Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ghost-angel

Steampunk - Source Material

Re: Steampunk - Source Material

I haven't listened to this yet at all, but I was poking around looking for the blue-plate special for Jack Flanders Drama... anywho, this is some snipets of "A Steampunk State of Mind" radio Drama from ZBS. I haven't heard it, but again, I've been pretty impressed with most things ZBS does, so I have faith.

http://www.zbs.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=65_67&products_id=402

What I wish is that there was a Hero book that was about steampunk/clockwork. I have a game I want to run with steampunk in it, but I don't want to have to convert from some other system or create it all on my own. prefab is a wonderful thing.

What I wish is that there was a Hero book that was about steampunk/clockwork. I have a game I want to run with steampunk in it' date=' but I don't want to have to convert from some other system or create it all on my own. prefab is a wonderful thing.[/quote']

For my steampunk game, I just put together the GURPS Western and Steampunk books... The stuff in those books really don't have enough crunch to make it un-manageable. All in all it was a decent source. But that's my 2 copper. I'd love to see a Hero based book myself.

What I wish is that there was a Hero book that was about steampunk/clockwork. I have a game I want to run with steampunk in it' date=' but I don't want to have to convert from some other system or create it all on my own. prefab is a wonderful thing.[/quote']

Grah! :weep:

I'm trying to come up with a few Steampunk Package Deals. So far my list of archetypes include:

1. Airship Pirate

2. Engineer/Inventor/Mad Scientist

3. Soldier/Sailor

4. Consulting Detective

5. Criminal Mastermind

Any other suggestions on what to include would help a lot.

I'm trying to come up with a few Steampunk Package Deals. So far my list of archetypes include:

1. Airship Pirate

2. Engineer/Inventor/Mad Scientist

3. Soldier/Sailor

4. Consulting Detective

5. Criminal Mastermind

Any other suggestions on what to include would help a lot.

I have a rough Girl Genius Spark Template.

Here's a rough draft of my Airship Pirate Package Deal. I started with the Pilot Package Deal from Star HERO then modified it to make it more Steampunk. I apologize for the formatting.

Airship Pirate Package Deal

Cost Ability

2 Area Knowledge: Home Area (choose) 11-

3 Combat Piloting 9+(DEX/5)

2 Navigation (Air) 9+INT/5)

2 Science Skill: Geography 11-

2 Transport Familiarity: Balloons and Dirigibles 11-

3 Weapon Familiarity: Blades and Guns

9 Choose 9 points' worth from the following list: Electronics, Interrogation, Mechanics, Stealth, Survival

Value Disadvantage

-20 Hunted 8- by the law (More powerful, NCI, capture or kill)

3 Total Cost of Package

Thanks' date=' Susano.[/quote']

It's for 5E and probably needs some revision. But works well for a basic Spark.

Edit: Actually, it's fine as is. I stress it's only for a basic Spark, after all.

An article from the local New Times, that seems to suggest more of an artistic angle for steampunk locally.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2010-10-28/news/steampunk-once-upon-a-past-that-never-was/

That's a pretty common angle in the Steampunk community, actually, but it sounds like a very groovy steam culture is building up down in those parts.

As I mentioned on the "What SF/Fantasy book have you read recently?" Thread, I just devoured Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.

Brilliant steampunk story. I like it a lot. The setting, an Alt-History Seattle devastated by a drilling machine and heavier than air volcanic gas that turns it's victims into zombies, would be perfect for a game. It's like a Steampunk version of The Big Rubble.

I just started reading "Agatha H. and the Airship City- A Girl Genius Novel" by Phil and Kaja Foglio. It's a novel (not graphic novel) of the initial storyline from "Girl Genius" and it is excellent!