Lifetime Subscription

Steve

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lifetime Subscription

If you pre-order you can get into the open beta and thereby get a chance to see the game before making that kind of a decision. Lifetime subscriptions are very much a gamble, though. You could wind up with a game that lasts at least 2 years and you are interested and more-or-less happy with the quality for the full duration... or you could wind up with Hellgate:London.

If you pre-order you can get into the open beta and thereby get a chance to see the game before making that kind of a decision. Lifetime subscriptions are very much a gamble' date=' though. You could wind up with a game that lasts at least 2 years and you are interested and more-or-less happy with the quality for the full duration... or you could wind up with Hellgate:London.[/quote']

And based on a thread (somewhere else), isn't the person responsible for Hellgate:London involved with Champions Online?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

He is, though he is not the CEO as he was with Hellgate:London. Instead he's been brought on to help tighten things up, which is what he did at Blizzard before trying his hand as the big cheese of his own shop. At least he'll be able to give some perspective regarding what NOT to do. ;)

He is' date=' though he is not the CEO as he was with Hellgate:London. Instead he's been brought on to help tighten things up, which is what he did at Blizzard before trying his hand as the big cheese of his own shop. At least he'll be able to give some perspective regarding what NOT to do. ;)[/quote']

That's cool as long as he learns from his mistakes.

I'm fairly sure at this point that I'm going to get a lifetime subscription. The in game additions and real world additions sound nice. The only real gamble for me is if the game folds in less than two years. I think it will survive at least that long.

I'm fairly sure at this point that I'm going to get a lifetime subscription. The in game additions and real world additions sound nice. The only real gamble for me is if the game folds in less than two years. I think it will survive at least that long.

What's the monthly fee?

So in practical terms.. so long as the game lasts 14 months the lifetime sub comes out ahead.

Well, that's what I keep thinking...but it's $200!

$200 is a big number. It's so much easier to scrape together the $15 a month. I imagine I'll stick with it at least for 14 months...but $200 is a lot to dish out all at once.

The $10 a month won't last. But the 6-month subscriptions will probably continue to be available at a discount... just not that much of a discount.

For me $200 is a big number, not so much in and of itself, but because there's not much chance to get to know the game before making the decision and because a year-plus is a long time and who knows what will happen between now and then. I might decide on reflection I don't really like the game that much. I might decide that I like the game, but not enough to remain subscribed to it continuously. I might decide the game isn't that great right now, but could be better in 6 months or a year after some more polishing, so I should hold off on subscribing now and take a second look later. If I purchased the lifetime but got all I wanted out of the game in 6 months, it might take a lot more than 14 months for that $200 investment to pay off. Assuming 6 months of interest per major release, it would require 2 x-packs on top of the base game, assuming I was interested enough to get the x-packs.

I compare that $200 to the value I get out of a game like Guild Wars. I have probably spent around $200 on Guild Wars since it came out, and for that I have the game, plus 3 expansions, that I can play whenever I want and not have to decide a month at a time whether I want to play that month or not. Admittedly, new content only comes out when the expansions come out, for the most part, but I find it's a model that works for me. I've never seen a content update in an MMO that was anything much to get excited about unless it came out in an expansion anyway.

No one will "waste" the full $200. Even if you don't like the game and decide not to play anymore, you should deduct the amount of time/fees paid for the amount of time you tried it.

For instance, if you would give the game 6 months and after that much time decided to take your interests elsewhere, then you are really only risking/losing $140. No small piece of change to be sure, but not $200.

More to consider: If you play the game MORE than 14 months, then it's all gravy. I'm been on WoW since it started (three years? more?). If you expect a life expectancy as that, then you will make out well.

Even More: The game should improve with more capital. With added revenue, the company should make the commitment to "fix" a broken game.

I got the Lifetime Subscription.

I've already played the game for almost a year. ( Alpha tester! )

And I'm still playing it.

If I do get burnt out, I can stop playing whenever I want. And if I later want to come back, everything is still there, and I haven't even missed any 'Veteran Awards'. If I'm dead broke, homeless, and have only my laptop, I can still play CO until the day the servers die.

If I do get burnt out' date=' I can stop playing whenever I want. [/quote']

I'm sorry, but you do know that sounds like you should get help, was that your intent? :)

I just got it, too, so we're in the same boat there. Hope it lasts a couple of years or more and keeps my interest.

I'm sorry, but you do know that sounds like you should get help, was that your intent? :)

I just got it, too, so we're in the same boat there. Hope it lasts a couple of years or more and keeps my interest.

Hi.

My name is Arkham.

I am an Alt-oholic.

Based on reading how the 6 month deal works, it is going to be $15 a month for Champions Online. So the lifetime subscription is just $20 more than a years subscription would be.

Have to see if my computer can handle what the game requires, if it does and the game is fun enough for me, they have another lifetime subscription being bought. :rolleyes:

Edit: Well, that plan is dead in the water. Should have checked my system specs before downloading the game app. Would need a new graphics card and faster processor to handle this game. Guess I will just have to play it on the X-Box 360.

I think someone (too lazy to see who it was) had a good idea.

I've got my pre-order. So on August 17th I'll log into the beta and create a character and play for two weeks.

If I like the game enough to think I'll give it a go for a year, I'll pay the lifetime. It's a little scary. That's a long commitment to make to an unproven game. I mean, what if Age of Conan had offered a lifetime. Man would you have gotten hosed. I mean the game is still around but they are down to, what, five servers?

And it's not like you can say 'well this is Cryptic, you know, the folks that did the wildly successful CoH franchise?' I mean, it's not like they couldn't bomb. They are going up against a juggernaut of competition.

They also had to change the concepts enough to make a 'new' game. Is it going to be enough to be different? Have they not made mistakes they did with CoH? How bad are the new mistakes?

And it's not like CoH is perfect. They are just now getting around to allowing us to change the colours of our powers. Just now? Really? Colour changes? After, what, five years? REALLY? JUST NOW? Can you tell I'm a bit incredulous? It's a tiny, tiny bit of data that would be rendered (and have all the actual work done) by the client. It's a fairly simple change. But other stuff was 'more important.'

And AE has just about totally killed the game. The only people who haven't really noticed is some of my SG/Champions friends. Some of them ONLY play when we play together on Tuesday nights. For the rest of us, PUGs are non-existant or consist of 5 of 8 of the people having never done anything except AE. Which strikes me as so odd. How is it possible that such a large majority of the players you run into these days have only advanced characters through a method that hasn't even been around for six months? Did everyone else quit?

I know. This was going somewhere, wasn't it?

I'm saying that I'm nervous about the risk of dishing out a very dear and very (comparatively) large sum of money. I'm considering throwing it around with the possibility that the game will tank like AoC and I will have wasted money I can't afford to waste. But these folks have some knowledge and some skill. They've already produced a great game (well, some of them did and not the entire team, but you know what I'm saying). And the game they did produce (CoX) is currently having a bit of problems and have made some poor decisions. Almost as if they were trying to drive a certain portion of their playerbase to another game.

I guess what it all comes down to is:

'Do you believe the game will still be going strong with a good player base in a year?'

It all depends on what you expect from CO. I'm certain that the game will be going strong after the first two years. That's based on Cryptic's track record and the general enthusiasm of the fan base. Beyond that... "reply hazy ask later"... but I can make an educated guess that barring complete catastrophic disaster, CO will continue to enjoy success beyond the two year mark.

Will it dethrone WoW? No. If you're going into Champs Online thinking that you're on the ground floor of the next worldwide pop-culture sensation, a la Everquest, then WoW, you're going to be disappointed.

Is it going to replace your 20 year running tabletop Champs Game? No. This isn't D&D Online, Cryptic isn't Turbine, and DOJ isn't (by any stretch of the imagination WotC (and that's a *good* thing.))