District 9

Ranxerox

Um. How do I put this? Go see District 9. Best Sci-Fi film of the year' date=' hands down. Just a big pile of awesome all around.[/quote']

This is a really good movie. It is pretty violent and definitely earns it's R rating, so not a movie for young children. Otherwise, I wholeheartedly recommend this movie to everybody.

I can't really see running a campaign in this setting, but it would make a very interesting story arc in an existing campaign. Say as a situation encountered in a star hopping campaign.

Re: District 9

we were going to' date=' then learned it used shakycam. So we cancelled, since neither of us was inclined to go to a movie that would make us both throw-up from motion sickness :mad:[/quote']

The ShakeyCam stuff wasn't that bad. It was used most often in the beginning to give the feel of an amateur Documentary that the Main character was shooting. After things take off (in the story) the camera work is pretty normal.

I liked this better when it was called "Alien Nation."

No, seriously, the shaky cam stuff isn't so bad, only very small portions of the movie are done in that fashion. For the most part they give you a very good look at the aliens and their tech, there were very few parts of the movie where the action made it hard to see what was happening.

My main complaints are conflicting plot points - I won't ruin it for anyone, but I will say that the premise of why they were here was glossed over and did not exactly mesh with the results at the end of the movie.

But the tech was really cool.

I liked this better when it was called "Alien Nation."

No, seriously, the shaky cam stuff isn't so bad, only very small portions of the movie are done in that fashion. For the most part they give you a very good look at the aliens and their tech, there were very few parts of the movie where the action made it hard to see what was happening.

My main complaints are conflicting plot points - I won't ruin it for anyone, but I will say that the premise of why they were here was glossed over and did not exactly mesh with the results at the end of the movie.

But the tech was really cool.

Moreover the reason that the aliens were stuck here were glossed over.

Why certain things that happened the way they did wasn't really explained well either. Basically my GF spent the whole ride home picking apart the plotholes.

She still liked the movie, but she would have liked it if someone had explained stuff better.

Aside rant: Does it ever strike any of you, that most Action/Scifi/Fantasy movies should have a hard core RPG gamer on board as a consultant? There are too many movies where the script needs a bit of a reality check. Sometimes I see scenes where the Characters could be using their enviroment better (or even their weapons more intelligently). I see things like this and think that if the movie were a game that I was running, that my players would run roughshod over huge parts of the script.

Aside rant: Does it ever strike any of you' date=' that most Action/Scifi/Fantasy movies should have a hard core RPG gamer on board as a consultant? There are too many movies where the script needs a bit of a reality check. Sometimes I see scenes where the Characters could be using their enviroment better (or even their weapons more intelligently). I see things like this and think that if the movie were a game that I was running, that my players would run roughshod over huge parts of the script.[/quote']

QFT

Very much so. Or at least a consultant - scientific, scifi fan, roleplaying or just a professional writer of books and/or short stories.

They too often sacrifice continuity and realism for pacing and SFX.

QFT

Very much so. Or at least a consultant - scientific, scifi fan, roleplaying or just a professional writer of books and/or short stories.

LOL that would be a different way to write a script. Create it as a RPG adventure first, get some good players, and see what happens. At the end run a Bull session where everyone talks about the adventure and what could have been better and what they liked. Of course have the whole thing on tape and write the script based on that.

The DVD extras could have an extra track with the game dialog in sync with the scenes (with boring stuff like dice rolling edited out)

With writing like this we might be able to prevent travesties like the Dungeons and Dragons movie! ROFL

Tasha :D

Moreover the reason that the aliens were stuck here were glossed over.

These might be problems in a movie (not having all my questions answered didn't bother me, but it seems to have bother a lot of other people), but in a Star HERO campaign they good things. These unanswered questions become mysteries for the players and try to solve, and the eventual solutions become plot hooks for latter adventures.

So, they aren't bugs; they're features.

Aside rant: Does it ever strike any of you' date=' that most Action/Scifi/Fantasy movies should have a hard core RPG gamer on board as a consultant? There are too many movies where the script needs a bit of a reality check. Sometimes I see scenes where the Characters could be using their enviroment better (or even their weapons more intelligently). I see things like this and think that if the movie were a game that I was running, that my players would run roughshod over huge parts of the script.[/quote']One big example of this was the third of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. All through it, I kept thinking that any reasonably imaginative group of gamers would have soundly trounced Freddy Kruger's a double-crooked-letter.

District 9 is the movie that Blomkamp and Jackson made instead of Halo. I'm hoping the success of District 9 helps get Halo made. And I'll be surprised if District 9 doesn't get a sequal now, too.

My wife also complained about plot holes, but I assured her that the sequal will make everything clear. {crossing fingers}

As a teaser, if you haven't seen it, here is the original short by the director that impressed Jackson enough to get District 9 made...

Alive in Joberg

However, sadly, there are inescapable (but bad) reasons for this sorry state of affairs. Summed up here:

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3a.html#todd