Steampunk - Source Material

ghost-angel

Re: Steampunk - Source Material

I'm okay with mixing a bit of fantasy with steampunk, if it's consistent. So I'm okay with classifying Castle Falkenstein and Arcanum as steampunk. Note my complaint against the latter is that they tried to mix medieval fantasy with steampunk.

But if that doesn't sit well with you, try GURPS Steampunk and GURPS Steam-Tech.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's helping, I've got a bunch of things to watch, read and listen to.

As always, more people citing more stuff would be welcome, but I've got a decent chunk to go through as is. Some of which I hadn't gone through before, so I even get new stuff.

I'd also look a little bit into period literature to get a better picture of what went on in that era. It can help you detail the setting besides the steam tech. Even watching a Sherlock Holmes movie/TV episode can help you with the "look" of the setting.

The Difference Engine-William Gibson and Bruce Sterling

YES. An absolute Must Read book for the period. Not only does it have a good story. Not only is said story deeply immersed in the idea of steampunk - it has the language of the period enhanced for the genre, it has the history tweeked just right, the motivations tweeked right... all in all it is the best Steampunk book out there.

For a move watch Time After Time with Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells chases Jack the Ripper through time.

NetFlix online will be your best bet to quickly find all of the Victorian Era set films that might be useful. The Great Race comes to mind as set at the End of the Victorian period and containing machines.

Good luck. Sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you.

Pete

Been pondering where to post this, but this seems a likely first candidate...

Whist doing esoteric background research for my pastiche Post Apoc Steampunk setting, I stumbled across what is either a brilliant new paradigm breaking theory, or the latest and greatest collection of pseudoscientific techno-babble, but I've been finding it immensely useful for rounding out the basis of "Super science" in the setting. If they're right, then this is probably the secret Tesla took with him to his grave in the Real World.

The linked site, while having many of the usual formatting problems associated with websites made by fanatical followers of crackpot theories (Like FATAL ;) ), has links to a bunch of the interesting possible applications...

Longitudinal Scalar Waves

Been pondering where to post this, but this seems a likely first candidate...

Whist doing esoteric background research for my pastiche Post Apoc Steampunk setting, I stumbled across what is either a brilliant new paradigm breaking theory, or the latest and greatest collection of pseudoscientific techno-babble, but I've been finding it immensely useful for rounding out the basis of "Super science" in the setting. If they're right, then this is probably the secret Tesla took with him to his grave in the Real World.

The linked site, while having many of the usual formatting problems associated with websites made by fanatical followers of crackpot theories (Like FATAL ;) ), has links to a bunch of the interesting possible applications...

Longitudinal Scalar Waves

Ow. It hurts. It hurts so much.

Ow. It hurts. It hurts so much.

"Longitudinal EM energy fills vacuum of space, the time domain of spacetime, time as compressed energy, E=tc2, waves of time, phase conjugate wave pairs."

Somebody give this man a job writing for Star Trek!

• 4 months later...

One of my old buddies from school:

He's steampunk- His myspace: http://www.myspace.com/johnnypayphone

a pic gallery- http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=2673900&albumId=530448

The Edison

This is a little SP IMHO.

Howls Moving Castle, I know it's not "official," but to me it really fills the gap.

I don't think it's been mentioned Wild Wild West, either the movie or the show.

Most others have been covered.

Howls Moving Castle, I know it's not "official," but to me it really fills the gap.

I don't think it's been mentioned Wild Wild West, either the movie or the show.

Most others have been covered.

The problem - and it is a very REAL problem - here is that in the book Howl's castle was very much magical, powered by a little fire elemental.

Miyazaki butchered the book so much, and so badly, I consider it not only a total failure but a completely unwatchable movie (however pretty) and almost offensive.

I lost a lot of respect for the man upon seeing the parts of this atrocity I could stomach to watch.

I was just on a Panel at a local literary convention (Mile Hi Con) where we talked about what is and isn't Steampunk, and the history of the era and literature along with that - and every one of us (most of the panelists had way more cred than I, being actual writers and all) booed and hissed this movie to the point where the person who brought it up almost apologized.

/rant

Wild Wild West (the movie) got a lot of boos and hisses to, but really - that Mechanical Spider is about as Steampunk as you can get.

Thanks. I was hoping to get a shot with the zeppelin flying over this mansion, but either I missed it or it didn't fly there (I was on the other side of the park at the time). The airship had gone across the bay when I got to where the mansion stands. I did get to see it fly above City Hall, though.

Edit: Earlier in the day, I went to the mall and saw a bunch of antique pianos on sale. Some of them were player pianos which were playing automatically. The music was quite soothing; a few people sat nearby enjoying the music.

I also passed by Lotta's Fountain after viewing the Victorian Houses. I was on a bus and didn't have time to take a picture, but it's on my to do list.

• 4 weeks later...

No time for the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned Stardust yet?

Sky Pirates harvesting lightning? Freakin' sweet!

(It isn't a highly "steampunk" movie but definitely has some steampunk tropes. And it has Robert De Niro as a closet cross-dressing Sky Pirate. Awesome.)