Ben 10: Alien Force -Season 3 (6E)

Bloodstone

Re: Ben 10: Alien Force -Season 3 (6E)

Yeah, it was goofy and disjointed, but still entertained me.

I think the writers my be having a weird out contest. Ben's hand running around on it's own takes the cake so far, even above Fool's Gold. Silver Age levels of inexplicable bizarreness. :nonp:

As I said, I look forward to Sunder appearing again some time. Powers Boothe was awesome and I think the character has potential as a reoccurring villain.

For the record, If All Else Fails had a rather serious tone compared to the last few episodes.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swampfire's up.

He's one of Ben's more heavily used aliens and he has an ever increasing list of really versatile powers. I did a few things differently in this version.

First of all, Swampfire has demonstrated his plant control abilites are not inherently linked to the Methane gas power, even though in his early appearances he released said gas when animating plants. As such, I have split his Plant Control Powers and his Fire powers into separate MP's.

He's a royal pain in the butt to balance defensively. In most fights, he's virtually impossible to put down. He feels little to no pain and even when he loses a limb it barely slows him down. Even losing his head is just a temporary inconvenience.

He's got enough defenses that swarms of DNAliens can't really hurt him. However, a single Highbreed was able to one shot him and Goops anti grav unit shredded him. I may revisit his defenses and consider putting some of them in an MP, so that he can't use all of them at once. This would help account for the variability of his toughness.

Anyhow, overall, I lowered his defenses ever so slightly so that it's possible to incapacitate him for a few seconds at a time by doing enough BODY.

His DR is now Stun only and, because of the way Killing Attacks work in 6E, I removed his Resistant protection. So he can potentially get cut and blasted apart by KA's, even though it still won't hurt much. However, I raised his REC and Regen to keep him going. With his high CON and STUN he's probably not getting stunned by any normal attack. I'll have to run some numbers to see how many DNAliens he can fight before things turn against him ;)

I also removed his Brawling MP for now, as I am considering giving Ben a few martial maneuvers across all forms. If I don't do that, I'll add it back in since Swampfire is clearly very hard hitting and has used the Ear Slap Hearing Flash.

Good stuff, I love your work :thumbup: .

He's got enough defenses that swarms of DNAliens can't really hurt him. However' date=' a single Highbreed was able to one shot him and Goops anti grav unit shredded him. I may revisit his defenses and consider putting some of them in an MP, so that he can't use all of them at once. This would help account for the variability of his toughness.[/quote']

Perhaps this could be represented by high levels of the new Damage Negation power but small STUN and BODY scores.

Good stuff' date=' I love your work :thumbup: .[/quote']

Perhaps this could be represented by high levels of the new Damage Negation power but small STUN and BODY scores.

hmm... that's an interesting thought. Hadn't really tried that angle yet. I'll have to see how well something like that works :thumbup:

First new draft of Echo Echo is done. My previous version gave Echo Echo the ability to create 32 dupes at once.

We saw literally hundreds of them in Fools Gold. They were uncountable legions I tell you! I doubt the animators that drew them know how many were actually in any given scene. :help:

Anyhow, he's currently the most expensive form and he still probably doesn't quite approach the levels of insanity we have seen from the little guy. Not that he's ever shown to be world shatteringly powerful or anything, it's just that Duplication of this magnitude is REALLY expensive.

The dupes have been revealed to be rather expendable, gladly sacrificing themselves for a tactical advantage. This was very clearly demonstrated in Single Handed. Technically, we don't KNOW that any of them were actually killed in Fool's Gold, though based on the chewing of the initial handful, I would kind of assume so :idjit:

In addition, each of the Duplicate seems to have the ability to duplicate :drink:

So I want with a hybrid Duplication/Summon Route. Ben can create 8 standard Dupes and each of them is then able to summon 16 more dupes, for a total of 144 possible Echo Echo's. The Summons do not have enough points for the Summon, Duplication or Resurrection abilities, thus preventing an infinite loop.

Ben has surprisingly few Duplication Stunts. He mostly uses Echo Echo's to do attacks from multiple angles or for swarm tactics. He frequently Coordinates his attacks, which is one of the reasons I reduced the dice in his main attack slightly. I also didn't give him too much END. And for the record, Echo Echo's Living Amplifier power isn't intended to work on himself OR his Dupes/Summons.

I may need to increase the knockback of his powers, but he often seems to build up to knockback, slowly pushing things away as he screams at them until they go flying.

Oh, and I need to add the Scream Through A Cell Phone stunt, which was incredibly complicated... but I misplaced my notes on it :(

To point out the obvious, Echo Echo would be a nightmare to GM for and is probably pretty much unplayable without some sort of mass combat rules... or maybe a computer simulation. :sneaky:

You could easily ditch the Summon ability and run him with just 8 dupes for a somewhat more down to earth total of 832 points. Still a TON of power and a lot of actions to work through in a turn though :eek:

I dunno about anybody else' date=' but I didn't see any new alien tricks in 'If All Else Fails'. I haven't looked at the Swampfire writeup, but I can't imagine 'brain infested by plant-like alien' to be a frequent enough occurance to create a power to cover.[/quote']

Yeah, not much. As I said, I'll be adding a few inches to Humongo's jump.

I figure the Mind Control (Plant Class of Minds) covers what Swampfire did.

Diamondhead's new writeup isn't posted yet of course. He's due some pretty interesting upgrades from the original series.. and maybe a downgrade or two as well, considering how easily his crystal constructs get shattered in AF...

I'm still wondering if Chromastone got integrated into Diamondhead and combined their abilities. There's absolutely no evidence to support that theory ... but it'd be COOL. :)

Not so far, but there was a hint dropped that Chromastone might be why Diamondheads ranged shard attacks explode on impact now.

So...

Originally:

Magic exists. Gwen is a sorceress.

Then:

Magic doesn't exist. Gwen's powers derive from her grandmother being an alien energy being.

Now, apparently:

Magic exists. Gwen is a sorceress. Her grandmother was an alien made of living magical energy, giving her a natural affinity for magic.

Make up your minds writers!

But I guess she gets her spellbook-based VPP back.

Then:

Magic doesn't exist. Gwen's powers derive from her grandmother being an alien energy being.

Only according to Kevin and Gwen's father Frank, neither of whom are experts on such matters. Verdona never actually said Gwen wasn't using magic. Gwen waffled about terminology a bit herself in the first season.

The writers and editors have never (to my knowledge) gone on record to say magic didn't exist, though quite a few creatures of myth and lore (dragons, ghosts... possibly unicorns and trolls...) have turned out be aliens.

I read it as' date=' there are two ways to access mana. Either inborn via alien powers, or learning via spells. Not unlike sorcerers and wizards in D&D.[/quote']

Pretty much, it's just that Gwen is a mutlicalssed Wizard/Sorcerer (monk/computergeek) with a PrC that lets her levels stack so she isn't totally gimp ;)

From everything we have seen, Gwen has an increased natural affinity for manipulating mana just by virtue of her Annodite spark. We saw this (without explanation) even in the first series, when she was doing things with a few weeks of self-taught magic lessons that Charmcaster could not manage (like using Hex's staff). And Charmcaster is 5 years her senior, with (presumably) significantly more experience and proper training.

She also seems to have an abundance of mana attributed to her alien heritage. However, according to Verdona, Max also has a ton of mana/life energy, despite not having any magical powers...

We'll just continue to call that the Tenyson Family Luck ;)

Well, Ghost Town was interesting...

Well, looks like Ghostfreak is back on the dial. His TK is a lot more obvious now and it was cool seeing him do some new tricks. I wanted to scream at Ben as soon as he said he had an idea...

Still getting used to the newer, nobler and cosmically powerful Vilgax. A part of me hopes his more caring and seemingly lawful nature is all an act... while another part of me really kind of likes this version. Can't wait to see him use the massive hammer that I have seen him pictured with, but the costume is still inferior to his original :P

Pretty good action overall. I LOVED the opening sequence. But there were lots of continuity "errors" and head scratcher moments in this one. Plenty of stuff left unexplained too. Can't help but feel it's all one big setup and I'm looking forward to a glorious payoff :D

And in frustrating turn of events I have just lost around 2 months worth of work on the Ben 10 write ups :(

Literally everything was fine when I looked at it yesterday and now it's all gone.

Life has been so hectic lately that I forgot to do any backups. My most recent HD file's are from 9/25, which basically gives me Ben, Big Chill, Brainstorm, Chromastone and Waybig.

Fortunately, I can get a portion of it back because of this thread...

Unfortunately, the date entry is going to take a while... and I had around 25 MB of notes, spreadsheets and unposted characters that are lost for good.

This included the (still unfinished) writeups of Kevin, Gwen, Ship, Darkstar, Vilgax, Alan, Cooper, Helen, Manny and Pierce.

Damn it, why did October have to be such a productive month? :(

Watched Alien Swarm...

Nanomech is basically the Wasp: Flight, Shrinking, Energy Blasts. Probably Resistant Defense, looked to be quite strong for his size when he was fighting the queen, but it's not like he did any heavy lifting.

I think he's supposed to be permanently small and can shrink down even smaller, but not 100% on that one. Seemed to go down to "microverse"since, since it looked like they were fighting on synapses and such.

I'm also not really sure what the "Adaptability" bit was. He imitated the Queen's tentacle energy blast things, so either he has some ability to upgrade himself mechanically or maybe he has some kind of power duplication.

Don't really have much to go on yet, but we'll allegedly be seeing more of him in the next season of the cartoon.

• 1 month later...

Ok, the rough draft is up.

I think he's tough enough to do most of what we saw.

The deep space survival thing is based on the idea that he boarded the Incursian ship and was apparently fighting in a vaccuum for a while, despite the fact Gwen suffocated him. But he was talking in that bubble, thus negating the life support.

He never really seemed to use those big Wolverine/The Maxx looknig claws for anything except intimidation, so the AP my turn out to be inappropriate.

He also may turn out to be a lot stronger than I have him listed here, but only time will tell.

Oops! Considering his willingness to fight Gwen and Kev, there should possibly be a Berserk on there...

Not that it applies to your builds, but it seems an appropriate place to mention it ...

Did anybody else notice how many times they said 'kill' in the episode? Not 'destroy', not 'perish', just flat out 'kill'?

Twice? I remember Vulkanus and the Incursian commander saying it. Lots of other really violent threats threats though ;)

Of course, it's not that uncommon of a word for the show really. And they do have a surprising number of on screen deaths for a kids program.