals stay away from Waikiki as much as they can. The best beaches see few tourists.
  • Hula -- it's everywhere. Especially intense during the Merrie Monarch Festival. If you've only seen the nampy bampy wimpy hula most people are familiar with, check out stuff like this on YouTube.

And how can I not plug Loose Screws? An improv group I belonged to in Honolulu. Lots of comedy also available from On The Spot. While you're at it, don't forget to include Hawaii Shakespeare Festival.