A Police Scanner

Cripple X

Hey folks,

I'm going to be playing in a low-powered modern day campaign pretty soon. My character is going to be a taxi driver, and I wanted his taxi-cab to have police scanner. Since I'm still pretty inexperienced with HERO, I'm not sure how to go about it. Should I used enhanced senses based-off of radio? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: A Police Scanner

On a semi-related note, how would one go about building an FAA-style transponder? The type that receives a signal from the FAA control radars and responds not just with position, but altitude, airspeed, and identification?

On a semi-related note' date=' how would one go about building an FAA-style transponder? The type that receives a signal from the FAA control radars and responds not just with position, but altitude, airspeed, and identification?[/quote']

Well, just like one of Batman's tracking bugs it's better to not try building the bugs themselves. Instead just build the device that tracks the bugs.

something like this:

14 FAA Radar: Radio Perception, Discriminatory, Analyze, Rapid: x10, Targeting, Telescopic: +10, Tracking, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (51 Active Points); OAF Bulky (Civilian Air Traffic Control Radar; -1 1/2), Limited Power Only vs. Planes with active transponders (-1) - END=0

(this is a 2 minute build so individual parts may be out of scale but it should illustrate the basic idea).

Well, just like one of Batman's tracking bugs it's better to not try building the bugs themselves. Instead just build the device that tracks the bugs.

something like this:

14 FAA Radar: Radio Perception, Discriminatory, Analyze, Rapid: x10, Targeting, Telescopic: +10, Tracking, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (51 Active Points); OAF Bulky (Civilian Air Traffic Control Radar; -1 1/2), Limited Power Only vs. Planes with active transponders (-1) - END=0

(this is a 2 minute build so individual parts may be out of scale but it should illustrate the basic idea).

That's nice... but I wanted the transponder for my flying brick. That way the FAA knows where he is and can route air traffic away from super combat zones...

Images vs. Radio group with Megascale and Only for FAA?

Hunted: FAA, All The Time, Only Watching?

I mean whether they watch him with agents in the field, or in the FAA's case via a transponder the character has isn't it pretty much the same thing? =)

Both good ideas, thanks! Have some rep! :D

How many points is having an FAA transponder on a character really worth?

(And what will a technologically-themed villain do with that information once he realizes the character has a built-in locator?)

It could be Distinctive Features, visible to limited senses.

Kristopher has a point.

If we build it like we build Tracking Devices - i.e. we buy the ability to see the planted bug, not the bug itself.

Then being bugged - or tracked - is a Disadvantage of some sort.

Distintice Feature: Visible by FAA is a better model.

Sure, occasionally the Hero can have the FAA track him to help, but the FAA system can be occasionally hacked - by the like of Cybermind for instance - or a low gritty Hero can't lie to the government "Really, the FAA system put in you norther pittsburgh that night..."