Sixth Edition Showcase #8: APG Goodies

Steve Long

Re: Sixth Edition Showcase #8: APG Goodies

I once created a Demotivator device for foiling bank robberies. It was 10 points of wealth, AoE, OAF.

Basically a wealth bomb.

Bank is being robbed, chuck in the wealth bomb and suddenly everyone in there is a billionaire: why bother robbing a bank for a few million when you are that rich? By the time the police rush in everyone is wearing dinner jackers, sipping cocktails and ordering Ferrarris.

For some reason the GM wouldn't let me have it.

You forgot to make it, "Usable as an attack." :rolleyes:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not? Look at the typical Silver Age super villain. If he wanted to get rich, he could just market the technology he used to commit crimes, or just prudently invest the money he would otherwise spend on all those bizarre gadgets and henchmen to rob the bank.

It seems pretty clear they weren't in it for the money ;)

You're far too good at this, Neilson.

Why not? Look at the typical Silver Age super villain. If he wanted to get rich, he could just market the technology he used to commit crimes, or just prudently invest the money he would otherwise spend on all those bizarre gadgets and henchmen to rob the bank.

Spoil sport! You always let us have all the fun!

I made a villain for a "Villains are the last hope earth has" game (Using Savage Worlds)

Anyways, power armor character, armor could be sold/marketed legaly for millions, instead, HE ROBED BANKS WITH IT, which was a running joke on the guy...Technical genius, common sense not there...

This isn't just a villain thing.

Someone once pointed out to me that if Peter Parker is so obsessed with responsibly using his gifts, protecting others, and making the world a better place he is going about it all wrong. If he were to market a pistol sized version of his web shooters as the ultimate in non-lethal restraints he would have a *much* bigger impact on super villainy than he does as Spider Man.

Think about it: He built the shooters himself as a high school student. They can't be that expensive to manufacture. He is able to buy the chemicals that go into the webbing on a freelance photographer's salary. The ammunition must be relatively cheap. It is probably realistic to think that mass-produced "Web Pistols" would be cheap enough to arm every Police Officer with everywhere in the country on existing law-enforcement budgets. Suddenly, the cops can web super villains instead of watching their bullets bounce off them. Heck, the Police don't even need to shoot normal criminals anymore, so lives would be saved. And if the "Parker Restraint Pistols" fall into the hands of bad folks? Most bank tellers would rather get webbed than shot with a bullet by a robber, so lives are saved there as well.

With all the money Mr. Parker would be making with his non-lethal restraints company he would be able to treat his loved ones to all the things they deserve. Like good medical care for Aunt May.

And that is without even going into how much Tony Stark could do if he shared more of his tech than he does. Sure, many "what if" stories have gone into how bad armies of Iron Men might be, but there are a lot of steps between "I'm keeping it all" and "I'm open sourcing the Iron Man Technologies". (Of course, he is already a Tech Millionare in the comics. Iron Man was always really more of a hobby than the most efficient way for Stark to change the world)

Would you allow Healing in a Magic Multipower Slot?

Honestly, it depends on the campaign and how magic functions in that campaign. I mean, if there are different types of magic, I may allow it for some types and not for others. It just really depends.

—rules for “attacks versus alternate Characteristics,” so you could create, say, an Entangle that works against INT instead of STR or a Transform based on PRE rather than BODY

—a new Mental Power, Possession, that allows a character to completely take over another character, including access to the target’s senses and memories

—expanded rules for Skills, including Skill Combinations, base times for performing Skills, and details on Skill modifiers

—a new optional form of Desolidification, Projection, that lets a character project some part of his “self” outside of his body (such as in the classic “astral projection” sort of ability)

—all sorts of additional and optional information about Mental Powers

—a new Power, Chucking, for when you need to throw large amounts of worked or unworked wood at your foes. While admittedly somewhat more special effects-specific than the typical HERO System Power, it’s a lot of fun and absolutely crucial for creating certain rodent-based characters.

—detailed rules for cyberkinesis (mentally or remotely operating electronics and machinery)

—expanded options for Change Environment that allow you to use it to create Suffocation effects, Stun a target without removing STUN damage, and remove or impose Advantages, Limitations, and Complications

—lots of new optional forms of Area Of Effect

—an optional form of Vulnerability that lets you choose harmful effects other than “take more damage”

—new and expanded rules for combat and adventuring, including Time Chart options, rules for Segmented Movement, and new Combat Modifiers and Combat Maneuvers

...what to say...?

:hail:

• 3 weeks later...

Curious -- what makes Magic different from any other special effect?

It is not a 'sfx' it is a massive collection of sfx that can be used to justify pretty much anything. Of course I'd allow a 'magic' multipower, in the same way I'd allow an 'energy' multipower, but, just as I'd want to know 'what sort of energy?', I'd want to know 'what sort of magic?'.

No' date=' because PSLs are only for combat modifiers. For non-combat stuff we've got Skill Levels. ;)[/quote']

You probably already know/ understand this, and I assume then that just based on your answer this won't be in the APG, but to be completely sure, I think that he was referring to the "optional penalty skill levels versus skill penalties" on page 249 of The Ultimate Skill.

I, personally, have found that using table in my games requires a very steady hand and firm understanding of which modifiers are being modified by the PSL. I can see also why it would not be in the APG.

However it is an interesting idea, but it can be "built" with using skill levels and restrictions; example: Mechanics (+3): only to offset penalties from restricted time. Or some such setup.:D

You probably already know/ understand this' date=' and I assume then that just based on your answer this won't be in the APG, but to be completely sure, I think that he was referring to the "optional penalty skill levels versus skill penalties" on page 249 of The Ultimate Skill.[/quote']

Or the PSLs with magic skills used in The Valdorian Age.

I see no reason why PSLs for non-combat things should not be an available mechanic in the game.

Or the PSLs with magic skills used in The Valdorian Age.

I see no reason why PSLs for non-combat things should not be an available mechanic in the game.

I liked the idea of PSLs for non-combat things myself. I was surprised that it wasn't part of the core rules for 6th.

I was hoping it would re-appear in the Advanced Players Guide.

—a new Power, Chucking,[/bI] for when you need to throw large amounts of worked or unworked wood at your foes. While admittedly somewhat more special effects-specific than the typical HERO System Power, it’s a lot of fun and absolutely crucial for creating certain rodent-based characters.

Thus, finally answering the question "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

You can do ANYTHING in HERO!!

I liked the idea of PSLs for non-combat things myself. I was surprised that it wasn't part of the core rules for 6th.

I was hoping it would re-appear in the Advanced Players Guide.

Well, as Steve mentioned in his answer to your question in the Questions Forum, you can use limited Skill Levels to do this.

Well' date=' as Steve mentioned in his answer to your question in the Questions Forum, you can use limited Skill Levels to do this.[/quote']

Yes, I understand that. You can toolkit things like non-combat PSLs as a house rule.

I was just a little surprised that non-combat PSLs which were discussed in the Ultimate Skill were not going to be presented for 6E in the APG.

Yes, I understand that. You can toolkit things like non-combat PSLs as a house rule.

I was just a little surprised that non-combat PSLs which were discussed in the Ultimate Skill were not going to be presented for 6E in the APG.

I think you are misunderstanding Rod. I don't think he was talking about making house rules. I think he was talking about buying skill levels that have Limitations on them instead of needing PSLs for non-combat skills.

Makes no sense not to have non-combat PSLs. Any sort of Penalty should be allowed for by the system restricting it to CPSL seems to be an odd restriction that gains nothing and loses lots of options.

I guess you could create different PSLs like Talents giving a final single cost after the limitations on what ever CSL or SL is used.

The why not non-combat PSL seems to not have any reason behind it.

Makes no sense not to have non-combat PSLs. Any sort of Penalty should be allowed for by the system restricting it to CPSL seems to be an odd restriction that gains nothing and loses lots of options.

I guess you could create different PSLs like Talents giving a final single cost after the limitations on what ever CSL or SL is used.

The why not non-combat PSL seems to not have any reason behind it.

Maybe the better answer would have been to ditch combat PSL's in favour of limited skill levels as well.

Better to have PSL for all sorts of penalties, just like there are skill level and combat skill levels for all sorts of bonuses.

If they are only for Combat Penalties they should be called Combat Penalty Skill Levels (CPSL).

It's a useful concept, why not have a simple mechanic for it regardless of the type of penalty.