Harry Potter Characters

Kal'El Wayne

Just realised that this should be in here, not Champions' Thread.

Has anyone got writeups or advice for writing up Harry Potter characters? In particular, these characters and in this order:

1.) Luna Lovegood (Because the player is already here.)

Joint 2.) Hermione Grange & Ginevra 'Ginny' Weasley (Because these players are on holiday for a few days)

4.) Bellatrix Lestrange (Because she will be a plot device NPC for the first few appearances, so she won't need many stats for a while.)

Because I'm running a campaign for three people, and the basic plot is: All the remaining Horcruxes are being hidden in far corners of the world, and so groups of people from the DA club are being sent after them, since there is only one Deatheater per Horcrux, and the Order of the Pheonix is busy battling the main Deatheater army.

Re: Harry Potter Characters

I haven't done a lot of thought about building an ongoing campaign with the HP characters, but here's a sheet I did for Hermione a while back, in case it's useful. This presents Hermione between book two and book three. It was written for a novice player, hence all the explanatory notes. "Hermione Granger" created by J.K. Rowling, character sheet by Derek Hiemforth

[b]Hermione Granger - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
5    STR     -5   5      10-       HTH Damage 1d6  END [1]
11    DEX     3   11      11-       OCV 4 DCV 4
10    CON     0   10      11-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
23    INT     13   23      14-       PER Roll 14-
15    EGO     10   15      12-       ECV: 5
13    PRE     3   13      12-       PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6
12    COM     1   12      11-
2    PD      1   2             2 PD (0 rPD)
2    ED      0   2             2 ED (0 rED)
3    SPD     9   3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
3    REC     0   3
20    END     0   20
20    STUN    2   20
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
1    LEAP     0   1"                1" forward, 0 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 37[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
Spells Hermione Knows, all slots OAF (Wand; -1), Requires A Skill Roll  (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) - END=
9     1)  [b][i]Alohomora![/i][/b]: Lockpicking 20- - END=
5     2)  [b][i]Lumos![/i][/b]: Sight Group Images 1" radius, +4 to PER Rolls; Only to Produce Light (-1), No Range (the light emits from the tip of the wand; -1/2) - END=2
4     3)  [b][i]Wingardium Leviosa![/i][/b]: Telekinesis (10 STR); Only To Make Things Float (-1) - END=1
5     4)  [b][i]Reparo![/i][/b]: Healing BODY 2d6; Can Only Fix Inanimate Objects, Not Heal Living Things (-1) - END=2
5     5)  [b][i]Aparecium![/i][/b]: Dispel Invisibility 8d6; Only vs. Ink (-2) - END=2
13     6)  [b][i]Bluebell Flames[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 8d6; Limited Range (-1/4) [Notes: Small, portable flames that can be carried in a jar, sent out a short distance, then returned to the jar.] - END=4
7     7)  [b][i]Expelliarmus![/i][/b]: Telekinesis (20 STR); Only To Disarm Opponent (-1), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) - END=3
13     8)  [b][i]Finite Incantatem![/i][/b]: Dispel Magic 10d6, any Magic power one at a time (+1/4) - END=4
1     9)  [b][i]Flashing Paint Charm[/i][/b]: Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (Paint into Flashing Paint); Limited Target (Paint) (-1) - END=1
5     10) [b][i]Impervius![/i][/b]: Cosmetic Transform 3d6 (Anything into Itself, But Repels Water) - END=1
15     11) [b][i]Petrificus Totalis![/i][/b]: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Takes No Damage From Physical Attacks (+1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) - END=4
15     [b][i]Wizard-Kind[/i][/b]: Armor (10 PD/10 ED); Only Protects Against Mundane Sources of Damage (-1) [Notes: Wizards and witches have some kind of supernatural resistance to "normal" kinds of harm.  For example, Hagrid seems downright offended at the suggestion that Lily and James Potter could have died in a car crash, Neville survived a fall from a high window, Harry emerged unscathed from various misadventures with Dudley's gang, Quidditch players routinely survive horrific falls, and so on.  The Armor Power simulates this extra protection against non-magical damage.  It's not specific to Hermione... all witches and wizards would have this ability.] - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 97[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
5      KS: General Wizarding Stuff 16-
3      KS: Hogwarts and Its History 14-
4      PS: Research 15-
9      Power:  Magic 17- [Notes: This Skill represents Hermione's mastery of spell casting... the higher the roll is for a witch or wizard's "Power: Magic" Skill, the better they are at casting spells (they can cast more difficult spells successfully, and so on).  A 17- roll in this Skill is extraordinarily high for an incoming third-year, befitting Hermione's standing as "the cleverest witch of her age!"]
3      Stealth 11- [Notes: Hermione does lots of sneaking around Hogwarts without getting caught!  Stealth is the Skill for moving around without being seen or heard.]

[b]SKILLS Cost: 24[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
1      Contact:  Professor Minerva McGonagall 8- [Notes: This Perk indicates that Hermione seems to enjoy a certain standing with Professor McGonagall, and might be able to call on her for unusual assistance occasionally (not extremely often however... hence the low roll).  For example, McGonagall goes out on a limb to get a Time-Turner for Hermione, which she certainly wouldn't do for just *any* student.]

[b]PERKS Cost: 1[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
2      Eidetic Memory; Merely Outstanding Recall (-1) [Notes: This Talent represents Hermione's remarkably good memory.  Eidetic Memory normally grants near-photographic total recall, and Hermione doesn't really have *that* kind of memory... her memory is "just" much, much better than most people's.  Therefore, it gets a Limited Power Limitation, "Merely Outstanding Recall," to show that Hermione's "Eidetic Memory" isn't as good as "real" Eidetic Memory.]
4      Speed Reading (x10) [Notes: Given how many books Hermione devours compared to other students -- she's even read "Hogwarts: A History! -- she obviously must be able to read much faster than the average person.  The Speed Reading Talent means Hermione can read up to 10 times faster than normal.]

[b]TALENTS Cost: 6[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Dependent NPC:  Harry Potter 14- (As powerful as the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills) [Notes: Harry is not "dependent" on Hermione in the sense one might normally associate with a Dependent Non-Player Character, but his relationship with Hermione seems to fit for at least a small Disadvantage.  He relies heavily on Hermione's encyclopedic knowledge of magic, and Hermione definitely acts to protect him... even when he doesn't really need her protection, or when doing so endangers her.]
10     Hunted:  Enemies of Harry Potter 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Know-It-All (Very Common, Moderate)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Crusader Mentality (Common, Strong)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Fear of Failure (Uncommon, Strong)
5     Psychological Limitation:  Secretly in Love with Ron (Uncommon, Moderate)
15     Social Limitation:  Under-Age (Frequently, Major)
10     Social Limitation:  Gryffindor (Very Frequently, Minor, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
5     Unluck: 1d6

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 90[/b]

Base Pts: 75
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 165

I would like to see a writeup of all the HP spells, actually.

Is there a listing someone could point me at of those in the books?

[edit]

One thing I have noticed is that adults frequently do not need to use incantations (I imagine they bought off the limitation).

There also seems to be fairly generic defensive spells or gestures, and most of the powers rely on timing. Otherwise the first Avada Cadavera would get through and there would be no duelling.

Speaking of which - that is a spell that needs to be almost absolute - I believe it works on everything except the undead and possibly very large creatures.

I haven't done a lot of thought about building an ongoing campaign with the HP characters, but here's a sheet I did for Hermione a while back, in case it's useful. This presents Hermione between book two and book three. It was written for a novice player, hence all the explanatory notes. "Hermione Granger" created by J.K. Rowling, character sheet by Derek Hiemforth

[b]Hermione Granger - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
5    STR     -5   5      10-       HTH Damage 1d6  END [1]
11    DEX     3   11      11-       OCV 4 DCV 4
10    CON     0   10      11-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
23    INT     13   23      14-       PER Roll 14-
15    EGO     10   15      12-       ECV: 5
13    PRE     3   13      12-       PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6
12    COM     1   12      11-
2    PD      1   2             2 PD (0 rPD)
2    ED      0   2             2 ED (0 rED)
3    SPD     9   3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
3    REC     0   3
20    END     0   20
20    STUN    2   20
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
1    LEAP     0   1"                1" forward, 0 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 37[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
Spells Hermione Knows, all slots OAF (Wand; -1), Requires A Skill Roll  (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) - END=
9     1)  [b][i]Alohomora![/i][/b]: Lockpicking 20- - END=
5     2)  [b][i]Lumos![/i][/b]: Sight Group Images 1" radius, +4 to PER Rolls; Only to Produce Light (-1), No Range (the light emits from the tip of the wand; -1/2) - END=2
4     3)  [b][i]Wingardium Leviosa![/i][/b]: Telekinesis (10 STR); Only To Make Things Float (-1) - END=1
5     4)  [b][i]Reparo![/i][/b]: Healing BODY 2d6; Can Only Fix Inanimate Objects, Not Heal Living Things (-1) - END=2
5     5)  [b][i]Aparecium![/i][/b]: Dispel Invisibility 8d6; Only vs. Ink (-2) - END=2
13     6)  [b][i]Bluebell Flames[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 8d6; Limited Range (-1/4) [Notes: Small, portable flames that can be carried in a jar, sent out a short distance, then returned to the jar.] - END=4
7     7)  [b][i]Expelliarmus![/i][/b]: Telekinesis (20 STR); Only To Disarm Opponent (-1), Affects Whole Object (-1/4) - END=3
13     8)  [b][i]Finite Incantatem![/i][/b]: Dispel Magic 10d6, any Magic power one at a time (+1/4) - END=4
1     9)  [b][i]Flashing Paint Charm[/i][/b]: Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (Paint into Flashing Paint); Limited Target (Paint) (-1) - END=1
5     10) [b][i]Impervius![/i][/b]: Cosmetic Transform 3d6 (Anything into Itself, But Repels Water) - END=1
15     11) [b][i]Petrificus Totalis![/i][/b]: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Takes No Damage From Physical Attacks (+1/4), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), Range Modifiers Apply (-1/4); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) - END=4
15     [b][i]Wizard-Kind[/i][/b]: Armor (10 PD/10 ED); Only Protects Against Mundane Sources of Damage (-1) [Notes: Wizards and witches have some kind of supernatural resistance to "normal" kinds of harm.  For example, Hagrid seems downright offended at the suggestion that Lily and James Potter could have died in a car crash, Neville survived a fall from a high window, Harry emerged unscathed from various misadventures with Dudley's gang, Quidditch players routinely survive horrific falls, and so on.  The Armor Power simulates this extra protection against non-magical damage.  It's not specific to Hermione... all witches and wizards would have this ability.] - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 97[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
5      KS: General Wizarding Stuff 16-
3      KS: Hogwarts and Its History 14-
4      PS: Research 15-
9      Power:  Magic 17- [Notes: This Skill represents Hermione's mastery of spell casting... the higher the roll is for a witch or wizard's "Power: Magic" Skill, the better they are at casting spells (they can cast more difficult spells successfully, and so on).  A 17- roll in this Skill is extraordinarily high for an incoming third-year, befitting Hermione's standing as "the cleverest witch of her age!"]
3      Stealth 11- [Notes: Hermione does lots of sneaking around Hogwarts without getting caught!  Stealth is the Skill for moving around without being seen or heard.]

[b]SKILLS Cost: 24[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
1      Contact:  Professor Minerva McGonagall 8- [Notes: This Perk indicates that Hermione seems to enjoy a certain standing with Professor McGonagall, and might be able to call on her for unusual assistance occasionally (not extremely often however... hence the low roll).  For example, McGonagall goes out on a limb to get a Time-Turner for Hermione, which she certainly wouldn't do for just *any* student.]

[b]PERKS Cost: 1[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
2      Eidetic Memory; Merely Outstanding Recall (-1) [Notes: This Talent represents Hermione's remarkably good memory.  Eidetic Memory normally grants near-photographic total recall, and Hermione doesn't really have *that* kind of memory... her memory is "just" much, much better than most people's.  Therefore, it gets a Limited Power Limitation, "Merely Outstanding Recall," to show that Hermione's "Eidetic Memory" isn't as good as "real" Eidetic Memory.]
4      Speed Reading (x10) [Notes: Given how many books Hermione devours compared to other students -- she's even read "Hogwarts: A History! -- she obviously must be able to read much faster than the average person.  The Speed Reading Talent means Hermione can read up to 10 times faster than normal.]

[b]TALENTS Cost: 6[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Dependent NPC:  Harry Potter 14- (As powerful as the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills) [Notes: Harry is not "dependent" on Hermione in the sense one might normally associate with a Dependent Non-Player Character, but his relationship with Hermione seems to fit for at least a small Disadvantage.  He relies heavily on Hermione's encyclopedic knowledge of magic, and Hermione definitely acts to protect him... even when he doesn't really need her protection, or when doing so endangers her.]
10     Hunted:  Enemies of Harry Potter 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Know-It-All (Very Common, Moderate)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Crusader Mentality (Common, Strong)
10     Psychological Limitation:  Fear of Failure (Uncommon, Strong)
5     Psychological Limitation:  Secretly in Love with Ron (Uncommon, Moderate)
15     Social Limitation:  Under-Age (Frequently, Major)
10     Social Limitation:  Gryffindor (Very Frequently, Minor, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)
5     Unluck: 1d6

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 90[/b]

Base Pts: 75
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 165

very good

So I've been talking to the player who isn't on holiday, and the idea that came up is for a kind of 'Adventure of the week' game. The characters travel from one country to another, looking for the Horcrux, trying to find it before Bellatrix Lestrange does. Along the way, they will fight of a variety of nasty wizards, and help a bunch of interesting NPCs. When I emailed the other players (on holiday right now) they said that this sounded great. Which is good, because I don't need to stretch the incredibly thin plot of 'go here, get the horcrux, destroy it'. But I do need some help with thinking up plots. Here are a few that the players suggested, which I will post one at a time, as I adapt their rough ideas into something that fits the broad plot I had in mind.

Good Journey! (The Pilot) - Our trio are given a task by Dumbledore, and sent to a small village in England, where Voldemort's ancestors used to own a castle, now in ruins. The Horcrux is believed to be a museum piece here, taken from the castle during an archaelogical survey. The piece is stolen, while the trio are reporting in to the local Auror. The thief leaves a calling card, identifying this as the work of the 'Black Dragon', a master thief who steal magical items that are on public display before muggles. Someone traces the item magically, and finds it is in Norway, at the home of a powerful pureblood wizard who collects rare magical artifacts.

I'll need to stat a generic Auror, as a template.

The attributes for a generic Auror. The rPD/rED haven't cost anything because they come from the Armour Power, which I will list later, with spells etc.

Str 13

Dex 13

Con 13

Body 15

Int 13

Ego 14

Pre 15

Com 10

46 points

PD 13 (rPD 10)

ED 13 (rED 10)

Speed 3

Recovery 6

Endurance 26

Stun 29

10 points

Running 6”

Swimming 2”

Good? Bad? Not Ugly Enough?

Aurors hunt dark wizards. During the time of Voldemort, these were almost exclusively "Death Eaters" - the cult of Voldemort.

They're highly skilled in defensive magic against dark magic.

And often they're permanently damaged by their jobs.

My take on the Accio spell:

6 Accio - Basic: Summon 100-point Anything that exists (20 Active Points); OAF (Wand; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Item must exist (-1/4)

7 Accio - Quiet: Summon 100-point Anything that exists (20 Active Points); OAF (Wand; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Item must exist (-1/4)

7 Accio - Skilled: Summon 100-point Anything that exists (20 Active Points); OAF (Wand; -1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Item must exist (-1/4)

7 Accio - Very Skilled: Summon 100-point Anything that exists, Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; +0) (20 Active Points); OAF (Wand; -1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Item must exist (-1/4)

Protego:

7 Protego - Basic: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED) (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

7 Protego - Quiet: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED) (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

10 Protego - Mental Defense: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED/10 Mental Defense) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

7 Protego - Skilled: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED) (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4)

8 Protego - Very Skilled: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; +0) (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

I put the RSR in there as it gives a chance for the spell to fail, which does happen.

Rather than buying spells individually, I would do it as a single VPP controlled by multiple power skills. So the character would have to make a roll against their curse skill for most offensive powers, a Transformation skill role to change an item into something else, a Charm roll to give something a magical property, etc.

Alternately, the VPP could be based on spells bought as 1 point familiarities. So Accio would be one familiarity and Reparo. This would make the characters less versatile than the skill based VPP but more reliable since if they have the 1 point skill, their wand, and time to make the incantation they automatically succeed at the spell.

I prefer these VPP solutions because Hogwarts students learn new spells all the time, and I don't see where they are getting 6 or 7 xp to pay for each one.

I agree with Ranxerox on the VPP. I just wrote up the individual spells as an example.

Not sure I would agree with the MP, as in the books the wizards have multiple spells at once. I know that is possible, but you run into that MP cap quickly.

Just my opinion.

dumb question why not buy the spells as a multipower?for multiple kinds of spells otherwise theVPP idea is workable

*shrug* An MP would be fine too.

I just went with VPP as a personal preference thing. Since spells are things you learn in the Potterverse, I wanted to tie them to the skill system. This made them good candidates for VPP to me since VPP are usually based on skill rolls. However, you can also make MP which all the slots have a Requires Skill Roll limitation so this isn't that big of an issue.

Also, VPPs tend to be cost effective versus MPs of ten or more slots and I see full grown wizards in the Potterverse as knowing a lot of spells (just mostly ones not related to combat). However, since the MP would entitled to several limitations against it pool cost, this would likely be one of the those occasions the MP remained more cost effective even with a large number of slots.

So, I guess you can just chalk it up to me liking VPP.

My take on the Accio spell:

6 Accio - Basic: Summon 100-point Anything that exists (20 Active Points); OAF (Wand; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Item must exist (-1/4)

7 Accio - Quiet: Summon 100-point Anything that exists (20 Active Points); OAF (Wand; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Item must exist (-1/4)

7 Accio - Skilled: Summon 100-point Anything that exists (20 Active Points); OAF (Wand; -1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Item must exist (-1/4)

7 Accio - Very Skilled: Summon 100-point Anything that exists, Requires A Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; +0) (20 Active Points); OAF (Wand; -1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Item must exist (-1/4)

I put the RSR in there as it gives a chance for the spell to fail, which does happen.

Not to show my utter Harry Potter geekitude, but Accio just drags something from one place to another. It looks impressive in Goblet of Fire, because Harry summons a broom all the way from Hogwarts to where they are holding the challenge -- and that's supposed to be a very long way -- but in the end, Accio is just a "come here" spell, and should usually be done with TK.

Now for impressiveness, you could throw some Megascale Range on it, and some way to target things where you know the location, but aren't actually looking at it it right now -- "I know my Firebolt is on its hooks by my bed, but that's about a mile away..."

Not to show my utter Harry Potter geekitude' date=' but [i']Accio[/i] just drags something from one place to another. It looks impressive in Goblet of Fire, because Harry summons a broom all the way from Hogwarts to where they are holding the challenge -- and that's supposed to be a very long way -- but in the end, Accio is just a "come here" spell, and should usually be done with TK.

Now for impressiveness, you could throw some Megascale Range on it, and some way to target things where you know the location, but aren't actually looking at it it right now -- "I know my Firebolt is on its hooks by my bed, but that's about a mile away..."

I'm not familiar with the spell (only seen the movies, never read the books) but how's this?

Accio (list), all slots OAF (Wand; -1), Requires A Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

1 1) Teleportation 1", Usable As Attack (+1), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4) (6 Active Points); Limited Power Only to bring personal items to character (-1), Can Only Teleport From Floating Fixed Locations (-1/2) - END=1

8 2) Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (5 Locations) (25 Active Points) - END=0

I like the Teleport use. I would also say Mega scale as an option would work as well. In the book it is rarely used over long distances, with Goblet of Fire being the only exception that I know of.

BTW, Hyper-Man, I have almost all of the spells done and very simple write up of the Potterverse in Hero. Am thinking about a play-test. Hint, hint.

PS: No, I will not post it yet.