Grab my tentacles

Sean Waters

So, I have this character I've just built: Squid.

He has, inter alia, Extra Limbs, giving him ten tentacle like appendages - when he activates the power. He also has stretching (12m) with the tentacles.

So: question.

He stretches out and grabs Amazona, intending to squeeze her, but underestimates how strong she is. She's (say) 5 metres away.

They grapple and Amazona gains the upper hand: Squid is himself grabbed.

Now, in that situation, can he simply turn his Extra Limbs off to escape? If he didn't have the tentacles, Amazona would not be close enough to grab him. Extra Limbs are persistent but not 'always on'. What happens there?

Question 2.

What would you rule the strength of each limb is? I know that grabbiong with one hand gives you -5 STR but what would grabbing with one tentacle of 10 be? -17?

The whole point of having lots of limbs is so that you can look cool grabbing multiple opponents! (well, not the whole point, but...) Big STR reductions like that make grabbing superpowered opponents almost pointless unless I up his STR ridiculously.

Re: Grab my tentacles

I would say let the SFX dictate. I seriously doubt the tentacles *poof* out of existence, therefore Amazona still has hold of one of those suckers.

Not an official answer, but I would go with the straight -5 STR regardless of how many limbs one had.

I hope you and your suggestive title are happy.

I would say let the SFX dictate. I seriously doubt the tentacles *poof* out of existence, therefore Amazona still has hold of one of those suckers.

Not an official answer, but I would go with the straight -5 STR regardless of how many limbs one had.

I hope you and your suggestive title are happy.

Well you could have ectoplasmic Tentacles (although possibly not with a name like 'Squid') that go poof.

The problem is (A problem is) that if the extra limbs are gone and Amazona is still holding onto Squid then one or the other (or both) of them have to have moved. That seems potentially more complicated than simply ruling the grab is broken.

I like the 'just -5' approach: full STR if you are using all limbs, -5 STR if you are using less than all your limbs. Easy to administer and simple to use.

And thank you: my grabbed tentacles and I are very happy :)

Well you could have ectoplasmic Tentacles (although possibly not with a name like 'Squid') that go poof.

I agree and this would still be consistent taking the SFX route. Ectoplasmic limb goes *poof* and the hold is broken.

The problem is (A problem is) that if the extra limbs are gone and Amazona is still holding onto Squid then one or the other (or both) of them have to have moved. That seems potentially more complicated than simply ruling the grab is broken.

How do the limbs 'go'?

In general, expendable limbs aren't stretching, they're a special effect of telekinesis. However, if squid had regeneration (missing limbs), no problem...

I agree and this would still be consistent taking the SFX route. Ectoplasmic limb goes *poof* and the hold is broken.

How do the limbs 'go'?

Bridlington?

Probably not. I think they might snap back into the body, shrinking as they go. Shrinky stuff like that is probably hard to keep hold of.

The reason I don't like the sfx approach to this is that there's really no downside to ectoplasmic limbs v 'real' ones. It is like 'think of a cunning explanation and it is more useful'. That would tend to have the effect of making certain sfx choices superior to others and would tend to limit the richness of the genre. Or something.

In general' date=' expendable limbs aren't stretching, they're a special effect of telekinesis. However, if squid had regeneration (missing limbs), no problem...[/quote']

I'm suggesting that I turn off the extra limbs, not the stretching (although it is only the extra limbs that stretch so the stretching would turn off too). Oddly he does have regeneration that replaces limbs, but I'm not sure how that would really help.

I know it sounds a but weird turning extra limbs on and off, but you can...

I have some bad news for you…

:) I know...but here is how I see it...

Mechanically and in effect there should be no difference between two powers with the same build based on sfx, except minor advantages and limitations too small to amount to anything other than +0 or -0, agreed between player and GM. That might mean that a particular sfx doesn't make a lot of sense for a particular build, but it should still work the same way.

Being able to automatically escape grabs to an extra limb is a quite substantial advantage IMO, at least +1/4. If it is part of the power then NOT being able to escape grabs should be worth a limitation, at least -1/4.

If it is NOT part of the power then sfx shouldn't grant the ability: perhaps it should be built as +20 instant STR, no figured, only to escape grab, and the extra limbs can not be turned off whilst grabbed.

I would say you couldn't "turn off" the Extra Limb before "turning off" Stretching' date=' since the one power is relying on the other. What does "turning off" Stretching look like? It looks like pulling the limb back. Oh wait, someone is holding the limb...[/quote']

6e Chapter 34521: Situations in which you can not turn off powers.

1. a) i) Aardvark power...

Mechanically and in effect there should be no difference between two powers with the same build based on sfx' date=' except minor advantages and limitations too small to amount to anything other than +0 or -0, agreed between player and GM.[/quote']

Considering I have never had a player take Extra Limbs and grappling happens fairly infrequently in my campaigns, I am willing to live with it.

Considering I have never had a player take Extra Limbs and grappling happens fairly infrequently in my campaigns' date=' I am willing to live with it.[/quote']

Can I come play in your game? I have this character called EctoLad (battlecry: Don't worry it comes out with soap and water).

Oh, and my sister wants to come too...**sigh**

I'm guessing not. See http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1890402

And now I feel extremely dirty for some reason.

:)

I am intrigued (veering away from the thin ice) by the interaction of mechanics and in-game logic. In practice I would do what is being suggested: a limb shrinking back into a character can still be attached at both ends, pulling one or both fixed points - or preventing the power being turned off if the fixed points are immobile.

But 'extra limbs' is a sort of sfx implied by the power name. What is the power, if you strip away all sfx, mechanically? What is the effect of activating or deactivating it? I suspect that is too much detail for the rules to cater for (how long is the book already?) but I still find it an interesting point. I appreciated the interesting input: I do tend to get caught in the detail.

Well, there are a few mechanics having to do with number of limbs in the Grab rules. There are also the weapon Limitations that require a certain number of hands. The rest is pretty hazy, as I suppose it probably should be. Hence, I suppose, the cost difference between one Extra Limb and 50 of them. ;)

Well' date=' there are a few mechanics having to do with number of limbs in the Grab rules. There are also the weapon Limitations that require a certain number of hands. The rest is pretty hazy, as I suppose it probably should be. Hence, I suppose, the cost difference between one Extra Limb and 50 of them. ;)[/quote']

It has been hinted in the past that I can be a touch...zealous...in pursuing almost insignificant detail.

Whilst I can not agree, of course, I can see the strength of the argument :D