Confused about 6th edition

I've been reading a bit here and there about 6th Edition and it sounds pretty cool. However, I am a bit confused about something and I am hoping that someone can clarify it for me. Can someone tell me what are the Basic Rulebook and the Advanced Player's Guide that are mentioned on the front page (the updates) of the website? Are they additional supplements to the 6th Edition Core Rulebook? What is the deal? Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Confused about 6th edition

The HERO System, 6th Edition: The best just got better! At GenCon 2009 Hero Games will release the Sixth Edition of the award-winning HERO System, in two books: Characters and Combat And Adventuring. Come by the 6E Discussion message forum on the Hero Games Discussion Boards to learn more and offer your opinions and suggestions about how to make the best RPG ever created even better! 2 books, full colour, hardback.

Author: Steven S. Long

Tentative Release Date: Mid-2009

The HERO System Basic Rulebook: For gamers who don’t need the full Sixth Edition rulebooks all the time, Hero Games presents the Basic Rulebook — the 6E rules boiled down to a 128-page guide. The BR strips out all the options, variants, and expanded rules discussions to present you with the absolute core of the HERO System so you can easily learn the game or find the rule you want.

Author: Steven S. Long

Tentative Release Date: Late 2009

Advanced Player's guide. Odd rules that don't need to be cluttering up the main books, but should remain in print. This will be 6e rules. May not have any internal artwork. Intended for serious rules wonks. May be at GenCon (and not having artwork makes it more likely that it will be).

Looks like pruttm generally covered things pretty well.

The BR is the 6E version of Sidekick. It's the 6E rules boiled down to about 120-140 pages of essentials that we sell for a low price. It will have black and white art.

The APG is a collection of advanced, optional, and variant rules that I think are worth having in print for 6E, but not important enough (or too lengthy, or whatever) to put into the core rulebook. It will have no art at all.

Looks like pruttm generally covered things pretty well.

The BR is the 6E version of Sidekick. It's the 6E rules boiled down to about 120-140 pages of essentials that we sell for a low price. It will have black and white art.

The APG is a collection of advanced, optional, and variant rules that I think are worth having in print for 6E, but not important enough (or too lengthy, or whatever) to put into the core rulebook. It will have no art at all.

That sounds very exciting. I do like the idea of optional rules in a separate book. Harks back to the Almanacks. Bring it on!

I think the biggest difference between the old Almanacs and the APG is that the APG is entirely focused on rules. The Almanacs were a grab-bag -- some rules, some quasi-rules, some Champions Universe update material, some FH stuff, you name it. (And I don't mean "grab-bag" pejoratively; they were fun books.) The APG is rules and nothin' but. ;)

As I've mentioned here and there, if the APG is a hit, maybe we can do APG2 (and perhaps beyond). After all, I've got 1,200 pages' worth of 6E Discussion forum posts to mine for ideas. The odds are further APGs would become increasingly "radical" and bizarre in terms of the rules options and changes discussed, but sometimes that can be fun in its own right. ;)

PLEASE let '...intended for serious rules wonks' be part of the official advertising :) I'd even get t-shirts made up!

I'd buy one, but the term "wonk" has been getting a bad reputation in Portland of late due to the Sam Adams scandal (the disgraced mayor was frequently referred to as a "policy wonk" in his earlier career as a city commissioner and as an aide to one of his predecessors, Vera Katz).

Still, it should be fun to pick it up, especially on PDF (I can always get it printed out later).

This division of the ruleset worked really well for SJG in the 4th edition of GURPS, so I see no reason not to think it'll work here. GenCon can't come fast enough -- even though I can't possibly be there. BLEEP!

The other question that should be asked:

If the Lingering advantage disappears, will it be subsumed into another power modifier or be eliminated entirely?

It won't disappear immediately, it will hang around for a while then slowly fade.

It won't disappear immediately' date=' it will hang around for a while then slowly fade.[/quote']

How slowly?

What I'm wondering about is that old bugaboo Megascale. I've always wanted a character who can logically inflict a 1d6 area-effect energy blast on everything on the planet. Buildings, people, wild animals, household pets -- everything.

Well, not really, but it sounds funny.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, so COM may make it back in, in say…APG7?

It's a joke. You people have no sense of humor.

No, I think C.L.O.W.N. is due back in APG7. COM will probably be held back for APG 11 (in honor of players who thought for years that they could have a COM of 11 for free, because the cost of the one point of COM would round down to zero...)

No' date=' I think C.L.O.W.N. is due back in APG7. COM will probably be held back for APG 11 (in honor of players who thought for years that they could have a COM of 11 for free, because the cost of the one point of COM would round down to zero...)[/quote']

What? :eek: You mean it doesn't work that way? ;)

They'll be released in the same timeframe' date=' just like with the PDF of any book. Sometimes the PDF comes out a bit earlier, sometimes a bit later, but it comes out. :hex:[/quote']

Since there's a possible delay in the delivery of the printed rulebooks by GenCon, will the pdfs be available by then?

I'm looking to buy a pdf/book combo, but I don't mind waiting on the book delivery as long as I have the pdf in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...I still don't get it. The 2nd post says at first that 6th Edition will come in two books: Characters...and Combat & Adventuring.

Then the post goes on to talk about two rulebooks: basic and advanced. So are there four books or what? How does the basic and advanced rulebooks fit with the Characters and Combat & Adventuring books? Is there a basic and advanced version of each (by each I mean Characters and Combat & Adventuring)?