Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

I've been reading Sean Russell's World Without End.

The protagonist has discovered a ruined city on an uninhabited island. That it was a city is still undeniable but the wild has obviously been reclaiming the land for many centuries.

"There were no sounds of men, here; only the whisperings of nature, which men often called silence. Tristam imagined he heard the language of the forest itself. Have men returned? Are all our efforts to be undone?"

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary without rear end

This one is not a true quote since I thought it rather than saying it, but here goes.

The scene: Tonight's performance of Robeto Devereux. During the overture, the supertitles were showing a summary of Elizabeth the First's life.

Supertitle: As a child, she witnessed the dissolution of the marriage of her parents, Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn.

Me (thinking): Well, I suppose that's one way to put it!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I can see that ...  it was a shock, back in the 1980s, finding Vega had an infrared excess (a disk),  suggesting  that it was nearly pole-on to us, and therefore the star's narrow absorption lines were likely due to sine i with i close to 90 degrees, not a small Vrotation.  Took another 15 years or so to prove it.  Made for (in retospect) an embarrassing choice to have declared the zero-at-all-colors standard star to be something that wasn't spherically symmetric, AND had a bunch of trash around it mucking up the IR colors to boot.

“The greatest battle of life is fought out within the silent chambers of the soul. A victory on the inside of a man’s heart is worth a hundred conquests on the battlefields of life. To be master of yourself is the best guarantee that you will be master of the situation. Know thyself. The crown of character is self-control.”

• 2 weeks later...