• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 6E Rules changes confirmed so far

I *think* the top three in order are

D&D

White Wolf

Steve Jackson Games

Hero Games may be fourth. As far as I know, there is not enough data in the public domain to say for sure. (Nor do I know how close SJG and DoJ are.)

Are White Wolf & SJG really top three anymore? I know White Wolf lost a lot of their customers with their new World of Darkness a few years back and I don't know that they recovered. I haven't seen much from them in print since they were purchased by the Eve Online folks.

Lately I'm hearing a lot more buzz about FFGs Warhammer RPG than GURPS.

At university, our group was about the only ones who played Hero (although one chap had Robot Warriors as he was a Giant Robot/Manga evangelist and had just about every game in the genre).

We still play Hero, now exclusively. So it has proved to have a lot of staying power.

Of all I could see in all the threads up to 8 I have to say that this is a major improvement. Some numerical values can still break it (such as AoE being +1 still, letting it have zero effect against anyone with average defenses), but the ideas work. CVs and figureds decoupled will finally make some concepts work well, such as the fighter that is not also a superhuman acrobat, or the mental power genius that actually breaks under torture or can be seduced (sorry, charmed). The trash (ex COM / Forcefield + Armor) got taken out, the new powers (Possession) look very clever.

Disadvantages? Nostalgia goggles have to come off. Backwards compatibility will be broken, at least on a cost-level. Which is irrelevant anyway for NPCs, and the handful of PCs that are around can be rebuilt easily. Hopefully costs become a measure instead of the current general guideline. See the hundreds of utterly gamebreaking builds by the usual suspects.

Area Of Effect is no longer +1.

Complication Costs are pretty much the same. They're very backwards compatible, I've translated about two dozen characters to 6E at this point without running into so much as a twitch on Complications except which ones are the Really Important Ones to keep.

Are White Wolf & SJG really top three anymore? I know White Wolf lost a lot of their customers with their new World of Darkness a few years back and I don't know that they recovered. I haven't seen much from them in print since they were purchased by the Eve Online folks.

They certainly lost me. If I wanted to play a WoD game using their new system, I'd just play D&D/D20. There's so little difference now it's a joke. :-/

Are White Wolf & SJG really top three anymore?

SJG has been making money from the Munchkin card game franchise hand over fist. It's unclear whether they get any profit at all from GURPS -- SJG remains a privately held company and only need reveal their balance sheet to the taxman.

Could well be. Like I said, I don't think there's enough data to tell for sure.

SJG has been making money from the Munchkin card game franchise hand over fist. It's unclear whether they get any profit at all from GURPS -- SJG remains a privately held company and only need reveal their balance sheet to the taxman.

Steve Jackson has been quoted as saying that without Munchkin the company would probably not have survived, suggesting that their RPGs are not highly profitable. I'd love to know what DoJ considers a "successful run", though I understand if they don't want to release such numbers.

IIRC, when WOTC was discussing sales, they indicated that 3E sold 1.3 to 1.5 million core rule books and that 4E looks likely to do at least as well: certainly the initial two printings of the 4E core sold out very rapidly.

cheers, Mark

Steve Jackson has been quoted as saying that without Munchkin the company would probably not have survived, suggesting that their RPGs are not highly profitable. I'd love to know what DoJ considers a "successful run", though I understand if they don't want to release such numbers.

IIRC, when WOTC was discussing sales, they indicated that 3E sold 1.3 to 1.5 million core rule books and that 4E looks likely to do at least as well: certainly the initial two printings of the 4E core sold out very rapidly.

cheers, Mark

Paizo was the publisher for Dragon magazine before WOTC pulled the plug on it. They are also a distributor for a lot of gaming content for various systems. When 4E came along, they decided to stick with the 3.5 OGL rule base and produced their own game and world based on it; Pathfinder is the result of that.

Since it's not WOTC, it's not technically D&D 3.6, but it's in that vein of thought. I remember looking at the beta of the rule set, which I believe is still publicly available, and thinking that it wasn't bad. There are a number of people who are not happy with 4E and have refused to move to the new system. The OGL doesn't apply to 4E, and the licenses for 4E are much more restrictive, so it seems unlikely that there will be as much 3rd party contributions for 4E as there were for 3.0/3.5.

More information is available here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG

They used to stock a lot of PDF content from previous editions of the game, but looking today I can't find that on their site... I wonder if WOTC pulled the plug on that. That's unfortunate, as there were some good prices available on some of the older content.

It's under Usable By Others.

I don't recall a full on Power call Differing Modifers, I thought it was under the Modifiers Section... I may be mistaken about that them. I really regret forgetting to copy the PDFs onto my flash drive yesterday. *sighs*

They used to stock a lot of PDF content from previous editions of the game' date=' but looking today I can't find that on their site... I wonder if WOTC pulled the plug on that. That's unfortunate, as there were some good prices available on some of the older content.[/quote']

WOTC did indeed pull the plug. Paizo had a system where once you bought a PDF you could download it from them pretty much forever if you ever lost your copy. About 4 months ago I got an email from them that they were loosing the rights to distribute WOTC PDFs & we should make sure our local copies were all in good shape before they had to pull down the appropriate files on their Website.

If you aren't a D&D player, Paizo probably isn't a blip on your radar. All they did before Pathfinder was publish the official D&D magazines and print 3.5 compatible material. Pathfinder is pretty much a way to keep doing that without having to go to 4th edition.

It is widely felt in the D&D community that Paizo's adventure content is of they very finest caliber. The lack of Paizo quality 4th edition material (including the official stuff from WOTC!) is a big negative for many who have chosen to stick to 3.5.

I see where it is in 5e now, thanks!

I'm not sure about the .pdf all I can see so far is what Hero Designer shows and it's listed under Powers, that's how it caught my eye.

Ah, yes. OK - exact same thing.

It's listed there in Hero Designer for 5E as well. It's how Dan got HD to handle Differring Modifiers - as a kind of Naked Advantage/Limitation for a UBO Power.

They used to stock a lot of PDF content from previous editions of the game' date=' but looking today I can't find that on their site... I wonder if WOTC pulled the plug on that. That's unfortunate, as there were some good prices available on some of the older content.[/quote']

Yes, they did. WOTC withdrew all their PDF products from circulation because of rampant piracy.

Anyway, I just got HD v6 and am looking forward to seeing some of the things I saw in it explained by the core rules. Like what OMCV and DMCV mean.

Buying OCV and DCV separately is a nice way to simulate characters who may not be as skilled as attacking but are nearly impossible to hit. I wonder if it's possible to simulate characters so good at avoiding attacks that they can dodge out of the way of a small Area Effect....