Guardian

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by JmOz

Toro is alive,

He made a number of appearences in the 90's

You may be thinking of the original android Human Torch, who came back from the dead and joined the West Coast Avengers.

But there was a mystery around Toro's death and there was a homeless man with flame powers in Power Pack at the same time that it was revealed that Katie Power's elementary school teacher was Toro's widow. But nothing ever came of it and at some point after the book's cancellation it was denied that he was Toro. Just backpedalling in my opinion.

AFAIK Toro is dead, then again I'd have to go back and look at Power Pack. Marvel seemed to backpedal a lot when it came to PP and a few other series. The Human Torch came back in Avengers West Coast #50, "lost" his powers in Namor #12 and was a secondary character in the Hero for Hire series (where his powers seemed to fade in and out from 12 on).

Also dead are a number of Hellion's from New Mutants/X-Men. Max Mercurary(sp) died in Impulse. I would say Hal Jordan but he's running around as The Spectre. There are also a number of Golden Ager's who are officially dead (Sandman and Mr. Terrific come to mind).

As for the current Hourman look in JSA 31+. I know they really start using him in the Stealing Thunder storyline (coming out as a Tpb Weds).

DC deadites:

(I'll try not repeat ones already mentioned, but I apologize if I do.)

Metamorpho- Although he was officially brought back recently, he was dead for a long time in the comics, since Grant Morrison's JLA #1

Element Lass- (I believe that was her name....) The female version of Metamorpho, she commited suicide in an issue of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman.

Lex Luthor I- How feaky would this be? Lex Luthor currently occupies a cloned body. His original body died of Kyptonite poisoning, but they saved his Brain. (See the grpahic novel "They Saved Luthor's Brain" for details.)

Jim Corrigan- The original (pre-Hal Jordan) Spectre.

Grim Reaper- Batman villain from Batman Year Two.

Mongul- He's dead, but I don't how he died. Could be a real bitch for your players if he came back as he can go toe-to-toe with Superman and comes out on top sometimes.

Lex Luthor's Bizarro- Before teh current Bizarro #1, Lex Luthor made several attempts at cloning the Man of Steel. They all died. See the Man of Steel miniseries for his first attempt.

Abin Sur- The alien GL that gave Hal his ring. Recently hung out in The Spectre as a ghost before going on to be reincarnated. He might be a bit cranky if he is pulled back to his old body.

Vigilante 1 and 2 (I believe)- Street-level superheroes.

Cerberus- Superman villain from early eighties with many heads.

Terraman (Post- crisis)- I can't remember how he died, but I think it was stopping some sort of nuclear disaster.

Hal Jordan- Gave his life to restart the sun. Current Spectre, but he's still dead, dead, dead. Of course, there's no body left.

The New God. I can't remember his name, but there is a New God that died on Earth during the original Kirby issues. You never got to see him as anything but a corpse.

Steel- I belive John Henry Irons died recently.

Dr. Fate- I don't believe the current Dr. Fate in JSA is the same Fate as the old one.

Ice- I was kind of pissed when I heard they killed her off. There's a new Ice Maiden in the DCU these days, but I don't think she has any connection to the eighties Ice.

Aztek- Died in Grant Morrison's JLA series.

Tomorrow Woman- Sentient android. Sarcificed herself to save the JLA, disobeying her programming, which was to kill them. Buried in a grveyard with other dead heroes in an early issue of Morrison's JLA (issue 11 I believe).

Conduit- I believe that was his name. A high school friend of Clark Kent's that gained the ability to shoot Kryptonite radiation and tried killing Clark/Superman. Real name was Kenny Braverman. Horrible story. Not worth reading, but he's dead and had a kinda cool costume.

Hippolyta/Wonder Woman- Died in Our World's at War. Diana/Wonder Woman's mother and a member of the JSA.

Villain that was executed in recent issue of Spectre- One of the last issues of recent Spectre had a villain that was killed in an electric chair. He was superstrong because of some mutation from an experimental drug and the chemical imbalance made him crazy.

Aquababy- Aquaman's baby son was killed by Black Manta (or Ocean Master, I can't remember which). Just a baby that breathes underwater, resurrecting Aquababy would only be good for psychological reasons. sick. Just sick.

Professor Zoom- The original Zoom is dead. The new one is an imposter. Flash villain.

Sinestro- Released from the OA battery to fight Hal Jordan when he was attacking OA, Sinestro was executed by crazy Hal. Recently appeared as a zombie Sinestro in The Spectre. Dead again.

The Extremist. Story was reprinted in "JLA: A New Beginning" A group of Heroes from an alternate world called the Extremists were attacking a Russian nuclear facility and something went wrong. One sacrificed himself to stop a nuclear meltdown. Can't remember his name, though.

Originally posted by Nuadha

The New God. I can't remember his name, but there is a New God that died on Earth during the original Kirby issues. You never got to see him as anything but a corpse.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I got the distinct impression that he was some type of water-god, from Orion's eulogy and the fact he was killed near the sea. Named Sea Grin for that and his lighthearted nature. (Who else but Jack Kirby could get away with those dreadful pun names?) :rolleyes:

Man, there are a lot of updates for me in reading this thread. Sure is hard to get a comic book character to stay dead. You'd think they were Toons. ;)

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I got the distinct impression that he was some type of water-god, from Orion's eulogy and the fact he was killed near the sea. Named Sea Grin for that and his lighthearted nature. (Who else but Jack Kirby could get away with those dreadful pun names?) :rolleyes:

That's the one!

While almost every New God that Kirby had die in his series was brought back by later writers (Steppenwolf, Kalibak and Desaad were all killed in Kirby's 11 issues), Seagrin was the only one that later writers didn't resurrect.

Dr. Fate- I don't believe the current Dr. Fate in JSA is the same Fate as the old one.

The Extremist. Story was reprinted in "JLA: A New Beginning" A group of Heroes from an alternate world called the Extremists were attacking a Russian nuclear facility and something went wrong. One sacrificed himself to stop a nuclear meltdown. Can't remember his name, though.

Fate: He's Hector Hall, the son of the golden age Hawkman & Hawkwoman. Was also the Silver Scareb during Infinity Inc. The spirits of the previous Fate's are in his amulet.

JLA: I belive the name is Wujinda or close to it. They were take off of Marvel's Avengers and he was their "Thor."

If what your trying to do is similar as they did in Avengers 11 & 12 (vol3) I'd stick with people who are dead dead. From what I remember of the story the Grim Reaper corrupted their spirits as well as their bodies. If your going for straight Zombies then use whoever you like. The Avengers defeated them by reaching to the spirit deep inside the person, pulling it "out" and getting in touch with it.

Originally posted by Peregrine

Who do I get to kill in revenge? Who wrote that atrocity?

Graduation Day #3. And the way they end it they could bring her back if they really wanted to. Personally I don't think many writers know what to do with her so they get rid of her out of hand. And yeah I know a lot of people here Byrne bash but all I can say is a: he kept her alive and b: He tried to sort the caracter out. And no, this is not an opening comment for a flame.

Originally posted by ChaosDrgn

Graduation Day #3. And the way they end it they could bring her back if they really wanted to. Personally I don't think many writers know what to do with her so they get rid of her out of hand. And yeah I know a lot of people here Byrne bash but all I can say is a: he kept her alive and b: He tried to sort the caracter out. And no, this is not an opening comment for a flame.

Damn. In case it wasn't apparent, Donna has always been one of my favorite characters. And while Byrne tried to sort her out, he made matters worse in the attempt, I think.

I'd like to see her brought back, as long as it's written well.

Byrne & Donna

Off from the original topic I know. I am Bryne fan, I freely admit it. I don't think he's the best writer or artist around he does have his moments.

I think what he was trying to do with Donna, at least near the end was take her back to a point that fans wanted her at. Diana's sister and with her own super-powers again. Before that she had been everything from adopted daughter of Titans to a DarkStar.

I can't say I enjoyed everything he did on Wonder Woman. I do see where he tried taking the characters though and give him the credit for at least atempting to do something with them. It's too easy to push a character in the background or kill him/her off just because the writer can't find the character's "voice" as easy as the others.

Originally posted by Nuadha

That's the one!

While almost every New God that Kirby had die in his series was brought back by later writers (Steppenwolf, Kalibak and Desaad were all killed in Kirby's 11 issues), Seagrin was the only one that later writers didn't resurrect.

The reason we never got #12 is that Kirby wanted to kill Orion and the Powers That Be at DC disagreed. He'd long be back by now as well.

How many times has Darkseid been dead?

Marvel is what I know best:

1. Mar_Vell

2. Thunderbird

3. Colossus

4. Swordsman I

5. Mockingbird

6. Unus the Untouchable

7. Shapechanger? Guy who dies masqurading as Prof X

8. Oddles of badies killed by Scourge

Titania I, Letha, Vamp, Enforcer, Bluestreak, Mirage, Firebrand I, others I cannot remember)

Re: Byrne & Donna

Off from the original topic I know. I am Bryne fan, I freely admit it. I don't think he's the best writer or artist around he does have his moments.

I think what he was trying to do with Donna, at least near the end was take her back to a point that fans wanted her at. Diana's sister and with her own super-powers again. Before that she had been everything from adopted daughter of Titans to a DarkStar.

I can't say I enjoyed everything he did on Wonder Woman. I do see where he tried taking the characters though and give him the credit for at least atempting to do something with them. It's too easy to push a character in the background or kill him/her off just because the writer can't find the character's "voice" as easy as the others.

The problem with John Byrne is that he can't leave things alone. He always has to reinvent or redo or retcon every character he does. Sometimes that is a good thing sometimes it isn't.

Good Example: Fantastic Four, X-men, SuperMan

Bad Example: SpiderMan Chapter One

Character that were from the above mentioned Avengers issue

ThunderStrike

HellCat, has since come back and is with the Defenders

Dr. Druid

WonderMan, since returned from the dead

Mockingbird

Swordsman

Captain Marvel

The Grim Reaper had corrupted and ressurected them and had them defeat the Avengers.

The Scarlet Witch was able to use her chaos magic to rid them of the corruption and they saved their living Avengers before going to back to being dead.

Originally posted by Blue

Iron Fist died in Powerman & Ironfist... issue 75 I think (Last issue anyway). I'm going to guess that he's since been brought back or that someone else has his powers now.

Brought back in Namor (around 16-17) and was a regular in Hero for Hire.

And the Changeling subb'd for Prof. X and was killed. They've kinda re-incarnated him as Morph though in Exiles and Age of Apocolypse.

JLA: I belive the name is Wujinda or close to it. They were take off of Marvel's Avengers and he was their "Thor."

"Wandjina"

Other possibilities:

Wildcat II (Yolanda Montoya? Montez?)

Dr. Midnite II

Adam Warlock

Hawk (Extant)

Knockout (the Good one from Hypertime)

Blockbuster

That's off the top of my head. Most of these have robably come back in some form or another.

Keith "But--but I SAW them DIE!!!" Curtis

There is still oodles of dead to add to this list.

Like all the original members of Zodiac in the Avengers.

Scourge (two different versions) in Captain America.

Angar the screamer was killed by the police so Screaming Mimi joined Thunderbirds.

I thought that in Thunderbirds as well that Baron Zemo 2 was dead.

Loki. Killed by Thor in Thor 475.

Johnny Quick is dead I believe from a Flash issue.

The Eel was killed by Viper.

Kangeroo is dead (Spiderman).

The original Hobgoblin (if it was Ned Leeds)

The original Vigilante is indeed dead but there was a cowboy one as well.

Psylocke of the X-Men is dead (and that's one I am not happy about)