Announcing Kazei 5, Second Edition

Susano

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Announcing Kazei 5, Second Edition

Quick question/potential errata. On page 129 of the PDF (downloaded about a month ago), the vehicle chart, the SPD column lists things like 434 m, the move column lists the non-combat multiple. It looks like the first digit of the number in the speed column is the SPD, while the second two digits are the combat move and should be in the Move column with the multiplier. Finally, the pluses in the Notes column (+1 GM, +3 AM, etc.) movement skill levels, right? It's not really clear from the Key on page 128.

With that out of the way, the book is gorgeous, the setting is awesome, and my group really enjoyed their character building/intro combat session yesterday! At least two of them are buying copies.

So how were the Gen Con sales of the book? Any amusing stories related to K5 that happened?

I ran an original adventure for Kazei 5 on Saturday evening: Welcome to the Zero Zone, Now Get Out! The PC's entered the Zero Zone, survived an encounter with the 'Triple Puma Threat' (they wanted to buy one of the PC's), took out about half a street gang, destroyed a hunter-killer cyberdroid, hijacked the WFZZ mobile studio (a modified greyhound bus), attended a meeting at the Living End night club, then escaped from the 'Zone after taking out a squad of Jinsei 'Wolf Brigade powered armor troops, and bumping off their employer.

I was entertained -- if any of the players want to post their impressions on this thread, that would be a good thing.

Don't look at me,

Xavier Onassiss

Well' date=' maybe a lot of people bought it before GenCon. That seems low for GenCon sales. Did you get many comments?[/quote']

I'm not privy to the exact sales numbers. I do know that around 30? Hurm... a lot sold at Dundracon when it first debuted. Also, some of the signings were of copies bought before GenCon.

re: Comments: Mike Satran called it "brillant." Uhm... other board notables who's names I can't recall really liked it, and one said he loved how I handled cyberhacking and decking. Several people noted that their gaming groups aren't into anime, but that's okay, the book is packed with enough goodies it doesn't matter. Some also intend to show their copies around back home and get their friends to grab a copy.

So how were the Gen Con sales of the book? Any amusing stories related to K5 that happened?

When the show started, we didn't have a lot of them on hand -- maybe 5 or 6. I only brought a few with me, since I thought that we had more "leftovers" from Origins (that were boxed and shipped directly from Origins to GenCon). So when we sold out of that short stack the first morning, I got in touch with my warehouse to have them ship some more boxes. They got there just in time for the Saturday signing (okay, actually a couple of minutes after the signing started).

They would have been there sooner, but the warehouse had trouble finding them. I've known about this for a while, but the warehouse apparently didn't realize their mistake. Instead of labeling the boxes as "Kazei 5," they labeled them as "Hazel 5."

Quick question/potential errata. On page 129 of the PDF (downloaded about a month ago), the vehicle chart, the SPD column lists things like 434 m, the move column lists the non-combat multiple. It looks like the first digit of the number in the speed column is the SPD, while the second two digits are the combat move and should be in the Move column with the multiplier. Finally, the pluses in the Notes column (+1 GM, +3 AM, etc.) movement skill levels, right? It's not really clear from the Key on page 128.

With that out of the way, the book is gorgeous, the setting is awesome, and my group really enjoyed their character building/intro combat session yesterday! At least two of them are buying copies.

Let me look over the chart and I can see about making a file, exporting as a PDF and sending it over to you. PM or email me directly to remind me.

*Sigh* So I get my copy of Kazei5 back from the illicit borrower, and low and behold, it's got missing and mangled pages now, actually had spaghetti stuck in places like a book mark, not to mention the sauce stains, what looks like, various other drippings, and tons of eraser holes in it where various doodles were supposedly erased from view......Still though, I have to say that it held itself 99% together under that assault, so pretty tough for a soft back.

In short, they borrowed it, and the kids got to it, and now they are "sorry", but it's just a book, and they're just kids.....Hence, my hatred of all things "liberal" and under 4 feet in height grows more.

I swear, I hate Modern parenting....anyway, off to buy a new copy, since it's good enough that one must have a solid good copy of it around instead of one that looks like it was Eaten by a Dingo then pieced pack together by H.R. Puff'N'Stuff...

~Rex

Who'd you lend it to? Bluto from Animal House?

Anyway, liberal I may be, but I'd still A) remind them that's it's "just" a $40.00 book, and B) demand that they pay for a new one.

I respect my books and never treat them like that, which is why I'm really, really loath to lend any out.

Oh, and did they like it? Or did they even read it?

They didn't ask to borrow it, they just assumed they could. However, it DID get rave reviews, and the demand to start a game of it has started just not sure where I can squeeze it in because there are (part of the group of people has the KIDS infection which normally is cool if treated with DISCIPLINE, but these infected folk are part of the new age, Negotiate and Ignore template.....)...

Hence, why I never loan them a book, EVER. And they are paying for it, otherwise, this being the scrounge money for Rent Week, I'd have to put it off till next month. Besides, the FLGS 50 miles away, has ONE copy of it left. They sold out and had to order more, but this one was a return from someone that accidentally bought 2, so, I think I used up my years ration of good luck on a game book, heh.

~Rex

*Sigh* So I get my copy of Kazei5 back from the illicit borrower, and low and behold, it's got missing and mangled pages now, actually had spaghetti stuck in places like a book mark, not to mention the sauce stains, what looks like, various other drippings, and tons of eraser holes in it where various doodles were supposedly erased from view......Still though, I have to say that it held itself 99% together under that assault, so pretty tough for a soft back.

In short, they borrowed it, and the kids got to it, and now they are "sorry", but it's just a book, and they're just kids.....Hence, my hatred of all things "liberal" and under 4 feet in height grows more.

I swear, I hate Modern parenting....anyway, off to buy a new copy, since it's good enough that one must have a solid good copy of it around instead of one that looks like it was Eaten by a Dingo then pieced pack together by H.R. Puff'N'Stuff...

~Rex

That's got nothing to do with being Liberal. It has to do with taking responsibility for one's actions (even buying a friend a new copy of a book that was damaged while being borrowed). There's lots of bad parenting and lack of personal responsibility on both liberal and conservative sides. (Oh and if you want to discuss this we should do it elsewhere, and not muck up the Kazei 5 thread with our NGD discusstions. I will be happy to discuss it, just not in this particular thread.)

That's got nothing to do with being Liberal. It has to do with taking responsibility for one's actions (even buying a friend a new copy of a book that was damaged while being borrowed). There's lots of bad parenting and lack of personal responsibility on both liberal and conservative sides. (Oh and if you want to discuss this we should do it elsewhere' date=' and not muck up the Kazei 5 thread with our NGD discusstions. I will be happy to discuss it, just not in this particular thread.)[/quote']

Don't you understand? The borrowing of the book without permission and then leaving it where the toddlers could damage it was a blatantly obvious liberal political statement, aimed directly at Rex Mundi! [/sarcasm]

a blatantly obvious liberal political statement

I find this underhanded means of spreading the gospel of FSM to be distateful. Thankfully, in the timeline of 2030 Kazei 5, he was sealed inside the brain of an AI that had cybernetically absorbed esper consciousness, then the program was sent into an endless loop by a rogue operative of Vatican, Incorporated as part of the Chthulhu-Mecha Wars.

Don't you understand? The borrowing of the book without permission and then leaving it where the toddlers could damage it was a blatantly obvious liberal political statement' date=' aimed directly at Rex Mundi! [/sarcasm']

No....not really, like Tasha said it's just inconsiderate. The Obama bumper sticker stuck to the back cover of it, and the PETA stamps stuck all over the inside of it on the other hand, are, and I suppose the Trader Joe's bought Organic sauce and spaghetti noodles could be construed as hippie-ish.... :D....hmmm and getting a lecture from the little brats that did it because I wasted Trees buying a book.......crosses a line.

Still...I know...out there....watching.....probably disguised as a garden gnome.......is a hippy on my lawn! My book shall be avenged with proper right wing conspiracy member diligence! Or something like that once i get the hose and the dogs and take care of those encroaching lawn gnomes. :D

~Rex

I find this underhanded means of spreading the gospel of FSM to be distateful. Thankfully' date=' in the timeline of 2030 Kazei 5, he was sealed inside the brain of an AI that had cybernetically absorbed esper consciousness, then the program was sent into an endless loop by a rogue operative of Vatican, Incorporated as part of the Chthulhu-Mecha Wars.[/quote']

Hmm....I would say; Possibilities abound.

~Rex