6th Edition Character Sheet

Steve Long

Re: 6th Edition Character Sheet

...Here is a sample output. I am open to suggestions and refinements.

I like it! I really like the 6th ed sheet listing enhanced senses together. It seems all my major characters have had enhances even exotic senses. This is a nice reminder to the player to use them! I like the fact the HD export sheet lists the senses in both the Powers and Senses sections for bookkeeping purposes. Good job Hero folks, Fred and RPMiller!! This is a keeper.

You know it's funny I have been using Hero Designer sheets so long I had forgotten what a hand-filled sheet looks like until i saw the example in 6E. Just seeing it reminded me of the old 1st ed sheets, my first characters and how I love Hero's character creation system that requires my input for every character attribute. Easy to see why I have stuck around for 26 years :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny. I used to absolutely abhor pre-packaged character sheets, and ALWAYS created mine completely from scratch with pencil and paper (or at the very least hand-rolled a word processing document for each character). I guess I've lost a little of my must-reinvent-the-wheel-every-single-time attitude with age and laziness. It's almost sad. LOL. :drink:

Welcome to the Hero System.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, we'll mob you with answers.

The only problem I see my self having is what question to ask first lol.

I am going to a local con and will get to play, if a few weeks, after that. Let the questions begin lol

• 1 month later...

Just as a nit' date=' I would have preferred that the characteristic cost had been put in the sheet so that people wouldn't have to reference them. Outside of that it looks good.[/quote']

I think the construction cost-free version may be more intelligible to new players: I personally prefer a 'clean' character sheet for play with a separate reference sheet for construction, but it is a matter for the individual - and a good reason to produce multiple character sheet designs!

Just as a nit' date=' I would have preferred that the characteristic cost had been put in the sheet so that people wouldn't have to reference them. Outside of that it looks good.[/quote']

There aren't costs listed for anything else, so reference to the rulebook in character creation is pretty much a given. In fact, I find people learn the costs of the characteristics faster and more frequently than any other costs, because they use them every time they build a character. If you know the costs, having them on the character sheet wastes space. If you don't, you're probably referring to the book anyway in character construction, so having them on the sheet is of limited benefit.

In short, I prefer the characteristic cost be eliminated from the sheet to free up space.

Here's a crack I've had at a character sheet. I was desperate to break up the:

STR

DEX

CON

INT

EGO

PRE

stat block which is desperately reminiscent of DnD, and the mental characteristics now spell 'PIE' in acronym, which has to be a good thing.

It is specifically designed to leave out all construction numbers and be a 'Play Sheet', so I've not left 'cost' columns about the place.

I've not worked much on presentation - a different font and a bit of colour might well make it look pretty, but it should be quite useful in game.

I've probably left some stuff off...Thoughts?

I'm going to have to put some thought into this. I want to see something good and dynamic. I may have to work with a friend of mine who is an excel genius and another who works well with virtual basic to see if I can come up with something that would work for me.

I guess it first means designing the pen and paper version that the electronic stuff makes easier...

My thoughts are a sheet that encourages good build behaviour that leads to a good play sheet. I'm thinking of a power build sheet that facilitates the point design and encourages good description. On the play sheet you would have the description with only the necessary numbers.....

Doc

I like it more in colour but it is still a functional blocky character sheet that does not lend any feeling to the character behind the numbers...

The colour was meant to be repulsive - I can't do anything right, can I? :D

To discuss matters seriously though...

To be honest the main reason for the character sheet was the layout of characteristics: the current layout doesn't seem very friendly, whereas breaking it up into 'purpose blocks' makes it easier to understand and digest - in my opinion. the rest was just thrown together round that idea. It IS blocky but then that is the most efficient use of space, and another 'ideal' is to have all of the play information on a single sheet, 'in your face'.

I think this is a more practically useful design because of that.

I've always been a big fan of Doc Democracy's "make the sheet look like the game you're playing" philosophy. So... :D

EDIT: No, sadly I don't have a Herodesigner export. I did these by hand, in Adobe Indesign. If some brilliant Herodesigner genius wanted to adopt this and make it into an export, I wouldn't have any complaints!

Very cool sheet bunneh. Making a one-size fits all export for that would be tough with the way the text is laid out on the right of the character image, but if it was put into a straight column it wouldn't be too bad.

I've never tried to make an export template, but I've seen one that someone else did (I think it was Doc Democracy) and it was pretty brilliant how far they were able to take it.

I've always been a big fan of Doc Democracy's "make the sheet look like the game you're playing" philosophy. So... :D

EDIT: No, sadly I don't have a Herodesigner export. I did these by hand, in Adobe Indesign. If some brilliant Herodesigner genius wanted to adopt this and make it into an export, I wouldn't have any complaints!

Now THAT is a champions character sheet....

It speaks superheroes. It retains some geeky numbers and is lacking sdescriptive colour on the powers but you almost miss that because it is lovely to look at...

Doc