Highlander Hero

Stone

Anyone ever tried to put this together? I was thinking about it, but trying to figure out how to handle quickenings. I was leaning towards making 2 types of XP. One a character normally gains and one that is gained from quickenings. Then any "highlander" abilities could only be purchased by quicken points (QP). Any ideas?

Highlander is harder to do than what most people think. The problem comes in with the fact that the tv series, the movies, and even episodes out of each disagree with what happens when a person goes through the "quickening."

According to Highlander myth when one immortal kills another immortal he gains all the killed immortal's memories, powers, and abilities. Which leads to the question why don't the main characters ever use the information they have gained. Dont even get my started on "dark quickenings."

Anyhooo

The easiest way is to allow immortals to create a VPP. As a GM you rule that the VPP can contain skill and talents. The VPP is used to represent any powers that the immortal has acquired.

The rest is just special effect and setting rules.

Originally posted by Herolover

Highlander is harder to do than what most people think. The problem comes in with the fact that the tv series, the movies, and even episodes out of each disagree with what happens when a person goes through the "quickening."

According to Highlander myth when one immortal kills another immortal he gains all the killed immortal's memories, powers, and abilities. Which leads to the question why don't the main characters ever use the information they have gained. Dont even get my started on "dark quickenings."

Anyhooo

The easiest way is to allow immortals to create a VPP. As a GM you rule that the VPP can contain skill and talents. The VPP is used to represent any powers that the immortal has acquired.

The rest is just special effect and setting rules.

Ooh, I know, I get annoyed by continuity gaps like that. No follow-through on concept.

Anyway, another way to build it would be to require all highlander characters to buy an Aid power. :)

Aid 2d6, all powers simultaneously, increased maximum value, trigger (when killed), not usable on self.

I'm not sure I'd actually charge points for that power. :)

But I probably wouldn't use it, anyway. I just like messing around with weird power constructs.

If I remember, FH has a magical style similar to Highlanders. The 'Chaos Blades.' I won't go into it, since I have no idea how much I'm allowed to quote for fair use on the boards, but it works by Aid. Seemed a little kludgey for use in a genuine Highlander-focussed game. I'd be thinking that for a game like that, you'd need to alter a couple of mechanics here and there. Like the Quickening Points idea, which actually isn't too bad. Just be careful that PCs don't outstrip each other.

Or, y'know, decide they need more quickening points than they're getting from enemies.......