Your favorite character type

Dominique

Re: Your favorite character type

I like Martial Artists, notably ones with a MP or Pool for special martial arts moves. I also just like martial arts - almost every character I play has a set of MA moves even if ranges (Smokeater had a ranged set, and Sift my super-mage has a standard HtH type MA, and a ranged package defined as extra magical control).

If you want to move out from there, I like to play a character can that do a little something in every situation - Martial Artists with pools who can do Ch'i healing or other tricks (Black Cat), super-mages with pools or Multipowers with a lot of slots (Ballistic, Sift) or other oddball characters with a tricks MP or Pool (Terminal Velocity a speedster, or Meeb the shape shifter).

I don't necessarily want them the best at any one thing (although 'Cat is) - but I do usually want them to be the most versatile.

For superheroes, I usually like to pick a couple different archetypes and mix 'em together. A light/fast brick with a magic pool, gadget pool, or some other set of tricks up his/her sleeve (doesn't have to be a VPP) is a classic character build for me.

For characters other than superheroes, I tend to go with something a little more straightforward, 'cause I simply won't typically have the points for a really diverse power set. That said, I always like to have a variety of options, so I'll usually try to work something in, whether it's a handful of martial arts moves or some sort of small power framework.

Powered Armor characters. I was a huge iron man fan growing up so there is something special about a man with a metal mask!

No wonder you latched on to SCEPTRE, or even moreso to Paladin. You're gaming vicariously through my characters, as GM. :D

As for me, I like Boy Scouts; as in the Big Blue variety. The archetype really doesn't matter, it's the personality of the character that makes it for me. I prefer the honorable hero with a sense of responsibility. One who does the right thing, protect normals, etc. My characters are usually well-rounded as far as abilities go. Never the best at anything, but quite good at a lot of things.

My character concepts tend to vary a lot. But I have come back to some variant of the Martial Artist/Melee brawler type character more often than not. This is usually because a) I like characters who can't be disarmed without being de-armed, B) someone else already claimed the cool archetype that I wanted to play.

But I have done bricks, speedsters, mentalists, martial Artists, Bio-based power armor, and energy projectors.

Doc

General question not directed at any specific response. Is there any particular power set you favor when building your favorite archetype?

I tend to be pretty flexible, but for my Energy Projectors, I try to pick special effects that lend themselves to more than just blowing stuff up. Flashes, Entangles, NNDs, that sort of thing.

I tend to be pretty flexible' date=' but for my Energy Projectors, I try to pick special effects that lend themselves to more than just blowing stuff up. Flashes, Entangles, NNDs, that sort of thing.[/quote']

I've got a thing for energy projectors myself, and I agree with Collie that having more than "Blow stuff up" and "blow more stuff up" as powers is generally the right way to go.

While we're on the topic, I love ice manipulators. My pet GMPC is an ice manipulator. I've played several versions of them (brick, EP, even metamorph) in the past. Ironically, though I love City of Heroes, I could never get into the ice sets in that game. Go figure.

I tend to be pretty flexible' date=' but for my Energy Projectors, I try to pick special effects that lend themselves to more than just blowing stuff up. Flashes, Entangles, NNDs, that sort of thing.[/quote']

I tend to agree. Plain "vanilla" EB, is pretty boring to me.

I tend to agree. Plain "vanilla" EB' date=' is pretty boring to me.[/quote']

True, but I always make sure I have one of those, too. A little dull, but they can certainly be effective.

Thinking more on the topic, I also have a distinct tendency to play 'artificial' characters; robots, vat-grown organisms, that sort of thing. And yes, my favorite D&D race is the Warforged. I've had an idea percolating in the back of my mind as using a 'rubber golem' as a way to do stretching powers (something I've never done), but I can't come up with a reason for anybody to build such a thing.

At least, not a family-friendly one ...

I think I'm at a loss for an Energy SFX that can't do more than blow stuff up. :think:

Myself, Fire/Heat and Ice/Cold are tied for 1st. Lots of options with both of those.

"EM Specturm" is a close second. So very versatile!

I think I'm at a loss for an Energy SFX that can't do more than blow stuff up. :think:

I'm mostly thinking of characters like Cyclops and Havok, which I suppose is less a matter of FX as build/power limitations. Sometimes, the M.O. of your powers don't let you control it once you project it away from your body. For every solid-light-construct Green Lantern, there's a guy with a laser pistol. :)

I like *magic*... not 'Dr. Strange I can do anything the writers feel like I can do' magic, but a defined system. Magic often doesn't bring up the thoughts of 'realism' that other power sources might, so I am more free just to have fun with it.

• 3 weeks later...

The character I'm currently building is a powered armor guy, sort of akin to how Iron Man is now. He got his Cyberpathy/Technomancy first, and used it to break into our campaign setting's equivalent of Tony Stark's house, and then proceeded to talk to the man through his security system. He convinced him to develop a nano-tech suit, and now he has the joy of being able to metamorph into his "powered armor." He also mysteriously has a REALLY high metabolism now.... It's just an awesome idea for me.

I hate playing character's that can't fly...I don't know why, but ever since my days playing DnD I couldn't stand to be the character anchored to the ground.

I also love telekinetics and EPs. My EPs tend to be sort of like nega-energy projectors. They don't use EBs, but Drains, and drop globes of darkness on people for fun.