"UP" pulpy bits in it

Barton

I have seen the animated movie UP, it was great. I liked the story and main characters were interesting (annoying but in a very charming kind of way).

I will not put in any spoilers, but it has some pulpy elements in it, it is not pulp but captures the explorer element which some pulp stories have, and has some very pulp like items/scenes/locations in it.

I recommend the movie as light, fun, entertainment, and of course kid friendly.

Re: "UP" pulpy bits in it

I have seen the animated movie UP, it was great. I liked the story and main characters were interesting (annoying but in a very charming kind of way).

I will not put in any spoilers, but it has some pulpy elements in it, it is not pulp but captures the explorer element which some pulp stories have, and has some very pulp like items/scenes/locations in it.

I recommend the movie as light, fun, entertainment, and of course kid friendly.

I liked it too; although I think some of the scenes might have been a bit intense for young children.

It's not a work of sheer genius like The Incredibles or Finding Nemo, but it was still fun. Even Pixar's second-tier films are considerably better than average.

The pulpiest bit, of course, needs to be spoilered:

Muntz is very much like a Howard Hughes type: a once-great adventurer who has been driven to paranoid madness by his long isolation from the human race, driven by an insane obsession with "clearing his name" -- a name that has been long since forgotten by almost everybody.

Earlier in life, Muntz may have been a hero. Now, his original arrogance has multiplied itself tenfold and he is completely out of touch with whatever humanity he originally posessed.

Up is rated PG. I doubt people in the US will ever get over the idea that "animated = for children."

And yes, while watching the film I was thinking "this could easily be a pulp adventure."

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed it. And, the best part for us pulp lovers:

They DID NOT blow up the zeppelin.

In pretty much every adventure film I can remember off-hand (except Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade), every zeppelin that has appeared on the screen has been blown up in a huge fireball. It was SO nice to see one treated with some respect and allowed to be a dramatic setting instead of an excuse to use pyrotechnics.