Steampunk - Source Material

ghost-angel

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Steampunk - Source Material

Yeah, but burning all that steam releases a lot of carbon dioxide!

By the way, the actual numbers are rather lower. Technically. Frankly, I expected to find hydroelectric playing a larger role than it did, but the 90% figure is good for electricity generated by burning fossil fuels and nuclear heat. The catch is that natural gas is a substantial proportion of that, and much of it is burnt in gas turbines.

Yeah, but burning all that steam releases a lot of carbon dioxide!

By the way, the actual numbers are rather lower. Technically. Frankly, I expected to find hydroelectric playing a larger role than it did, but the 90% figure is good for electricity generated by burning fossil fuels and nuclear heat. The catch is that natural gas is a substantial proportion of that, and much of it is burnt in gas turbines.

Nope - about 90% of the Worlds electricity is Steam Power. The types of plants vary (Oil, Coal, Nuclear, Gas) - but they all work basically the same way: The fuel is burned, to turn water into steam which turn huge turbines and convert that to electricity. They're all External Combustion Engines, which is what Steam Power is.

Your link pretty much confirms exactly that: Fossil Fuels Burned To Make Steam To Make Electricity. Steam Powered Planet. The basic premise of a Power Plant hasn't changed in two hundred years. We've just gotten more efficient, found better fuels, and better methods of transmission with less loss.

It is an important difference, yes. Most plants are not Gas Turbine, though I can't find specific numbers. Gas Turbine Power Plants are almost always Peak Load Addition Plants, and not used for normal power production - again, I can't find specific percentages of single cycle Gas Turbine Plants vs Gas As Fossil Fuel Plant. I do know the most common use of Gas Turbine are jet engines.

Rest assured, most of the world still uses External Combustion Fuel Burning Steam Plants for electricity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first guy is a friend of mine, he was in character for the weekend as part of a live action stint from a radio show (the group that runs the con started out with just the radio show) and he's a gamer who sticks to character. I've a feeling the character wasn't sure what to make of Teh Bunneh - but then, most people aren't.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Zeppelin photo which can be used for either Steampunk or Dieselpunk adventures. This one isn't mine. It's the one I've always wanted to take, but either:

a. I'm not at the right place at the right time, or

b. I forgot my camera.

Anyway, kudos to the photographer.

Edit: In the Zeppelins thread in the Pulp HERO section, I posted a link to a calendar where the airship will be. Touring the country in an airship definitely sounds like a Steampunk adventure.