"Heroes that Wreck the World"

Michael Hopcroft

This is the weekend of Anime Expo, where the major importers of Japanese and Korean animation announce many of their plans for the year and what series they've acquired North American rights to.

One series of special note is a series called World Destruction. And it is interesting in that the goal of the principal protagonist is to destroy the world.

And she's the good guy. She's one of the few people of any ability who treats people halfway decently, whether she want to or not. She gets angry, but won't murder no matter how mad she gets (kill in battle, yes, but murder no). And she possesses an orb with the Destruct Code for the planet. If she can figure out to use it, she plans to use it to destroy the world.

Her opponents, the World Salvation Committee, come across as ruthless, vicious bastards. They have no objection to practices like human sacrifice, tend to react to annoyances with automatic weapons, and make little distinction between friend and foe. With the world at stake for them, mercy is a foreign concept.

So if World Destruction was used as a game setting, the players might have some difficulty figuring out whose side to get on. Everybody seems to think the world is wearing down and getting ready to come to an end, with life getting worse and worse for people. If you had the Destruct Code and the world was in such disarray, would you have what it takes to use it?

Guest steamteck

Re: "Heroes that Wreck the World"

Um, no.

I'm a firm believer in "while there is life, there is hope".

Plus, fate and destiny are a bunch of hokum.

Count me in on that sentiment.

Um, no.

I'm a firm believer in "while there is life, there is hope".

Plus, fate and destiny are a bunch of hokum.

Likewise.

Could this destruct orb McGuffin be a hoax or a dud?

Worth considering as a plot twist. Otherwise, I really can't see the appeal in this particular series at all. Sounds like something intended for an all-Emo audience, IF they cared enough to actually go see it ....

So basically, the premise is a world that's gone so miserable that everyone would be better off dead, and the protagonist intends to perform euthanasia on a global scale?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is chewing that one over.

Well' date=' if you did use it, assuming that destroying the world would kill everybody on it (hopefully painlessly and swiftly) ... they wouldn't be able to be mad at you and you couldn't feel guilty about it, because, well, everybody's dead.[/quote']

Having a KODT moment here - Yeah, dude, think of the XP you'd get for offing the entire world!

Pretty sure they did that once, destroyed the campaign world, anticipating that the XP they would get for this deed would be enough to boost them to demi-godhood (and thus avoid destruction).

Having a KODT moment here - Yeah, dude, think of the XP you'd get for offing the entire world!

Pretty sure they did that once, destroyed the campaign world, anticipating that the XP they would get for this deed would be enough to boost them to demi-godhood (and thus avoid destruction).

I was thinking of it more from the idea of the world-blaster thinking that he's going to be wracked with insane guilt for blowing up the world ... and then realizing, "Wait, no I won't. I'll be dead. And nobody will be mad at me, because they'll all be dead." Once you get over that mental block of realizing that, after you're dead, you're not in a position to care about anything because you no longer exist ... you can do just about anything.

I'd probably team up with the girl with the Destructo-Orb with the intention of either destroying it, or convincing her not to use it.

(Hey, if a 10-year-old John Connor could show a Terminator the value of human life, this shouldn't be impossible, neh?)

Then I'd go after this World Salvation Committee to pwn their 4$$3$, 'cos they sound waaay too much like the Human Imperium from WH40K for comfort.

They did something like this in X-men. Phoenix2 decides the universe is so messed up because of the Beyonder and his utterly '80's dress sense that she decides to end it all. Then she mentally touches a bunch of folks and decides that maybe murdering every single person in the universe isn't such a great idea and backs off .... Girl had issues, I'm telling you.

As for the series ... could be interesting. On one side you have a decent person who's about to make a terrible, terrible mistake and on the other side a bunch of total b*****s who want to stop her. The last anime series I really enjoyed (Darker than Black) had a cast line up of mostly casual killers, but it was till an interesting series. They even had a relatively sympathetic character who had murdered hundreds and maintained her power by drinking the blood of babies!

Of course, she was sympathetic because she had lost her power and didn't want it back

cheers, Mark

Well, one concept I've seen in other series is that "destruction" results in a new, different rebirth. It's the Buddhist idea of reincarnation applied on a global scale. The idea seems to be if you "reboot" the universe, the next universe will be a better one -- and most of the people will get another chance to be part of that universe.

The world of World Destruction is described in several places as on its way to an end. Sand covers everything in place of ocean -- obviously there's some sort of magic at work, otherwise the planet shouldn't be able to support life at all. The Destruct Code is much sought after by a variety of people, whether or not they want to use it.

A "heroic" character whose goal is to eliminate the human race, and those who oppose this "hero" are portrayed as the worst kind of scum.

Nope; no propaganda here...

where the heck would the PC' GO/ sounds like the point is to commit suicide?than game should've gone into the circular file