Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

"I don't know anybody here. I'll just get really drunk."

"Then you'll know EVERYBODY here because we'll have all pressed charges!"

Steve and Me 9/25/09

"He was kinda hot."

"He was NOT hot!"

"Okay, did anyone take his temperature because if not it's completely irrelevant."

Kara, Jamie and Jon 9/25/09

She has inward beer goggles.

Me 9/25/09

Earlier tonight, in a restaurant, watching a family interact:

(Name withheld) Look how loving that boy is with his mother. He's either going to be gay or be really messed up with women.

Lucius Alexander

I wasn't me that said it and it wasn't the palindromedary either.

Me, today:

"My car is failing spectacularly, in ways I never imagined a car could possibly malfunction."

Lucius Alexander

Sometimes I think my automobile has more personality than my palindromedary. And not in a good way.

This one is not at all recent but I finally have a place here to share... :)

My then 7 year-old daughter was entertaining my wife by putting on a puppet show. At one point, she placed a puppet lying down on the "stage" then slowly raised it to a standing position.

My wife asked, "What is he doing?"

My daughter promptly answered, "He's loading."

This made me realize that a) my children were truly Internet natives and B) I really needed to switch to broadband. :D

At Folsom Street Fair yesterday...

Moi: "Nahh, we're not staying for any afterparties. I have to work in the morning and only got a couple hours of sleep."

Friends: "Had too much fun last night?"

Me:"I was almost a spectator, actually."

My small cute girlfriend, looking at the tall lovely one "Yeah,I spent too long f**king his girlfriend."

(wow, am I happy they like each other...wheeeeeee)

In another game forum, the topic of Firefly, Dollhouse and Joss Whedon's trials at Fox came up, and one of the group posted the following:

Overheard at the Fox Network during the Prime-Time Fall Lineup talks.

"Betrayal is the savory meat of our dish and Indifference the sturdy bread. We pull episodes we find 'objectionable' and reconsider the extent of our commitment."

"The tears of the fans spice the meal to perfection. We let slip a change in actors or directors. A complete shift of the direction of the show. Government conspiracy turns out to be alien invasion or magical intrusion."

"The drink will be their confusion and fear. We shuffle episodes about and change time slots without notice. We cancel or replace it with another shows reruns without excuse or reason?"

"For dessert there is nothing quite so sweet as the taste of a broken promise. Pulling the show after five episodes, making sure they know that several more will go unaired."

Poor Joss. They just want to keep letting him hope and then pulling it away. Two more show ideas ruined and he'll be hunched over, lurching through the hallways muttering to himself, "They pulled our shows again my precious. Nasty Foxssss."

Until they get him to run a reality TV show for them. And it's a hit. And they insist that he keep working on it, season after season as his soul burns to a black bitter husk.

:D

So, I had a number of related dreams last night, all about attempting to escape a nuclear blast. First dream, I was where it happened so I saw the cause and knew the timeline. Later dreams I started in different parts of the city and tried to escape in different ways. Didn't succeed...5 times.

So, I'm at breakfast and my wife notices I'm not eating much. My reply: "Nuclear conflagration makes me queasy.":sick:

One Mrs. Archer remined me of . . .

Archerette, age five, is playing with a baby carrage. Not statisfied with a babydoll, she decides to try a real 'baby', one of our three Boston Terriers. Now Bostons aren't that big, normally. maybe 12 to 15 pounds. Well, we had the Hulk of Bostons, DJ, weighting in at 25 pounds. This is who five year old Archerette figured would make the best baby. So, scooping up a complacent DJ, she drops him in the carrage and covers him with a blanket. That lasted just long enough for Archerette to start pushing the poor dog around before he sought escape. Bounding out he upset the carrage, toppling it over onto it's side and sending everything Archerette had pack inside all over the floor.

"OH! SHITAKE mushrooms!" screeches my little darling.

Wish she'd use language like that NOW!

I love crappy sci-fi movies, you know that junk that comes on the SCIFI channel? Well, when Ghost Fletcher was eight, he and I were watching a movie called Gargoyles, a 2004 epic starring Michael Pare. Somewhere near the end, the star is talking about a 'murder' by the gargoyle and my eight year old son says, "That's not murder, it's the food chain."

Makes a father proud :thumbup:

I love crappy sci-fi movies' date=' you know that junk that comes on the SCIFI channel? Well, when Ghost Fletcher was eight, he and I were watching a movie called [i']Gargoyles[/i], a 2004 epic starring Michael Pare. Somewhere near the end, the star is talking about a 'murder' by the gargoyle and my eight year old son says, "That's not murder, it's the food chain."

Makes a father proud :thumbup:

You confused me for a second there, sir.

I thought you were talking about this movie, which came out back in '72. (I remember watching it when I was a kid, way back then).

Instead, you're talking about this one. :)

As for kids and language, I can now tell this story...

Way back when my oldest daughter, Caitlin, was a pre-schooler, Susano and I were driving back from a FLGS with her in the child-seat in back when another car cut in front of me close enough to almost trade paint.

"A**hole!" I called out in anger. My darling child repeated the word with glee.

I panicked, dreading explaining this one to my wife when Susano, bless his devious heart, turned around and said, "Katie? When I say 'Say it," you say 'Moron.' Can you do that?"

"Okay!" she replied happily.

"Okay. Say it, Katie," Susano tested.

"Moh-ron!" Caitlin called out in that classic so-cute-you-go-into-insulin-shock voice little girls have.

After that, it became a stand-by at our games. Caitlin would usually be playing on the floor nearby as we gamed and, when one of the players did something stupid, someone would invariably call out, "Say it, Katie!"

"Moh-ron!" the cheerful reply would come back.

I think it stopped working around the time she hit eight. :D

also at Folsom Street Faire, gathered with the perveratti at Wicked Grounds (SF's new Cafe/Kinky boutique)...

An hour or so earlier, a drunk hippie was running around non-consensually smacking people with a heavy leather belt. K. & myself both shrugged it off as a dumb & stupid, but J. took offense, caught the belt and snarled at him "Not without permission". He started to escalate, so to head things off at the pass, I intervened, which included grabbing his windpipe ever so gently but with the promise of bad things to come if he didn't chill.

While recounting the encounter, I commented...

"When are normal people gonna figure out not to mess with the people who study how to hurt other people as a hobby?"

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players."

-- William Shakespeare

"The world has changed a lot since the Bard penned those words. We're all performing on HBO nowadays."

-- tkdguy

"God does not play dice with the universe."

-- Albert Einstein

"I agree with Al. Poker seems to be the Almighty's game."

-- tkdguy