6e Discussion: Combat Values

Sean Waters

Re: 6e Discussion: Combat Values

Oh' date=' you can still build it. It's just that if you want a character who is both very dexterous and really good at combat, it's now going to cost you up the ying-yang. I foresee a lot fewer speedster/martial artist types with relatively low defenses and high CVs personally. [/quote']

True. But is that an improvement in the game that claims to be able to do anything?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some characteristics need the grittiness

Str each point of str an increase of 20%

Con each point sets a level getting dazed

Ego to resist mental effects

Pre same as Ego to resist Pre attack

Oh yeah! In fact' date=' we could just replace [i']all[/i] the Characteristics with Talents. :straight:

It seems the Character Abilities Guideline Table (6E1 p35) is nearly identical to 5ER; DEF and rDEF columns now have ranges instead of a number, and Standard Superhero minimum rDEF is now 12 instead of 10, but otherwise they are identical including CV.

From your extensive analysis of the costs on this thread, it doesn't seem to correspond to how characters will actually look like in the future, though. :think:

*looking at mounds of conversion work*

I appreciate your estimates on the probable CVs-to-come. That'll save me some experimenting, leaving me to re-envision the character concepts! :thumbup:

Oh yeah! In fact' date=' we could just replace [i']all[/i] the Characteristics with Talents. :straight:

Only if you want to start with the premise that not all characters have all Characteristics. The ones in 6th Edition, agree that it's important or not, are all distinct from another in mechanical effect, which was the only criteria Steve appeared to use.

Having converted a number of Star Hero Characters, I've already taken advantage of being able to have different CVs on one of them. It's kind of cool to be able to easily do that without taking Skill Levels and adding Limitations or worrying about that in/out of combat, just buy what I want and go.

It was interesting to have an 18 DEX and all that it comes with (Agility Skill Levels) and only a 5DCV.

Having converted a number of Star Hero Characters, I've already taken advantage of being able to have different CVs on one of them. It's kind of cool to be able to easily do that without taking Skill Levels and adding Limitations or worrying about that in/out of combat, just buy what I want and go.

It was interesting to have an 18 DEX and all that it comes with (Agility Skill Levels) and only a 5DCV.

Right..I like the decoupling of CVs from DEX myself...way more flexible.

Then all DEX, INT and PRE would really do is control skill rolls, and act as a reservoir for targeting by adjustment powers.

And then we could ditch them entirely and have people buy skill levels with skill categories (agility, intellect, interaction) or groups of skills or individual skills.

Now we're cooking with gas!

Yes!

And then we could ditch them entirely and have people buy skill levels with skill categories (agility, intellect, interaction) or groups of skills or individual skills.

Now we're cooking with gas!

Yes!

And that's when I stop playing Hero...or at least don't update to the next Edition.

Well... yeah.

I've pretty much worked out a system that runs without the now archaic primaries (in the sense they are no longer called that). But Body and the "secondary" characteristics require replacement mechanics, which is additional work rather than reduction, which is why I didn't touch them. Strength also requires some work, but its not as bad. I chose to go with an MoS based lift system because the system breaks down to five points per +1 and you lose some granularity with strength, especially at heroic levels, if you try to benchmark it per level. Also, I use a different strength chart, too. Overall, I've been happy with it.

A radical step one could take would be to treat characteristics like skill levels in the sense that you don't necessarily have to have set characteristics. You could assume an everyman roll of 11- and purchase characteristic rolls at the 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12 (did I get that right?) levels. That could get very broken if you aren't careful, and you might want to restrict it to some degree, but it would allow a completely free-form character design process that adds an element of special effect into the characteristics. I've been pondering it for a while now. I might try it out for personal notation rather than game purposes to get a feel for it.