M:TG Characters

Michael Hopcroft

I want to use the HERO System as a creative tool here. I have this fanfiction idea about a guy in our world who is accidentally summoned to Dominatia to take part in a magic: the Gathering wizard's duel! He is told to "block" some goblins, but before the goblins can tear him apart a Serra Angel on the opposite side swoops down and rescues him.

Naturally the Angel has overcome the 'duelbond" that keeps summoned creatures obedient to their creators. She must be destoryed! So she and the guy (named Joe) become hunted refugees across the length and breadth of Dominatia. Since angels aren;t given names, Joe decides to call her "Sarah". That;s the title of the fanfic series: "Sarah the Angel".

Other characters include:

Dala: a Benalish Heroine who wasn't sent back after a lost duel and is also a fugitive. She takes an interest in Joe.

Tim: a Prodigal Sorceror sent after Sarah and Joe who decides to join forces with them for his own purposes.

Regularis: the ghost of the wizard who summoned Joe, who has decided to haunt the party.

Lady Kremenal: the wizardess who summoned Sarah for her duel with Regularis. Summonning and mana control powers up the wazoo, the ability to move mountains, and the heart of a lump of coal. Holds one heck of a grudge.

Serra: Sarah's Goddess. What can you say -- she's a goddess!

Has anyone modeled these character types for FRED yet? Would Fantasy HERO rules help?

It's actually very unlikley that the story will come to much, at least under my name. As a professional publisher myself, I have to be very careful to avoid things like cease & desist letters and trademark lawsuits. Even Fanfiction.net would not be a safe place to post these stories under my name. I've already posted one piece of fanfiction there (an anime story) that could get me in a LOT of trouble if the copyright holders ever found out about it.

And it's surprising how vigorous the creators of the Open Gaming License are about protecting their core trademarks, like Magic: the Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons.